• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Loved that whole sequence and the art on the pages of that scene were perfect.

I typically don't care for the concept of
the Anti-Life Equation as a physical thing or entity (Morrison turning into an actual mathematical proof in Seven Soldiers is my favorite take on it)
, but they made it work here.

Another month, another post by me telling you all Infinity Man and the Forever People is a damn good comic. It has something for everyone! Even you Messi, Beautiful Dreamer is right up your ally. I jumped into the series without much knowledge and been having a great time with it. Were only 3 issues in and only 2.99 a pop, only 9 bucks to catch up to a great comic.

Seriously, give this book a try people, DO IT!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
finally, the Millar/McCarthy dream team we've all wanted

That McCarthy art looks amazing.
Do you know if "The Best of Milligan & McCarthy" is worth picking up? Is it a collection of full, completed stories or just a collection of snippets from various stories? I can't seem to figure out what the actual contents of the book are.

Only read Batman and Robin and Magneto so far today and both were great, there hasn't been one bad issue of Magneto yet, love it!

image.php

Do you feel you may be biased sir? ;)

frye

That McCarthy art looks amazing.
Do you know if "The Best of Milligan & McCarthy" is worth picking up? Is it a collection of full, completed stories or just a collection of snippets from various stories? I can't seem to figure out what the actual contents of the book are.

There are some omissions and while that's regrettable, it's complete enough to recommend wholeheartedly. Cheap af too

Kipp

There are some omissions and while that's regrettable, it's complete enough to recommend wholeheartedly. Cheap af too

But are the stories that are in the book complete stories (or at least completed arcs)? Or will I just be essentially reading a book of excerpts?

frye

Oh, no. It's got all of Paradax!, Rogan Gosh, Skin etc.

e: It's missing some Sooner or Later and I think some Freakwave

Busaiku

Man, I got so confused in Multiversity. I liked the rabbit guy, I guess.
Teen Titans was also pretty confusing. Maybe I just don't remember what happened in the 1st issue, but it seemed like all these groups/organizations just popped out of nowhere. Yeah, I'll probably need to reread.

Kipp

Cool, thanks! I'll definitely try to pick that up sometime soon.
I really need to read more Milligan (loved X-Statix) and McCarthy's art looks fantastic.

e: It's missing some Sooner or Later and I think some Freakwave

the last couple of chapters of Freakwave! are missing for whatever reason

still you get all the Strange Days anthology, and thats important

fauxtrot

Banned
And he should do Monologs. Like Thanos in the beginning of the Marvel: The End Issues.

Don't you worry, issue #3 opens with a furious Doom ranting about requesting maroon curtains to match his throne's upholstery and when they show up, they're clearly fucking BURGUNDY.

Don't you worry, issue #3 opens with a furious Doom ranting about requesting maroon curtains to match his throne's upholstery and when they show up, they're clearly fucking BURGUNDY.

lmao, you know a Doom run written by Nick Spencer would be amazing, have him to do it like his superior foes of spider-man.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of IST orders, does anyone have any info on DC's "Wednesday Comics" hardcover? I've never heard anything about this, but that lineup of writers/artists has me very intrigued.

edit - Maybe I should have clearly read the first sentence at the IST page... it's from 2009. I guess this is just a reprint? It caught my eye because it was in their top 10 list of best sellers.

Another month, another post by me telling you all Infinity Man and the Forever People is a damn good comic. It has something for everyone! Even you Messi, Beautiful Dreamer is right up your ally. I jumped into the series without much knowledge and been having a great time with it. Were only 3 issues in and only 2.99 a pop, only 9 bucks to catch up to a great comic.
I did exactly that, seeing Tim and you pimp that book.
The last time I picked a book Tim was pimping was Zero a few months ago and that was great.

That will replace Green Arrow on my DC list.

Speaking of IST orders, does anyone have any info on DC's "Wednesday Comics" hardcover? I've never heard anything about this, but that lineup of writers/artists has me very intrigued.

edit - Maybe I should have clearly read the first sentence at the IST page... it's from 2009. I guess this is just a reprint? It caught my eye because it was in their top 10 list of best sellers.

It's on the top ten because of the recent 65% off sale DC had on IST last month.

It was like 18 bucks and a really great deal.

Boogiepop

Well, I just finished catching up on this thread after a week's vacation. I probably shouldn't have, but I was just the right degree of worn down, so it seemed like a good idea/I didn't feel like doing anything productive.

Anyway, some things: Ended up capping off my massive overspending with some Hellboy after all. I justified it by just grabbing all the Hellboy Library Editions and the first BPRD omnibus rather than literally everything.

Also, in a bit of a random kind of off topic thought: I've been reading the manga Ushio and Tora as the latest in my string of "hey I can actually read enough Japanese to import manga" readings, and its been more interesting than I was expecting. I mean, I'd seen the anime so I knew about what to expect, but the manga is way more well done in addition to not being super short. But what really caught me was the interesting way it acts as a mix of horror and action with a bit of comedy. And then I realized... Doesn't Hellboy kind of work like that too? (At least from what little I know that sounds right.). Just a bit of a funny coincidence that I'm going to be digging into both series at the same time, when I was just thinking of the feel of Ushio and Tora as something pretty unique.

frye

well you know I did. There was an 8 page Darrow fight scene nobody on the beach cared about,

a trippy McCarthy boy's adventure

and this hilarious bit near the end about a tiger chasing these egyptian beetles that stole his pants through the pyramids

Yeah, that Sabertooth Swordsman strip was my favourite thing in the book. There's a lot of Brandon Graham in his layouts which is a lot of fun to see.

Darrow is the best ever so anything he draws is worth the time -- the McCarthy strip was alright but not his best work which isn't too surprising

the rest of it tho -- flabby stuff. The Mack strip, especially. Leave the second person to Eddie Campbell, bruh

fauxtrot

Banned
Why does Multiversity #1 have to be $4.99 digitally? I don't want to have to buy it again just to read it before my Burnham variant shows up in the mail...

I just bought all three issues on Comixology... I hope that counts towards it's monthly numbers! I don't need any more floppies cluttering up my room. Oh, and it's only $7.97!

What career?

Dude drew fan fiction.

ron-simmons-damn-o.gif

Vyer

Man, local shop wanted $70 for the Morrison variant. Just couldn't do it, though I know the value would go up eventually.

Darn new baby due in a month, making me all responsible and shit. :p

Yeah, that Sabertooth Swordsman strip was my favourite thing in the book. There's a lot of Brandon Graham in his layouts which is a lot of fun to see.

Darrow is the best ever so anything he draws is worth the time -- the McCarthy strip was alright but not his best work which isn't too surprising

the rest of it tho -- flabby stuff. The Mack strip, especially. Leave the second person to Eddie Campbell, bruh

I didn't even read that Birdie tier filler inbetween those four names. David Mack shit was like "ey son I'm on How to be An Artist grind right now" coming to the plate lookin' straight
H37xX.png

negro pls

unrelated

IMG_07181.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Man, local shop wanted $70 for the Morrison variant. Just couldn't do it, though I know the value would go up eventually.

It would be irresponsible to not get the Burnham variant. That thing is absurd.

Kipp

the last couple of chapters of Freakwave! are missing for whatever reason

still you get all the Strange Days anthology, and thats important

Ah, weird. Either way, I'll definitely be picking it up sometime!

I think you've figured out our first Comics-GAF comic.
Somebody write this as a 5-ish page comic and give me that script to draw.

Congrats on the upcoming baby!

Seriously, give this book a try people, DO IT!
Went to pick up my Multiversity #1 blank variant and they just happen to have Infinity Man and the forever People#1, #2 & #3. Better be amazing ! Lol

Also a quick complaint .. I'm getting really tired of getting my brand new comics from my LCS damaged. Urgh. Time to switch to the bigger n better LCS.

fauxtrot

Banned
I think you've figured out our first Comics-GAF comic.
Somebody write this as a 5-ish page comic and give me that script to draw.

If no one else runs with this, I will try to write something up for you in between my struggles towards comics coloring superstardom.

LosDaddie

Banned
Omnibus bros, talk me off the ledge here. There's an Infinite Crisis omni that I can get for $160. That's $10 over the cover price, but the book is OOP and usually goes for over $300 on eBay.

This is my white whale. I've been hunting for a copy at a "reasonable" price for a long time now. Ugh....

Messi

Omnibus bros, talk me off the ledge here. There's an Infinite Crisis omni that I can get for $160. That's $10 over the cover price, but the book is OOP and usually goes for over $300 on eBay.

This is my white whale. I've been hunting for a copy at a "reasonable" price for a long time now. Ugh....

Do it, you may never get this chance again.

The Messi Method™

fauxtrot

Banned

giphy.gif

frye

DC Spring 2015 solicits

possible things of note:

Absolute Kevin Smith Green Lantern/Transmet/Y ("we'll print anything in absolute these days!")
Deluxe editions of Mad Love, Batman: Gothic, Dial H, the Filth (!!), Sandman Overture (lol)
b/w version of Dark Knight Returns (dunno how much I'd care for something like that tbh, Varley brings so much to the book)
New edition of Cataclysm
Third JSA omni (wow)
a Neal Adams omnibus that apparently has both volumes of Odyssey
Dixon Nightwing reprints
Orion by Walter Simonson Omnibus
Millar/Morrison Swamp Thing (wow)
Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus

no Doom Patrol yet, but I believe in DC/Vertigo and their love of reprinting their books in every format imaginable.

I mean you're basically stealing it so you might as well go through with it at this point.

Messi

DC Spring 2015 solicits

possible things of note:

Absolute Kevin Smith Green Lantern/Transmet/Y ("we'll print anything in absolute these days!")
Deluxe editions of Mad Love, Batman: Gothic, Dial H, the Filth (!!), Sandman Overture (lol)
b/w version of Dark Knight Returns (dunno how much I'd care for something like that tbh, Varley brings so much to the book)
New edition of Cataclysm
Third JSA omni (wow)
Dixon Nightwing reprints

no Doom Patrol yet, but I believe in DC/Vertigo and their love of reprinting their books in every format imaginable.

I wonder what would be in a deluxe edition of Mad Love. I will probably buy it even if it's hardcover. Love that story.

DC Spring 2015 solicits

possible things of note:

New edition of Cataclysm
Third JSA omni (wow)
Dixon Nightwing reprints

Dang, that new Batgirl run is gonna get collected fast. looking forward to:

-Batman: New Adventures, with post-Crisis Jason Todd
-Deadshot by Christos Gage(!) (they're really nearly going all in with the Squad stuff, barring, y'know, the actual good stuff)
-Perez WW
-continued Secret Six collections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom