• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Caught up with Crossed Badlands.

Can safely say that David Hine has no business writing anything ever. The man's output is pure drek. Same goes for Lapham. Daniel Way is completely forgettable.

Si Spurrier, Cristos Gage and Jamie Delano, however? Solid. Ennis doesn't miss once, either.

Overall.... if one doesn't like the first ish by a writer's new arc, one can safely drop whatever current storyline is going and skip ishs until they swap to a new writer. Would recommend straight skipping Hine and Lapham. I mean...

Issues #71-74 (#74 yet to be released) follow Uboshita Satoshi on a quest to find his blood brother and help them survive the c-day. Finding the girl he loves (also one of his blood brother) turns to be a harder task than thought, with her father being a mob boss also on the lookout for her they find themselves at a Japanese cosplay convention.

That is the current Hine arc. Someone at Avatar read that synopsis and went "yeah, okay, sure."

Zombine

Banned
Do they have kindle versions?

SeGPZbc.gif

Digital or bust.

My Kindle is the best thing I own. I read lots of trashy sci-fi, fantasy and non-fiction humour stuff, and I love that I can read it without it cluttering up the place with poor quality books with bad cover art. But sometimes you just want a nice print copy of certain books.

Think I'll just grab the 5 Y deluxe since total they are the cost of like one absolute. (well 1.33). Seems like they stay in print too so no rush I guess.

Zombine

Banned
My Kindle is the best thing I own. I read lots of trashy sci-fi, fantasy and non-fiction humour stuff, and I love that I can read it without it cluttering up the place with poor quality books with bad cover art. But sometimes you just want a nice print copy of certain books.

I love conversation pieces for all the people that don't come into my library.

Zombine

Banned
Have you read A New Dawn? I have that on my wish list and I need to utilize my Kindle more often.

That's up next. The QC on these books are insane so I know that New Dawn will never dip below "good." At the very least it'll be a neat compliment to Kanan.

frye

Some inkers can definitely bring their own style to a book. A book inked by Bill Sienkiewicz will have a very distinct ink look to it. He's got these scratchy white lines that cross a lot of objects and some ink splatters. It looks awesome and Maleev probably takes a lot from Bill Sienkiewicz. Here he is on Buscema and Dan Jurgens and on himself ( not totally sure on the last one but I think so)

That last one is actually a Klaus Janson drawing (but if we're being honest if the Sink inks something it becomes his)

dope post

Awwww yiss. The omnibus was super late, but definitely a good delivery today.

There's a Busiek Avengers omnibus? Didn't know that

I have the first hardcover but honestly I didnt like it. I find Kurt Busiek to be a very boring writer and the first story was extremely continuity heavy and not all that interesting (all the avengers get sent back to the middle ages or something) the second arc introduced a character called Tri-Athelon or something which is probably the most forgettable character I've ever read.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Imagine if they ever got their hands on Hunter S Thompson...

That was the main thing I was looking for when I went to their site. I would buy a Folio Society HST book in a heartbeat.
If they did The Rum Diary I would just die.

I have the first hardcover but honestly I didnt like it. I find Kurt Busiek to be a very boring writer and the first story was extremely continuity heavy and not all that interesting (all the avengers get sent back to the middle ages or something) the second arc introduced a character called Tri-Athelon or something which is probably the most forgettable character I've ever read.
Don't listen to Gambit Pai. Busieks run on avengers is my favorite ever. Fun fun fun book. His best work is Astro city but his avengers is like a love letter to classic marvel.

There's actually gonna be another omni collecting the rest of the run. And the first arc was not continuity heavy at all, I was able to read it just fine and my only real experience with 90s Marvel is some ASM. It does a good job at explaining what's what.
Don't listen to Gambit Pai. Busieks run on avengers is my favorite ever. Fun fun fun book. His best work is Astro city but his avengers is like a love letter to classic marvel.

Pai Pai's already read it! He's said it's one of his favorites before.

Easter Bunny list

Convergence Harley Quinn #1
Convergence Question #1
Nameless #3
Rat Queens #10
Saga #27
Walking Dead #140
Howard the Duck #2

Wow. He looks awesome. Not sitting in a chair awesome, but awesome never the less

He goes up for Pre-order on the 9th. PFs are usually in the $400 range, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little more.

All my lettering knowledge is digital and straight from the masters at Comicraft and their essential Guide to Lettering.

If you want to learn about hand lettering, pick up any issue of Cerebus after about issue 75.

Yeah you could buy Cerebus but then you'd be giving money to a big time mysogynist.

Whether or not Lee wanted there to be a difference on tone in the backside, I would still argue that there is. (For example, if you look specifically at Batman's left buttock, you will see that the top half is slightly darker than the bottom half.)

While I agree that the inked piece has a much higher contrast than the pencil drawing (although I imagine it would be difficult for it not to), and as such successfully highlights Batman's position in the composition, I find that Superman subsequently gets slightly lost in it. Looking at the pencils my eye gets drawn more easily from the right of the page to the left, where the contrast of Batman's cape and his body seems to disrupt that in the inked image.
Sure, there is tone there. I think its nice to see the variation in the pencilwork. It gives you a look in to how the piece was done and yeah inks do away with that. Regarding Supes getting lost in the other lines, thats up to the colorist at that point haha.

You also have to keep in mind, Jim Lee's style and the type of inking that goes along with it is part of a product of how comics were printed at the time. Pencilwork would print really really poorly even back in the early 90s. To texturize artwork, you had to do it with inks. Color texture would absolutely get lost due to the poor printing quality.

With digital and better printing (we dont get great printing but it is much better than the early 90s), you could do more books that use pencils for all the linework, but not many pencilers would be up for it. Many would have to change up how they do their linework. Bachalo for example is a very very loose penciler. His work may not be as kinetic if he was asked to do pencils straight to color rather than someone inking his work.

That last one is actually a Klaus Janson drawing (but if we're being honest if the Sink inks something it becomes his)
dope post
I thought it could have been someone else since the figures and perspective was played a bit too straight haha

Yeah Sienkiewicz is pretty distinctive. So its Klaus Johnson huh? So the piece was drawn by a guy mostly known for his inking and inked by a guy known mostly for his mixed media artistry. Comics are cool yo

Cade

Easter? I thought you said Weaster.

I dreamed that I had a dream about a new Cable and Deadpool series written and drawn by Mark Waid. I woke up in the dream and called my friend in tears, told him "I'm fucking crying" because of how good the preview of this new series was, and I went to google it to make sure it was real and wasn't a dream and then I woke up in real life.

I had an inception dream about crying about comics which I think means it's time to read comics again.

Top Bottom