• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Why is everything $3.99 today?

The only $2.99 book I want is Nameless

5yiQXKH.gif

E the Shaggy

Why is everything $3.99 today?

The only $2.99 book I want is Nameless

5yiQXKH.gif

Don't be glum, you can get the latest issue of Deadpool for $9.99!

I just saw that Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy got picked up by a studio.

What a sweet deal to just be able to print any six issue comic book and immediately see movie money from it.

Mindwipe

Actually, that's one I forgot a few pages ago - I could easily see the Convergence Question issues selling well enough that they decide to bring back Renee in the role, just because of the absolute disaster that Nu52 Question has been. It's relatively simple to do and would be pretty popular, and gets another female hero on the books.

They'd probably have to skip over all the nice pre-Flashback characterisation that lead to the change the first time. And preferably just pretend that Nu52 Question's origin never happened.

I'm all for trying out new talent. Sure, why not, for one and done story lines. This industry can be a bit of an insular circle jerk at times so it's great to see new blood given a chance.

lol new blood?

neixieza, tiero, pretty much all these dudes and ladies are what david foster wallace might call crocodiles.

I like the idea of Zatanna in the JL and also the titans book with donna troy

also speedforce is Wally?

god dang

I think that for today though I'll probably get the batgirls, the sirens, and the nightwang oracle

CBTech

Is the Batman in the Convergence Batman & Robin Bruce or Dick? I thought I heard someone mention it was Dick, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Dunbar

I intended to buy none of the Convergence specials but then I walked out of the shop with nine of them today, because I am weak-minded. Either it will be a bunch of cool stuff or an expensive lesson that I'll learn very quickly.

Messi

I intended to buy none of the Convergence specials but then I walked out of the shop with nine of them today, because I am weak-minded. Either it will be a bunch of cool stuff or an expensive lesson that I'll learn very quickly.

This is what happened me but digitally.

Well I was always gonna buy Harley. But the rest were total impulses.

I'm afraid this will happen to me. Initially went in wanting only the Shazam one, now I'm looking at fucking JLI, JSA and like 8 other ones.

tim1138

I dunno if we're still allowed to talk about comics here or what, but any week that has ODY-C and Nameless is a great one in my book.

Burnham has a few pages in this month's Nameless that straight up look like Moebius, to say he has elevated his craft for this book would be the understatement of the century. The story continues to be horribly macabre, channeling the most interesting parts of Event Horizon. The last few pages (especially the last page) are the stuff of nightmares. Burnham is really the star of this series.

Fraction and Ward keep up their Jodorowsky/Moebius space opera take on the Odyssey humming right along. Honestly, this book is just as weird and creepy as Nameless but in completely different ways. Fraction cutting ties with Marvel may have been the best thing for him creatively.

I get the feeling that Descender is going to be a space robot version of Sweet Tooth, and that's ok. Lemire always does his best work when his stories have some sort of familial bent to them, and that is clearly going to be the case here. Nguyen's art is stupidly good and he does that fun trick of shifting styles between flashback and current events.

Owzers

Finished bloodborne, as always i'm letdown by From Software's storytelling. Create a game with amazing atmosphere, don't bother doing much with it.

Sadist

Please tell us afterwards whats happening with Miles :D

Really? Dang. I suppose I should have guessed with secret wars and all that. Still, Miles will be back.
Oh yeah, but the series ending is somewhat strange. I got into comics back in 2008 (thanks Dark Knight and Iron Man movies) and the first stuff I tried out was Ultimate Spider-Man. I still love it (even if Bendis has his shitty moments, he rarely disappointed me with USM) and seeing the series end after all this time is a bit weird. Okay, the final MM USM weren't all that, but it's still a shame to see it go.

And oh Gameproff, this

It's fucking nothing! Well sort off. Hyrda/Doom start their experimentation, weird power awakens, gets dragged somewhere, Miles wrecks both Doom and Hydra. New Ultimates arrive too late, Katie gets dumped (SKANK!) and while they happily exit the facility A RED INCURSION HAPPENS

I read it.

It was sort of disappointing.
Basicly this. Isn't the end the series deserved. Should have gotten a Giant Size issue or something.

tim1138

Tim throwing out Moebius comparisons like Oprah.

Only where applicable, in both instances it's totally justified.

Ody-C deserves it. Book is stellar. I think the only people reading it monthly are Tim, Filthy, and myself...

Yep, lots of people skipping a damn good book. You also know the pages I'm talking about in Nameless, you posted one of them here after I pointed it out (the ship flying over the asteroid).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I get the feeling that Descender is going to be a space robot version of Sweet Tooth, and that's ok. Lemire always does his best work when his stories have some sort of familial bent to them, and that is clearly going to be the case here. Nguyen's art is stupidly good and he does that fun trick of shifting styles between flashback and current events.
I agree with everything else you wrote about Nameless and ODY-C but I just wanted to add that Nguyen is putting out some of his best work with this series. I remember talking about Nguyen a bit when his Batman Eternal issues came out, and the art was good, but somebody pointed out that the coloring flattened and completely ruined his otherwise beautiful work (pretty sure it was Birdie). I gotta say, after Descender #1, I'm in total retroactive agreement. This is how Nguyen's work should look, man:

Ody-C deserves it. Book is stellar. I think the only people reading it monthly are Tim, Filthy, and myself...
Yo, I'm so happy that Fraction is doing this Homeric adaptation/translation properly and confidently. Takes balls to release this epic every month, and I'm in awe as I read each issue.

Tim throwing out Moebius comparisons like Oprah.
Can I request a commission of tim and Oprah Yaoi?

Fintan

So does the final issue of Miles seem like it leads directly into Ultimate End? Want to finally catch up on UU before it all ends.

PsychBat!

Banned
So does the final issue of Miles seem like it leads directly into Ultimate End? Want to finally catch up on UU before it all ends.
It seems like it. But some interior pages in Secret Wars #1 show that Ultimate U is gonna be part of the spotlight in that book as well.

Don't be glum, you can get the latest issue of Deadpool for $9.99!

I just saw that Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy got picked up by a studio.

What a sweet deal to just be able to print any six issue comic book and immediately see movie money from it.
Have any of them turned out particularly bad yet, though? I have yet to see Kick-Ass 2, and Starlight is basically Flash Gordon anyways, so I'm sure it'll be good. Did Chrononauts get picked up, too?
EDIT: I just remembered that Wanted is one of his as well. I liked that movie, for what it's worth. Solid action. Morgan Freeman's final speech at the end always gets me.
That's actually pretty funny.

In any case, I don't get why people are so assblasted about these things. Does some artist's cover really matter that much when there are likely thousands of similar or even more offensive drawings out there?
According to every GAF thread that shows up involving new covers or designs in comics: yes. Especially to those who have no interest in comics, but just want to be offended about shit.

The answer is always 'yes'.

Zombine

Banned
I would say that the artist captured the female form better than the strange as shit Spider-Woman cover. Her waist is slightly off, but it's not horrible. Notice how the thong presses against her skin? This happens. In real life. There are girls who look like this Harley...in real life. This custom cover is legit making fun of everyone who gets up in arms over dumb shit and I love it.

Top Bottom