• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2013. The only time of year when everyone envies Bobby Drake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangers In Paradise box set is supposed to be out this week. If Instocktrades puts that shit up for 50% off, I'm down.

This makes me so jealous of you Americans and your DCBSes and your Instocktrades.The best we Canadians can hope for is like, maybe 15 percent off from Expert Comics. Amazon.ca has it lists at $65 which is great, especially if you want a set with every corner dented and dinged.

Asked my wife to draw me Batman for my wedding anniversary gift. She just started it.

Batman truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

Ok so, I read Kot's last Suicide Squad issue and.. it was weird. The whole, like, This Is What Happened Last Time part did a crap job because I didn't remember any of that shit. Also, my memory isn't great, ok. But then- THEN-
he has a dictator that is someguy from someplace.
That was weird. I don't mean to imply he deserved to be fired. I'm dropping the book because of that fact. I liked parts of the issue. It ended strong and fun was had but I could see if the editor felt he didn't take the property seriously enough or something? I dunno.

Yeah I don't know either. I mean, don't get me wrong, the run started out strong. It felt like he was doing some house cleaning
specifically referring to the really bad idea of having a on demand resurrection drug
. But it went pretty goofy pretty fast. I especially love how King Shark has his old look back again for seemingly no reason? lol? I wonder if that was planned/allowed or the editor just looked, saw it was a shark man and was like, "yup", without double checking.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monday morning list time!

Daredevil #30
Superior Spider-Man #16
Wonder Woman #23
X-Men #4

Avengers #18
Avengers Assemble #18
Batman and Robin (2011-) #23
Batwoman (2011-) #23
Indestructible Hulk #12
Supergirl #23
Superman Unchained #3

Good week! Daredevil is always eagerly anticipated. Still need to get back into Hellboy/BPRD/Lobster Johnson etc, fell behind although I have a bunch of the early trades and now there's about a hundred issues over various series that I've missed.

Fistexe

With upcoming Ultimate Universe events, I decided to reread some of it's early stuff.

Man, there are some great things. Ellis is sooooo good on Ultimate Galactus (except the ending). And early Xmen is also quite entertaining, Millar was actually trying to write interesting stories and Bachalo art is amazing (David story especially).

it's kinda sad, that this universe is going to die.

Current ongoings is very good, btw. Ultimates is just crazy and awesome, like a lot of early stories.

arkon

Got the first two Atomic Robo trades from the library today and read them both in about an hour. That is some great stuff, does it stay this high quality?

They're pretty consistent and it goes up a notch when Dr Dinosaur gets introduced. I forget which trade has his first appearance, but it's a great character.

edit.
My list:

Adventure Time #19
Bravest Warriors #11
Daredevil #30
Legion Of Super-Heroes #23
X-Men Legacy #15

Cheebo

Banned
With upcoming Ultimate Universe events, I decided to reread some of it's early stuff.

Man, there are some great things. Ellis is sooooo good on Ultimate Galactus (except the ending). And early Xmen is also quite entertaining, Millar was actually trying to write interesting stories and Bachalo art is amazing (David story especially).

Current ongoings is very good, btw. Ultimates is just crazy and awesome, like a lot of early stories.
The pre-Ultimatium Ultimate universe stuff is fantastic. And in a way the most influential Marvel comics of the past 15 years. The Marvel Cinematic Universe Avengers is based heavily off of Ultimates.

sol_bad

Does anyone know of a read order for the Infinity event?
Read orders really do help a lot and I can't seem to find one for this event.

hamchan

Is it actually confirmed that the Ultimate Universe is going to die? Probably true though since sales aren't that great.

Ultimate Spider-Man is pretty much what got me into comics and has imo remained high quality for the start until now. I'll be happy since that will probably survive but I'll be extremely sad if the whole universe implodes or something. If Miles Morales comes into the 616 universe too then I'll feel he'll lose a bit of his uniqueness and just become another random Spider family character.

So many quality stories in the universe. Loved what they did with Reed Richards being a psychopath. Enjoyed Ultimate X-Men and Kitty Pryde pretty much becoming the main char (though I don't know how many other people enjoyed it). Ultimate is pretty quality stuff right now, what you said.

Will certainly feel bad if everyone except Miles just dies. All those characters... just gone.

EDIT: Wait, then what it going to happen to Ultimate MJ, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy, Ganke? omg

Nightwing pulling a Catwoman. Dat Objectification. ;)

N4l77WU.jpg

Thinking that if it takes me longer than a week to even attempt to read some books then im dropping it.

So on the chopping block are:
All of Valiant
Conan
Young Avengers

Owzers

Thinking that if it takes me longer than a week to even attempt to read some books then im dropping it.

So on the chopping block are:
All of Valiant
Conan
Young Avengers

i'm getting to be 3-5 months behind on everything i read Xo. The only books i tend to read as soon as i get my monthly dcbs shipment are Walking Dead, Invincible, and events.

Is Conan good though? It's still 99cent sale-time from dark horse's store.

Dude, don't drop YA. I was quite hard on it during it's first arc, but since Prodigy joined, the writing has gotten so much better. I really look forward to it now.

I have dropped all my Avengers stuff except Arena though. Can't fuck with all that boring ass shit. I'm here for a nice, light snack.

Did a little catching on some books last night...dat Savage Wolverine Joe Mad and Batman #21-23 Kreygasm

I'm loving batman, the story is just awesome.

Messi

Is Fables good? I liked the telltale game trailer. Its a bit daunting at 18ish volumes.

How about East of West? Can someone give me a general idea of what it's about.

Is Fables good? I liked the telltale game trailer. Its a bit daunting at 18ish volumes.

East of West is amazing.

It's about the Horseman of Death in the future fighting against the tyrannical heads of the remaining nation/corporation states.

East of West is like a sci-fi western. Has some wonderful art design and direction from Dragotta and Frank Martin. There's a lot of really great pages these guys do, like when they break a single action down across several panels, making the action linger longer as you "read" across the page. Or they'll break out a 18 panel page that highlights the various highs and lows of a huge battle, it really puts an emphasis on the horrific grandeur of it all. For a heady sci-fi story about the end of the world and such, it has a surprisingly human touch that gets you invested in the characters lives. Unlike Hickman's Avengers books I found, everyone in East of West has a very distinct voice, Chamberlain in particular is great, it's a joy just to read every line of dialog he has.

It's just good, and you should read it

Messi

East of West is amazing.

It's about the Horseman of Death in the future fighting against the tyrannical heads of the remaining nation/corporation states.

East of West is like a sci-fi western. Has some wonderful art design and direction from Dragotta and Frank Martin. There's a lot of really great pages these guys do, like when they break a single action down across several panels, making the action linger longer as you "read" across the page. Or they'll break out a 18 panel page that highlights the various highs and lows of a huge battle, it really puts an emphasis on the horrific grandeur of it all. For a heady sci-fi story about the end of the world and such, it has a surprisingly human touch that gets you invested in the characters lives. Unlike Hickman's Avengers books I found, everyone in East of West has a very distinct voice, Chamberlain in particular is great, it's a joy just to read every line of dialog he has.

It's just good, and you should read it

Sounds good. I will pick up the trade next month.

You've received some great descriptions of East of West now so, yeah, go on and get that. The first 5 issues are to be collected in trade and released in.. September! Yes, September. I'm a bit jealous of people who get to gorge on all those issues in one sitting.

Heh, Chamberlain. Kentuky Fried Chamberlain.

Yeah, as much as I love East of West, I think that Lazarus is the Image book I most look forward to each month. But with all the promising new titles they are set to release, seems it's going to be increasingly difficult to choose a favorite.

One of my favorite comics ever up to a point. When you get there you'll know. It will feel like the end...so just stop reading.

Yeah, as much as I love East of West, I think that Lazarus is the Image book I most look forward to each month. But with all the promising new titles they are set to release, seems it's going to be increasingly difficult to choose a favorite.

Lazarus is a close 2nd for me. My wife has all of Saga and my plan is to start reading it after I finish Dark Knight Returns which I got the other day.

In other comic related stuff, my spot on the couch just didnt get the proper lighting to read comics and I was tired of moving just to read so I bought a very comfortable LED headlamp. Yup, bought a $60 headlamp just for comics.

Anybody else going to get the Arkham Orgins Collectors Edition? I just preordered it, it will by my PS3 swan song and the Joker statue looks sweet and the documentary bluray and art book make it worth it in my mind.

Messi

In other comic related stuff, my spot on the couch just didnt get the proper lighting to read comics and I was tired of moving just to read so I bought a very comfortable LED headlamp. Yup, bought a $60 headlamp just for comics.

Anybody else going to get the Arkham Orgins Collectors Edition? I just preordered it, it will by my PS3 swan song and the Joker statue looks sweet and the documentary bluray and art book make it worth it in my mind.

Got pictures of the statue? I'm considering it.

Dysun

List Wars, this time with dropped books

Batman and (Nightwing) 23
Green Lantern New Guardians 23
Justice League Dark 23
Superman Unchained 3

Avengers 18
Superior Spider-Man 16
X-Men 4

Dropped: Cable and X-Force, Indestructible Hulk, Nova, and Venom
Going nowhere fast, just not interested in seeing what's next

VeeP

Wow, Batman Beyond 2.0. If your a fan of the show, the comic book series, or just interested in the concept of Batman in the future pick this up. The digital versions of issue 1 and 2 are out, written by Kyle Higgins (also writes Nightwing I believe).

I realize GAF hates it, but Fables is great. There are clear peaks and valleys in the story, but the characters and story remain great years later.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I realize GAF hates it, but Fables is great. There are clear peaks and valleys in the story, but the characters and story remain great years later.

No hate from me, one of my favourite books. Consistently great with an amazing building story and some absolutely fantastic reveals. I stopped reading around issue 80 or so due to some other stuff going on in my life, but I'll probably go back to it. The first 75 issues are absolutely worth reading, at least.

Owzers

i finally dropped Fables after the end of the Snow White arc, which wasn't bad, but i didn't really look forward to reading it anymore. I'm in the camp that loved it through vol 12 but then the dips in quality got to me. Cubs in Toyland was a fairly good arc though recently. Fables, Invincible, and The Walking Dead are the books i've read the longest, still buying the other two, even despite The Walkign Dead suffering the same problem Fables did, i am still eager to read the next issue.

Messi

It seems to me that image books always seem to have long runs, fables, invincible, walking dead, chew. I hope Saga goes to those levels.
I'd be gutted if it got canned.

Bii

What kind of headlamp did you buy? <_<

And like many others have already said, Fables is fantastic through the first 75 issues (or 11 volumes). All issues/volumes thereafter does not compare but I still find it enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom