• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

I don't read Valient, but why faith? (yes I'm asking because fat woman).

It's just a joke because Messi loves her. Truth is, it won't be her (she has her own series and she has a representation role to fill for Valiant) or Kris (because of LGBT representation). It has to be Torque or Peter, though I wonder about Peter staying dead for long if it's him

caliph95

It's just a joke because Messi loves her. Truth is, it won't be her (she has her own series and she has a representation role to fill for Valiant) or Kris (because of LGBT representation). It has to be Torque or Peter, though I wonder about Peter staying dead for long if it's him
Probably Torque having a redemption death

Ross61

Worst idea ever putting it on a break and then bringing it back not a part of Rebirth. Sure it didn't probably hurt it a ton, but those are still things that hurt it regardless. Not to mention the first two issues that came back were throw away issues that were pretty damn pointless.
What difference would a Rebirth series have made?

What difference would a Rebirth series have made?

Just the naming in general, you have to assume it'd at least help out a little coming back after a break. I can only assume you see it next to the other DC books and don't see Rebirth you just assume it doesn't matter as much or isn't apart of the rest.

I'm just assuming seeing Rebirth would have helped it out at least a little bit.

I feel like the mini's have the same issue. Not seeing Rebirth just makes it seem like they're not apart of the same canon.

Mm, I 'm not sure Rebirth was ever on the cards for GA, simply because it probably only got to come back as part of rounding out it's story, rather than any open ended idea. That initial arc was so strong, but after that they didn't seem to know what to do with the critical success, in between the DCyou thing going away quick and Rebirth coming on. Tie-ns, anthology style arcs, you can tell they only had that initial 6 issues guaranteed and the rest was a bit more seat of the pants. The team mentioning wanting to come back down the line, hopefully a clean break and a fresh start oppose to a hangover from a cancelled line would see a clearer focus.

On the whole, I wish Batgirl, GA & Black Canary had gotten longer, I really enjoyed those books, but at least the success of Batgirl & Ga will have contributed to getting Motor Crush & Isola. Seems like a better deal in the long run, plus Cloonan has kept going with Southern Cross.

Mm, I 'm not sure Rebirth was ever on the cards for GA, simply because it probably only got to come back as part of rounding out it's story, rather than any open ended idea. That initial arc was so strong, but after that they didn't seem to know what to do with the critical success, in between the DCyou thing going away quick and Rebirth coming on. Tie-ns, anthology style arcs, you can tell they only had that initial 6 issues guaranteed and the rest was a bit more seat of the pants. The team mentioning wanting to come back down the line, hopefully a clean break and a fresh start oppose to a hangover from a cancelled line would see a clearly focus.

On the whole, I wish Batgirl, GA & Black Canary had gotten longer, I really enjoyed those books, but at least the success of Batgirl & Ga will have contributed to getting Motor Crush & Isola. Seems like a better deal in the long run, plus Cloonan has kept going with Southern Cross.

If it had no clue what to do it most certainly shouldn't have come back because those first two issues after coming back felt almost like filler it was so pointless.

Ross61

Just the naming in general, you have to assume it'd at least help out a little coming back after a break. I can only assume you see it next to the other DC books and don't see Rebirth you just assume it doesn't matter as much or isn't apart of the rest.

I'm just assuming seeing Rebirth would have helped it out at least a little bit.

I feel like the mini's have the same issue. Not seeing Rebirth just makes it seem like they're not apart of the same canon.
Putting Rebirth by its name wouldn't have helped it. It lived and died on its creative teams willingness and digital sales.

And adding Rebirth hasn't helped a good number of series past there first few issues.

Putting Rebirth by its name wouldn't have helped it. It lived and died on its creative teams willingness and digital sales.

And adding Rebirth hasn't helped a good number of series past there first few issues.

That's my whole point though. If people are more willing to pick up a book with the Rebirth on it that means more eyes are seeing it and more likely to keep buying it. If a book without Rebirth on it gets less additional eyes it's being hurt by it in some way.

Worst idea ever putting it on a break and then bringing it back not a part of Rebirth. Sure it didn't probably hurt it a ton, but those are still things that hurt it regardless. Not to mention the first two issues that came back were throw away issues that were pretty damn pointless.

I think the Yearbook volume killed the momentum. The break was just the final nail.

Ross61

That's my whole point though. If people are more willing to pick up a book with the Rebirth on it that means more eyes are seeing it and more likely to keep buying it. If a book without Rebirth on it gets less additional eyes it's being hurt by it in some way.
Don't know if that's true when we see those Super Sons, JLA, and Batwoman drops.

arkon

It literally ended with no plot threads tied up, mid story lol. They just literally didn't have the readership. What's a shame is if you look at Image now, you have a book like Monstress doing really well, so there's a market for this kind of stuff.
A shame too because it felt like things were really getting going at that point too

Don't know if that's true when we see those Super Sons, JLA, and Batwoman drops.

Yeah, but compare their first issue sales compared to the mini first issue sales that aren't labeled as Rebirth.

Drops are going to happen regardless, I'm just talking about Rebirth vs non Rebirth. Outside of Dark Knight 3 the mini's do a lot less for first issues compared to everything else Rebirth.

link
plx
im the only one here who likes valiant

VS_2017_wednesday.jpg

There you go man.

Can't remember if I asked recently, I was definitely thinking about it, but, if you wanted to read Valiant for Matt Kindt & Jeff lemire, and you decided to go with The Valiant as a starting point and go:

The Valiant
Bloodshot Reborn 1 & 2
Ninjak 1 & 2
and Rai 1 &2 (just cos it looks cool, I know it's set before these others/well released before them, but set in it's own future thing)

How are we doing here? Right ballpark?

Can't remember if I asked recently, I was definitely thinking about it, but, if you wanted to read Valiant for Matt Kindt & Jeff lemire, and you decided to go with The Valiant as a starting point and go:

The Valiant
Bloodshot Reborn 1 & 2
Ninjak 1 & 2
and Rai 1 &2 (just cos it looks cool, I know it's set before these others/well released before them, but set in it's own future thing)

Looks good. You could just read 4001 and all the tie ins and get a great fuckin story.

caliph95

The Valiant
Bloodshot Reborn 1 & 2
Ninjak 1 & 2

From memory that sound about right, i think Rai can be read when ever since yeah it's in the future also IIRC Bloodshot and Ninjak do their own thing so pick whichever order. Personally for me Ninjak takes for it to be great while Bloodshot was consistent.

Edit: also listen to birdie
I guess he looked at his grave and decideed he needed a bit more space, he wants to fill a house in that grave

Haha okay follow up questions then

- As far as 4001, Rai 1-3 before it, necessary? Or no? That might be a good way just to quickly sample the world but I don't mind buying the volumes of Rai that came before

- As far as Bloodshot Reborn & Ninjak - If they're pretty out there doing their own thing, is the valiant even necessary as a set up? Outside of being a good book in and of itself of course. I just want to buy in and get a taste of what's up, and see what I think

Also lol Syaf. Going balls deep I guess. I suppose he can't make it much worse for himself in that regard, although even at ttis point I'd like to think I'd be encroaching on "disappointing even myself" territory.

caliph95

- As far as 4001, Rai 1-3 before it, necessary? Or no? That might be a good way just to quickly sample the world but I don't mind buying the volumes of Rai that came before

- As far as Bloodshot Reborn & Ninjak - If they're pretty out there doing their own thing, is the valiant even necessary as a set up? Outside of being a good book in and of itself of course. I just want to buy in and get a taste of what's up, and see what I think
Birdie should clear things up but The Valiant as well as being great is also needed for Bloodshot as it sets up the plot points for the book. It's more than likely important.I think Ninjak should be fine if you know some casual info about the verse

Also lol Syaf. Going balls deep I guess. I suppose he can't make it much worse for himself in that regard, although even at ttis point I'd like to think I'd be encroaching on "disappointing even myself" territory.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, honestly. My recommendation is to start at the beginning and read everything. (Except Shadowman but even then you miss out on stuff that pays off later.)

You definitely need The Valiant to set up Bloodshot Reborn.

Right, cheers guys. I appreciate starting at the very beginning is probably the best idea in terms of understanding the world lol but I'm mostly just interested in checking out books by Lemire & Kindt that I'm missing out on. I looked at what came before and plucked out Rai since that's by Kindt but mostly sectioned off by the nature of it's premise, but I just don't have the money or will to invest in the whole universe when it's the writers I'm coming for, at least at this point in time, over the characters If it's something I got big into though, I would definitely go back for Dysart.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I've read all of Bloodshot Reborn and most of it is standalone. I don't even know much about the other Valiant heroes outside of their names.

I'd recommend getting into the new X-O Manowar series. I read the first issue and it is very promising.

caliph95

Right, cheers guys. I appreciate starting at the very beginning is probably the best idea in terms of understanding the world lol but I'm mostly just interested in checking out books by Lemire & Kindt that I'm missing out on. I looked at what came before and plucked out Rai since that's by Kindt but mostly sectioned off by the nature of it's premise, but I just don't have the money or will to invest in the whole universe when it's the writers I'm coming for, at least at this point in time, over the characters If it's something I got big into though, I would definitely go back for Dysart.
Fair enough

You should definately for Dysart

For his books it just in the order
Harbinger
Harbinger Omegas
Imperium

I'd recommend getting into the new X-O Manowar series. I read the first issue and it is very promising.

The previews for this look great, the art is just fantastic. And it's a natural jumping on point so I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it.

You should definately for Dysart

Dysart is just a wonderful guy. Unknown Soldier is still one of my favourite runs today and the LL3 stuff is just unbelievable. Hard hitting, on point sad stuff, but someone's gotta do it. I wish he would do some crazy spiritual follow-up to Unknown Soldier at Image but dude is doing great things elsewhere, I can't complain.

Is anyone a fan of Antony Johnston? He may have contributed to Shadowland, which is unfortunate. But he's done some great stuff at Oni Press and Image over the years. His graphic novel, The Coldest City, is being turned into a movie with Charlize Theron, which is cool. Spy thriller set in Berlin around the wall coming down, the new trailer looks kind of awesome? It's been renamed Atomic Blonde. Click
I liked Umbral but haven't read vol 2 yet. I think vol 2 was the end of it.

Happy to see there will be a new Patriot (better than none), but whew...

I feel so bad for Sam Wilson.

Also, BP and the Crew was totally Misty Knight centric, and I am so down with that.

Top Bottom