• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

VanWinkle

Might have to start picking them up since DC has shown no intrest in doing Omnis anymore. Randomly they are doing on for Tom Kings Grayson series though lol. Didnt think that was very good?

Man I LOVED Grayson. I'm so pumped they're doing an omnibus for it. DC actually has upped their omnibus stuff SIGNIFICANTLY recently.

In the last 365 days, DC has released three non-Golden/Silver/Bronze-Age omnibuses. Yet in the next nine months, they're releasing ELEVEN non-Golden/Silver/Bronze-Age omnis. Four times the amount in four fewer months.

In addition, last year they released six deluxe editions total. In the next nine months, there are twenty-eight solicited for release.

Messi

Caught up on Saga.

This arc

tumblr_ljm5fbQ42c1qdtmwjo1_500.gif

Killing Slave Knight Gael didn't take as long as I thought it would be.
So Paul Dini is writing Joker/Harley backups in the Harley Quinn comics starting with #17. And now I suddenly have a reason to read Harley comics again!

Your invested in this relationship, aren't you?

Man I LOVED Grayson. I'm so pumped they're doing an omnibus for it. DC actually has upped their omnibus stuff SIGNIFICANTLY recently.

In the last 365 days, DC has released three non-Golden/Silver/Bronze-Age omnibuses. Yet in the next nine months, they're releasing ELEVEN non-Golden/Silver/Bronze-Age omnis. Four times the amount in four fewer months.

In addition, last year they released six deluxe editions total. In the next nine months, there are twenty-eight solicited for release.

Where's the best place to see whats coming out as far as omni's etc?

VanWinkle

Where's the best place to see whats coming out as far as omni's etc?

Best way to me is going to Amazon, searching "dc omnibus" or "marvel omnibus" and then sorting by Recent Arrivals. That will show all of the DC omnis or Marvel omnis from the furthest one away to the soonest (and past ones). You could also do this with deluxe editions by searching "dc deluxe edition". Marvel doesn't have a name for their OHCs unfortunately so you can't do that for them.

Best way to me is going to Amazon, searching "dc omnibus" or "marvel omnibus" and then sorting by Recent Arrivals. That will show all of the DC omnis or Marvel omnis from the furthest one away to the soonest (and past ones). You could also do this with deluxe editions by searching "dc deluxe edition". Marvel doesn't have a name for their OHCs unfortunately so you can't do that for them.
There's also the catalog. Think BC compiled a list of the big ones from it.

I've seen multiple reviewers say that X-Men Gold channels the
Whedon Astonishing
run so that should be interesting to compare.

Also, what would you guys say are your top 5 Rebirth books? It's been a while since I last asked so I'm curious to see how things have changed.
Don't you DARE tell me that. Don't. You. Dare.

Also

Detective Comics
Superman
Nightwing
Green Arrow
JLA

Sandfox

For people that read both Captain America and Uncanny Avengers, it's recommended that you read the latter first.

Don't you DARE tell me that. Don't. You. Dare.

Also

Detective Comics
Superman
Nightwing
Green Arrow
JLA

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Sandfox

I just finished reading X-Men Gold #1 and is what I personally want from the X-Men. It brings back the classic style of story that people expect from the line and has an actual direction unlike the past few years of X-books.
The take on humans fearing mutants that the story is planting seeds for seems pretty modern and grounded as well compared to what we've been getting.
So far Guggenheim seems to have a nice feel for every character's voice. The art can be a little uneven at times, but the colorist did a really good job. One really cool thing is that the issue includes a summary that tells you the story of every member of the team, which I like as someone who hasn't read of lot of older X-Men stuff.
Also, it's cool to have a real Brotherhood team.

This week's All-New Wolverine is a strong start to the new arc and I love the new costumes.

The reaction to this week's Nova will be interesting.

Batman

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending. I like it as an ending in and of itself but
I don't know how I feel about the stuff with the Gotham's being the thing that changes his mind from his suicide aspect. Gotham Girl was barely even shown after the first arc but she is where Bruce suddenly realizes "Oh, I'm just doing this because I should."? That just feels weird to me.

dan2026

Batman

I'm not sure how I feel about this ending. I like it as an ending in and of itself but
I don't know how I feel about the stuff with the Gotham's being the thing that changes his mind from his suicide aspect. Gotham Girl was barely even shown after the first arc but she is where Bruce suddenly realizes "Oh, I'm just doing this because I should."? That just feels weird to me.
I don't like this Batman run at all. I don't think its very good.

However;

Superman 20

This series is going from strength to strength.
The interactions between the Superman family and the Batman family are gold.

shingi70

Banned
My Hero Academia is one of the best superhero series of the last 4 years and it's a shame it hasn't gotten much traction by the comic community.

ElNarez

Banned
Batman

This point is argued in opposition to "I'm doing this as my way out of having to be Batman". What King is arguing in this issue is that, even if there was no material need for a Batman, Bruce would still be Batman, he would still do whatever it takes to help anyone in need. There's no war, there's no salvation, there's just a good man helping people. Which, I think, is a very cool thing.

Just Nightwing, Walking Dead, and Faith for me today. I'll use the downtime to catch up on Batman and Supes.

My Hero Academia is one of the best superhero series of the last 4 years and it's a shame it hasn't gotten much traction by the comic community.

I think there are a few of us in here who enjoy it. It's one of my favorites, though I've fallen a bit behind (as I have with all comics). I'm catching up now that season 2 has started up.

Would love to read some manga, but I'm always unsure about where to start, I just never do. I know there some stuff by Urasawa that I want to read. Classic runs are easy to peg out as worth reading though. In terms of modern series though, I see stuff like Tokyo Ghoul or My Hero Academia that is popular and comes up when I search manga worth checking out, but I have no idea if that means it's good or suited to my tastes. I mean if you Google top selling comics, you'll get the current JL book for example.

dan2026

There's a character in America #2 called "Becky Goodhair" and you know what? Actually, fuck this.
Everything I see of that book makes it look like some kind of awful parody, desperately trying to be funny.

Like an Adam Sandler movie.

ElNarez

Banned
Everything I see of that book makes it look like some kind of awful parody, desperately trying to be funny.

Like an Adam Sandler movie.

It's content with itself in a way it absolutely hasn't earned (not out of prejudice, mind, but because it literally only had one single previous issue). I really wanna like it, especially considering the FUCKING KILLER lineup of artists (Joe Quinones and Ming Doyle both have pages in #2) and the fact it's got characters I love in it, but man, maybe do the work and set up some things before you get all cute. Lay a foundation, y'know?

This point is argued in opposition to "I'm doing this as my way out of having to be Batman". What King is arguing in this issue is that, even if there was no material need for a Batman, Bruce would still be Batman, he would still do whatever it takes to help anyone in need. There's no war, there's no salvation, there's just a good man helping people. Which, I think, is a very cool thing.
Funny enough "Whatever non-evil reality, Bruce is always going to try to do good" has been a thing I've noticed. Amalgam? Bruce is an agent of SHIELD. Bombshells? Bruce will grow up to be a private detective with a Bat theme due to Batwoman saving him as a kid. Hell, even Snyder touched upon it with the happy Bruce without any memories of being Batman still going down that path once more due to the greater good.

Edit: Now I'm real worried the All-New Patriot is Night Thrasher.

The main cover is better, but man this is good.

X-Men Gold #1 was one of the worst comics I've ever read in my life.

The art, already bad, somehow collapses halfway through.

Old Man Logan actually refers to something as "GOLD". THAT FUCKING HAPPENED.

Kitty spits out, pointlessly, two X-Men catchphrases on two separate occasions.

Kitty PUBLICALLY APOLOGIZES FOR MUTANTS BEING BAD AND PLEDGES TO DO BETTER.

They fight Terrax, barely.

A new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants populated mostly by nobodies appears.

Prestige is a horrifically pointless and tasteless erasure of the past of what is basically a mutant holocaust survivor and it is perpetrated and engineered by Kitty WHO IS JEWISH.

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS.
EVERYBODY GOT IT ANYWAY.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the X-Men are and what they represent at the heart of X-Men Gold #1, and the fact that the story is set-up to disappear up the ass of its past doesn't help at all. There's moments in there, but it doesn't congeal into the bold new thing an X-Men relaunch should be.

On the other hand, Royals was dope as fuck and there's a line in it that's so well-crafted and beautiful the implications made me an emotional mess.

Yeah there's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the X-Men are and what they represent at the heart of X-Men Gold #1, and the fact that the story is set-up to disappear up the ass of its past doesn't help at all. There's moments in there, but it doesn't congeal into the bold new thing an X-Men relaunch should be.

On the other hand, Royals was dope as fuck and there's a line in it that's so well-crafted and beautiful the implications made me an emotional mess.

Yes. Ewing has got his mojo back.

Oooh, maybe Mojo will be in this.

ElNarez

Banned
Okay so in Royals #1, Noh-Varr says
"I've let down someone I loved", and I know it shows a picture of someone I'm assuming is Kate, but it could just as well be about Oubliette, and the fact that I'm not really sure of who it's about because both work, but actually say very different things is exactly the mood Noh-Varr should go for, I fucking live for this uncertainty.

PS: I wanna see if Jonboy Meyers can make Noh-Varr's shitty beard from Young Avengers work like McKelvie did.

dan2026

Hell fire are ANY of the relaunch X-men comics good?

This is sounding like one of the biggest wet farts of a relaunch in recent memory.

Okay so in Royals #1, Noh-Varr says
"I've let down someone I loved", and I know it shows a picture of someone I'm assuming is Kate, but it could just as well be about Oubliette, and the fact that I'm not really sure of who it's about because both work, but actually say very different things is exactly the mood Noh-Varr should go for, I fucking live for this uncertainty.

PS: I wanna see if Jonboy Meyers can make Noh-Varr's shitty beard from Young Avengers work like McKelvie did.
It's Ewing. If he can call back to something in the lore that no one else is using, he will.

Prestige is a horrifically pointless and tasteless erasure of the past of what is basically a mutant holocaust survivor and it is perpetrated and engineered by Kitty WHO IS JEWISH.

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS.
EVERYBODY GOT IT ANYWAY.

It's pretty rare for you to call something one of the worst comics you've ever read too. Wow.

Marc Guggenheim strikes again

ElNarez

Banned
Oh yeah, also, I've read some of the colorized Phonogram thanks to the French edition of Rue Britannia that came out this week, and, it's good, it fits the mood and the visual continuity of the rest of Gillen, McKelvie and Wilson's work, but, also, it's not the Phonogram I remember, and so it doesn't feel as special to me. Which is hilarious considering how important the themes of memory and nostalgia are to the whole thing. It's still very good, and it'll still be very special to those that didn't read Phonogram in black and white, but those people are very much not me.

It's content with itself in a way it absolutely hasn't earned (not out of prejudice, mind, but because it literally only had one single previous issue). I really wanna like it, especially considering the FUCKING KILLER lineup of artists (Joe Quinones and Ming Doyle both have pages in #2) and the fact it's got characters I love in it, but man, maybe do the work and set up some things before you get all cute. Lay a foundation, y'know?

The cover to #2 is an homage to Beyonce. Of course it's gonna have a Beyonce reference. lol

I agree with what you're saying. I guess my issue is the personification of it in Gotham Girl. I feel like the impact of it being any difference is lost on me. They were first significant because they were just like him, but at the end it's more that they were important because it needed done.

I guess I'm just more caught in the details of it even though I really like how it all works together.

dustyherb

TWD 166:
lmfao I can't believe Sherry actually died like that. I really thought Dwight was going to be the one to do it, but this works as well. Good fucking riddance, couldn't stand her anymore

TheFlow

Banned

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS.
EVERYBODY GOT IT ANYWAY.
The first negative birdie review.

But that sucks. I expected gold to be the most boring x men book but not actually bad

Neoxon

Nova #5:
So Richie went back to the Canververse to face it head-on? Hopefully he finds a way to get back to Earth.

Top Bottom