• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Afrodium

Banned
I can't believe I never did a price comparison of Image digital singles to trades. This is great. I'm about to jump into a bunch of Image titles I've been trade-waiting on.

I can't believe I never did a price comparison of Image digital singles to trades. This is great. I'm about to jump into a bunch of Image titles I've been trade-waiting on.

Same

Speaking of, did anyone else read Supreme: Blue Rose? I kinda don't know what to make of it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh yeah Monday is MU update day, almost forgot :)

kmfdmpig

Can people sound off on what tablets they read their comics on? Trying to find a decent one without selling my soul to Samsung.

It's Samsung, but the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 is the perfect device for comics on a tablet. If you hate Touchwiz (many do) then just put Nova Launcher on it and it's like any other tablet. The Samsung stuff does not cause problems (at least for me).

See this thread for details:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895073

Here's an explanation on why 16:10 is the best aspect ratio for comics (unless you read a ton of two page panels which will be better on 4:3 like the iPad).
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185043

PsychBat!

Banned
So basically make Monica Captain Marvel again? Nope, ain't happening. I do see her point, Carol is uninteresting compared to Kamala, Silk, Doreen or even Angela. Her first arc is way better than her second arc. Kelly Sue just needs to find what worked with the first arc and improve on that.
I have faith in Marvel will make Carol interesting with her movie.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I mostly read on my note 4 at work, but I got a cheap samsung tablet to use at home, a 10 inch one but I forget the model

Also, Secret Avengers #9 continues to be awesome and it's a goddamn tragedy how short this run was

SeZMehK

Hey GAF. I was wondering if this would be the right place to ask as to where I should start reading Spiderman. I know there are different versions but which should I start at. Thanks.

Also, Secret Avengers #9 continues to be awesome and it's a goddamn tragedy how short this run was

I read that one today, too.

Image-371.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
man if only someone had been repping for this book for a long-ass while hmmmm

anyways, Bendis has more on Bobby, and, man, I get you but I also don't, come on, like I get bumbling big announcements because that's like, all of my life, but, it's the mother of all bumbles and all the context means you left all kinds of weird bullshit to be answered later and it's garbage

So not only are the singles less expensive than the trades, but they have more stuff. Alright

Is this a special promotion that makes all of Image's singles $2, or are they always like that?
If you wait, image does a lot of good 99cent issue sales. The only time I buy a trade is when CMX does a sale on a trade and not single issues. Or the trade discount is greater than 99cent per issue

But marvel does Monday sales and usually Friday
DC usually does week long sales from Tuesday to Monday
Image and the rest due weekend sales

Image and other indie comics go to $2 after a month
DC drops a $1 after 2 months
Marvel it takes at least 6 months and usually after a trade is out to drop digital prices.

Vyer

Prime brings back some memories. For some reason I remember that transformation as being unnecessarily messy.

Can people sound off on what tablets they read their comics on? Trying to find a decent one without selling my soul to Samsung.

If you're looking for cheap, I'd prob look at the large Kindles. You might be able to find a Nexus 9 for cheaper soon.

The Samsung screen size/ratio is good if you're only looking for a comics reader, but I don't like it for anything else and personally wouldn't spend that much for an Android tablet. If cost is not prohibitive, I prefer the Air 2.

If you wait, image does a lot of good 99cent issue sales. The only time I buy a trade is when CMX does a sale on a trade and not single issues. Or the trade discount is greater than 99cent per issue

But marvel does Monday sales and usually Friday
DC usually does week long sales from Tuesday to Monday
Image and the rest due weekend sales

Image and other indie comics go to $2 after a month
DC drops a $1 after 2 months
Marvel it takes at least 6 months and usually after a trade is out to drop digital prices.

Thanks for the info! My wallet will make good use of it

Sandfox

So basically make Monica Captain Marvel again? Nope, ain't happening. I do see her point, Carol is uninteresting compared to Kamala, Silk, Doreen or even Angela. Her first arc is way better than her second arc. Kelly Sue just needs to find what worked with the first arc and improve on that.
I have been a fan of Carol and what I've been hearing about the current ongoing just makes me not want to read about the character at all. Given that the book still struggles to sell I think Marvel needs to make big changes.
man if only someone had been repping for this book for a long-ass while hmmmm

anyways, Bendis has more on Bobby, and, man, I get you but I also don't, come on, like I get bumbling big announcements because that's like, all of my life, but, it's the mother of all bumbles and all the context means you left all kinds of weird bullshit to be answered later and it's garbage
He's basically saying that its impossible to please everyone and he got messages from people in the LGBT community from both sides so it seemingly went over well enough. Now we just need to see what comes next.

Hey GAF. I was wondering if this would be the right place to ask as to where I should start reading Spiderman. I know there are different versions but which should I start at. Thanks.
You should read Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis. You can find the entire run on Marvel Unlimited, which if you're not familiar is basically the Netflix for marvel comics

You should read Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis. You can find the entire run on Marvel Unlimited, which if you're not familiar is basically the Netflix for marvel comics

I concur with this. It's a fantastic run, and the only thing of value to come out of the Ultimate 'verse

There's a bit over 100 issues and it gets retitled and renumbered a couple times, but man is it so good. Great introduction and series, even if it's not "mainline universe" stuff.

tim1138

It all depends on what kind of Spidey story are you looking for. A good place to start is Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man run.

Sandfox

If you just to read some good Spider-man go with the original volume of Ultimate Spider-Man as mentioned before, but if you just want to get into mainline Spider-Man you can start with the current ongoing.

zennyzz

What's the word on Spider Verse again?

What about it specifically?

Edge of - Generally really good. Only short fall is issue 3

Spiderwoman - Pointless to bad, Silk is pretty insufferable in this

Team Ups - Mixed bag, some great, others not.

Scarlet Spider - Really fun

2099 - no clue, never read

Main series - Alright, just alright. More wasted potential than anything

Rhaknar

Almost 6 months into MU Im still flabergasted at the value of it

Afrodium

Banned

A few months back I was asking the same question. I wanted to know how to jump into The Amazing Spider-Man and didn't listen to all the suggestions for Ultimate Spider-Man. I wanted the REAL Spider-Man, the one that is weaving in and out of Daredevil and Avengers comics and whatnot, not some alternate universe Spidey.

After numerous attempts to get into 616 Spider-Man, I highly suggest reading Ultimate Spider-Man.

mreddie

I have been a fan of Carol and what I've been hearing about the current ongoing just makes me not want to read about the character at all. Given that the book still struggles to sell I think Marvel needs to make big changes.

I think either she needs a new writer or put Carol back on Earth.

tim1138

I've been rereading God Hates Astronauts (because it's the best comic since ever), and Charles Soulw really contributed quite a bit as the new narrator last issue. This send up of 90s costumes makes new laugh so much and Time Giraffe is a huge perv. Also if you don't like this book and it gets cancelled you're dead to me.

Rhaknar

This Death of Wolverine: Deadpool and OldCap special is so weird. Is there any reason whatsoever why Cap, even old Cap, would team up with Deadpool of all people?

Top Bottom