• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Messi

Zero issue 2 and it's pay off still
makes me really sad. Gives me chills thinking about it. I actually gasped and said no when it happened.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Err reading this Civil War: The initiative book, and they are calling some guy that aparently killed Alpha flight (even if that didn't happen on any CW book they list) "Xorn"...but this is not Magneto...whut o_O

I'm so confused

Err reading this Civil War: The initiative book, and they are calling some guy that aparently killed Alpha flight (even if that didn't happen on any CW book they list) "Xorn"...but this is not Magneto...whut o_O

I'm so confused

That's covered in the first Bendis New Avengers series, specifically The Collective arc (#16-20 I think). I actually really enjoyed that book until Civil War.

#19 has one of my favourite covers:
New_Avengers_Vol_1_19_Textless.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's covered in the first Bendis New Avengers series, specifically The Collective arc (#16-20 I think). I actually really enjoyed that book until Civil War.

#19 has one of my favourite covers:

Will have to read that eventually then. Can I be a huge cynic for a second and ask... was civil war around the same time as the first Ironman movie? Because between Tony "winning" the war, being a pointed director of shield, having his own mighty Avengers...you see where I'm going with this :p

Will have to read that eventually then. Can I be a huge cynic for a second and ask... was civil war around the same time as the first Ironman movie? Because between Tony "winning" the war, being a pointed director of shield, having his own mighty Avengers...you see where I'm going with this :p

It was around a year before. The movie was a huge amount of mood whiplash, at least for me, because Iron Man was never that fun in the comics. In the movie he was funny and he had swagger, in the comics he was still being a douche (making SHIELD helicarrier red and gold, picking his Avengers team like a bold child picking all the super-strong types, getting New York blown up by the Hulk because of a mess he partially caused) and was completely unrepentant for all the nasty shit he did and was still threatening to have Luke Cage's Avengers arrested every five minutes.

It's actually why I'm so curious about the Captain America: Civil War movie. Iron Man's way more popular in the movies, so I wonder how they're going to turn that into him essentially being the villain, because there's no way an MCU film will be that nuanced.

We did get this in the run-up to Civil War, though, Namor da god:

Civil War was 06-07.
Iron Man was april 2008.

Either way no one knew the first film would be a huge hit, so a conspiracy theory would be even sillier than usual.

It's actually why I'm so curious about the Captain America: Civil War movie. Iron Man's way more popular in the movies, so I wonder how they're going to turn that into him essentially being the villain, because there's no way an MCU film will be that nuanced.

We did get this in the run-up to Civil War, though, Namor da god:

Will most likely be tied to Ultron being Tony's attempt at policing the world. Film Cap already moved towards giving Shield the finger in Cap 2, so Steve being anti-police state is covered already. Have Cap 3 develop the point further and there you go.

But yeah, movie Tony will most likely never be as huge an asshole as comic Tony.

Was quite impressed by Iron Man Fatal Frontier when Ewing designed a character to point out to Tony that he's such a bloody cunt that he had fuckall progress to show for all his time as director of Shield.

Afrodium

Banned
If I know extremely little of the DC universe outside of a few Batman and Superman stories would Convergence be a good place to start or the absolute worst place to start? I can't tell.

If I know extremely little of the DC universe outside of a few Batman and Superman stories would Convergence be a good place to start or the absolute worst place to start? I can't tell.

May as well just wait till after Convergence since most series will be starting new arcs and new ongoings will launch.

May as well just wait till after Convergence since most series will be starting new arcs and new ongoings will launch.

But if he wants to read Batman and Superman comics he's fucked since they both seem like they are continuing their story lines that are going on right now.

Awful. So, so bad.

Just the worst.

EDIT: Not to say it looks like it'll be a bad event, I enjoyed the first issue, but it's gonna be super canon-heavy.

Rhaknar

I dug this Mighty Avengers #1, especially with the Ultron cliffhanger at the end.

Almost done gents :p

Owzers

I don't know how you guys can put up with the acting/writing in Arrow, but then i remember people like Smallville :/

My only hope out of this is that it lowers my expectations so far that Daredevil becomes the best show of the year by comparison.

Rhaknar

Tony visiting Cap at Ryker's:

"lol...you're a sore loser Cap, hold dat L"

Fuck you Tony you piece of shit.

i bought some Cable TPBs and Gambit, Ghost Rider, and Cable sketches this past weekend

the train to the 90s revival is moving forward in full force, brahs

I don't know how you guys can put up with the acting/writing in Arrow, but then i remember people like Smallville :/

My only hope out of this is that it lowers my expectations so far that Daredevil becomes the best show of the year by comparison.
it's not perfect across the board but i think it's very well paced and fun to watch

also Daredevil just looks like a b-rate Arrow

Wow, wife and I just went through our comics boxes. Look at what we done!

DC Comics in June to add
Justice League of America
Black Canary
Constantine The Hellblazer
Dr Fate
Harley Quinn and Powergirl ( Mini)
Robin Son of Batman
Section 8
Starfire
Green Arrow

Pull List

Batman and Robin (Drop)
Batman
Batman Detective Comics
Aquaman
Justice League
Justice League United (Drop)
Supergirl (Drop)
Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman (Drop)
Batman Eternal (Drop)
Batman Eternal (Drop)
Batman Eternal (Drop)
Batman Eternal (Drop)
Batgirl
Catwoman
Deathstroke
Gotham Acedemy
Gotham by Midnight
Grayson
Harely Quinn
Multiversity (Mini)
Secret Six (Drop)
New 52 Futures End (Drop)

Alex and Ada
Afterlife with Archie
American Vampire (Drop)
Annihilator (Mini)
Birthright (Drop)
Bitchplanet
Descender
The Fade Out (Drop)
Lady Killer (Mini)
Rachael Rising (Drop)
Rat Queens (Drop)
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Drop)
SIP Kids (Drop)
The Wicked The Divine (Drop)
Wytches
Black Science (Drop)
Deadly Class
Nailbiter (Drop)
Nameless (Mini)
Outcast (Drop)
Revival
Saga
Sex Criminals
Wayward
Sheltered (Drop)
A Voice in the Dark (Drop)

Star Wars (Drop)
Ms. Marvel Drop)

Owzers

it's not perfect across the board but i think it's very well paced and fun to watch

also Daredevil just looks like a b-rate Arrow

Arrow needs a pizza dog. Thea, Laurel, Ollie's mom, Tommy, everyone but Diggle and Walter annoy me. Thea especially, they really didn't try to do much with her in the first 11 episodes.

DC Comics in June to add
Black Canary
Dr Fate
Robin Son of Batman
Section 8
Starfire
Green Arrow

Pul)[/QUOTE
could you add Cyborg please brah?

sillymonkey, pls. Arrow, while far from a masterpiece, is on a whole 'nother level than Smallville. Plus, it's some fun stuff.

Daredevil I expect to be well put together, critically acclaimed, and absolutely miserable. House of Cards of Comics.

also pulled Deadly Class vol 2, Fade Out Vol 1, Legend of Luther Strode, and some more rando indies idfk

DCBS decisions:

Autumland Tooth and Gaf vol 1 - 4.99
Drifter vol 1 - 4.99
Rumble vol 1 - 4.99

I read the first issues of Drifter and Rumble that i had ordered a while ago to test out, both were okay but didn't sell me on the series.Which out of these do i need to order?
i mean i'd go with Drifter, i didn't much care for Rumble

I remember the roaring 20s. Those flappers always made my heart go a mile a minute.

I bought a steampunk comic from some dude, too. I just wish we could go back to the good ol days of the late 1800s

DC Comics in June to add
Black Canary
Dr Fate
Robin Son of Batman
Section 8
Starfire
Green Arrow

Pul)
could you add Cyborg please brah?

Im going to the shop tomorrow and editing my lest in their computer system. Cyborg is a July title so I cant add that yet but I am.

Rhaknar

IM: who are you?

Hawkeye: I'm Hawkeye Bro and I'm totally flabergasted that Captain America is dead!

IM: but you're dead too how can you be here?

Hawkeye: don't worry about that Bro, let's talk about Cap's death which is totally serious business

IM: but you were dead and now you're back

Comic books ladies and gentlemen

it's honestly a pretty small Wednesday for me, none of those Convergence books interest me except maybe the Nightwing & Oracle one. also SHIELD #4

(W) Mark Waid (A) Chris Sprouse (CA) Julian Totino Tedesco
• For years, SHIELD's most secret agent has been Sue Richards, the Invisible Woman! None of the other Fantastic Four is aware of her connection to the world's premier spy agency, but it's time they learned - because this is her last case!

Fuckin' monocles, bowler derby's, and handlebar mustaches, bro. The aughts need a non-ironic revival.

I don't think i've seen a monocle out in the wild, but if i do i'll do my best to quell it

Owzers

sillymonkey, pls. Arrow, while far from a masterpiece, is on a whole 'nother level than Smallville. Plus, it's some fun stuff.

Daredevil I expect to be well put together, critically acclaimed, and absolutely miserable. House of Cards of Comics.

Arrow's main advantage over Smallville comes from people not being knocked out every episode to avoid seeing Ollie's identity. All the concussion testing going on in the NFL and no one ever checked Lana out. I was initially liking Arrow a lot but the acting starting getting to me and 11 episodes in and i'm starting to doubt this show is going to be something worthwhile.

Arrow's main advantage over Smallville comes from people not being knocked out every episode to avoid seeing Ollie's identity. All the concussion testing going on in the NFL and no one ever checked Lana out. I was initially liking Arrow a lot but the acting starting getting to me and 11 episodes in and i'm starting to doubt this show is going to be something worthwhile.

Season 1 isn't so hot, though it does pick up towards the end. Season 2 is some legit great stuff.

Arrow needs a pizza dog. Thea, Laurel, Ollie's mom, Tommy, everyone but Diggle and Walter annoy me. Thea especially, they really didn't try to do much with her in the first 11 episodes.

oh, are you in S1? It's not a solid start but it gets better halfway through. i mean, it's not leading the TV renaissance (lol) but it's fun to throw on

IM: who are you?
Hawkeye: I'm Hawkeye Bro and I'm totally flabergasted that Captain America is dead!
IM: but you're dead too how can you be here?
Hawkeye: don't worry about that Bro, let's talk about Cap's death which is totally serious business
IM: but you were dead and now you're back
Comic books ladies and gentlemen
Shh, no tears. Only dreams now.

He was one of my favorites in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Fuck Zero's lightning loops bullshit. My favorites in Marvel 3 were Nova, Doom, Strider, Dante, Vergil, Magneto, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Viper, and Wolverine. I liked She-Hulk too but she got murdered in Ultimate RIP. I also wish Iron Fist wasn't ass. Hopefully we get to see an MvC4 one day :(
it's honestly a pretty small Wednesday for me, none of those Convergence books interest me except maybe the Nightwing & Oracle one. also SHIELD #4
I think it's a small week for me too. Gonna have to look over the Convergence books to see what I want. I'm okay with that though-- I just spent a ton of money so I could use a small week.

Sounds like you had a good time at Wondercon homie, what's your complete haul?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Zero is amazing. Read it and pimp it out mofos

Fucks yeah.

Everybody posts those scenes from issue 2, but let's be real here, Zero #9 will shatter your fucking heart in some powerful ways [also, check out Zizek's face in that building]:
Tonci-7-650x514.jpg

Fuck Zero's lightning loops bullshit. My favorites in Marvel 3 were Nova, Doom, Strider, Dante, Vergil, Magneto, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Viper, and Wolverine. I liked She-Hulk too but she got murdered in Ultimate RIP. I also wish Iron Fist wasn't ass. Hopefully we get to see an MvC4 one day :(

Not unless the licensing situation changes. (DISNEY LOL).

RIP

I don't think Disney had anything to do with it. Capcom just wasn't doing well at the time. (I still don't think it's doing very good).

That's something we'll never really know unfortunately. We just know the contract only allowed for a limited amount of releases and patches and the tsunami/earthquake that year definitely fucked up the original post-release support plans.

Disney most certainly does not want to fund console games outside of Infinity right now, it's not a secret. It's a shame too, because I would love to see a big Marvel game as good as the Batman Arkham games.

someone say Zero?

I think it's a small week for me too. Gonna have to look over the Convergence books to see what I want. I'm okay with that though-- I just spent a ton of money so I could use a small week.

Sounds like you had a good time at Wondercon homie, what's your complete haul?

oh dear

Deadly Class Vol 2 TP
The Fade Out Vol 1 TP
The Legend of Luther Strode TP
an Image Comics tote (that came with the purchase of 3 books)
Sexcastle
Hit 1955 HC
Cable: The Shining Path vol 1 and The End vol 2 (Tischmann/Kordey)
Miami Vice: Remix #1 and an accompanying print
Halogen #1
We Can Never Go Home #1 (protip - have variants inspired by old hardcore punk record covers and i'll get 90% more interested in it)
a couple other random indie books, i don't remember some of the names
Teen Titans print by Kelly Kao
various sketches from Scott Koblish, Matt Harding, and Jasey Crowl
sketchbooks from Alexander Lee and Clio Chiang
the lasting memory of having a brief exchange with Will Forte
Tech Jacket #6

i'm kinda glad i got that delivery job a few weeks ago now. i also paid for my Kevin Wada commish that was one of the few he wasn't able to get to. also caught some panels and such for some not-great lookin movies (and Mad Max which looks dooooooooope). Babs Tarr (who never had a short line at her table at any point), Jake Wyatt, Kris Anka, Kevin Wada, and Brenden Fletcher did a fashion in comics panel too, which i caught the tail end of but that was rly fun, wish i made it earlier. it was a super good time.

Top Bottom