• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Veelk

Banned
What are everyone's thoughts on Finch's wonder woman?

I just read the issues that are out. I like the build up of conflict regarding Diana as Queen of the amazons, but the bug subplot is pretty uncompelling. I don't like how the main conflict here seems to be "whatever you choose to do is wrong", when the conflicting forces just seem kind of shallow. Also, whoever the artist is is pretty good, but wonder woman looks like she has the face of a preteen.

It's an okay run and while I didn't mind azzarello focusing on multiple characters, it is good to get more of Diana's internalized thoughts. It's just kind of amateurish in how it's written, with the side characters feeling artificially constructed just for this conflict.

dan2026

So what's this I'm hearing about Iceman being gay all of a sudden?

How do they reconsile that with like 50 years of him not being gay?

What are everyone's thoughts on Finch's wonder woman?

I just read the issues that are out. I like the build up of conflict regarding Diana as Queen of the amazons, but the bug subplot is pretty uncompelling. I don't like how the main conflict here seems to be "whatever you choose to do is wrong", when the conflicting forces just seem kind of shallow. Also, whoever the artist is is pretty good, but wonder woman looks like she has the face of a preteen.

It's an okay run and while I didn't mind azzarello focusing on multiple characters, it is good to get more of Diana's internalized thoughts. It's just kind of amateurish in how it's written, with the side characters feeling artificially constructed just for this conflict.

It's the Finches, a husband and wife team. David Finch on art Meredith Finch on writing. She is a new writer so that's where the amateurish writing comes from. I'd definitely agree that David Finch can draw gorgeous work but sometimes he does the baby face thing and it's super weird. The general consensus I've seen is that the run has been overall a disappointment. I don't feel it's terrible, personally, but it's not top of the pile material.

Other than the long awaited issue of Batman and Avengers/New Avengers finales, it's a quiet week for me:
Batman #40
Convergence #4
Convergence Detective Comics #1
Twilight Zone Shadow And Substance #4
Avengers #44
Inhuman #14
New Avengers #33
New Avengers Ultron Forever #1
Nova #30
Silk #3
Silver Surfer #11

I did pick up volumes #1 of God Hates Astronauts & Superior Foes of Spider-man last week though so I'd best use my spare time to get through those!

Squire

Banned
Marjory Liu's run on Astonishing X-Men is treating me right. This is the exact tone consistency and team change-up the book needed to really follow up on what Whedon started. It's worthy of its name; Far better than Ellis' X-Gene nonsense.

I should've known they'd fuck up with that wedding issue though. Goddamnit. Warbird is so cool, too. :(

Sandfox

I'm back to work, feet are sore.

C2E2 was pretty awesome, sucked my buddy going with me backed out last second, but ended up meeting up with some old friends there.

I didn't take much pics once I was moving around in there, was on a mission.
upC8duj.jpg
Gc6HQCY.jpg

I got Batman #1 signed by Scott Snyder and witness/graded by CGC which was my main goal besides art sketch's. Snyders line was a long wait as usual. Made a couple friends, they were also getting #1 signed and graded(his girlfriend got 3 of my batman books signed (3 book max))

Once I got Batman signed I wanted to just walk around and also get some sketches. Last year I didn't get to really enjoy it because I spent the whole time getting signatures.

Most of these sketches were fairly quick, and I decided to tell the artist to just sketch whatever they wanted.. Patrick Gleason wanted to draw something I liked tho so.. duh batman.
(A lot of the sketches were really quick and some a little persuaded because most were pretty busy doing commissions)

First sketch I got was from Robbi Rodriguez. He was very cool and appreciated my "kind words"
Sucked I really wanted to get a longer sketch but he did have a big line forming.

This next artist blew my mind,, Michael Manomivibul. I really wish I bought more prints he was giving me a good deal on them.
But I'm really glad I got a sketch done. Probably one of my favorite artist I found in artist alley.

Next is Eric Canete(RunLoveKill #1),, cant say enough good things about this guy. Super nice, humble, very appreciated of what I had to say. Just made me even more of a fan.

This was just a random artist that had some cool art at his table. I feel bad I'm not positive on his name, I might have a business card at home.
Anyways he did an awesome sketch.

Next is Jimmy Hasse, Another random artist. Really nice guy, very down to earth. I asked him for a sketch but he was kinda busy and didn't have a lot of his supplies. After chatting with him he just grabbed a pencil and said he knows what he'd like to do a quick sketch of.
I approve lol

I asked Geof Darrow for a sketch, his replay.. "really but I'm old and lazy". Lol. but he didn't mind doing a quick one...
Also I think this was his scribble pad?? idk it was in my book.

Not positive on this artists name. But did a quick random sketch.

Got a SUPER quick sketch from Aaron Kuder,, he was super busy tho.

Next was a random guy Johnathan La Mantia,, he had some cool dark artwork, still not sure what this sketch is.. a bird type thing?? lol

Next is Patrick Gleason. I was really happy to get a sketch from him, almost didn't happen. He was really busy, and also had a friggin hand brace on... on his right hand!
He said he messed it up the other week not sure how. But after quickly chatting, he stopped his other drawing and did me a quick sketch. Nice guy

Walked by some OG wrestlers (at least for me)

Aright well that was most of my C2E2, sorry im done picture spamming now, overall it was a great Con.

Psssshhh. The money has been taken out of my bank account for Arkham Knight for a few weeks now. Who needs a trailer for hype? It's Batman.

But seriously, the trailer is hype as fuck!

7DAcUxH.jpg

Yeah but plenty of trailers show no restraint and show way too much. Kind of like movie trailers.

There's not a lot of story in it, but it confirms the reappearance of some characters and shows off a new gameplay element, which we're not sure how it's going to work. I think it had less story than any of the previous trailers.

There's not a lot of story in it, but it confirms the reappearance of some characters and shows off a new gameplay element, which we're not sure how it's going to work. I think it had less story than any of the previous trailers.

Well... there is a bit of a plot spoiler, but really it's a super-obvious one.

Bloodborne was good but Arkham Knight is shaping up to be my next gen defining game.

iivGBL6dAh17p.gif

Even though I hit the recommend specs, I am going to lose so many frames.

Since Zelda got pushed back to next year this is my most anticipated title of the year.

For reals though, the PS4/One have been disappointing as Next Gen systems software wise. The Wii U has been delivering on software, while I continue to wait for shit on the other systems.

I have a ton of indie and such games on my PS4 but they're not filling the void on that system for me.

*edit*

Talking about games with ComicGaf List

Batman #40
Convergence #4
Convergence Action Comics #1
Convergence Blue Beetle #1
Convergence Booster Gold #1
Convergence Crime Syndicate #1
Convergence Detective Comics #1
Convergence Justice Society Of America #1
Convergence Plastic Man And The Freedom Fighters #1
Convergence Shazam #1
Convergence World's Finest Comics #1
Justice League #40
Multiversity #2
Superman #40

Well... there is a bit of a plot spoiler, but really it's a super-obvious one.

I just watched it a second time, but I'm not seeing it. Whatever it is, it might be so obvious it's just something I expected. Either way, I rather not fill up this thread with spoiler talk, tagged or otherwise.

arkon

I have:
-New 52 Earth 2 volume 1
-New 52 Constantine volume 3
-Hellblazer volume 1
-Ms. Marvel volume 2
-Daredevil The Ultimate Collection (Bendis) volume 2
-Fables volume 9
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 volume 3 (the hardcover library edition)
-Hellboy volume 6 (Library Edition)

It's a lot

That's not that big. Mine's bigger.

Bii

Great post, ThyMusicMan. I regret not getting my Batman #1 signed last year by Snyder. I'm going to take mine with me to SDCC and see if I can catch him again.

I really like seeing sketches other con goers get. I was checking the guest list for C2E2 and man, there are some artists there that I'd love to get a sketch from.

As tempting as it is to maintain a sketchbook without a theme, I can't do it. I actually ordered another sketchbook so I can start up a new theme/idea I've been kicking around for awhile. Hopefully I can get that book going this weekend during Free Comic Book Day at my LCS.

Be sure to post more on your con experiences as you attend them. :D

Does anyone know how to fix this - I downloaded 12 comics to read offline in Marvel Unlimited a few days ago and it was successful but now when I go to them it wants me to download them again. And if I just try to read an issue online now it tells me something like "failed to download issue resource" everytime effectively making my subscription useless at the moment.

Does anyone know how to fix this - I downloaded 12 comics to read offline in Marvel Unlimited a few days ago and it was successful but now when I go to them it wants me to download them again. And if I just try to read an issue online now it tells me something like "failed to download issue resource" everytime effectively making my subscription useless at the moment.

Did you update the app after downloading them? That might be why.

CBTech

Psssshhh. The money has been taken out of my bank account for Arkham Knight for a few weeks now. Who needs a trailer for hype? It's Batman.

But seriously, the trailer is hype as fuck!

Nightwing not just a challenge mode character?
Day 1.

I was actually considering passing on this game, but that just turned it right around. Maybe I should play Origins even if I've heard it wasn't as good as Asylum and City.

Day 1.

I was actually considering passing on this game, but that just turned it right around. Maybe I should play Origins even if I've heard it wasn't as good as Asylum and City.

I liked it better than City. I thought it was more focused, tighter. Had a more interesting story.

Day 1.

I'm with you 100%
well, except about the passing on the game altogether part; but Nightwing is ma boi

Origins had a better story than Asylum or City in my opinion; the gameplay "enhancements" basically add nothing to the game, as long as you ignore the Shock Gloves which actually take away from the game. It's basically just like City otherwise. It was a decent enough game to fill the void. However, my favorite thing from the games, the challenge maps, lack good design. They're just kind of all over the place, especially when you take into consideration the new gadgets. Also, if you get deep into the combat system like I did, the martial arts enemies really ruin the flow of combat.

Most of the negatives are just there if you start looking too closely. Otherwise, it's a fine game.

Top Bottom