• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetman

Who is doing the interiors on Multiversity? It's supposed to be Ivan Reis, but the previews I've seen don't look like it.

Multiversity is out today but I lost two of my favorite Marvel ongoings
2ZqTdzF.jpg

Hagi

I know you guys will all be about Multiversity today but did anyone pick up The Fade Out? Really looking forward to Brubaker and Phillips new joint.

Also the with the talk of possible cancellation of Secret Avengers on the horizon i thought this weeks summary for the issue was pretty funny.

Secret Avengers (2014-) #7
Deadpool Deadpool Deadpool Deadpool Deadpool! We heard that Deadpool raises sales so we're doing this early on. Just kidding. All about the art. The noose tightens! Secret avengers are being hunted! Maria Hill, investigating!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know you guys will all be about Multiversity today but did anyone pick up The Fade Out? Really looking forward to Brubaker and Phillips new joint.

Also the with the talk of possible cancellation of Secret Avengers on the horizon i thought this weeks summary for the issue was pretty funny.

Hold the fuck up. Where was this talk?

LProtag

I've gotten through the first bit of Annihilation and I'm coming up on Conquest now.

Really enjoying it so far. Excited to start getting into the GotG stuff.

Hagi

Anyone have any good links for how much money is used to launch an ongoing? would be interesting to see how much funny books cost to create. I've never really delved into the business side of the industry.

FoneBone

moment of the forever

fAKpvsW.jpg

Also glad that, in spite of what the cover might suggest, Morrison didn't try to turn Captain Carrot "dark".

Aside from Multiversity's absolute greatness, I just got around to reading the new Ms. Marvel issue and I really, really liked this book too. The fact this issue had my favorite Wolverine in ages helped a lot but beyond that, I think the series itself is pretty special as I can't think of a book that has the same tone.

Yeah, this is me gushing over the fact that on the whole and despite appearances, this industry feels way more creative than it was 10 years ago, let alone 20. And I'm just talking super heroes here.

Couldn't possibly agree more. Comics are the raddest.

tim1138

I've already read Multiversity twice today, it feels good to have a new Grant Morrison comic to read. Even after just one issue you can already tell this is his magnum opus and ultimate love letter to super hero comics. Everyone who posts here should be reading this book. And man, what I wouldn't give for a Justice League of Earth-23 monthly title.

Messi

The Wicked + The Divine #3 - Amazing, yet again!

I love your avatar

I've already read Multiversity twice today, it feels good to have a new Grant Morrison comic to read. Even after just one issue you can already tell this is his magnum opus and ultimate love letter to super hero comics. Everyone who posts here should be reading this book. And man, what I wouldn't give for a Justice League of Earth-23 monthly title.

I don't think it's for me, I flicked through it at the store and I didn't find the art visually appealing. Also i am worried i wont understand it as it is Grant Morrison.

Owzers

Sigh.....maybe don't spoil the "moment of forever" the day the book is released? Your moment of forever will be my " this is the thing gaf posted two days before i read the book"

You guys disappoint me

I swear one of these panels mirrored the awesomeness of Superman shouting "Warn everyone, like Paul Revere!" while he's trying to plug the hole in forever or some shit.

Sigh.....maybe don't spoil the "moment of forever" the day the book is released? Your moment of forever will be my " this is the thing gaf posted two days before i read the book"

You guys disappoint me

It'd be nice if they'd either edit it to a link to the image or have a mod remove it. Totally agree with you.

I don't know what happened. I guess it started when I reread Arkham Asylum and loved it. Then I read almost all of Final Crisis in 2 days and read Action Comics #9. Grant Morrison is clicking with me finally. It's fun to read. I just read Multiversity and fucking loved it. I tried my hardest over the last few weeks todo my homework and it payed off because that was awesome. It played out like one big motion picture in my head and that's when you know you are immersed into a comic. When your brain starts putting you into the panels. You almost feel like your in the pages. That's is what was accomplished and it was a blast.

I don't know what happened. I guess it started when I reread Arkham Asylum and loved it. Then I read almost all of Final Crisis in 2 days and read Action Comics #9. Grant Morrison is clicking with me finally. It's fun to read. I just read Multiversity and fucking loved it. I tried my hardest over the last few weeks todo my homework and it payed off because that was awesome. It played out like one big motion picture in my head and that's when you know you are immersed into a comic. When your brain starts putting you into the panels. You almost feel like your in the pages. That's is what was accomplished and it was a blast.
Great news!

I think there's a huge misunderstanding about Morrison's work where people who aren't into it get the impression it's super high brow, pedantic or too intellectual. Morrison fans probably have contributed to it but when you approach his stuff simply, you realize it's mostly a guy having fun and in love with a medium.

He doesn't write about ridiculous stuff like cowboys hunting giant spiders, baby sun eaters, interdimensional vampires, dark gods, anti-life equations, cosmic graveyards or archetypical word machines because he likes the smell of his own farts but because these are fun ideas he likes to play with and that put the Super back in super heroes.

I genuinely believe he's the closest thing we have to Kirby and the least cynical of comic writers.

dan2026

Morrison is probably the best thing to happen to modern comics.

He is a fountain of fun creativity. And his joy for the mediun echoes out of every page of hus work.

frye

I genuinely believe he's the closest thing we have to Kirby and the least cynical of comic writers.

This probably is gonna sound really pedantic but while I love Morrison, Morrison isn't Kirby. Morrison doesn't draw his own comics.

also the end of Batman Inc was cynical as all hell and it was dope

BluWacky

The Wicked + The Divine #3 - Amazing, yet again!

Aaaargh.

So tempted. Love Kieron Gillen. Wasn't a huge fan of Phonogram (I knew some, but not enough of, the Britpop references to get through the dialogue written like no-one on Earth speaks), though. Good/better than that?

(still need to buy Three, actually. I could pretend it's for work, I do teach a bit about the helots in our Sparta module...)

This probably is gonna sound really pedantic but while I love Morrison, Morrison isn't Kirby. Morrison doesn't draw his own comics.

also the end of Batman Inc was cynical as all hell and it was dope
My comment was mostly about the creative drive and imagination. Obviously, Kirby happened to be an awesome artist on top of that.

Aaaargh.

So tempted. Love Kieron Gillen. Wasn't a huge fan of Phonogram (I knew some, but not enough of, the Britpop references to get through the dialogue written like no-one on Earth speaks), though. Good/better than that?

(still need to buy Three, actually. I could pretend it's for work, I do teach a bit about the helots in our Sparta module...)

I went into Wicked plus Divine without having read anything else that they've done and I've enjoyed it and this is coming from your straight DC capes reader, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom