• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
New Avengers 24 cover showed Maximus, Namor, Black Swan, Philosopher Terrax, Thanos and two of his minions. I wonder if they are going to take over destroying the incursion earths since the heroes don't have the ability to do so.

There's a line in the penultimate Avengers World issue about
Thanos being the "greatest Avenger".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Moon Knight 6

Great issue, and a fitting end to the Ellis/Shalvey run. Was nice to see
Marlene and Frenchie
again. And
the new Black Spectre was an interesting character. He was a nobody, a pale imitation of the original (who wasn't even that effective to begin with), but he was also an interesting look at what happens when a cop in the Marvel Universe starts to wonder exactly what his purpose is when there are superheroes running around left and right
. Really just a great issue.

Unfortunately, the preview pages for #7 didn't inspire a lot of confidence. Smallwood's a good artist, but his interpretation of Mr. Knight just looks so flat and lifeless compared to Shalvey's. I'll give the new creative team a shot, and absolutely will stick with the book until the end, since Moon Knight is my favorite superhero, but right now I can't say I'm particularly enthused about it's future.

Bring back Moench, pls. One more run is all I ask. Even a mini!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
New Avengers 24 cover showed Maximus, Namor, Black Swan, Philosopher Terrax, Thanos and two of his minions. I wonder if they are going to take over destroying the incursion earths since the heroes don't have the ability to do so.

I'm hoping they just form their own team and we end up getting competing factions at each of the incursion points, Though I love a "not evil thanos" story as much as the next guy

fauxtrot

Banned
Just tried a quick sample at coloring and I've no idea what I'm doing. Someone needs to step up!

Y13Jlbu.jpg

Hey everybody!

I've been busy with work and haven't posted since Friday, so sorry for quoting something a few days old, but if you guys still need a colorist, let me know! I'd be all over that.

CBR's interview with Gail on Sensation Comics #1 has me curious as to what kind of story she's going to tell.

And maybe just a little worried.

Hope it's "fun" though, and not "fun."

ElNarez

Banned
gimme da mahnk

Also is any of you guys are into World War II and superheroes in the slightest, you should definitely be reading Uber even if you're allergic to Avatar art.

I love it, but it's always a huge fucking bummer because like, it's a completely realistic take on what would happen so the Nazis have the huge advantage of having been at the whole making super-powered Panzermensch for a while, so it's pretty much always Allied troops being fucking stomped on to death and getting torn in half and it's fucking killing me. I love this book to death but damn, at some point the battle's gonna turn right? right?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. So I got my IST order with Doom Patrol and Hellboy Library Edition vol 1.

I started Hellboy (unfortunately I only had about a half hour to check it out, so I didn't get too far) and two things:

1) It is by far the nicest hardcover I own. The binding and overall quality are even better than the Fear Agent Library Editions. It's such an incredibly nice product.

2) Mignola's art is even better than I remembered it. I stared at every splash page with his art on it for way too long.

I'm even more excited to read Hellboy now.

frye

Yeah, the book is mostly a bummer -- but it's kind of got to be right? I hopped on kinda late but my favourite thing about it is that it's almost always on the verge of being super offensive but is smart enough about most things that it isn't.

Cheska

Digital comic reading is certainly more convenient, and cheaper from the Marvel side of things. Picked up:

Black Widow #9
Punisher #9
Rocket Raccoon #2
Moon Knight #6
Legendary Star Lord #2
Figment #3

all at $2 each :D

Also picked up

Grayson #2
Rachel Rising #27
She-Hulk #7
Lazarus #10

Grayson #2 continues to be really good. Loved that ending with
Dick's conversation with Bruce about the park memory. So cute

Moon Knight #6 went out with a bang.
Literally!

and Rocket Raccoon #2 is just the epitome of a fun ass book. Loved it!

Can't wait to read more once I get home.

Right after that Transformers sale, Humble Bundle now has a BOOM comics bundle for the next two weeks! That Six Gun Gorilla book y'all like is there. I recommend paying above 15 bucks so you can get Bravest Warriors, Bee & Puppycat, and Lumberjanes. I'm also interested in Hit and Dead Letters, so i'll be grabbing this next week for sure.

kd-z

Guys I just watched X-Men: The Last Stand for the first time since it came out.

Everyone was wearing bootcut. It was a nightmare.

ReAxion

Right after that Transformers sale, Humble Bundle now has a BOOM comics bundle for the next two weeks! That Six Gun Gorilla book y'all like is there. I recommend paying above 15 bucks so you can get Bravest Warriors, Bee & Puppycat, and Lumberjanes. I'm also interested in Hit and Dead Letters, so i'll be grabbing this next week for sure.

already did the $15+ for those. :)

Shiiit-- another bundle? I might have to get this for six gun gorilla

And Bee and Puppycat is written by a fellow gaffer btw, definitely donate some to the creators for this one!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Aw yiss She Hulk was great again. Love the colours in that book, so good. Pulido haters be damned. A lot of great books this week actually, Moon Knight, Punisher, Black Widow, Marvel are killing it these days.

kd-z

Someone give me a tip when he writes something as good as the first six issues of Ultimates 1 or "How Much Can One Man Hate?" form Superman Adventures.
I'm still kinda curious about Starlight and might buy the trade. Looks pulpy.
1) It is by far the nicest hardcover I own. The binding and overall quality are even better than the Fear Agent Library Editions.
How is that even possible? o_O
You can't unwatch it. I'm sorry for your loss.
Well, it wasn't THAT bad. A lot of really stupid character assassinations and shit, Jean being omnipotent without the powers of a cosmic entity was stupid, a lot of things were stupid, but at no point did I actually feel like it was offensively bad.

And interesting detail I noticed was how unattractive most actors/characters seemed to me. I don't want to sound vain, but these days superhero flicks are full of superhot people, from Scarlett Johansson to Chris Hemsworth to Jennifer Lawrence. But in The Last Stand only Halle Berry stood out and I don't think there were any ass-shots of her, well, bottocks. I'll point out that I'm alone in the fact that Ellen page does nothing for me most of the time. The dudes weren't much better. Well, there's Hugh Jackman, obviously, but it's hard to get a man-crush on anybody when they are all wearing bootcuts :D

Edit: oh crap, almost forgot: EVERYONE GET THE BOOM! BUNDLE FOR SIX-GUN GORILLA. IT WILL MAKE YOUR LIVES BETTER.
pretty please

Bii

Buying the digital codes off eBay. People put them up right away. I literally bought all of those before 9 AM this morning. Redeem them on Marvel.com/redeem, and link your comixology account so it can be read on there. BAM!

Speaking of which, when I do my mini impressions of certain Marvel books, you guys prefer that I offer all the codes that I got that day or would you rather I give them out as soon as I read them (which is usually not the day or even week of the release of said comic)?

I see Cheska using money to purchase some books that I picked up myself and if I can help GAF that way, I wouldn't mind saving you guys a few bucks.

kd-z

But you CAN watch Days of Future Past which will undo all the horror!
Days of Future Past was quite good, but still not what I want from X-Men. There was something missing and right now I can't remember what it was. To be honest right now I think nothing short of a reboot could elevate a movie in this franchise above "very good" in my eyes. Definitely a long road to Avengers/Cap1/Cap2/IM1/IM3 tier.
Starlight is cool.
That's good to know, I like what I saw of the first issue! I digitally flicked through it when Image was giving away like a bazillion #1s for free.

I got my copies of the new Punisher, Moon Knight, Black Widow, and Superior Foes sitting on the passenger seat of my car, waiting to be read at home.

I'm not ready for MK to end.

Zombine

Banned
I was compelled to pick up Avengers 100th this week based on hype from last week. I think it was Ben who got me wanting to check it out. If it's good I'll be 2-3 on those 100th titles. Only one that was shite was X-Men, and I don't even feel that bad because I made VC share the pain with me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Speaking of which, when I do my mini impressions of certain Marvel books, you guys prefer that I offer all the codes that I got that day or would you rather I give them out as soon as I read them (which is usually not the day or even week of the release of said comic)?

I see Cheska using money to purchase some books that I picked up myself and if I can help GAF that way, I wouldn't mind saving you guys a few bucks.
I would be ok with booth ways, I still cant belive how generous you are with all these codes :D

But I am a big fan of your reviews, so If I had to choose, I would vote for the second option^^

Oh man. So I got my IST order with Doom Patrol and Hellboy Library Edition vol 1.

I started Hellboy (unfortunately I only had about a half hour to check it out, so I didn't get too far) and two things:

1) It is by far the nicest hardcover I own. The binding and overall quality are even better than the Fear Agent Library Editions. It's such an incredibly nice product.

2) Mignola's art is even better than I remembered it. I stared at every splash page with his art on it for way too long.

I'm even more excited to read Hellboy now.

Awww yea. You have no idea what you're beginning here man. And it just gets better and better. Story is fantastic in Seed Of Destruction and there's nothing actually bad about the scripting or dialogue at all, but when Mike takes over in Volume 2 it just gets that much better.

It saddens me when no one is talking about Invincible.

This issue was hilarious. Anissa
whispering "missed you" to Mark after raping him a few issues back. XD

kd-z

I'm not ready for MK to end.
I know how you feel guys, but at least Marvel is killing the series instead of giving it off to some crappy writer!
Awww yea. You have no idea what you're beginning here man. And it just gets better and better. Story is fantastic in Seed Of Destruction and there's nothing actually bad about the scripting or dialogue at all, but when Mike takes over in Volume 2 it just gets that much better.
I know I'm probably repeating myself, but the epilogue to Wake the Devil is just incredible.

From the opening line: "
Behold, the great Rasputin, as in defeat he comes to seat a while with his soul
" which gives me chills I knew it was a really special piece of story, but then Mignola
completely changed the way I saw Rasputin, from a maniac and twisty-mustachio bad guy to a really interesting and complex villain.
All in the space of, what, 6 pages?

Cheska

I know that I personally am not typically a patient person so I'll buy everything the day of, so I usually have copies of the codes you're so generously giving away ;)

From the opening line: "
Behold, the great Rasputin, as in defeat he comes to seat a while with his soul
" which gives me cheels I knew it was a really special piece of story, but then Mignola
completely changed the way I saw Rasputin, from a maniac and twisty-mustachio bad guy to a really interesting and complex villain.
All in the space of, what, 6 pages?

So true man, so true. Funnily enough, what always comes to mind when you talk of epilogues in Hellboy, is how he does the exact same thing with
The Baba Yaga
. It's how little Mignola has to actually say with his characters but be so poignant. It's an incredible skill. And as you mentioned, he has a way of wording things to that just sends shivers up your backbones. I still get goosebumps during rereads for so many events, the way they play out and the things the characters say, it never lessens over time. So good.

I'm reading this interview with Wood:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53358

Q: Khonshu sends Moon Knight out to protect the night travelers of New York, and recently two other street level heroes who did that, the Punisher and Daredevil, moved out to the West Coast. In terms of street level heroes now in New York, it feels like the primary ones are Spider-Man and Moon Knight. What's it like writing the character in that kind of environment? What types of crime are you interested in having Moon Knight investigate and foil? Will you continue primarily with weird crimes like we've been seeing or will it be more grounded like organized crime and serial killers?

A: Well, I've said in other interviews that Warren writes the weird like no one else can, and even if I was as good a writer as he is, I wouldn't be trying to mimic that. But at the same time we won't be dealing with totally normal bad guys either.

If you look at the few issues that have come out, the villains or adversaries are heightened versions of otherwise normal people -- a sniper, a street gang, a disillusioned soldier, etc. We're keeping with that theme, with bad guys that fit into the grounded setting of the book but are elevated, altered, heightened in some way to be larger than life like that. But if you're talking about "Moon Knight" #4, the dreamscape stuff? That is just so Warren that anyone trying to write like that would just come off as a lame copy. I'll write to my strengths, using the city, military themes, media themes, socially-conscious themes, and so on. But this will not feel divergent or jarring. No one involved is looking to reinvent a book that is this good already.

759.gif

ElNarez

Banned
Ales Kot does what Brian Wood says he's been doing all this time, except he's not a fucking sexual predator so he's already better as a human.

And as a writer, he beats the shit out of him.

MAN why didn't they give him Moon Knight.

Fuck man, fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom