• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
And? What does that have to do with convergence sucking

Also Dan Didio already did Convergence back in 2007 it was called Countdown Arena. I wonder if he forgot he mandated that event or if he liked it so much he forced DC to do it again,

yeah It feels exactly the same from the issues I read. Quick question will any of this matter after the event? Like I don't want to get too invested in what looks like Pre Nu 52 DC only to have to deal with NU 52 DC when its over..... my Geek heart doesn't deserve that....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn you can buy movie tickets 2 weeks in advance? I'd be lucky to buy tickets for the midnight showing here DX
I was the first one who showed up because of the movie :D

And well, its Avengers. My most anticipiated movie of the year, I have even requested a free day on the 24th to enjoy the movie and discuss it later here with MCUGaf :D

And I ordered Daredevil :D

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Ultimate Spider-man: End :(

Fuck you Marvel Comics. Fuck you for taking away the best long-running series you've ever had and putting a stop to it and smashing it into your awful universe full of retcons and crossovers, you greedy bastards :(

The issue itself was fine, though it's lame that we didn't actually get to say
Miles fight his way out. There was also no point in getting all the guys together, they didn't do jack shit!
And Judge knows the secret now, whoopie? We don't know shit about him, much like any of the other characters in this comic that was not given time to breathe and develop its own personality between crossovers and its untimely end. Not Katie. Not Ganke. Truly, not even Miles.
Evidently Bendis just had to wrap up everything quickly to meet Marvel's demands.

Ultimate Spider-man was and is my favourite comic series. It doesn't try to do anything quite special, but it does a young superhero comic at its best, and more importantly-- consistently.
I just hope that Bendis retains full creative control and whatever they push Miles into doesn't mesh it too much with the existing universe, so we'll able to get to actually know these characters and maybe get some new unique villains and not Peter rehashes.

Sadist

I was the first one who showed up because of the movie :D

And well, its Avengers. My most anticipiated movie of the year, I have even requested a free day on the 24th to enjoy the movie and discuss it later here with MCUGaf :D

And I ordered Daredevil :D
I can't believe I have to wait a week before watching it, ugh.

Bendis has said that he's known about Secret Wars for years. So if the end to USM seems rushed that's his own fault haha

Just putting that out there

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ultimate Spider-man: End :(

Fuck you Marvel Comics. Fuck you for taking away the best long-running series you've ever had and putting a stop to it and smashing it into your awful universe full of retcons and crossovers, you greedy bastards :(

The issue itself was fine, though it's lame that we didn't actually get to say
Miles fight his way out. There was also no point in getting all the guys together, they didn't do jack shit!
And Judge knows the secret now, whoopie? We don't know shit about him, much like any of the other characters in this comic that was not given time to breathe and develop its own personality between crossovers and its untimely end. Not Katie. Not Ganke. Truly, not even Miles.
Evidently Bendis just had to wrap up everything quickly to meet Marvel's demands.

Ultimate Spider-man was and is my favourite comic series. It doesn't try to do anything quite special, but it does a young superhero comic at its best, and more importantly-- consistently.
I just hope that Bendis retains full creative control and whatever they push Miles into doesn't mesh it too much with the existing universe, so we'll able to get to actually know these characters and maybe get some new unique villains and not Peter rehashes.

Was extremely disappointed in the awful way this ended, and I totally blame Bendis for this, not Marvel scheduling. There's nothing to spoiler-tag. It literally ends with "HEY GUYZ I BEAT ALL THE BAD GUYS OFF-PANEL LOL OH SHIT SECRET WARS HEY BUY ULTIMATE END."

Which is how the last Ultimate Spider-Man run ended too, IIRC.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bendis has said that he's known about Secret Wars for years. So if the end to USM seems rushed that's his own fault haha

Just putting that out there
There was this big wandpainting in one of his first issues on New Avengers after Siege:

2936127-av4_05_0010_0011.jpg

This plan was shown 5 years ago and everything happened.

Secret Wars is Infinite Futures.

NexusCell

So can anyone tell me what are the Convergence books to get? I'm liking Superman and Justice League so far. How are the other side books?

Messi

Fuck, that convergence Harley Quinn issue is really fucking depressing. One panel near the end really bothered me. The whole thing is really tragic
i really didn't like the page of ivy drugging Harley and putting her in the costume.
. The whole thing went really dark and not in a direction I was expecting.
her seeing the fishes and talking to them made me sad

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Was extremely disappointed in the awful way this ended, and I totally blame Bendis for this, not Marvel scheduling. There's nothing to spoiler-tag. It literally ends with "HEY GUYZ I BEAT
ALL THE BAD GUYS
OFF
-PANEL
LOL OH SHIT SECRET WARS
HEY BUY ULTIMATE
END."

Which is how the last Ultimate Spider-Man run ended too, IIRC.

C'mon man, spoiler that shit.

Fuck, that convergence Harley Quinn issue is really fucking depressing. One panel near the end really bothered me. The whole thing is really tragic
i really didn't like the page of ivy drugging Harley and putting her in the costume.

How was the issue despite that stuff? Something you'd recommend to a fellow Harley fan? I haven't bought any Convergence stuff cause I wanted to wait for impressions.

So can anyone tell me what are the Convergence books to get? I'm liking Superman and Justice League so far. How are the other side books?
Harley is good, but very sad towards the end. Batman & Robin is mostly setup. Nightwing same, but it does have some more meat.

Yeah, that whole bit was fucked up.
Selina and Ivy aren't very good friends to Harley, are they.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Convergence #1: Have you read the last month or two of both Earth 2 comic series? No? Then you're going to be confused. Have you read Earth 2 but didn't read Convergence #0? Then you're also going to be confused.

Basically, this storyline is
"DC (1980s) Secret Wars" with Telos as the Beyonder.
I read some of the tie-in issues and so far nothing has really impressed me. They all seem to be set-up books that all go right into the events of Convergence #1.

The formula being used is
"Cities from different time periods/realities are taken and put under giant domes that suppress super powers for one year, then it's clobberin' time and all the various characters need to fight each other for the right to have their world given another chance and not destroyed. The Earth 2 crew are the anomaly here as they don't have a world/city to represent.

Messi

How was the issue despite that stuff? Something you'd recommend to a fellow Harley fan? I haven't bought any Convergence stuff cause I wanted to wait for impressions.

First few pages are old Harley stuff then the tone changes and it becomes something much different. I'd say no. The last few pages really bothered me as a Sirens fan.

Not Hijinks-GAF approved sadly.

Harley is good, but very sad towards the end. Batman & Robin is mostly setup. Nightwing same, but it does have some more meat.

Yeah, that whole bit was fucked up.
Selina and Ivy aren't very good friends to Harley, are they.

In the old series they treated her like a child at all times but this is different. They crossed a line for me in this issue. I don't believe
that Ivy would do that to Harley if she had gotten into the clear. Ivy has always been the one trying to help Harley get better and to separate her from Jokers grasp. This feels like a betrayal of that part of her character.
. The more I think about it the sadder that issue makes me, especially that page at the end.

I loved the Question. I want more of this from Rucka. The last page actually made me do a fist pump.
fuck yeah, BATWOMAN!

First few pages are old Harley stuff then the tone changes and it becomes something much different. I'd say no. The last few pages really bothered me as a Sirens fan.

That's a shame, thanks for the heads up though. I guess the ones to get from this week are Superman, Nightwing and Oracle, and The Question. Although, I think everyone knew Question was gonna be good with Rucka writing.

I thought Harley was excellent.
There would be no Harley without the Joker. It wasn't even close to character assassination, I truly believe Harley would fall for the Joker every time. He has a spell on her.

Messi

I thought Harley was excellent.
There would be no Harley without the Joker. It wasn't even close to character assassination, I truly believe Harley would fall for the Joker every time. He has a spell on her.

it was a betrayal of Ivys character in her relationship with Harley. I have no problem with the Joker stuff, that is Harley's character. What I have a problem with is the drugs. This is Poision Ivy, the one person in Harley's life that tries to help Harley and wants little to nothing in return. I just don't think Ivy would willingly drug Harley up and send her back into that type of life after she has been going clean. Yes eventually Harley would fail becaus it is comic books and Harley needs to be harley but it bothers me to know it was Ivy who did it. I can see Selina doing it, not Ivy.

I don't think anyone mentioned character assassination. It won't matter in a month or two when we go back to the other timelines.

it was a betrayal of Ivys character in her relationship with Harley. I have no problem with the Joker stuff, that is Harley's character. What I have a problem with is the drugs.

I don't think anyone mentioned character assassination. It won't matter in a month or two when we go back to the other timelines.

That's the other thing, these versions are from other worlds. They have Injustice Superman who is actually a character assassination of everything Superman stands for but it's entertaining to see.

it was a betrayal of Ivys character in her relationship with Harley. I have no problem with the Joker stuff, that is Harley's character. What I have a problem with is the drugs. This is Poision Ivy, the one person in Harley's life that tries to help Harley and wants little to nothing in return. I just don't think Ivy would willingly drug Harley up and send her back into that type of life after she has been going clean. Yes eventually Harley would fail becaus it is comic books and Harley needs to be harley but it bothers me to know it was Ivy who did it. I can see Selina doing it, not Ivy.

It's easy to forget, sometimes, that Ivy's kind of a sociopath.

Messi

That's the other thing, these versions are from other worlds. They have Injustice Superman who is actually a character assassination of everything Superman stands for but it's entertaining to see.

Yes, and this is the version from when the sirens were around, no? Ivy and Selina are acting like it is. Plus they talk about her like she is a child as they did in sirens. I could be wrong but that is how I read it.

It's easy to forget, sometimes, that Ivy's kind of a sociopath.

I get that, they are all insane on some level. But I've never
seen Ivy actively do something to harm Harley Every incarnation has them as friends or at the very least reluctant partners. Swap Ivy with Selina in that scene and it makes more sense. Usually Catwoman is a user when it comes to Harley, Ivy isnt.

Again, just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Yes, and this is the version from when the sirens were around, no? Ivy and Selina are acting like it is. Plus they talk about her like she is a child as they did in sirens. I could be wrong but that is how I read it.

It could be, or it could be one of 52 different worlds. Also, she did that too Harley like she has already done before. She felt she needed to do that again because the Convergence was forcing her to fight.

https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/586199370820878336

Messi

These are also characters that have lived, trapped under a dome, for a year of time. That is going to have an effect on people.

This is true

The whole issue has this tragic feeling to it.
Like regardless of what happens with Harley she will always be a hopeless case. That does not make me feel good. I know we have talked about this before and it is unrealistic to expect what I want for Harley.
But seeing an issue like this just leaves me on a bum note.

Mudcrab

There was this big wandpainting in one of his first issues on New Avengers after Siege:

This plan was shown 5 years ago and everything happened.

Secret Wars is Infinite Futures.

I remember when people were accusing Marvel of ripping off Rip Hunter's chalkboard from 52 when this was revealed. Or was it the other way around?

This is true

The whole issue has this tragic feeling to it.
Like regardless of what happens with Harley she will always be a hopeless case. That does not make me feel good. I know we have talked about this before and it is unrealistic to expect what I want for Harley.
But seeing an issue like this just leaves me on a bum note.

You should be happy. It's one of your favorite characters, she is crazy, she is a lost cause, she is a villain, she does bad things....... She is a top 10 comic book in sales every month. She is hugely popular. She shows us that it ok to be a little crazy.

Messi

You should be happy. It's one of your favorite characters, she is crazy, she is a lost cause, she is a villain, she does bad things....... She is a top 10 comic book in sales every month. She is hugely popular. She shows us that it ok to be a little crazy.

I am happy for the character. I guess I just like the more watered down version from Jimmy and Amanda. Maybe I am just a big softie. I am easily upset by stuff as I am sure you can all tell. I just thought I was getting a different book from the cover and the preview. I went in expecting Hijinks and got a cold dose of reality. All will be well though. Jimmy and Amanda will come back soon :)

I am now finally and officially a GAF member! I got a "you are a bad person" PM. I didn't realise liking Starman makes me a bad person.

I am assuming the PM wasn't about Starman.

Top Bottom