• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Messi

iQOI8qZZ6MEpX.gif

EDIIT: well shit. this is what happens when you hang out here all day. I posted in the wrong thread in my hype.

ElNarez

Banned
looked at my budget for the week and FUCK Marvel for putting in so many 4,99 books this week straight up I do not know if any is really worth it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One thing I really wish they would do on MU is put the annuals with whatever book they are annual for, I never know when there is one until I randomly run into it in the last page suggestions of other books, or if I remember to look for them myself

Bloodember

Is anyone else having issues with Marvel U, I can't get any issues to load. Been like this for three hours. And yes I force killed it and restarted it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is anyone else having issues with Marvel U, I can't get any issues to load. Been like this for three hours. And yes I force killed it and restarted it.

Nope been reading for a few hours

frye

Whatever its (many) faults it's always been my impression that DC has been the better company of the two for these things historically so this really does suck to see even if it's been a long time coming.

iirc when Conway was told that Felicity Smoak (?) was introduced in Arrow he seemed to give DC the benefit of the doubt when they didn't tell him so this is a change in attitude from him.

Rhaknar

Wanted a break from Deadpool so decided to read the latest F4 volume (also because I believe Original Sin starts there?), first issue was ok, pretty much what I expect from a normal F4 comic (as in a non-Hickman F4) and intrigued enough to see where this fall of fantastic four arc goes. Also those red and black costumes are dope as shit.

The late-90s Christopher Priest run on Black Panther is super great. I'm about halfway done right now and relishing every issue

Well, except this one issue where every single plot point it's running off of got introduced in Avengers #44, so I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Par for the course, I'm sure it's not very exciting anyway

Can't wait to finish out this long run, hope it stays this quality the whole time

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Ugh, I'm currently reading Snyder's Batman run starting from the beginning of the New 52, but now I think I almost want to go back and get all of Grant Morrison's Batman run (I would love to get the individual issues) as well. I just want to get the entire story behind Batman, Inc., Damian Wayne, and maybe even the Death of Batman (with Nightwing as Bats for a bit). I'm not sure how hard all that would be to track down though, nor how many issues that includes.

Rhaknar

I take it back, no comic loads now. Guess their servers had a brain fart

Edit: and it's good again

Ugh, I'm currently reading Snyder's Batman run starting from the beginning of the New 52, but now I think I almost want to go back and get all of Grant Morrison's Batman run (I would love to get the individual issues) as well. I just want to get the entire story behind Batman, Inc., Damian Wayne, and maybe even the Death of Batman (with Nightwing as Bats for a bit). I'm not sure how hard all that would be to track down though, nor how many issues that includes.

Full guide here, including issues, trades, and other material

http://comicsastonish.com/2012/01/04/a-readers-guide-to-grant-morrisons-batman/

Enjoy!

I take it back, no comic loads now. Guess their servers had a brain fart

Edit: and it's good again

Every night around 12-3AM Pacific Time Marvel servers start crapping out something awful for me. I don't know if that's when they do maintenance or if the late-night administrators are getting high or what

Rhaknar

Just "dropped" my first book (as much as you can drop something on MU), All New Invaders was doing absolutely nothing for me and it was literally wasting my time when I have so much to read

Just "dropped" my first book (as much as you can drop something on MU), All New Invaders was doing absolutely nothing for me and it was literally wasting my time when I have so much to read

No, Rhaknar. Not like this. You were supposed to be the best of us. To never feel the touch of a bad book or become jaded.

Rhaknar

No, Rhaknar. Not like this. You were supposed to be the best of us. To never feel the touch of a bad book or become jaded.

Sorry. All New Ghost Rider came close a few times too but I've still been reading it.

But hey I've been reading a fuckton again (Deadpool up to the mid 20s, catching up a bit on all things Avengers, the new Fantastic Four) Invaders was just THAT uninteresting :p

Also wait, I've felt the touch of bad books a bunch of times... hell most would say the majority I've read is bad (dem full events)

Just finished The Dark Knight Strikes Again as recommended heavily by Ales Kot on Twitter. It seems the consensus here at GAF is the books is terrible. Not universally hated but disliked by most. So that's the lens that I went into the book. That being, there are people out there that found redeeming qualities in it. So that's what I looked for.

Right now, as I probably need more time to process it, I can't tell you if I liked it or not. There would be part where I said this is cool! Other parts I thought were bad. Some parts had a good message, other parts the message was corny. Some parts the characterization were good, others terrible. Some parts the art was good, other parts were terrible. You see the pattern here? It never stayed consistently good or bad. I can see how Ales Kot can label the book "punk rock as fuck". You can see Frank Millers love for Batman in the book. That comes at the price of many character assassinations. Also, I heard from people at this forum that Miller is a perverted old man and maybe he is, I don't know. But this book to me, is definitely a satire on the over sexualization of women in superhero comics. It reminded me at last years SDCC at the Bat panel and someone asked Frank about the women of DC Comics and he said something to the affect that they all need better stories. Something like they are all crutches. Anyways, it's 3:30 and I'm tired and I'm gonna sleep and maybe formulate more thoughts on it tomorrow.

In short, the book was weird.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So the next chapter of Batman is available digitally and all I can say is holy fucking shit. I am legit shocked that DC did not tease this, that they actually let this happen. This book man, this fucking book.

So the next chapter of Batman is available digitally and all I can say is holy fucking shit. I am legit shocked that DC did not tease this, that they actually let this happen. This book man, this fucking book.

Spoil my weak self, please :p Even in a PM or whatever.

Edit: Someone spoiled a tiny bit of the ending on FAQs.

This book man, this fucking book indeed.

Squire

Banned
I'm nine issues into Zeb Wells' New Mutants and I think it's really solid stuff. Nice team. Love that there are no regulars.

Also almost done with Astonishing X-Men. Marjorie Liu is so great. She has a real style. I think it helps that she writes novels in addition to comics. She's great at writing these emotional moments and putting characters in relatable, realistic situations when they're living they're normal lives, and then turning around and telling a (pretty dark) X-Men story. I would love to see her write the central X-Men book (whatever it's called, post-Secret Wars.) I'm definitely going to check out X-23 next.

Also, Karma is in both these books. That's a coincidence on my end, but she has really grown on me.

Euuuuughhhh the wait until after work has just gotten all the more difficult!

Tizoc

So that's it huh? Multiversity ends tomorrow...the conclusion...the finale...
Well it'll be a billion times better than whatever Synder comes up with :V

Zombine

Banned
I feel like I'm missing something here. This week isn't that great for those of us that aren't indoctrinated.

Batman
Shazam (which could be shit)
Multiversity (which will be awesome)
Princess Leia
Silver Surfer
Silk
Daredevil
Captain America

Messi

I feel like I'm missing something here. This week isn't that great for those of us that aren't indoctrinated.

Batman
Shazam (which could be shit)
Multiversity (which will be awesome)
Princess Leia
Silver Surfer
Silk
Daredevil
Captain America

You totally forgot Jem. I will forgive you.

Zombine

Banned
You totally forgot Jem. I will forgive you.

And Jem. It's legit a "whatever" week for me. Multiversity saves it in my opinion. I can pretty much summarize this Hickman Avengers crap:

Someone gets punched, someone does something "badass", there's some reveal, and then Marvel says "plz buy r event." I'm not a Marvel Hickman fan. Avengers belong to Remender; he doesn't want to be a Grant Morrison Jr.

Multiversity...

Wut

So it was a secret Avengers/JL crossover? Or that Morrison is building to a sequel which would be a legit amazeballs Marvel/DC crossover in Ultimate Crisis?

Crazy(based)Morrison.

Tizoc

Dem exclusive content
2839326-exclusive.jpg

I just noticed how bad Arkham Knight situation is:

-PS4 get exclusive Scarecrow pre-order pack
-Gamestop has exclusive Red Hood pre-order pack
-All pre-order get exclusive Harley Quinn pre-order pack
-40€ season pass
That should've been exclusive just to mess with Messi XP

Bad news. They were both perfect. Sorry, dude.

Oh wait I forgot comics release by Mid-week :V

Well I read them on Fridays so lookin' forward to multiversity =3

Top Bottom