• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

God dammit, I literally closed my laptop all of 5 minutes before the full BvS trailer leaked last night.

Sooooo good. Battfleck looks intimidating as fuck, and it seems they've taken people's issues with MoS to heart. Gonna be something else.

tim1138

God dammit, I literally closed my laptop all of 5 minutes before the full BvS trailer leaked last night.

Sooooo good. Battfleck looks intimidating as fuck, and it seems they've taken people's issues with MoS to heart. Gonna be something else.

I really like the glimpse of armored suit from DKR. It looks great in live action from that shot.

I really like the glimpse of armored suit from DKR. It looks great in live action from that shot.

Yeah. The regular batsuit looks amazing too.

Also worth noting that it didn't have even a hint at what they're doing with Diana and Lex. Curious to see how they figure into this.

1429269749897.png

UH OH SPAGHETTI O'S

I'm excited for the trailer and movie. But I liked Man of Steel. I like dark things and horror. So excited, that I put Final Crisis on pause and started reading DKR for only my second time last night. Once again, all this stuff I read when I first started comics is soooo much better now with more perspective.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sometimes Cameron Stewart comes across as a real douche.

Not just in this case. But a few recent bust ups.

Not sometimes, but always. The second he essentially threw Raf Abuquerque under the bus for that Batgirl cover, he ascended to megadouche status. Fuck that guy.

Zombine

Banned
Rafael is one of those dudes that is so under the radar and seems to love the work he gets, so I was super disappointed that he got dragged into that bull crap about that cover. He draws "dark" things. His art is very stylized like Murphy's and he always seems to respect the characters he draws and he seems to really understand the human form and facial expression. He was beyond treated unfairly.

Week 2 of Convergence and my biggest issue is still with the artwork. Most of the issues look like they were thrown together by people with minimal drawing skill. If you're reading all the tie ins I can see the annoyance with the story, as every issue is basically the same set up. What have these characters been doing for the last year since they were plucked from their timelines and living under the dome, Telos says the same shit, dome drops, and some other shit happens. Convergence 2 itself was way more interesting than any of the tie ins.

I will say its making me appreciate certain aspects of the N52. I really enjoy the combined world of the DC Universe (meaning every one is existing in the same Universe, not like Batman is in his own or some shit). That said though I was always bothered by how like every person who put on spandex knew every single other one like they all we buddies. It seemed at one point basically anyone who called themselves a hero were part of the Justice League and got the "Welcome to the Justice League" handbook that listed every hero's secret identity and family members, their turn ons and turn offs, favorite food, color, music, and movie.

I kind of like in the N52 how you have these pockets of heroes that know each other and it makes sense for them to know each other. They know of other people but too its not like its one giant Super Hero Fraternity. You know its not like Guy Gardner knows Barbara Gordon is Batgirl in the N52 and it makes sense for him not to.

tim1138

He's definitely reliable, and I love that unlike a lot of other artists, he has a clearly defined style which sets him apart from the rest.

You're preaching to the choir here, my my favorite working artists are Nick Pitarra, Burnham, Travel Foreman, and Ryan Browne. No thank you to bland samey cookie cutter superhero comics art.

You're preaching to the choir here, my my favorite working artists are Nick Pitarra, Burnham, Travel Foreman, and Ryan Browne. No thank you to bland samey cookie cutter superhero comics art.
all those guys are great. I got a chance to talk to Nick Pitarra a month back.

He's really into Moebius and was looking to buy a page. I told him Manhattan Projects is awesome and he said it's too heady for him and that's why he dumbs it down. That last part was a joke...i think

tim1138

He's really into Moebius and was looking to buy a page. I told him Manhattan Projects is awesome and he said it's too heady for him and that's why he dumbs it down. That last part was a joke...i think

I will majorly fanboy out if I ever get to meet Pitarra in person. That guy is the best.

SRG01

Can anyone explain what happened in this week's Loki to me?
So there's a version of Loki in the past? And Loki jumped 8 months into the future... but Verity doesn't recognize him?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

He was trying to buy Moebius pages? Like, you can do that?

Vyer

God, after the trailer leak I think I actually read someone say that Bats in armor was trying too much to be like Iron Man.

I absolutely love a lot of MCU movies, but they've helped the already stupid fanboy wars become that much more insufferable.

I've always viewed the story in MoS as an introduction to a larger story. I don't think Snyder intended for it to be a self contained story. The merciless pounding of "Superman is Jesus" isn't because of some Christian love, rather they wanted to expand on that concept in sequels because that is how Superman could be received in our world. DC's approach to super hero movies is definitely different, but I think they need that so the public doesn't get sick of these movies. Still I feel like the movie's title is mostly a hook into getting people in the movie and the BvS fight will actually be only half of the movie.

Anyway, Batfleck seems to have been a solid choice. That voice modulator is awesome.

tim1138

Can one of you artsy types draw me Vibe standing next to B'wana Beast saying "B'wana Beast... we're home!" like Han and Chewie in the Star Wars trailer?
That'd be great.

Cheska

Just got my Orion omnibus in the mail! Is it safe to go into it without reading any past material? I think most of Kirby's Fourth World stuff is out of print :(

Filthy Slug

Can one of you artsy types draw me Vibe standing next to B'wana Beast saying "B'wana Beast... we're home!"
That'd be great.

Yo. YO. Remember that time B'wana Beast surfed on giraffes?
giraf.jpg

Red and green highlights say whutup.

I know nothing about the story, I'm talking about actual aesthetics. Colors, design, etc.

Call bias all you want. When you misrepresent my posts it's probably super easy to do.

I think he's right dude. You're over that aesthetic, but Dark & Gritty Daredevil is "perfect."

tim1138

Just got my Orion omnibus in the mail! Is it safe to go into it without reading any past material? I think most of Kirby's Fourth World stuff is out of print :(

Dive in, just know that the back up stories that are now in their own section in the back were meant to be read with the issue they appeared in.

Yo. YO. Remember that time B'wana Beast surfed on giraffes?
giraf.jpg

How could I forget?

Red and green highlights say whutup.

I know nothing about the story, I'm talking about actual aesthetics. Colors, design, etc.

Call bias all you want. When you misrepresent my posts it's probably super easy to do.

Lol. Don't try that. You know and I know what you meant man. Go back and read your original post. Joy of Star Wars and Avengers. The aesthetics you speak of are plain as day.

Filthy Slug

Yo, can somebody help clarify (without spoiling anything from Morrison's run) this thing from New X-men: In issue #127, where Xorn basically tries to understand the world around him,
and runs into a mother whose son is a mutant, and she overdoses both herself and her mutant son because she can't cope, all the while Xorn "sees" that the son will grow into something special/beautiful in just 10 days. So this incredibly heartbreaking and brilliant issue, and this great character that it establishes, all get revealed to be Magneto right after Morrison's run?

I've always viewed the story in MoS as an introduction to a larger story. I don't think Snyder intended for it to be a self contained story. The merciless pounding of "Superman is Jesus" isn't because of some Christian love, rather they wanted to expand on that concept in sequels because that is how Superman could be received in our world.

They had a little bit of this with Pete Ross' mom after Clark saved the bus. She started going on about how "this was a sign from God" and that Clark was a sent by Him and all that stuff.

tim1138

Yo, can somebody help clarify (without spoiling anything from Morrison's run) this thing from New X-men: In issue #127, where Xorn basically tries to understand the world around him,
and runs into a mother whose son is a mutant, and she overdoses both herself and her mutant son because she can't cope, all the while Xorn "sees" that the son will grow into something special/beautiful in just 10 days. So this incredibly heartbreaking and brilliant issue, and this great character that it establishes, all get revealed to be Magneto right after Morrison's run?

Nah, it happens right at the end of the run.

To take you back to a happy place, here's B'wana Beast on a rhino bull.

beast.jpg

Filthy Slug

Nah, it happens right at the end of the run.

To take you back to a happy place, here's B'wana Beast on a rhino bull.

beast.jpg

To the X-men thing: Are you fucking kidding me?

To the B'wana Beast thing: There's zero sarcasm when I say I want that as my next tattoo.

tim1138

It's literally his last four issue arc. Don't quote me on this, but I want to say it was editorially mandated and the cause for his fall out with Bill Jemas and Marvel.

Filthy Slug said:
To the B'wana Beast thing: There's zero sarcasm when I say I want that as my next tattoo.

This is why we are friends.

I think he's right dude. You're over that aesthetic, but Dark & Gritty Daredevil is "perfect."

Lol. Don't try that. You know and I know what you meant man. Go back and read your original post. Joy of Star Wars and Avengers. The aesthetics you speak of are plain as day.

Ok, so you really want to do this.

Daredevil is a perfect show. About Daredevil. A guy who can't stop beating the shit out of people.

THIS movie, though? This movie is supposed to be the birth of the Justice League. The trailer centered around Superman.

Superman is THIS GUY:
If it makes you feel better, go ahead and just stick with me being biased and keep thinking that this trailer represents how the world should see Superman. I won't stop you.

I'll keep thinking dark and gritty Daredevil is a perfect representation of a dark and gritty character.

I'll leave you with this:
EgEBR1K.jpg

Worlds Apart. That's always been the beauty of Batman and Superman. But Snyder's relentless scope creep in trying to infuse the left side with the aesthetic of the right has made them indistinguishable.

Superman does not work with dark and gritty. The Justice League at its best and most delightful, was never dark and gritty.

Even Final Crisis, where the world ended and Batman DIED. It had color and design and hard light energy from Darkseid in amazing patterns.

But no. I'm just a guy who likes Marvel more. lol ok

EDIT

Actually, this guy says it better:
https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/589090931267207168

Vyer

Birdie, to be fair, if you are going to use the context of 'representation', then we know that this is taking inspiration from Dark Knight Returns, in which case it fits pretty well.

And you did talk about 'aesthetic', which really doesn't have much to do with it anyway.

Regardless, I'd probably wait till we have a little more than a dark shaky cell phone cam of a teaser of a movie more than a year away before getting too resolute.

why are y'all concerned what Cameron Stewart thinks all the time. i don't even see the issue with those tweets

Let's judge an entire movie out of a teaser trailer you guys, that totally works and is awesome. I'm gonna judge the next issue of Batgirl out of one of Cameron's 50 lines of exposition speech bubbles.
"which isn't what i want out of a superhero movie"

Vyer

I'd also have to disagree with that Age of Ultron comparison. My first thought when I saw that first trailer is that it went a LOT more grim than the original Avengers and I was surprised by that.

Birdie, to be fair, if you are going to use the context of 'representation', then we know that this is taking inspiration from Dark Knight Returns, in which case it fits pretty well.

And you did talk about 'aesthetic', which really doesn't have much to do with it anyway.

Regardless, I'd probably wait till we have a little more than a dark shaky cell phone cam of a teaser of a movie more than a year away before getting too resolute.

What would a Justice League be like, a group that doesn't exist, being built out of DKR?

The reason DKR worked (and works) was as a reaction to the established representations of these characters.

It's like trying to get a third grader to read Infinite Jest. You can't start there.

Or, rather, you can, you can do whatever you want, but it won't work. Or rather, it might for some people, but it just seems super off to me.

It's probably because it's not Marvel, I guess. That's the root of all my arguments.

Or, rather, I actually cited specific DC details (DC-tails?) for my arguments.

Talk about bias.

AGAINST ME.

#FlippedIt

;D

Vyer

What would a Justice League be like, a group that doesn't exist, being built out of DKR?

The reason DKR worked (and works) was as a reaction to the established representations of these characters.

It's like trying to get a third grader to read Infinite Jest. You can't start there.

Or, rather, you can, you can do whatever you want, but it won't work. Or rather, it might for some people, but it just seems super off to me.

It's probably because it's not Marvel, I guess. That's the root of all my arguments.

Or, rather, I actually cited specific DC details (DC-tails?) for my arguments.

Talk about bias.

AGAINST ME.

#FlippedIt

;D

Oh I'm not saying it can or will work, I just don't know what we can get about all that from 20 seconds of blurry cell phone teaser footage. This still isn't the Justice League movie, whatever form that eventually takes.

For what it's worth, I thought MoS was pretty disappointing and I have a lot of concerns when it comes to Snyder. Also I didn't call you bias so don't YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME RICKY BOBBY

Just sayin..that still doesn't have anything to do with 'aesthetics' tho'. ;p

tim1138

Guess I'll be joining you PS4 brahs this year. The new Battlefront game has third person and local spilt screen play. Battlefront 2 was easily the most played game on our OG Xbox.

It was the second to last arc he did for the book, right before Here Comes Tomorrow.

Also, where does the B'wanna Beast panel come from? The book it comes from is something I need to own.

NEED.

Top Bottom