• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

New Carol's War(the CWII parody) pages:
tumblr_ontymvcrv81uwl0hu9i.jpg

tumblr_onxnwyuz2i1uwlhmuyv.jpg

Sandfox

X-Men Gold #1 was one of the worst comics I've ever read in my life.

The art, already bad, somehow collapses halfway through.

Old Man Logan actually refers to something as "GOLD". THAT FUCKING HAPPENED.

Kitty spits out, pointlessly, two X-Men catchphrases on two separate occasions.

Kitty PUBLICALLY APOLOGIZES FOR MUTANTS BEING BAD AND PLEDGES TO DO BETTER.

They fight Terrax, barely.

A new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants populated mostly by nobodies appears.

Prestige is a horrifically pointless and tasteless erasure of the past of what is basically a mutant holocaust survivor and it is perpetrated and engineered by Kitty WHO IS JEWISH.

NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS.
EVERYBODY GOT IT ANYWAY.
I really liked the issue personally. We tend to have the opposite view on books lol.

Sandfox

I'd love to see your corresponding list lol
I posted my thoughts earlier, but tried to avoid anything in-depth with the content of the book . Basically with everything you dislike I either liked or interpreted differently. Also, I think saying "nobody wanted this" is pretty untrue lol.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
My Hero Academia is one of the best superhero series of the last 4 years and it's a shame it hasn't gotten much traction by the comic community.

I've really liked the three and a half volumes that I've read, outside of the parts about manga that I never really enjoy.

There's a character in America #2 called "Becky Goodhair" and you know what? Actually, fuck this.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I was one of the three or four people that actually sort of liked the first one but this one had so many problems. Awkward dialogue, things not really flowing together. And the art is the worst that I've seen from Joe Quinones.

I posted my thoughts earlier, but tried to avoid anything in-depth with the content of the book . Basically with everything you dislike I either liked or interpreted differently. Also, I think saying "nobody wanted this" is pretty untrue lol.

I mean sure cada uno a su gusto

But yeah

Sandfox

I mean sure cada uno a su gusto

But yeah
I'm not saying the book is perfect or anything, because there are some moments where it gets obvious with them trying to explain the new direction of the line(though I'm forgiving because it's the first issue of an arc named "back to the basics"), and the art is spotty at times, but I feel it's a step above what we've been getting for a while and closer in line to how people traditionally see the X-Men.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nice. I pretty much just read Marvel in OHC/Omnibus format, so I guess we're probably pretty similar in that regard.

There are a few books I am interested in since Rebirth, but I bought a new car and have to pay for it and so I have to stick for more stuff that I already know that I like to some degree... And also I am currently a bit more interested in movies then comics and dip around 100€ alone for these every month.

VanWinkle

You guys need to look into the newly released Batman: Ego and Other Tails Deluxe Edition by Darwyn Cooke. It's gorgeous, with a matte dust jacket, a new 2-page introduction by Amanda Conner and about 70 pages of material not in the original Ego and Other Tails paperback.

Also seemingly uses a new paper stock from DC that I REALLY hope will become the new standard for their deluxe editions. It looks and feels just like their amazing omnibus paper but is just a bit thinner (still easily thicker than their previous glossy or Marvel's OHC/omni paper).

Highly recommended.

PsLwLh.jpg

You guys need to look into the newly released Batman: Ego and Other Tails Deluxe Edition by Darwyn Cooke. It's gorgeous, with a matte dust jacket, a new 2-page introduction by Amanda Conner and about 70 pages of material not in the original Ego and Other Tails paperback.

Also seemingly uses a new paper stock from DC that I REALLY hope will become the new standard for their deluxe editions. It looks and feels just like their amazing omnibus paper but is just a bit thinner (still easily thicker than their previous glossy or Marvel's OHC/omni paper).

Highly recommended.

[IG]http://i.cubeupload.com/PsLwLh.jpg[/IMG]

That looks great!

On a side note, I think it is now easier to keep track of Batman issues that don't have his parents or the pearls in them than the other way around.

arkon

Would love to read some manga, but I'm always unsure about where to start, I just never do. I know there some stuff by Urasawa that I want to read. Classic runs are easy to peg out as worth reading though. In terms of modern series though, I see stuff like Tokyo Ghoul or My Hero Academia that is popular and comes up when I search manga worth checking out, but I have no idea if that means it's good or suited to my tastes. I mean if you Google top selling comics, you'll get the current JL book for example.

Check your local library for them or ask for opinions in here/elsewhere on GAF?

Highly recommended.

Looks awesome man, Cooke's work deserves to shine like that. I'm not sure pulpy crime thriller in your forte but if you're enthusiastic enough about Cooke's stuff, it's worth hunting down the hardcovers of his Parker adaptations he worked on at IDW. There's not that many but they are really nice collections.

Check your local library for them or ask for opinions in here/elsewhere on GAF?

Ah I know man, but you know, laze haha. Plus like I mentioned there's a few I do know that I want to check, probably worth making the effort there first. 20th Century Boys, Monster, Vinland Saga, Vagabond.

Yeah. That's a pretty good list.

Oh yea and Berserk, I heard that one had a couple of decent-ish volumes ;) haha I'll get there eventually dude then I can turn an eye to more modern ongoing stuffs. I appreciate the ideas though :) library is a good shout, although the library in my town :|

Would love to read some manga, but I'm always unsure about where to start, I just never do. I know there some stuff by Urasawa that I want to read. Classic runs are easy to peg out as worth reading though. In terms of modern series though, I see stuff like Tokyo Ghoul or My Hero Academia that is popular and comes up when I search manga worth checking out, but I have no idea if that means it's good or suited to my tastes. I mean if you Google top selling comics, you'll get the current JL book for example.
You should check out Solanin. Only a single book and one of my favorite manga.

dan2026

The Dini backup story in Harley Quin is that best thing Harley has been in for years.

I'm beginning to think Harley just doesn't work without the Joker (or maybe Ivy) to play off.
Or perhaps its just that Dini's writing of the character is so much better than the other people who have been writing her.

I suppose he did create her after all!

You should check out Solanin. Only a single book and one of my favorite manga.

Oh, I think I saw this one earlier, I was trying to better myself and actually understand the various genre/demographic things. I think what one came up when I was checking Seinen? I think so anyway. The cover was striking enough it stuck with me anyway, I'll take a note of that one too.

VanWinkle

That looks great!

On a side note, I think it is now easier to keep track of Batman issues that don't have his parents or the pearls in them than the other way around.

Haha, true. I don't even notice it anymore. Such a mainstay in his stories.

Looks awesome man, Cooke's work deserves to shine like that. I'm not sure pulpy crime thriller in your forte but if you're enthusiastic enough about Cooke's stuff, it's worth hunting down the hardcovers of his Parker adaptations he worked on at IDW. There's not that many but they are really nice collections.

Parker looks really cool. I will eventually get those. I'm mad at myself for not buying the Parker Martini Edition when it was going for like $30.

Messi

Oh we have a Hanzo... Someone pick a Widowmaker wouldn't want to miss out on both shit characters. Fuck this game.

TWD 166:
So with the sweat on the face and weakness, it looks like Andrea is dunzo. Would be heartbreaking. Our sharpshooting, voice of reason. I remember when she got with Dale and I was shocked and like, well, kinda ew. But I loved them together. Didn't like her with Rick so much but was happy just to see a lot of her. Remember when she fought off those dudes in the watch tower? So badass.

Black Widow #12 was a solid final issue. Really enjoyed this run. Was a hardcover confirmed or am I imagining things? I'll definitely pick it up if so.

Top Bottom