• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Sandfox

So Deadpool ended today and I have to say that was one of my favorite comic book runs of all time. I highly recommend this run to any comic fan.

Messi

I saw a kid ogling the statue displays at my shop like a crazed badger and when his mom asked if he wanted to find the comics he said "I DON' CARE ABOUT COMICS!" I'm glad that comics-gaf's spirit follows everywhere I go.

Why are you following me and my mom? :(

we also need comics and superheroes that show a variety of sexuality. Because thats who we are as a people, were varied perverts :p

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. We're Varied Perverts

Milo Manara is going to do pieces in Milo Manara style. He doesn't own a monopoly on characters, so others are free to draw characters any way they please. Just don't expect it from Manara. Though I suspect he'd do it if you paid him enough.

But I'm curious as to what you consider a non-sexualized take on a female character. Okay, maybe the new Squirrel Girl. But what else? Most of them are drawn to be attractive in order to attract readers.

Okay, anyone with taste will tell you the Death of the Family issues of Suicide Squad were fucking shit, and should be rounded up and burned. It's unfortunate that they reflect back on the whole medium.

Also, based on that first sentence, I started to wonder if your college friend was Messi.

I honestly can't think of any, at least not any who are headlining a book, and I think that's a problem. Maybe Kamala Khan but at the very worst she is TV ugly (side note: that movie The DUFF really irritates me, the supposed DUFF is neither fat nor ugly) and she is kind of idealised as that "dream fanboy's girlfriend" kind of way. And of course, she is a minor, though that probably doesn't stop the lewd corners of the interwebs.

There's also Cassandra Anderson, but she's not currently headling a book. She's also in her fifties, and was drawn pretty sexually for a Judge back in the day (which I suppose is appropriate for someone so obviously based on Debbie Harry):
f79eb0be4c5f23daa79da59e58b37928.jpg

And to me, there's a difference between being drawn to be attractive and being drawn to be a sex object. When Carol Danvers moved to the McKelvie costume, I think most of us would agree that was an improvement. It was still sexy, but it was more empowering. Likewise, there's characters for whom it is in character to wear sexually suggestive clothes, like Emma Frost or Catwoman. But I don't think it's appropriate for everyone, nor do I think it should be the norm. It kind of surprises me that for an industry that's so visual, we're kinda tone deaf to changing styles and fashions.

PsychBat/Ed 2016: Now More Than Ever

Squire

Banned
Battle of The Atom was weird (I really should've bought the whole thing), but it was thrilling and it really had it's moments. The whole
Dazzler becomes president
thing sounds so dumb on paper, but I loved that part. She's great.

Im ten hours into Fire Emblem. That's a good video game.

Old comics AND old games, guys. I gotcha covered. 👌 I do need to buy All New Hawkeye #2 though! Yay!

This commission by Dragotta is incredible.

Love it! Who is this?

The Gamora piece was a definitely on the sexy side, but that WAS the costume she was wearing for a long time. He didn't embellish on anything, and didn't give her unnecessarily large bing-bongs.

I do wish Gamora had something closer to this look nowadays.

...The colors, cape, and trim, I mean. The skin is little excessive IMO.

What I especially like about the Wasp piece is the curve of her form. It's really quite beautiful.

The Gamora piece was a definitely on the sexy side, but that WAS the costume she was wearing for a long time. He didn't embellish on anything, and didn't give her unnecessarily large bing-bongs.

This actually reminds me of something I read on Kotaku today.

Look at that. A wholesome Christian-themed manga character. And her name is Pyuuri-tan. Adorable.

I'm sure she'll be Rule 34'd in no-time, but still. She's not drawn to be remotely sexual.
Have you ever checked out CBR's Year of the Artist pieces on Manara? I think you'd dig them.

That poor Pyuuritan. Doomed from inception to be Rule 34'd lol

If Japan does one thing right with comics its make comics for every type of person out there

IIRC Comics arent that niche in Japan. Their sales are much stronger than comics here and they're about a third of the population.

Im sure others can provide more valueable input

Speaking of comics sales, girly hijinks rule digital sales during sales

Psych, that Frank had me rolling. Good ass job
They bought full price comics in the sale? Huh. I went for the 1.99 comics. Made them my own marvel 99 cent sale. I bought....a lot

zennyzz

Hey, kinda looking for some DC and Marvel comics to get into. Never really been into the big two, Been a mostly Vertigo guy with a few Image stuff and a lot of independents.

Been following Angela and Spider-Gwen recently to get me into the swing of stuff. Anything you folks'd recommend?

Just made a new IST order

Gotham Central - In the Line of Duty
Wonder Woman - Guts
Swamp Thing - Rotworld: The Green Kingdom
Animal Man - Rotworld: The Red Kingdom
Hellboy - Conqueror Worm

I'm stepping into the rotting dragon's layer.

Just made a new IST order

Gotham Central - In the Line of Duty
Wonder Woman - Guts
Swamp Thing - Rotworld: The Green Kingdom
Animal Man - Rotworld: The Red Kingdom
Hellboy - Conqueror Worm

I'm stepping into the rotting dragon's layer.
Gotham central! Yess. Oh how I wish Gotham TV was just Gotham central the TV show. But nooooo

Dunbar

All New Hawkeye is starting slow. I wish writers would forget about the "Here is what happened to the hero as a kid" flashbacks unless they're really necessary and vital to the story. Granted it's only 2 issues in but it's not promising so far.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
More Waid Daredevil? More Waid Daredevil

Spidey / Punisher / Daredevil crossover aparently

It's good. Not as good as the other two, and some characters pop up in episodes that end up causing continuity problems, but still a great series.

The World's Finest crossover is the definition of hype.

Also, Superman invented trolling during this series.

Nice.

Speaking of Superman, how is this this Alan Moore collection, besides the lack of Killing Joke that reviewers on Amazon are complaining about? Lot of stuff in here that seems interesting to me, including a Superman/Swamp Thing crossover.

Squire

Banned
All New Hawkeye is starting slow. I wish writers would forget about the "Here is what happened to the hero as a kid" flashbacks unless they're really necessary and vital to the story. Granted it's only 2 issues in but it's not promising so far.

I haven't read the second issue yet, but I could tell from the start it'd be a little slow. I think it's a fair direction given Fraction gave that stuff a mention during his run and
Barney is dead

And I mean, I like that stuff, myself. Clint's childhood is interesting and messed up in a way that's more intricate than I think we typically hear.

Nice.

Speaking of Superman, how is this this Alan Moore collection, besides the lack of Killing Joke that reviewers on Amazon are complaining about? Lot of stuff in here that seems interesting to me, including a Superman/Swamp Thing crossover.

Worth it for the Green Lantern stories and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

The intro to Whatever is my favourite of all time:

This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good. It tells of his twilight, when the great battles were over and the great miracles long since performed; of how his enemies conspired against him and of that final war in the snowblind wastes beneath the Northern Lights; of the women he loved and of the choice he made between them; of how he broke his most sacred oath, and how finally all the things he had were taken from him save one. It ends with a wink. It begins in a quiet midwestern town, one summer afternoon in the quiet midwestern future. Away in the big city, people still sometimes glance up hopefully from the sidewalks, glimpsing a distant speck in the sky... but no: it's only a bird, only a plane — Superman died ten years ago. This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?

The stuff legends are made of.

EDIT: It also has For the Man Who Has Everything, which inspired the JLU story of the same name. That's a good one too.

Worth it for the Green Lantern stories and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

EDIT: It also has For the Man Who Has Everything, which inspired the JLU story of the same name. That's a good one too.

That's all why I've been eying it. It looks like good stuff, so yeah, it's on my to-buy list.

Back on the topic Superman TAS, it's always a pleasure to hear Tony Jay's voice. It's a shame that this character is only in this one episode.

Squire

Banned

Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow is one of the saddest comics ever

Just bought a collection on CMX that has this and some other stuff. Sounds fantastic.

Yea. And Mogo! Which is awesome. Worth picking up. I had a previous printing with a couple differences in issues. No voodoo, or deathblow but has killing joke

Mudcrab

Palette Swap posted this great interview with Hickman on Secret Wars:

part 1.
part 2.

Edit: There are spoilers for New Avengers and Avengers in the interview.

CBR: Let's start to wrap up by chatting about "Secret Wars. It really feels like from all the titles that have been announced that you and your collaborators designed the "Secret Wars" event as a way to allow the creators of the other "Secret Wars" book to go crazy and do what ever they want. Was that your intention?

Hickman: There was never any guarantee that Marvel was going to completely buy into this. Nobody pitches a story that ends with, "And then at the end, three years from now, everybody is going to be writing some version of my book." [Laughs] That's silly.

We did always know though that it could be a big thing and editorial, publishing, and marketing all realized pretty early on that we could do this big, and right, and do to the idealized version of it. Then as we got further and further along, one, everybody got on board, which they didn't have to do and I sincerely appreciate. Then two, we got so pregnant with it we had to have a baby.

The conceit of it was always, "Let's do something like 'Age of Apocalypse' line wide, but based around the 'Secret Wars' concept." And everybody bought in.

Given all the talk about the last ish of Ultimate Teen Spider-Man, went and read it.

Man, that was a quick reminder on why one should avoid Bendisverse stuff.

NeonZ

Is the Batman in the Convergence Batman & Robin Bruce or Dick? I thought I heard someone mention it was Dick, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

It's Bruce. He's wearing Dick's batsuit for some reason though (even though he's going to appear in the main Convergence mini with the Inc suit). Dick/Nightwing has a cool new suit, although they don't really explain why he stopped being Batman, just like in the New 52...

Vibranium

Banned
Kind of disappointing that the collected versions of Bendis' Daredevil run aren't on sale on Comixology. I would like to get a digital version of them.

Top Bottom