• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my strengths, like being socially conscious, remember that time i got shouted the fuck off the internet.

I decided to find the original accusations, and wow.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124930-tess-fowler-brian-wood-is-a-dick.html

I'm going to say it. And fuck anyone who doesn't like it. Brian Wood is a DICK. And he's preyed on women for too long.

There. I said it. Now you don't have to hide anymore, ladies. I stopped being polite. Fuck that guy. And fuck any other pro who thinks...
that he has a right to sexual favors because he writes funny books. You are of more value than that. And any industry that would...
blacklist you for calling out a lying sack of misogynistic pig offal (or his ilk) isn't worth a good god DAMN.
Too many stories in my inbox about ONE man. This has to STOP.
If you're an editor/publisher and you know you have a predator in your stable of talent, REIN. HIM. IN. Or else you're to blame too.
NO ONE should have so much clout that they can do this countless times and get away with it. Least of all in comics. FUCK YOU, WOOD.
Why am I always the one beating the drum? Because no one else will do it. You come to me, and I'll defend you. Always.
It's up to u to talk to ur editors and ur fellow pros. It's up to u to set up policies for the safety of those around u. It's a workplace.
If you want women to feel safe in comics, start making some top tier changes to prove it. That's STEP ONE.
Either that or they follow me into the nether woods of the internet and u end up stuck with all the BW perverts and no sales.
This is COMICS. Aren't you rebels and artists and naysayers? Or are you pervs drunk on ur taste of "fame?"
CLEAN IT UP, gentlemen. I'm so not kidding right now.
I LOVE comics; I know you do 2. I understand that sometimes douchebags make the stuff we love.But those DBs don't have a right 2 harm people

Marvel, please give Moon Knight to Remender.

Ales Kot does what Brian Wood says he's been doing all this time, except he's not a fucking sexual predator so he's already better as a human.

And as a writer, he beats the shit out of him.

MAN why didn't they give him Moon Knight.

Fuck man, fuck.

Both great choices. I've read some of DMZ... didn't find it particularly interesting.

You need someone who can walk hand-in-hand with madness to write Moon Knight.

headshot95

Neo Member
Did something happen with the shipping of Zero #9? My shop didn't have when it came out and they still don't have it after placing a special order for me. Of course nobody working there has any ideas but was there a shortage or something?

ReAxion

Ales Kot does what Brian Wood says he's been doing all this time, except he's not a fucking sexual predator so he's already better as a human.

And as a writer, he beats the shit out of him.

MAN why didn't they give him Moon Knight.

Fuck man, fuck.

some dreams are too good for this world.

What's gonna be better, Brian Wood's Hawkeye after Fraction leaves or Brian Wood's Moon Knight

Laughing at how mad this made me. Haha.

Comics-Crux-Brian-Wood-Interview-470x353.jpeg

It might be offensive... but he does kinda look like the guy to sleazily hit on women and then scream at them when they turn him down.

Oh, you know what I mean. There's "fun" as in "Wonder Woman goes to Gotham and does things her way, and handles Batman's rogues in creative and unfamiliar and unexpected ways, what fun"... and then there's "fun" as in "Wonder Woman goes to Gotham and does things her way, and cleans up Gotham in one night and breaks Joker's neck and does all the things Batman can't/won't because he's lame, 'you're welcome' mic drop 'peace out b*tch,' what fun." Both of those are being playful, but one goes too far and is being mean about it; and I don't want to believe Gail would do that, but then I remember all the things she's written before and the time Diana put an axe through regressed mustache-twirling Ares's skull because she was sick of his sh*t, and I'm less sure.

Cheska

I wonder if I started a comics thread where the point was just discussion about new releases would get locked. Probably.

I don't know if that would be necessary though. There's plenty of discussion of the new releases in here, especially on Wed/Thurs.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I wonder if I started a comics thread where the point was just discussion about new releases would get locked. Probably.

This is the thread for talking about new releases, only it seems to be filled with white knighting tumblr virgins at the mo.

Today I read:

Moon Knight - MK finally gets a story but the doesn't give the artist much to do. The see saw tipped too far the other way.

New Avengers - nicely intense throw down after last issue. Namor is cold as ice, fantastic. Cannot wait to see where this eventually goes.

Secret Avengers - was this a last week book? I'm behind. Ok, but trying a bit too hard for the yucks, it feels like its one step away from giving Hawkeye a spinning bowtie. Also, I dig the thick line cartoony stuff, but this art is both a bit too sparse and a bit too loose for my liking. Still not terrible though.

Batman Eternal - pretty good. Andy Clarke is like 10% away from being a truly amazing artist but I don't like his capes and he uses a few too many lines but it's sure interesting to look at. Suffers from a similar stiff feeling as Fabok though I think, doesn't feel very fluid. I want Bertram back dammit!

My stack of bytes is pretty imposing this week. THREE fucking Doomed chapters? Are you fucking kidding me DC?

y'all don't need to shame how he looks too, that's low

inb4 "being a sexual predator disguised as a feminist" is low in which case i got nothin
hey now the discussion about old releases is pretty good too
You should know by now all Gillen fanboy/girls have tumblr. That's like 90% of his audience, people who unironically use "feels"

look i may be all those things but i would never use "feels" unironically

don't search my post history though

I don't know if that would be necessary though. There's plenty of discussion of the new releases in here, especially on Wed/Thurs.

I'm not saying this purely as a response to the Wood stuff but that's definitely a component. But then you also have what seems like the hourly new reader coming in and asking for reccommendations (which is great and I love that those dudes get a ton of replies from regulars but it makes reading the thread a chore, I'd love a Comics for Newbies thread to stop that stuff). Then you have this doubling as the industry news thread and that clogs up conversation of books as well. When I was posting on Newsarama (like a decade ago now, jeez) there was the weekly comics thread that was solely talk of that week's books, a lot of great in-depth discussion on the week to week arcs that were currently being published. Here a new Avengers'll come out and it'll be pages between one guy talking about it and another bringing up the same book because of all the other chatter. Comics-GAF has outgrown only needing one thread a month is what I'm saying.

I'm not saying this purely as a response to the Wood stuff but that's definitely a component. But then you also have what seems like the hourly new reader coming in and asking for reccommendations (which is great and I love that those dudes get a ton of replies from regulars but it makes reading the thread a chore, I'd love a Comics for Newbies thread to stop that stuff).

We should probably put a Newbie Comix section in the OP

ElNarez

Banned
This is the thread for talking about new releases, only it seems to be filled with white knighting tumblr virgins at the mo.

You're saying "white knight" as if somehow that wasn't a good thing, "tumblr" as if somehow that was uncommon, and "virgins" as if this fucking mattered. Good job you, you sure told them.

FUNNYBOOKS, TO DELAY THE INEVITABLE COMICGAF CIVIL WAR: Does anyone have any idea what's coming in New Avengers? Like, holy fuck, everything is up in the air and fucked up and anything could happen.

I read Legendary Starlord #2. I don't think it's doing anything for me. Is their a good jumping on point to the Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I want Morrison on Moon Knight. Preferably a long and epic run.

That would be so great. He could go totally nuts with that and it would mesh perfectly with the character. And there's plenty of history for him to dig up with Moon Knight too. Oh man... I want that.

WOW that Humble Bundle from BOOM! is a really great deal...

Yeah, that's a super good deal. If I wasn't strictly a physical reader, I'd be all over that. As it is, I'm planning to pick up or already have picked up the trades for a handful of those comics in the bundle.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, I've been thinking about it, and Rick Remender is the writer Scott Snyder wishes he was. Remender masterfully plots long, 30-issue overarching plots that intricately develop, explode, coalesce, and then end beautifully. Dude is a fucking Ukrainian gymnast, sticking the the landing gracefully, powerfully, and with a fucking smile and a wink.

Snyder is just a super competent writer whose passion and anxiety create incredible beginnings for his stories, and then there are great developments along the way, and powerful moments, but then he loses the thread and his endings are like a fat dude canon-balling into the shallow end--it's a mess. Dude cannot stick the landing.*

*Except for Black Mirror.

You're saying "white knight" as if somehow that wasn't a good thing, "tumblr" as if somehow that was uncommon, and "virgins" as if this fucking mattered. Good job you, you sure told them.

FUNNYBOOKS, TO DELAY THE INEVITABLE COMICGAF CIVIL WAR: Does anyone have any idea what's coming in New Avengers? Like, holy fuck, everything is up in the air and fucked up and anything could happen.

I'm enjoying it but at the same time I just want Time Runs Out to hurry up and get here already. They've already done the worst. Definitely do not need yet another self-enclosed arc about dealing with an incursion.

Yo, I've been thinking about it, and Rick Remender is the writer Scott Snyder wishes he was. Remender masterfully plots long, 30-issue overarching plots that intricately develop, explode, coalesce, and then end beautifully. Dude is a fucking Ukrainian gymnast, sticking the the landing gracefully, powerfully, and with a fucking smile and a wink.

Snyder is just a super competent writer whose passion and anxiety create incredible beginnings for his stories, and then there are great developments along the way, and powerful moments, but then he loses the thread and his endings are like a fat dude canon-balling into the shallow end--it's a mess. Dude cannot stick the landing.*

*Except for Black Mirror.

c7BSV2h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom