• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of headlamp did you buy? <_<

And like many others have already said, Fables is fantastic through the first 75 issues (or 11 volumes). All issues/volumes thereafter does not compare but I still find it enjoyable.

Zebralight H502 AA Flood Headlamp
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087T6CAI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lowest setting is moonlight and wil last 3 months on one AA battery. I use the 3rd lowest setting and it works great. Light pivots great too.

kswiston

It seems to me that image books always seem to have long runs, fables, invincible, walking dead, chew. I hope Saga goes to those levels.
I'd be gutted if it got canned.

Fables is DC :p

Creator owned books usually have pretty steady audiences if they happen to break through in the first place. As such, they can continue to be published as long as their creator is interested. If Saga ends, it definitely will not be due to poor sales. If previous BKV books are anything to go by, I'd expect 50-60 issues.

Messi

Fables is DC :p

Creator owned books usually have pretty steady audiences if they happen to break through in the first place. As such, they can continue to be published as long as their creator is interested. If Saga ends, it definitely will not be due to poor sales. If previous BKV books are anything to go by, I'd expect 50-60 issues.

Not sure why I typed fables :p

f0rk

How is Ultimate Spiderman after Ultimatum? I just finished reading through all 22 of my trades again and really enjoyed it. I'd say the first half is better than the second and I didn't really like the artist change but it's still a great series. Ultimatum was pretty dumb though and I didn't follow up on the 'reboot', should I give it a try?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How is Ultimate Spiderman after Ultimatum? I just finished reading through all 22 of my trades again and really enjoyed it. I'd say the first half is better than the second and I didn't really like the artist change but it's still a great series. Ultimatum was pretty dumb though and I didn't follow up on the 'reboot', should I give it a try?

Ultimate Spidey after Ultimatum is closing in on the switch to Miles. The Peter stuff is pretty fun and could easily have kept going that way for a while.

Nudull

Banned
Ultimate Spidey after Ultimatum is closing in on the switch to Miles. The Peter stuff is pretty fun and could easily have kept going that way for a while.

Speaking of which, I've been slowly getting into the Miles Morales stuff, and in truth, it's growing on me quickly. I've only read the end of Venom War and the Spider-Men miniseries so far, and I'm really eager to read from the beginning, now.

Color time.

BSEWSkRIQAAA7he.jpg:large

arkon

So sick of not having a LCS :(

Just gotta substitute it with the online stuff. I use economic-comics and a few other sites to get my stuff. Usually have most books by Thursday or Friday. Very rarely they slip into the following week. Not ideal but it beats driving further afield to get to a decent store.

You're in Ireland right? Not sure what delivery times would be like for you.

Alternatively go digital :p

Messi

Just gotta substitute it with the online stuff. I use economic-comics and a few other sites to get my stuff. Usually have most books by Thursday or Friday. Very rarely they slip into the following week. Not ideal but it beats driving further afield to get to a decent store.

You're in Ireland right? Not sure what delivery times would be like for you.

Alternatively go digital :p

I would but I like the feel of reading a physical copy.

Its really bad, I have to travel an hour each way to get my comics.

Messi

Also I am sure this is another case of me being an idiot for not being able to understand basic plot and characters, see me not being able to tell who any of the characters in wonder woman were or what was going on :p, But in Hawkeye #11
The pizza dog issue, I get that its from the perspective of pizza dog but I had no idea what the hell was going on for most of it. Near the end it looks like pizza dog gets tossed off the roof and in the next page he is not. Am I missing something?

Owzers

I would but I like the feel of reading a physical copy.

Its really bad, I have to travel an hour each way to get my comics.

dcbs monthly comics shipments, 40 single issues a month and a couple trades maybe
Marvel Digital Unlimited subscription
Comixology sales for random stuff i don't own like Seaguy vol 2 or digital first stuff.

I'm set...though i still miss out on reading issues the day they come out this way.

hamchan

Great. Series has always been good IMO. Thankfully Ultimate Spider-Man didn't get destroyed by Ultimatum like the X-Men did. Read all of it.

Speaking about digital comics, I can't recommend Marvel Unlimited enough. So much value for $60 a year. I've been reading so damn much. Only thing is I'm behind 6 months of recent comics but I'm ok with that considering how much i save. I just come here and go "Cyclops was right!!" 6 months later and people still know what I'm talking about.

I really wish DC had something similar because ill gladly give them $60 too.

Really, I lost spidey after Ultimatum. That was the end for me, the sudden changes and everything about the series felt like it was a big shift from the previous works.

Really, I lost spidey after Ultimatum. That was the end for me, the sudden changes and everything about the series felt like it was a big shift from the previous works.

I felt like it got back on track nicely after Ultimatum. They brought back the "Amazing Friends" arc gang! It was probably my favourite time since the very early months of the series. Miles Morales is a fucking joke though. So damn boring.

Swindle

Banned
Hi guys just wanted to ask. Has either big company shared any future plans regarding digital versus paper? As in incentives? I would think digital would be cheaper, even 50 cents would do.

Hi guys just wanted to ask. Has either big company shared any future plans regarding digital versus paper? As in incentives? I would think digital would be cheaper, even 50 cents would do.
Marvel tried to do something like this by turning their paper into complete shit, its not even to ply.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I think DC marks down their single issues after a few (8?) weeks (by a dollar) and Marvel has a .99 cent sale every Monday.

Acid08

Banned
Purchases for today:

Trillium #1
Astro City: Life in the Big City
Walrus(Brandon Graham artbook)

Stoked as fuck to look through Walrus, Graham is my fav. As far as Astro City goes, this is the first volume as far as I know. Is there any kind of reading order for this stuff? Almost none of the volumes are numbered.

kmfdmpig

Color time.

That looks great! Your wife is very talented.

Acid:
Life in the Big City is indeed the beginning of it all, and it's great.

Many of the issues are not really dependent on reading in a specific order as its all working off of archetypes and well established conventions.

TheWraith

FIf Saga ends, it definitely will not be due to poor sales. If previous BKV books are anything to go by, I'd expect 50-60 issues.

BKV has planned it for 100+ issues ongoing hence the title of the series! If sales permit of course, but it definitely looks to be a big hit so far.

BKV has planned it for 100+ issues ongoing hence the title of the series! If sales permit of course, but it definitely looks to be a big hit so far.

The only way I could see it getting canned is if the writing takes a dive for an extended period of time. But it's a BKV book, so I don't think that's very likely.

kswiston

First color pass. She wearing my headlamp.

That's a cool anniversary gift.

When we first started dating, my wife used to watercolor my drawings. It's been many years since I have picked up my art pencils though, and she moved towards yarn crafts.It's crazy how fast a skill like that atrophies when you aren't using it.

dcbs monthly comics shipments, 40 single issues a month and a couple trades maybe
Marvel Digital Unlimited subscription
Comixology sales for random stuff i don't own like Seaguy vol 2 or digital first stuff.

I'm set...though i still miss out on reading issues the day they come out this way.

I know what you mean, this is my first waiting on dcbs and I think I may be going through some withdrawals. :p

I do read some when they come out thanks to a friend, but I miss my visit to the LCS.

Owzers

Speaking of random Comixology sale things i buy: There is a Madman sale going on right now and they have the 20th Anniversary Monster on sale for 5.99. Sure it's not oversized in format, but it's also not $40-60.

Also, Spider-Men got a lot better towards the last three issues, but i'm glad i didn't blindly buy the OHC. It was fun MU reading.

I already bought the Gen. X stuff today, and i have a feeling i'm gonna be spending a bit on this Madman sale. I've never read it but i do dig the fuck out of Allred

I rarely spend time in the Community pages here, so this is my first time posting in this OT, but I'll be moving out of the US for work and was curious if there are any like..nuances to going digital I should be aware of? I'm picking up the new Nexus 7 soon, but I'm really oblivious to the whole Comixology thing since I've essentially lived in and/or worked at a comic book store my entire life until recently. Are there any other programs I should look into (if I wanted to read older comics, for example), or would just that one about cover me?

Nudull

Banned
Just got done with Wonder Woman: The Circle. It was a bit underwhelming at first, but it really picked up by the halfway mark and was a damn good read, overall. Luckily, my library system has the other trades of Gail Simone's run, so I could always go and see how it all stacks up for me. Also, the Last of Us comic is so good. This may or may not be my growing fandom towards Faith Erin Hicks talking.

zaxor0

Those who read comics on tablets, is a 7 inch screen too small? I read on a older gaf thread that 9 inches or so works great for comics.

I'm thinking about getting an android tablet solely to read comics on--maybe a nook hd+.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom