• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Comics!

Got up to date on Grayson. It's solid, but doesn't quite live up to the hype. The bits with the girls at the school are great, though, looking forward to more of that.

As compared to what? As far as I can recall this is the first OGN they've put out in quite a while.

Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business, Thanos: The Infinity Revelation, and Avengers: Endless War are pretty recent OGNs they've released. They're also releasing Thanos: The Infinity Relativity in a few months.

As compared to what? As far as I can recall this is the first OGN they've put out in quite a while.

There's a whole line of them:

Avengers: Endless Wartime
Amazing Spider-Man: Family Business
X-Men: No More Mutants
Thanos: Infinity Revelation

Then there's Rage of Ultron, and the Thanos one is getting a sequel called Infinity Relativity.

EDIT: Dammit.

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, I remember Family Business now. Meant to pick that up. The rest, meh.

Lol corny ass Peter Parker dialogue by Waid is what you're missing. The only other person here who has his number is Rafa.

Really awesome dude who has written some wonderful books, but Family Buisness is not one of them. The art is stellar though.

Zombine

Banned
Can Ben or Ed or both explain Inking to me? I am not trying to generalize here or talk down on the craft, but it legit looks like all an Inker does is go over the pencil in black sharpie. Is it that easy?

frye

hell, no what

I mean I'm sure there's a good History of Inking piece out there, but you can do as something as simple as looking up your favourite artists' original pencils and compare them with the inked pieces. If you're just throwing shade at the position of the inker in general then one (time-consuming) thing you could do is just read the first 50 or 60 issue of Kirby's Fantastic Four and compare all the inkers he goes through until Joe Sinnott comes on and see what the craft involved in it is. Inkers are artists, a position that came out of the division of labour that defined comics production here and crappy printers, but artists nonetheless.

e: like right now I'm rereading Justice League Elite and gosh I wish Mahnke had a dedicated inker like Tom Nguyen again, he's still great but there's inherent inconsistency in having multiple inkers on every comic he draws now

Can Ben or Ed or both explain Inking to me? I am not trying to generalize here or talk down on the craft, but it legit looks like all an Inker does is go over the pencil in black sharpie. Is it that easy?

Inking is a lot of work and it is not as easy as it seems

Zombine

Banned
hell, no what

I mean I'm sure there's a good History of Inking piece out there, but you can do as something as simple as looking up your favourite artists' original pencils and compare them with the inked pieces. If you're just throwing shade at the position of the inker in general then one (time-consuming) thing you could do is just read the first 50 or 60 issue of Kirby's Fantastic Four and compare all the inkers he goes through until Joe Sinnott comes on and see what the craft involved in it is. Inkers are artists, a position that came out of the division of labour that defined comics production here and crappy printers, but artists nonetheless.

Well see, that's kind of what I did. I was looking at my two Walking Dead pages that I own, the pencils by Adlard, and the inking by Rathburn, and while the inks looked AMAZING, I said to myself "Why can't I do that?"

I mean, I can draw, but I have never dived into the world of inking. I didn't really know how to get to be the "inker", and that made me curious how complex or difficult it really is when the pencils map out where the inks should go.

Messi

I am shaking my head so hard it might fall off

MG310

I've been telling myself the past few years that if I don't end up going to SDCC, I'm going to Wondercon instead. Maybe next year I'll put it on my schedule and just have a go at it. I haven't been to Anaheim in a few years so it would be nice to visit there again.

Big Wow is two weeks away and I have already made contact with Paolo Rivera to see if he can fit me in for a sketch. Told him I was going straight to his booth first thing Saturday morning and he was okay with that. But man, there's so many talented artists there, I'm excited to see them all: http://www.bigwowcomicfest.com/guests/artists_alley/
Any names there that I should keep an eye on? I've heard Don Rosa gives out free sketches but unsure if he would do something outside of Scrooge/Disney characters. Frank Cho might be tough to get.

Difficult and pretty expensive..plus it seems like he's been doing blank covers in his spare time and bringing those with him to shows to sell.

Any idea on who you are getting from Paolo?

Bii

It's a pretty good show. kinda like a diet SDCC.

and holy shit, the shit i'd do to get a Paolo Riviera commish. Dude drew one of my first fav comics. Also that's not a bad artists alley. Dave Gibbons, Dennis Culver, Justin Greenwood, Ramon Villalobos (keep an eye out for sure), Joe Quinones, Jake Lloyd. Definitely and get a sketch from Jake Lloyd.

Jake Lloyd is a no-brainer. Dude has mad skillz.

Yeah, I secured a copy of Rage of Ultron as well.

Gonna get down on friday.

Tempted to put this on my IST order.

Also finally got caught up with my floppies!!! YES!!!!

Difficult and pretty expensive..plus it seems like he's been doing blank covers in his spare time and bringing those with him to shows to sell.

Any idea on who you are getting from Paolo?

You talking about Paolo? I know he does things ahead but had told me that he'll put me on the list and see if there's any time during the con that he can fit me in his schedule. I'm sure if he finishes the preordered commissions he has, he'll have time to do some sketches at the con.

I'm getting Batman from him. If it's just a head sketch, there's not much I can ask from him other than which version. I'll see if he can do a half-body shot if he does something for me, though I would be perfectly fine with just a head sketch.

frye

Well see, that's kind of what I did. I was looking at my two Walking Dead pages that I own, the pencils by Adlard, and the inking by Rathburn, and while the inks looked AMAZING, I said to myself "Why can't I do that?"

I mean, I can draw, but I have never dived into the world of inking. I didn't really know how to get to be the "inker", and that made me curious how complex or difficult it really is when the pencils map out where the inks should go.

Like, if you're of the position that inkers are really only following guidelines already laid out by the pencils then basically every inker should be interchangeable, which is clearly not the case, right? There's a reason JRJR only works with Klaus Janson now and that's because Janson makes JRJR look good. Inkers make choices, of light, of shadow, of what aspects of the drawing to emphasize, and those choices affect how the finished art looks.

Owzers

Last Man on Earth kinda tanked...they made Phil super annoying in a cringey way that is not enjoyable :/ Another show betrays me.

Neoxon

For those who care.

Moving along... more important news. We've been advised by Marvel executives to reduce Xmen products - this means 4 line ups are affected so we will have to delay the launch of Deadpool, Brown Wolvie, Quick silver, Scarlet Witch.

On the upside, that means we will swop in non Xmen characters in their place. Ben will be posting a poll soon on which characters will be taking their place in 2015 - 2016 line up. Punisher etc...

This came from StatueForum.

MG310

You talking about Paolo? I know he does things ahead but had told me that he'll put me on the list and see if there's any time during the con that he can fit me in his schedule. I'm sure if he finishes the preordered commissions he has, he'll have time to do some sketches at the con.

I'm getting Batman from him. If it's just a head sketch, there's not much I can ask from him other than which version. I'll see if he can do a half-body shot if he does something for me, though I would be perfectly fine with just a head sketch.

I was talking about Cho for the first part about the sketch covers/price.

Zombine

Banned
Like, if you're of the position that inkers are really only following guidelines already laid out by the pencils then basically every inker should be interchangeable, which is clearly not the case, right? There's a reason JRJR only works with Klaus Janson now and that's because Janson makes JRJR look good. Inkers make choices, of light, of shadow, of what aspects of the drawing to emphasize, and those choices affect how the finished art looks.

Yup I get it now. That's pretty awesome. I'd like to take a shot at it myself.

frye

yeah, sorry if I went in a bit hard, but I was literally thinking "man good inking owns" while reading JLE yesterday.

I think you're right that there are some crap inkers who aren't very interesting or very good at their job but that's what makes the good ones more interesting (Much Like All Art)

Zombine

Banned
yeah, sorry if I went in a bit hard, but I was literally thinking "man good inking owns" while reading JLE yesterday.

I think you're right that there are some crap inkers who aren't very interesting or very good at their job but that's what makes the good ones more interesting (Much Like All Art)

Nah like that's what I wanted. I needed someone to go in and explain it because it legit just looked like tracing and filling in the blank spots with black. I don't do the whole comic art thing. I'm a far better writer and translating what a scene should look like for the artist than doing it myself. I just kind of let that art part happen and I don't ask questions.

Speaking of writing, I use Final Draft and I just realized that they have an iPad app. It's kind of convenient.

Ill go over it in a bit. Gotta try to source some images. Might be a bit difficult finding some specific images

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres a female Punisher costume in MH now, Rachel something. What alternative universe is that from, Ultimate or something?

MG310

theres a female Punisher costume in MH now, Rachel something. What alternative universe is that from, Ultimate or something?

616 - Rachel Cole-Alves from the Rucka/Chechetto Punisher run.

rachelref.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
love that art, good run? wonder if its on MU

Caught up on the last two eps of the flash. I thought this show would be good but OMG what an amazing show. Being a johns/waid flash fan this show makes me so happy. And Mark Hamill is awesome

Also the thing you don't get from Sharpie is line weight. That's the key to inking. A penciller can only draw a line in one width. An inker and a brush can alter weight whenever they want (check out a nice Jeff Smith page to see some of the best evs).

But nowadays you have bros like Frank Quitely or Jerome Opena who draw in pencil and it doesn't need the added weight and dynamism of line weight. So they just amp up the contrast in Photoshop and call it digital inking. Someone like Ron Garney, as we saw in Thor, really needs the weight of an inker. Esad Ribic does not, but he's an example of someone who draws the weight in pencil, in a much more classical way. (Opena and Quitely are razor sharp and technical in their line.)

It's all in the line, brah. Another benefit of digital is really being able to see the art in the cleanest way, you can really see the work being done (or not done in something like AXIS), in hi res.

Top Bottom