• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Bloodember

Hey, kinda looking for some DC and Marvel comics to get into. Never really been into the big two, Been a mostly Vertigo guy with a few Image stuff and a lot of independents.

Been following Angela and Spider-Gwen recently to get me into the swing of stuff. Anything you folks'd recommend?
DC is doing Convergence for the next two months, you might want to wait for them till June, new series start, and good jumping on points for others.

As for marvel, they are starting secret wars, which is a summers long event, destroying their worlds, Angela is ending at #6, spider-gwen is OK, Silk is awesome though, not sure if she will have a tie in to secret wars though. Your best bet with marvel is to get a marvel unlimited subscription and read some stuff on there until secret wars is over in September I think, unless you want to read any of the 80 or so tied ins.

Making my way through the new MU comics

Wow the edge of spider verse #4 was freaky and dark as hell. Pretty messed up Parker there.

Introduction of new cap was alright. I don't mind falcon getting a run at cap, but it bugs me Bucky wasn't even mentioned since he was cap for a while. Plus the stupid plot clearing with Zemo seemed so rushed.

Didn't like the Bucky: the winter soldier at all. I hated the premise for nick fury and then to reveal it and pass it on to Bucky makes me hate it more. Like nobody knows he's doing it? Why does it need to be done? Ugh

PsychBat!

Banned
AVEN2012044B006-col-copy-e6d00.jpg
AVEN2012044010-col-copy-30578.jpg
Next week. hnnngghh

Starman #30: Work's been keeping me busy but I got to read this today.
Dian's letter. :(

Also, how do you guys pronounce Dian when you read it? I've been pronouncing it this way way but recently realised people also use it as an alternate spelling to Diane.

Also, I ordered a new PC and it finally came in. Parts are nothing crazy (entry/mid level) but my new monitor is huge compared to my laptop. Can't wait to see how my books on Comixology look on this.

I just bought a GPU too. Thinking about making a screen size and res jump also (1600p 30" to 2160p 40").

Gotham central! Yess. Oh how I wish Gotham TV was just Gotham central the TV show. But nooooo

It is a shame what they are doing with Montoya's character on the show.

I still don't understand what the problem was with the initial Spider-Woman pic. You hire a dude who does a lot of erotic art to do a piece of a female character, you should already have an idea of what you're going to get.

Yeah, that was Marvel's issue. Just a cluster of bad planning and timing.

On the Frank Cho side of things, sure it may have come off as juvenile. But the dude can draw whatever he wants. If people get butthurt over it, who gives a shit? If you try to stop people from doing things like this, it very much becomes a censorship issue. And fuck censorship.

It's not censorship. Cho is taking the piss and people are angry at people taking a piss. He knew what was up.

This week's comics:

O1w7ieD.jpg

Huh. Miles Morales Spider-Man #12 just ends. It feels like Bendis had to wrap up a ton of plots all at once because Secret Wars is wiping the ultimate universe. Dagger definitely wants to break off a bit of Miles though.

D7SIx85.jpg

Deadpool #45 was a class act. Great end to the comics.

Spider-Woman #6 continues the fun tone from #5. Good stuff.

Convergence

The problem with a number of the Convergence books is they're all part 1 of 2, so they're mostly setup. The writers don't get enough time to really revisit the characters because
they're setting up their Convergence situation.

Convergence #1 is all setup, but it's important for those who've been following Earth 2, as it handles the fates of certain characters from the end of that book.

jP3Mj6m.jpg

Superman surprised me, because it's a solid book, but I realized that I don't miss Lois & Clark and I don't miss the old Superman costume. Didn't understand that until I read this. Like meeting an old, beloved friend, but realizing you've moved on.

Z7Jp7oF.jpg

dRnV9pC.jpg

Nightwing/Oracle on the other hand, reminded me how much I miss Nightwing, Oracle, and the old Starfire/Nightwing relationship. Oracle going in too. Loved it, even if the art and a bit rough.

Speed Force, Atom, and Batgirl featured the return of certain characters I've missed - Wally West, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, and
Ryan Choi
, but the books themselves were lackluster. Either they were confusing, boring, or ugly.

Mudcrab

Avengers is going to end with Tony/Steve hatesex in the middle of the incursion, isn't it?

I don't know...

Jonathan Hickman said:
There are people that get married and they love each other and have real relationships, but then one of them cheats on the other and even though they've loved each other very much the schism is forever. There's never going to be any getting over it. Some people can get past it. Some people can't. This was a betrayal that Steve was never going to get over.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Driller don't know what to do...

God dammit, Descender.

Also, really interesting that Jeff Lemire is writing two comics interweaving past and present stories, using distinct art styles to differentiate between the two time periods, and yet one is super successful right away--Descender--and the other is kind of, just, not connecting properly--Hawkeye.

ElNarez

Banned
how about that gosh dang The Surface #2 and-slash-or The Winter Soldier #7 y'all gosh dang. There's TWO Foss/Kot books out there and they're both mind-expanding crazy shit about the future. It's next level comics.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
how about that gosh dang The Surface #2 and-slash-or The Winter Soldier #7 y'all gosh dang. There's TWO Foss/Kot books out there and they're both mind-expanding crazy shit about the future. It's next level comics.

Surface #1 is one of my favorite comics that Kot has written so far. Really had doubts about Foss coming into the book (mostly based on how he draws people), but man, he earned my respect with Surface #1 easily. I'm going to read my Surface #2 and Winter Soldier tomorrow, as I want to be less than brain-shutting-down exhausted for them.

sol_bad

So, Convergence is part event and part nostalgia / celebration of history. If you have no connection to any previous incarnations of characters than I'd suggest one of two things: either just pick up the main event title and avoid the individual issues, or read up the solicits for the individual issues and cherry pick ones that sound interesting to you. Example, if you like Batman and Nightwing, consider getting Nightwing / Oracle, Batman and Robin (as it's Dick and Damien), and other bat titles like Batgirl. Use the event to get windows into other, iconic versions of the characters throughout the ages.

It's also worth noting that continuity aside, most DC characters have key features that tend to stick with them no matter the version, golden, silver, bronze or modern, that make them relatable regardless.

Newsarama: Convergence explained

Newsarama: All April Convergence Solicits

Thanks for the reply.
Is the plan to have these older timelines incorporated into the New 52 timeline or will New 52 continue on it's merry way on it's own?

More MU reading impressions.

Guardians 3000 #1 - not a bad start. I'm not familiar with these characters but a decent premise.

Uncanny avengers - the kickoff of SIXIS. Why is everyone shocked at magneto doing what he does? It wasn't a bad issue. Not great but that last reveal made me laugh and go Wha? Not sure how that makes sense but whatevs

Silver surfer #6- it's sucha genius idea to turn a Silver surfer book into Marvels Dr Who. Norrin, Dawn and Toomie off on a fun adventure and space ice cream! Slott is on fire. This is She hulk vol 1 level good Slott

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
jP3Mj6m.jpg

Superman surprised me, because it's a solid book, but I realized that I don't miss Lois & Clark and I don't miss the old Superman costume. Didn't understand that until I read this. Like meeting an old, beloved friend, but realizing you've moved on.

i agree with costume, but then again, ive always been ready to move on from his standard. i definitely miss clark and lois. they were so good together

Dunbar

Such a good week of comics so far. Birthright, Copperhead, Descender, Rebels #1, and Saga. Copperhead I'm especially happy to have back. I hope people are reading that.

If no one else has posted about Rebels, it's basically a historical-comic story set during the American Revolution. I like history a lot, so it appeals to me. I think anyone who is into real history would like it, or maybe if you liked the TV show Turn from last year.

And Darth Vader #4, man. That series has turned out to be completely fantastic. Great characters and great storytelling from the "evil character" perspective.

I think I'll leave Convergence for tomorrow
in case it ruins everything.

Filthy Slug

All-new Hawkeye was kinda bad :(

I'm not gonna say bad but it seems a bit misguided. Like, it's super fucking cliche right now, with the brothers' backstory, but the present-day stuff is all right. I'm giving Lemire some more issues because the man knows how to write stories about families. That's his fucking jam (just look at Descender), so I'm hoping the story gets some more emotional momentum by the next issue.

NeonZ

Thanks for the reply.
Is the plan to have these older timelines incorporated into the New 52 timeline or will New 52 continue on it's merry way on it's own?

They won't reboot the New52 timeline or anything like that. The new 52 characters are appearing towards the last few issues of Convergence, but it shouldn't have any big impact on their world itself.

They've mentioned that after Convergence they'll be able to use the older versions of the characters too, but no books have been announced featuring them yet, so it's just words at this point.

They won't reboot the New52 timeline or anything like that. The new 52 characters are appearing towards the last few issues of Convergence, but it shouldn't have any big impact on their world itself.

They've mentioned that after Convergence they'll be able to use the older versions of the characters too, but no books have been announced featuring them yet, so it's just words at this point.

I assume this means they're opening the door for the best-selling books to see a return.

Bii

Guardians 3000 #1 - not a bad start. I'm not familiar with these characters but a decent premise.

Have you read Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) by Dan Abnett? It's on MU I highly suggest reading it if you haven't already before getting into Guardians 3000. It's not required to "get" Guardians 3000 but you'll have some back story to some characters.

All-new Hawkeye was kinda bad :(

*sigh*

I picked up #2 because #1 was decent. Guess I'll have to read it tonight and see if I hate it.

SoilBreak

Banned

Wouldn't be surprise if they announce pre-52 anthology book.

Saw some ad for 100 Bullets hardcover, remembered that Brother Lono was a thing that existed.

Fun read, really. Still prefer 100B Lono, obv.

Squire

Banned
Alright, I read All New Hawkeye #2.

I don't wanna be the threads official Hawkeye stan, but honestly? I thought it was good.

Is it moving slowly? Yes. (It's actually doing exactly what Fraction says comics need to move away from: Giving you five minutes of story a month).

Would you be better off trade waiting? Yes. Yes, you would.

I'll keep reading it monthly until I just can't take the pace of it anymore because I'm a sucker.

Reading Convergence #1 now. Also picked up six (!) of the tie-ins: Harley, Batman & Robin, Question, Superman, Speedforce, and Nightwing & Oracle. Because I'm weak.

I'll also probably grab the rest over the next few days, because see above.

Anyway, Convergence:
Extremely weak first bit, but picked up later. I dunno if it's just my unfamiliarity with the Earth 2 crowd or what, but them standing around moping at each other was not good reading. Still, seeing all the various 'verses and namedrops was fun. I think I saw Alan Moore in his own panel :p

Top Bottom