• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Messi

your only mistake was the comic you chose.

I started Guardians Team Up. I like it so far. Love that Stephane Roux is the artist on #2 and I love that
Nebula uses her movie costume
. This is weekly? I love the idea of the guardians teaming up with random marvel characters. Is that She Hulk on the 4th cover? If so , awesome.

Vibranium

Banned
There are some horrible fuckers around here who throw cats into bonfires. Sick fucking bastards. Its been going on years. I always lock up Lionel (my cat) on that night as Fireworks scare him and I don't want those pricks getting him.

Damn... Poor Lionel, what did he do to them?

It's times like that where you could use a real life Harley to get rid of those guys haha.

Happy Easter Comics-Gaf!

Messi

Absolutely loved Guardians Team Up #4. Loved the artwork and it seems this series is going to be a somewhat light hearted mini adventure book starring the guardians and a guest star each month. This month was Gamora ending up on earth weakened and she runs into She Hulk. Wacky Hijinks insue (seriously if you like this kind of thing get this issue, you can pick it up on its own. Each story is stand alone) while trying to fend off a bounty. Gamora is adorable while weakened.

NfEKXRL.jpg

I would love more of this team up. The end had me chucking. It is stupid but it is the right kind of stupid.

Cheska, Freeza and such will love this.

Pretty hard to have money troubles if you use MU and don't burn money on nonsense like statues.

Anyway.

Silver Surfer so good that it's almost making me want to check out slott's spider output.

Dawn keeps on being ridonculously loveable. Make a comic starring Her, Kate Bishop and Kamala and it would legit save comics.

Gintamen

Just read Convergence 0,... so DC really choose to the very same event Marvel has been moving on to for a couple years now? At the very same time?

Just read Convergence 0,... so DC really choose to the very same event Marvel has been moving on to for a couple years now? At the very same time?

Except DC has had this plan for awhile and theirs is already done and in the can just waiting for release.

but let's act like Marvel did it first despite no one knowing anything about Secret War because Hickman is still writing it.

Messi

Except DC has had this plan for awhile and theirs is already done and in the can just waiting for release.

but let's act like Marvel did it first despite no one knowing anything about Secret War because Hickman is still writing it.

Hasn't DCs move been in the works for quite a while? I feel like we have been hearing about it for a year or more

Gintamen

Seems like the DC universes can cooperate instead of fighting against each other.

Is there a confirmation that they've already written every detail already? Anyone can claim something without having to actually prove it.

Not exactly the same. Convergence is about the remnants of already dead timelines fighting, Secret Wars is about fighting for the survival of your existing world.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Its DCs fault when they announce the stuff months after Marvel comes out with their plan.
Its even news for me that DC openly plans this stuff longer and I follow Comicbook news on a daily basis.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's just pure coincidence that they're going on in the same year

Not everything has to be about copying each other or who did it first

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe I'm crazy but I think it's just pure coincidence that they're going on in the same year

Yes, and was not even the word that Hickman and Morrision are friends and talked together about thieir stuff?

Hasn't DCs move been in the works for quite a while? I feel like we have been hearing about it for a year or more

The move was announced a while ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/30/dc-comics-move-los-angeles-new-york

Seems like the DC universes can cooperate instead of fighting against each other.

Is there a confirmation that they've already written every detail already? Anyone can claim something without having to actually prove it.

This was planned because it's what they are releasing while they move. They want the writers and publishing to focus on the move.

There is no way this was thrown together at the last minute because they wanted to copy Marvel. It's 9 parts in 9 weeks plus 40 other comics. This is planned.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/1...-announces-major-publishing-event-convergence

Comprising a weekly comic book series with veteran TV writer Jeff King (Executive Producer of White Collar and Continuum) making his comic book debut as the lead writer on the 9-part series and 40 brand-new 2-part miniseries written and drawn by an exciting and diverse array of star talent, whose teams and titles will be announced in the coming weeks, CONVERGENCE is one of the most epic and inclusive events DC Comics has ever constructed—touching upon every facet of DC Comics’ rich publishing history.

If you’ve been reading THE NEW 52: FUTURES END and EARTH 2: WORLD’S END, now is the moment you’ve been waiting for. All things converge as readers get to experience the DC multiverse like never before—hundreds of heroes, hundreds of villains, numerous worlds, and universe altering events all in one place, one time.

Zombine

Banned

Lol pretty much. I don't think any of the regulars truly give a shit who did what first. I only concern myself with the quality of each release and if the eventual payoff works.

The OT is where you argue Marvel vs DC stupidity.

Brand new to comics and trying to figure out how to attack this - whats everyone in to? Hard copy single issues as they're released? Hard copy volumes/compilations/graphic novels? Digital straight from publisher apps? Digital from comixology? etc

Brand new to comics and trying to figure out how to attack this - whats everyone in to? Hard copy single issues as they're released? Hard copy volumes/compilations/graphic novels? Digital straight from publisher apps? Digital from comixology? etc

I have like 5 things I get hard copies of. The rest is trade or digital.

Yep. We're pretty much publisher agnostic around here. I think it's coincidence as well. It's like Armageddon and Deep Impact, or White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen.

If you're brand new and want to read Marvel, get a Marvel Unlimited sub. It's like Netflix.

I am all digital because I'm too impatient for trades and there's no comic shop that's less than two hours away. I buy the trades of stuff I really like, usually from Amazon UK but if you're in the US you should use In Stock Trades. I also buy every Humble Comics Bundle that comes up.

I still buy my trades physically typically because they're so easy to buy for cheap online. InStockTrades.com sells books for great prices and if your order is above $50 then shipping is free. I will buy trades digitally if there's a good sale on Comixology or if there's a good humble bundle.

For floppies, I switched to Comixology. Less clutter in my room. I'm still buying Multiversity and a few other books physically but I plan on just cutting that out entirely. No need to bag and board digital comics and I don't have to worry about storing and organizing.

SoilBreak

Banned

I mostly do digital(marvel unlimited & comixology) & trades( InStockTrades).

Scribd is also a pretty good digital comic service. Its Marvel collection is definitely not as big as MU but they also offer Valiant, IDW, and Boom comics. It's a great deal if you want to catch up on TMNT or Transformers or something since IDW's trade pricing is ridiculous.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

If you're brand new and want to read Marvel, get a Marvel Unlimited sub. It's like Netflix.

I am all digital because I'm too impatient for trades and there's no comic shop that's less than two hours away. I buy the trades of stuff I really like, usually from Amazon UK but if you're in the US you should use In Stock Trades. I also buy every Humble Comics Bundle that comes up.

Is Star Wars and Darth Vader on Marvel Unlimited?

Tizoc

Get Trade paperbacks, digital or actual book.

What genres do you like or characters you are interested in reading?

Bii

I mainly do floppies aka hard copy singles. I do pick up the occasional trade paperback for series I missed out on ( or a select few I trade wait on). And I only pick up hardcovers if it's the same price or cheaper than its equivalent softcover.

No digital for me. At least not any more.

Bummer. I'm still gonna check this out though.

One last question (for now) - what series of Deadpool is the best one?

The current Deadpool series is supposed to be really great after the first arc.

Other than that, Cable & Deadpool was good fun and Joe Kelly Deadpool is good. Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender isn't strictly a Deadpool book but he's definitely one of the highlights and extremely well-written in it.

Bummer. I'm still gonna check this out though.

One last question (for now) - what series of Deadpool is the best one?

The Joe Kelly run, Cable & Deadpool and the current series are the best ones. Avoid anything written by Daniel Way like the plague.

EDIT: Damn, forgot Uncanny X-Force.

Get Trade paperbacks, digital or actual book.

What genres do you like or characters you are interested in reading?

Never read comics before other than some Invincible and Ys graphic novels. I'm not sure what I'm even looking for really other than the Star Wars and Darth Vader issues. Other than that I'm open to anything anyone thinks is good. Kinda intrigued about what I've heard of Deadpool (especially issue 45 coming this month that Jason Mantzoukas wrote). And I enjoyed Punisher as a character as a kid. I dug Guardians of the Galaxy as a movie and wouldn't mind seeing more of that. And I'd definitely be interested in any series that revolve around space sci-fi / exploration if such a thing exists. Particularly if there's anything like Mass Effect.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Never read comics before other than some Invincible and Ys graphic novels. I'm not sure what I'm even looking for really other than the Star Wars and Darth Vader issues. Other than that I'm open to anything anyone thinks is good. Kinda intrigued about what I've heard of Deadpool (especially issue 45 coming this month that Jason Mantzoukas wrote). And I enjoyed Punisher as a character as a kid. I dug Guardians of the Galaxy as a movie and wouldn't mind seeing more of that. And I'd definitely be interested in any series that revolve around space sci-fi / exploration if such a thing exists. Particularly if there's anything like Mass Effect.

Dont ever buy a Guardians of the Galaxy book by Bendis.

Not exactly the same. Convergence is about the remnants of already dead timelines fighting, Secret Wars is about fighting for the survival of your existing world.

Your wrong actually. Convergence also included the existing Multiverse. The writer of the book even said the most important comic to read for the event is Morrison's Multiversity and we already know the Earth 2 characters are fighting for their survival in this event.

Your wrong actually. Convergence also included the existing Multiverse. The writer of the book even said the most important comic to read for the event is Morrison's Multiversity and we already know the Earth 2 characters are fighting for their survival in this event.

I'm honestly not 100% sure; just going off what I read in the first issue, haven't done the legwork on it. The basic premise would seem to be about dead timelines fighting each other, but it could end up being bigger.

SoilBreak

Banned

You should check out Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning's cosmic marvel saga.

Most of it should be on Marvel Unlimited.

I dug Guardians of the Galaxy as a movie and wouldn't mind seeing more of that. And I'd definitely be interested in any series that revolve around space sci-fi / exploration if such a thing exists. Particularly if there's anything like Mass Effect.

You want Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Avoid Brian Michael Bendis' run.

I must have missed this.

Zombine

Banned
I love how Gamora looks in the comics. The yellow around the eyes is my jam.

Saw a really badass Gamora at FCBD last May. It really was 100% dead on.

Speaking of FCBD, I'm out this year. My LCS fucked it up last year and only let you grab like 4 books and you had to pay for more. It fucking sucked.

Top Bottom