• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

Oh I'm not saying it can or will work, I just don't know what we can get about all that from 20 seconds of blurry cell phone teaser footage. This still isn't the Justice League movie, whatever form that eventually takes.

For what it's worth, I thought MoS was pretty disappointing and I have a lot of concerns when it comes to Snyder. Also I didn't call you bias so don't YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME RICKY BOBBY

Just sayin..that still doesn't have anything to do with 'aesthetics' tho'. ;p

That's fair.

Also, I can never ethically disagree with someone who quotes an Adam McKay movie. It's in my personal bylaws.

Vyer

That's fair.

Also, I can never ethically disagree with someone who quotes an Adam McKay movie. It's in my personal bylaws.

giphy.gif

I saw some people in the thread on gaming side mention exclusive PS4 content. I'm platform agnostic, I just want whatever the best experience will be. Lord knows I'm not gonna pay to play online.

Ah, interesting. Well if it's just maps and stuff that's fine. I'm also platform agnostic and will definitely be getting a PS4 at some point but most of my friends will be playing on XB1 and I'm not looking to spend for another box any time soon.

Sadly, other than PC paying to pay online is the norm now.

I saw some people in the thread on gaming side mention exclusive PS4 content. I'm platform agnostic, I just want whatever the best experience will be. Lord knows I'm not gonna pay to play online.

Don't both consoles charge for multi this gen?

I'm XBO so I don't know for sure but I feel like I remember that from something or somewhere.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
They had a little bit of this with Pete Ross' mom after Clark saved the bus. She started going on about how "this was a sign from God" and that Clark was a sent by Him and all that stuff.

I think a rewatch on my part is in order. I had bought the movie for my brother's birthday, think it's time I snag a copy for myself.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I don't think anything is known beyond Playstation having a marketing deal for the game. May or may not end up involving some kind of bonus content.

Also, what Birdie said. You won't get free online play with PS4, although PS4 is likely to have the better resolution than Xbox One based on EA/DICE's history.

Eh, did DICE announce that Battlefront wont have a Singleplayer?
No true campaign, but there will be short slices of missions that you can play alone or co-op. Similar to what the previous Battlefront games did.

frye

Here ya go, B'wana Buddy:
B'wana Beast surfing on every animal in the jungle

Also, I'm seriously bummed out by that fucking Xorn thing. New X-men has been great so far, though, but like, what the fuck?

A lot of people hate that reveal because they think it doesn't make any sense. I'm not entirely unsympathetic to that reaction but I think Moz wanted something more like yours --
the idea that here was a Magneto who could and did use his powers for the good of the mutant community and threw that all away to retread a played out script. The last arc, Here Comes Tomorrow, is basically a mess imo but one of the things it does is really interrogate X-Men and its fallback of regurgitating old stories (insert joke about the next 10 years of X-Men comics here)

new x-men spoilaz~ i guess (the one that everyone talks about when they talk new x-men)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm up to the Fantomex introduction, frye--can I read those spoilers and not ruin anything aside from
Magneto
?

frye

Yeah, that's the only real plot point in there. Also that Bachalo Fantomex arc is fucken gr8

That, Riot at Xavier's, and the first few issues are the highlights of the run for me.

"which isn't what i want out of a superhero movie"

A 20 second teaser doesn't really tell you what's going on though. You're judging something completely and totally based on %0.34 percent of it. There's no guarantee that the scenes shown in the teaser represent the final film. They could be color graded darker, they could be from B-roll and so many other things.

This is literal jumping to conclusions.

Boogiepop

I'm XBO so I don't know for sure but I feel like I remember that from something or somewhere.
Yup, and it's lame as hell. When I grab a PS4 down the line it will effectively not have online as a result. Still can't believe that managed to sneak by without much fuss. Also seriously hoping that Nintendo never tries to pull that, as they're the last ones standing for my occasional interest in multiplayer.

Edit: Oh yeah, comics! Halfway through the Avengers Forever part of the Busiek/Perez Avengers omnibus. This is the first part that's really clicking with me. Not that the other parts are bad, just not super amazing for me.

Filthy Slug

Yeah, that's the only real plot point in there. Also that Bachalo Fantomex arc is fucken gr8

Okay, cool. Yeah, I just got through that Xorn issue last night and I reread a bunch of it instantly because of how powerful I thought it was (character-wise and conceptually) and I couldn't help think about how completely shitty that Xorn
reveal
was going to be.

Also, John Paul Leon did a nice job with that issue. Always nice to run into his work.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yup, and it's lame as hell. When I grab a PS4 down the line it will effectively not have online as a result. Still can't believe that managed to sneak by without much fuss. Also seriously hoping that Nintendo never tries to pull that, as they're the last ones standing for my occasional interest in multiplayer.
Well, you get tons of free games, which makes it ok for a lot of people

Boogiepop

Well, you get tons of free games, which makes it ok for a lot of people
Yeah, that's probably why it got a pass, because it didn't effect a good number of fans since they already did Plus. But it was blatently anti-consumer junk that makes me grumpy. I was really hoping they'd push how far their service came without needing fees and combat the One with the "why are you paying for what we're offering for free" since the "live is better and worth it" mentality was dying off. But then of course they went the complete opposite direction and it didn't end up hurting them like at all.

/end grumpy rant

Oh my God. This is usually where I'd ask "why?", but I don't even care. This is incredible.

I think a rewatch on my part is in order. I had bought the movie for my brother's birthday, think it's time I snag a copy for myself.

It's been on HBO a buttload since it popped up on the network, so I've already had my rewatch(es).

Can I get a Laurel Lance Black Canary solo show on CW? That or Birds of Prey.

I wouldn't be surprised if CW/Warner Bros. tried it again.

xorn could have been such a great character.

Who is Zorn btw? He's popped up in Hickman's Avengers. Instead of a sun he has a black hole in his head

frye

Okay, cool. Yeah, I just got through that Xorn issue last night and I reread a bunch of it instantly because of how powerful I thought it was (character-wise and conceptually) and I couldn't help think about how completely shitty that Xorn
reveal
was going to be.

Also, John Paul Leon did a nice job with that issue. Always nice to run into his work.

Yeah he's super good. Aside from side projects he's been working on a Superman: Secret Identity followup focusing on Batman for the last few years with Kurt Busiek which should also be super good whenever it comes out. It's on that Wonder Woman: Earth One schedule at the moment tho

Eh, did DICE announce that Battlefront wont have a Singleplayer?

Battlefield campaigns that aren't Bad Company are pretty terrible anyway, so no great loss.

Just leave Galactic Conquest in. Hell, make it multiplayer. I always liked the idea of Titanfall's Campaign Multiplayer but I never got around to that one.

I just hope this game doesn't make my PC cry.

A 20 second teaser doesn't really tell you what's going on though. You're judging something completely and totally based on %0.34 percent of it. There's no guarantee that the scenes shown in the teaser represent the final film. They could be color graded darker, they could be from B-roll and so many other things.

This is literal jumping to conclusions.

Is there a web cam running where you saw a NeoGaffer jump on to the last few pages of the movie script? #notliteral

You know, I think Superman Vs Batman is a bit different only because of the creative forces behind it. This is a Zack Snyder joint, and he's got a body of work we all (should) judge. I haven't seen Man of Steel, but that's also because I don't particularly like Snyder. His directing style is the film equivalent of a ten year old smashing walnuts with a hammer, but, you know, in slow motion. The trailer, aesthetically, looks like Injustice: The Game: The Movie: The Game, which falls right in line with the choices of Snyder.

But you know, if we're going to try and make assessments of a film based on the fully realized product, we may as well turn off the internet until the movie comes out.

Owzers

Battlefront...it's hard to get hyped for games anymore, there seems to be a general lack of ambition with the larger games.

Battlefront...it's hard to get hyped for games anymore, there seems to be a general lack of ambition with the larger games.

This gen seems very short on new IPs, at least AAA new IPs. The last gen was bad for new properties but we still got Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Bioshock, Gears, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Portal, Last of Us and Minecraft amongst others. Opinions will vary wildly on the merits of those but they all did well and were new IPs. And most of those started fairly early in the gen, like around 06-07.

Arguably Elder Scrolls since people didn't really play Morrowwind on Xbox and Oblivion and Skyrim brought the franchise to the mainstream. There were Call of Duty games on PS2 and Xbox but Call of Duty 2 and especially Modern Warfare made it the biggest franchise in gaming.

It's very hard to take risks when your market is so small and your budgets are so big. I'd like to see new IPs but I have no idea what they'd be right now. That's why I'm not a writer or designer for a living I guess.

tim1138

I don't think anything is known beyond Playstation having a marketing deal for the game. May or may not end up involving some kind of bonus content.

Also, what Birdie said. You won't get free online play with PS4, although PS4 is likely to have the better resolution than Xbox One based on EA/DICE's history.

No true campaign, but there will be short slices of missions that you can play alone or co-op. Similar to what the previous Battlefront games did.

giphy.gif

Ah, interesting. Well if it's just maps and stuff that's fine. I'm also platform agnostic and will definitely be getting a PS4 at some point but most of my friends will be playing on XB1 and I'm not looking to spend for another box any time soon.

Sadly, other than PC paying to pay online is the norm now.

Yeah I know XBO and PS4 make you pay to play online, but I have someone to play local splitscreen with. If it was online only I'd skip because I'm not gonna pay to play online, but since it has local it's all good.

Just got my Orion omnibus in the mail! Is it safe to go into it without reading any past material? I think most of Kirby's Fourth World stuff is out of print :(

Dive in, just know that the back up stories that are now in their own section in the back were meant to be read with the issue they appeared in.

Simonson posted a suggested order on his facebook page. I might just use two bookmarks and follow this.

https://www.facebook.com/waltsimonson/posts/10155318269505254

An ORION Omnibus concordance:
ORION Issue Number and Story Title
Backups: Tales of the New Gods
(All backup stories by Simonson except for issues 8 and 15)

3 For Purple Mountain Majesties…
Nativity/Frank Miller

4 Above the Fruited Plain…
Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down / Dave Gibbons

6 The King is Dead…Long Live the King!
The Perfect Servant / Eric Larsen

7 Tough Love!
Death and His Brother / Howard Chaykin

8 The Righteous Treacheries of Desaad! Or Orion Rules!
Deadend / Jeph Loeb & Rob Liefeld

10 Sirius Business! Or Dog is God Spelled Backwards!
Light! / Art Adams

12 The Ordering of Apokolips
The Garden / Jim Lee

13 The Ordering of Earth!
The Arming of Apokolips / Simonson

14 The Ordering of the Cosmos!
Frankenstein’s Legacy / Simonson

15 At the Edge of the Abyss
Greater Than/Lesser Than / Kevin McCarthy & John Paul Leon

18 The Return of the Prodigal!
A Good Servant / Al Milgrom

19 Laugh and the World Laughs With You!
The Art of the Deal / Eddie Campbell

Mudcrab

Why'd Hickman leave The Ultimates?

He talks about it here. Frye nailed the gist though.

Also since people were wondering about Hickman and Marvel in the future:

Marvel is a fantastic place to work. They’ve treated me exceptionally well. We’ve had pretty upfront and honest discussions about what I’m doing next, which is catching up on my sleep a little bit. I’m taking a couple months off. But I’m not a big fan of saying I am or I am not definitely going to do things, especially when I’m as tired as I am right now.

I’m positive that I will continue to do stuff for Marvel, I’m just not going to do stuff in the six months that follow Secret Wars. I don’t have a book I’m going to work on, I don’t have a pitch sitting on some editor’s desk. I’m trying not to even think about it.

MG310

Think I might be skipping that Atlantic City comic con. Seems a bit too "Hey, look at our celebrities! Want a photo with the Comic Book Men for 100 dollars?!" for what I go to conventions for. Plus it's a month before Special Edition, which is exactly what I go for.

Zombine

Banned
Deathstroke The Terminator Vol 1: Assassins came in the mail! Perfect timing.

Also, I got the Splatoon 3 Pack from Walmart.

ElNarez

Banned
Checchetto and Rucka on that Force Awakens prequel comic god damn

I dug their Punisher for a hot minute, until the Vulture fight, so, yeah : I'm up for it.

Top Bottom