• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

New parody page:
tumblr_ooamksiqxi1uwlc5ol2.jpg

DC's tribute in today's books:

caliph95

Sam Wilson
Good news i think we get a glimpse of our new patriot
Bad news Sam Wilson says goodbye to being Cap America, I bet gaf will be happy of this development

Is anyone a fan of Antony Johnston? He may have contributed to Shadowland, which is unfortunate. But he's done some great stuff at Oni Press and Image over the years. His graphic novel, The Coldest City, is being turned into a movie with Charlize Theron, which is cool. Spy thriller set in Berlin around the wall coming down, the new trailer looks kind of awesome? It's been renamed Atomic Blonde. Click

caliph95

Is anyone a fan of Antony Johnston? He may have contributed to Shadowland, which is unfortunate. But he's done some great stuff at Oni Press and Image over the years. His graphic novel, The Coldest City, is being turned into a movie with Charlize Theron, which is cool. Spy thriller set in Berlin around the wall coming down, the new trailer looks kind of awesome? It's been renamed Atomic Blonde. Click
I thought his Fuse was pretty good

arkon

Yep. I'll check out anything he's involved in. I think of the stuff I tried the only thing I fell off was Codename Baboushka and that was mostly down to being unable to deal with the art. Fuse, Umbral and Wasteland. All good stuff. Just a shame his Image books didn't find a more sizeable audience. I've mentioned it before but I would have loved to have seen where he was going with Umbral. Still haven't finished the last arc of Fuse so I don't know how it ends but I hope we see more of that at some stage too. Hell, I'd take a TV adaptation of that. It's like a perfect marriage of some of my favourite genres in fiction.

Edit: maybe this movie will open up his and his collaborators' work to a wider audience. One can only hope.

Yep. I'll check out anything he's involved in. I think of the stuff I tried the only thing I fell off was Codename Baboushka and that was mostly down to being unable to deal with the art. Fuse, Umbral and Wasteland. All good stuff. Just a shame his Image books didn't find a more sizeable audience. I've mentioned it before but I would have loved to have seen where he was going with Umbral. Still haven't finished the last arc of Fuse so I don't know how it ends but I hope we see more of that at some stage too. Hell, I'd take a TV adaptation of that. It's like a perfect marriage of some of my favourite genres in fiction.

Edit: maybe this movie will open up his and his collaborators' work to a wider audience. One can only hope.

Ah dude, haha. I haven't checked out The Fuse yet, and I skipped Baboushka for the exact same reason, but I would agree completely on Umbral, way too short lived! And Wasteland holds a special place in my heart, especially the first 25 issues. I hope so too, it's really bad that Umbral could only muster 2 volumes, particularly with someone like Mitten onboard. I believe The Fuse only lasted so long because 4 volumes was baked into the deal somehow.

caliph95

Didn't finish Umbral so it's probably partially my fault lol. I was wondering what happened to that book

Didn't finish Umbral so it's probably partially my fault lol. I was wondering what happened to that book

It literally ended with no plot threads tied up, mid story lol. They just literally didn't have the readership. What's a shame is if you look at Image now, you have a book like Monstress doing really well, so there's a market for this kind of stuff.

caliph95

It literally ended with no plot threads tied up, mid story lol. They just literally didn't have the readership. What's a shame is if you look at Image now, you have a book like Monstress doing really well, so there's a market for this kind of stuff.
Damn too bad for 10 readers it had

I wanted to catch up with that book too bad about it, how is his Wasteland i will probably liked it if i enjoyed the issues i read of Fuse and Umbral.

Also i guess i should catch up with Monstress feel like reducing the number of Big Two and turning alternative

I wanted to catch up with that book too bad about it, how is his Wasteland i will probably liked it if i enjoyed the issues i read of Fuse and Umbral.

It was one of the first things I got into when I got back into comics so I hold it pretty high but objectively, it was a pretty cool series that had some issues later on. The first 5 volumes Imo are really great stuff but Mitten got burned out and left the book after that. Vol 6 was rough as hell with hideous art then the book went on break for quite awhile, which really killed the momentum. Eventually Johnston hooked up with Justin Greenwood, who he did The Fuse with afterwards, and Mitten came back and did the final arc too. Overall, in trade it probably doesn't reflect too badly bar that one volume.

As for the actual content, I thought it pretty much had it all. Great interesting characters, a fantastic world you wanted to know more about with great visuals l, and a cool mystery to hook it all together. I find it kind of sad it wasn't a bigger deal, it was pretty progressive and exciting.

Sad Gotham Academy is wrapping up, it always seems to have a specific story to tell but the quick death of the DCyou and the padding that seemed to come with the shake up in the overall line didnt seem to do it any favours in telling that story. At least DC brought it back to tell that story properly and finish out cleanly. Seemed inevitable it would finish though with the creative pretty busy with their own stuff off the back of it and Batgirl's success.

Top Bottom