• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

That is a bizarre collection of series for this weeks CMX a sale. So random

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-1-Sale/page/6095?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

Was the Simone and I guess remender Atom series any good?

Oh and Bendis's DD run is on sale

It's certainly... eclectic. Guess Atom is gonna play a decent sized part in Convergence.

Sad that Jaime's pre-New52 stuff isn't in there, would have loved to see that cast come back, even for a little while.

-_______________________________________-

That face always reminds me of a whale, for some reason.

multivac

Anyone know how Comixology decides to charge tax? It seems so random. If I add the discounted bundle to my cart I get tax, but if I add all items separately I don't, making it actually cheaper.

why are only 3 issues from the Steph Batgirl there. they're good (great, even), but why only the last 3? it's very random. Gonna try out that Atom book though.

also AGE OF ULTRON is on sale for $10. Get prepared for the movie!

why are only 3 issues from the Steph Batgirl there. they're good (great, even), but why only the last 3? it's very random. Gonna try out that Atom book though.

also AGE OF ULTRON is on sale for $10. Get prepared for the movie!
Brahs picking up Age of Ultron is the equivalent to the cheap knock off DVDs of kids movies you get at Walmart. There's going to be some disappointed children come Christmas when they realize their Cap is a strategic sitter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Isn't AoU a alternate universe type deal?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys Guardians 3000 is finally on MU :3

And Avengers & X-Men: Axis #1!

Axis guys!

Hello?

Guys?

Hey guys, so this post has been a long time coming.

I'm really into comics...but I've never been a "monthly" reader. I generally just look up the best runs of my favorite characters and end up reading those. For example, I'm re-reading Joe Kelly's Deadpool run at the moment.

While I consider myself generally well versed in comics, both DC/Marvel/Image, I've always felt completely overwhelmed with trying to pick up a currently running series. Mainly because I just don't know where they begin, what tie-ins to read, etc.

However, with the new Secret Wars about to kick off, I really want to get involved and try to keep up with it as it is current. Maybe even buy a few hard copies/variant covers while its coming out.

So I ask you guys, what do I need to do in order to prepare and properly understand Secret Wars when it comes out?

Appreciate it!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This Star Wars looks silly. Ugly monsterns in space and a stupid, basic story.
I dont think it will be a success in the long run.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Multiversity appeared on Amazon now, it's listed at 448 pages. Even heftier than expected.

frye

Hey guys, so this post has been a long time coming.

I'm really into comics...but I've never been a "monthly" reader. I generally just look up the best runs of my favorite characters and end up reading those. For example, I'm re-reading Joe Kelly's Deadpool run at the moment.

While I consider myself generally well versed in comics, both DC/Marvel/Image, I've always felt completely overwhelmed with trying to pick up a currently running series. Mainly because I just don't know where they begin, what tie-ins to read, etc.

However, with the new Secret Wars about to kick off, I really want to get involved and try to keep up with it as it is current. Maybe even buy a few hard copies/variant covers while its coming out.

So I ask you guys, what do I need to do in order to prepare and properly understand Secret Wars when it comes out?

Appreciate it!

You'll need an unreasonable amount of comics to get the most out of Secret Wars most probably -- like, at least 3 years worth of comics across 3 titles close to 100 issues unreasonable. It's probably the most impenetrable event Marvel's put out in the last few years.

The most cost-effective way if you have a tablet is to subscribe to Marvel unlimited and read the recent Avengers/New Avengers stuff that Johnathan Hickman wrote as well as the Infinity event.

Are you reading anything recent in collections right now?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am currently thinking of canceling most of all Secret Wars books beside all Spider-Books and those which revamp Events I have nostalgic feelings about.

But I am still not sure...

You'll need an unreasonable amount of comics to get the most out of Secret Wars most probably -- like, at least 3 years worth of comics across 3 titles close to 100 issues unreasonable. It's probably the most impenetrable event Marvel's put out in the last few years.

The most cost-effective way if you have a tablet is to subscribe to Marvel unlimited and read the recent Avengers/New Avengers stuff that Johnathan Hickman wrote as well as the Infinity event.

Are you reading anything recent in collections right now?

Not a single current issue unfortunately.

Its this exact reason that I always hesitate to get into monthlys because if I don't keep up, I'll miss out on an event like this. I've been slowly working my way through the original Ultimate Spiderman, but thats about as recent as I get, discounting random runs that I pick up. For example, I'm caught up on Marvel Zombies.

Its a shame that there isn't an easier way for people to get into things for an event like this, despite me totally understanding it. I guess that is what the reset is ultimately for anyways, I just wish I could enjoy it as a late-comer.

Also, considering my current job, I have TONS of free time. I can sling about 20 issues a day if I'm that into the story. So even if it is like 100 issues spanning 3 titles, I can still probably do that before Secret Wars drops.

frye

Not a single current issue unfortunately.

Its this exact reason that I always hesitate to get into monthlys because if I don't keep up, I'll miss out on an event like this. I've been slowly working my way through the original Ultimate Spiderman, but thats about as recent as I get, discounting random runs that I pick up. For example, I'm caught up on Marvel Zombies.

Its a shame that there isn't an easier way for people to get into things for an event like this, despite me totally understanding it. I guess that is what the reset is ultimately for anyways, I just wish I could enjoy it as a late-comer.

Also, considering my current job, I have TONS of free time. I can sling about 20 issues a day if I'm that into the story. So even if it is like 100 issues spanning 3 titles, I can still probably do that before Secret Wars drops.

Yeah, dude if you're willing then go for it. On the other hand if you're looking for something less "I gotta read this so I can read this other thing" Marvel's done a bunch of pretty good and self-contained solo titles in the last few years for a lot of their characters.

Hawkeye (Fraction, Aja)
- 1 issue left which will be out... eventually
Ms. Marvel (Wilson, Alphona)
- ongoing
Daredevil (Waid, Samnee)
-like 50 issues it's gotta be by this point?
Moon Knight (Ellis, Shalvey)
-6 issues/1 trade

I still think very highly of the first 10 issues of the last Cap series by Remender and Romita Jr as well as the first 11 issues of Thor: God of Thunder but there are a bunch of these and I'm sure people will recommend others.

This week's subs list:

Convergence #1
Convergence Batman And Robin #1
Descender #2
Nameless #3
All-New Hawkeye #2
Ant-Man #4
Avengers Millennium #2
Avengers World #19
Captain Marvel #14
Deadpool #45
Guardians 3000 #7
Howard The Duck #2
Hulk #14
Spider-Man 2099 #11

All this talk of bad comics is dredging up memories of Thanos Rising. Hands down the worst comic I've ever read.

Squire

Banned
It's an event and probably has it's own trade due to the fact it crosses over two books.

It crosses over like four books, actually. The trade is $35 digital, but I just bought the two unique issues, the two for ANXM, and the two for UXM. Ran me a little more than $11 in total. I'm only reading ANXM and UXM, so that should be more than enough.

Part of the problem.

sol_bad

I am so confused by this Convergence series. Are there any good links that will help me understand what is what? I have only been reading DC comics since the New 52 started.

The books I have read are Batman, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Justice League and recently Superman when Geoff Johns jumped on.

Should I just stick with the main Convergence series?

I am so confused by this Convergence series. Are there any good links that will help me understand what is what? I have only been reading DC comics since the New 52 started.

The books I have read are Batman, Nightwing, Green Lantern, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Justice League and recently Superman when Geoff Johns jumped on.

Should I just stick with the main Convergence series?

So, Convergence is part event and part nostalgia / celebration of history. If you have no connection to any previous incarnations of characters than I'd suggest one of two things: either just pick up the main event title and avoid the individual issues, or read up the solicits for the individual issues and cherry pick ones that sound interesting to you. Example, if you like Batman and Nightwing, consider getting Nightwing / Oracle, Batman and Robin (as it's Dick and Damien), and other bat titles like Batgirl. Use the event to get windows into other, iconic versions of the characters throughout the ages.

It's also worth noting that continuity aside, most DC characters have key features that tend to stick with them no matter the version, golden, silver, bronze or modern, that make them relatable regardless.

Newsarama: Convergence explained

Newsarama: All April Convergence Solicits

Caught up on Remender's creator owned stuff over the weekend, through volume 2 for both Deadly Class and Black Science now, and read the first volume of Low too. RR hasn't always been my favourite writer, I actively disliked the end league and didn't like FEAR agent as much as I'd like to have, but he's putting out some really great stuff right now. Sometimes the themes he wants to put across through his stories & characters are way too heavy handed and unsubtle but at least he's trying to get at something, better than some books. Black Science is worth a buy for Matteo Scalera alone. No idea what you guys are reading these days but I'd recommend those. Latest volumes of Zero, Abe Sapien and BPRD next.

Sandfox

I wonder what DC would do if one of the Convegence books involving characters from the Pre-Flashpoint universe absolutely blew up in terms of sales reception lol

Thank Gawd,, DCBS finally got back to me to let me know they do have more Francis Manapul Batman Black & White statutes in stock..

So now I know it will be replaced hes is my broke ass staute.
6Zxw8rl.jpg
gkzPtuT.jpg
JA75bW9.jpg

Caught up on Remender's creator owned stuff over the weekend, through volume 2 for both Deadly Class and Black Science now, and read the first volume of Low too. RR hasn't always been my favourite writer, I actively disliked the end league and didn't like FEAR agent as much as I'd like to have, but he's putting out some really great stuff right now. Sometimes the themes he wants to put across through his stories & characters are way too heavy handed and unsubtle but at least he's trying to get at something, better than some books. Black Science is worth a buy for Matteo Scalera alone. No idea what you guys are reading these days but I'd recommend those. Latest volumes of Zero, Abe Sapien and BPRD next.

Well said,, hes been on fire! Deadly class is one of my most satisfying books I pull...

C2E2 just recently added him to the guest line up,, pretty hyped for that.

Dude wait until you catch up on BPRD and Abe.

I'm starting to put together my next DCBS order (June).. This is hard guysss.

All the new DC and Marvel titles.. my order is already past $100 and still going. Its difficult to not blindly try everything.. how do yall do it. lol

Top Bottom