• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't see how Marvel gets out of this whole thing without a complete Reboot of the entire MU crisis style.

Main characters can't come back from
wiping out billions maybe trillions of innocent people

Hey
in the future Thanos is considered the greatest Avenger. I respect Hickman's crazy enough to see how far down the rabbit hole goes. Especially considering this book is going to lead to a major event

Big Batman Eternal spoiler.

So we just met the
father of Catwoman! Rex Calabrese, Kingpin of Gotham crime for 11 years. They call him, The Lion. We also got The Spoiler for the 1st time!
What a fantastic issue!

Is that who that was.. So who was the chick on the last page?

On the morality of New Avengers:

It's not super obvious to me one way or the other.
In a context where the choices are:
- don't do anything and let 2 universes disappear, along trillions.
- don't do anything and let other guys destroy your earth and the billions of people you were supposed to protect.
- fight off the other guys, destroy their earth and kill billions.

There's no right choice and not doing anything is making the first or second choice. Whatever they do, they will make a choice.

The bigger issue to me is that they put themselves in a position to choose in the first place. From the moment the illuminati put themselves above everyone else, they accepted to shoulder that burden, they stopped being heroes and became kings, which means their ethics shifted from those of a super hero whose duty is to save everyone and never kill anyone to those of a king whose duty is to do whatever it takes to protect his subjects.

If we believe the choice Namor made is unethical then the root issue here isn't they had to make a choice between the first 3 propositions, but that they chose to be kings.

The short of it is that I don't believe Namor's choice in issue 21 was immoral, I believe the immoral choice happened in issue 1, when they reformed the illuminati. Everything else is a result of that choice and they were lost as heroes from that very moment.

If anything, T'challa is a whiny motherfucker for complaining Namor stole a choice from them when it's their job as kings to do exactly that.

I'm curious to see how the other Avengers will solve that.

tim1138

Tomasi nailed the scene
between Bruce and Dick. Every little quirk that you expect out of Grayson was there. Dick has accepted his role also because he wasn't all emo after they left which I'm so glad they didn't go that route.
That last panel was epic. Stupid gimmick month! I might skip a lot of DC books in September and use that money towards the cons.

The conversation with Bruce and Lex was nicely done, and I got a kick out of Lex calling him "Wayne" during that scene.

The only gimmick month books I'm getting are Booster Gold and Forever People, the rest of them do nothing for me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So how are you guys feeling about Multiversity (he asks, having skipped the last ten pages)? I thought it was pretty good, about what I was expecting which itself is a bit disappointing because I wanted something unexpected. Morrison continuing to riff on the themes he introduced in Final Crisis, but spending half the issue buggering about in fauxMarvel was a bit of a wasted opportunity I think and it was a bit unclear what was going on with Thunderer - so in the 52 there are two similar Marvel analogues? Seems a bit of a waste of a universe to me.

Loved Captain Carrot and the multiverse League and I always enjoy the Ultima Thule (love that it's condensed music and looks like the Yellow Submarine, so neat). In terms of the team I thought they were not quite as amazing as the League of Supermen from Final Crisis but you can't have everything. Really dig how exclamatory and hyperbolic it was though, pure Morrison-on-11 volume to it.

He's really going to have to pull something special out of the bag with his haunted comic though - I like the "who's voice is this?" idea, very clever, and he's explored the idea of 2d time travel a lot in other works like the Filth but it would be cool to see if he can pull off something really unique within his oeuvre too.

Sometimes I feel that Morrison is a bit like the Eels (band). A great, unique style, but as his career progresses he's really hooked on the same chords and rhythms, leaving astute readers with a mild sense of deja vue.

Zeus Molecules

I need a link please

I forgot the issue but it's from a recent Avengers world
when sunspot and cannonball go to the future they insult Thanos name and a bar full of angry aliens inform them that Thanos is a a hero around the cosmos and is considered the greatest avenger.

Zeus Molecules

On the morality of New Avengers:

It's not super obvious to me one way or the other.
In a context where the choices are:
- don't do anything and let 2 universes disappear, along trillions.
- don't do anything and let other guys destroy your earth and the billions of people you were supposed to protect.
- fight off the other guys, destroy their earth and kill billions.

There's no right choice and not doing anything is making the first or second choice. Whatever they do, they will make a choice.

The bigger issue to me is that they put themselves in a position to choose in the first place. From the moment the illuminati put themselves above everyone else, they accepted to shoulder that burden, they stopped being heroes and became kings, which means their ethics shifted from those of a super hero whose duty is to save everyone and never kill anyone to those of a king whose duty is to do whatever it takes to protect his subjects.

If we believe the choice Namor made is unethical then the root issue here isn't they had to make a choice between the first 3 propositions, but that they chose to be kings.

The short of it is that I don't believe Namor's choice in issue 21 was immoral, I believe the immoral choice happened in issue 1, when they reformed the illuminati. Everything else is a result of that choice and they were lost as heroes from that very moment.

If anything, T'challa is a whiny motherfucker for complaining Namor stole a choice from them when it's their job as kings to do exactly that.

I'm curious to see how the other Avengers will solve that.

Yeah Hickman was basically saying this
through T'chaka who kept telling T'challa mercy for a king is a tragedy

Sorry for 2 different post but I am using my phone to post.

Lombaszko

Sometimes I feel that Morrison is a bit like the Eels (band). A great, unique style, but as his career progresses he's really hooked on the same chords and rhythms, leaving astute readers with a mild sense of deja vue.

I can see that. He's a comic historian and every superhero series he writes is like a new thesis, not entirely his own work but he gives you his perspective on it. Characters like the Club of Heroes, or the scientist who Morrison turned into Dr. Hurt are all informed by the past. Knowing there is previous history in a lot of what he's writing gives his stories weight.

Going back after reading Multiversity, as I was flipping through the Superman Beyond Final Crisis issues, there are a few pages where it's flashing to a bunch of different Earths. If you look at these, it's pretty much a preview of where Multiversity is going. I wonder how much of this he's been planning since then or if it just fits with the direction he wants to take?

Question about the end of Multiversity:
Is Nix Uotan becoming Mandrakk, or some other kind of dark monitor?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can see that. He's a comic historian and every superhero series he writes is like a new thesis, not entirely his own work but he gives you his perspective on it. Characters like the Club of Heroes, or the scientist who Morrison turned into Dr. Hurt are all informed by the past. Knowing there is previous history in a lot of what he's writing gives his stories weight.

Going back after reading Multiversity, as I was flipping through the Superman Beyond Final Crisis issues, there are a few pages where it's flashing to a bunch of different Earths. If you look at these, it's pretty much a preview of where Multiversity is going. I wonder how much of this he's been planning since then or if it just fits with the direction he wants to take?

IIRC Multiversity was supposed to come out very shortly after FC but got pushed back for all sorts of reasons. It's definitely been in his head since 52, that much is obvious.

And yeah I get your point about history (one of the reasons I love his work, and one of the reasons the nu52 upsets me dearly), but he's definitely starting to repeat himself a bit. Hopefully it was just for the benefit of the furrowbrow'd normies to catch them up (lol good luck!) and he'll start exploring new ideas shortly.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So how are you guys feeling about Multiversity (he asks, having skipped the last ten pages)? I thought it was pretty good, about what I was expecting which itself is a bit disappointing because I wanted something unexpected. Morrison continuing to riff on the themes he introduced in Final Crisis, but spending half the issue buggering about in fauxMarvel was a bit of a wasted opportunity I think and it was a bit unclear what was going on with Thunderer - so in the 52 there are two similar Marvel analogues? Seems a bit of a waste of a universe to me.

Loved Captain Carrot and the multiverse League and I always enjoy the Ultima Thule (love that it's condensed music and looks like the Yellow Submarine, so neat). In terms of the team I thought they were not quite as amazing as the League of Supermen from Final Crisis but you can't have everything. Really dig how exclamatory and hyperbolic it was though, pure Morrison-on-11 volume to it.

He's really going to have to pull something special out of the bag with his haunted comic though - I like the "who's voice is this?" idea, very clever, and he's explored the idea of 2d time travel a lot in other works like the Filth but it would be cool to see if he can pull off something really unique within his oeuvre too.

I pretty much totally agree with all of this. I loved it, but all of it did seem very familiar.
But yeah, if he pulls off the "haunted comic" idea, that could be really cool. I thought that was the best part of the book since it's such a unique and crazy idea.

Your Eels analogy was pretty spot on. Haha

CryptiK

So in Multiversity Earth-8 is
DC's Marvel?

I spotted;
Captain America(Someone like him was at the start as well)
Black Widow
Hulk
Spiderman(it was the woman)
Captain Universe
The Thing
Mr. Fantastic
Human Torch
Hawkeye
Dr. Doom
Iron-man
and a few others

I wanna see a Comic based on Earth-8(New52) for the lols then I want it the other way around.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I agree--we must find out why Thunderer's clothing exploded in that one scene.

tim1138

Re: your spoiler

I read it as Nix being corrupted by the Gentry. I don't think he is specifically becoming Mandrakk but definitely something similar

Zombine

Banned
I think Morrison has only had one failure in his life, and it's what happened to Arkham Asylum. A book that could have been incredible is an unreadable mess. If someone here appreciated it, please tell me why I should approach it again. The hand written dialogue, while gorgeous, make the story a hazy mess.

Maybe that's the idea? I'm not sure. But I wish it was better than it actually is.

Lombaszko

Re: your spoiler

I read it as Nix being corrupted by the Gentry. I don't think he is specifically becoming Mandrakk but definitely something similar

Thanks, that makes sense.

If someone here appreciated it, please tell me why I should approach it again.
I think Arkham Asylum is a great companion piece to Morrison's Joker prose story from his Batman run. Specifically Batman and Joker's relationship and transformations, both getting darker and grittier in the years leading up to and following this book. It lays the groundwork for a lot of themes in Batman and Son and R.I.P. like examining the mind and motivations of Batman.
I was confused when reading it at at first but I try to think of it as a bunch of cool ideas about the Batman universe. I felt sympathy for Two-Face and got an understanding of his mental illness for the first time. It gives some answers as to why some of these villains would be in an Asylum and not executed or something. They are sick in the head, and this book gives their character's depth.

Messi

I thought Multiversity was shit

I didn't read it

I think Morrison has only had one failure in his life, and it's what happened to Arkham Asylum. A book that could have been incredible is an unreadable mess. If someone here appreciated it, please tell me why I should approach it again. The hand written dialogue, while gorgeous, make the story a hazy mess.

Maybe that's the idea? I'm not sure. But I wish it was better than it actually is.

I think Korupt read it recently and loved it.

8bit

Knows the Score

Isn't that the point? A hallucinatory trip through the Asylum.

I can understand it might be really quite jarring if you've never seen Dave McKean's art previous to this though. Admittedly I haven't read it in some years.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I ordered my copy of Multiversity online through ebay yesterday, turned up at my office this morning which I wasn't expecting, had a chance to read it through during lunch. I liked it, I do feel like I'll need to read Final Crisis though. I have a vague understanding of what's going on but I'm missing a lot of the subtle nuances I feel. Will be picking the rest up though, just need to catch up on the backstory in the meantime.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

It's pretty much the only Morrison book that I don't really like. Pretty, but not really that enjoyable as either a straight up story or as metaphor/allegory. I'd like to see a new version drawn by JHW3.

Sadist

Yeah, I don't see how this will stick or play out.
The only character resolutions I see are cop-outs:
- blame it all on the Atlantean.
- put everyone involved to pasture in some way and have them come back later, all sins absolved.
- reset things somehow or ignore the storyline.
- have them all become anti-heroes or villains.
Well, apparently Tony gets all "Superior" in the new Iron Man, Reed is going through some serious shit with the FF, Beast seems to question himself all the time...

With the whole Axis event coming up, Thor becoming unworthy and other heroes facing some world destroying threat, I'd say the heroes get involved in some darker stuff.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

The book is meant to be warped, dreamy, and uncomfortable. It's what Batman dreams about when he's sleeping. It's also an excellent and dark psychological take on Batman and some of his villains told alongside an Arkham origin story. Yeah, the handwritten look to the dialogue is fucking hard to read, and the art is muddled, but there's a solid story there that you'd be missing out on by brushing it off as an unreadable mess.

And if you want a real Morrison failure, check out Fantastic Four 1234. Holy fuckballs.

tim1138

One little thing from Multiversity I really enjoyed was the
reinterpretation of Harbinger as an AI in the Orrery, it was a nice call back to CoIE.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
reminder: Cape-Comics are dead as of November. Aren't the Multiversity enemies just going to be a hackneyed "They are the internet trolls! The haters!" jobby? Is Axis the worst comic book event possibly ever devised? Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead.

Also, since that stupid Spider-Woman cover is getting net-wide coverage to ensure more Greg Land shit sells as "car crash" stuff, i ducked my head into the thread and finally realised what the She-Hulk art that banished it from my pull reminded me of:

she-hulk2fqfkp.png

uH4Yx1L.jpg

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Also, since that stupid Spider-Woman cover is getting net-wide coverage to ensure more Greg Land shit sells as "car crash" stuff, i ducked my head into the thread and finally realised what the She-Hulk art that banished it from my pull reminded me of:

she-hulk2fqfkp.png

More like Maisey Williams:

ijIT2VG.gif

Props for the Frank Sidebottom reference though! Did you know he wrote the best episode of Pingu?

So I just read Supergirl #34, Superman Doomed tie-in (Last Sun: chapter 3)
... idk,, I just did not really enjoy that. Seemed very cheesy and just unnecessary.

One last chapter of the Superman Doomed story left!
Superman: Doomed #2 (9/24)

did Rafa ever explain why The Sixth Gun can be so good and all his Marvel books so bland...I mean besides the lack of Hurtt

I say this haven't not read Magneto yet, but between Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America And, Venom, and Wolverine, that nigga mekas Brian Wood comics seem exciting
Been up for nearly thirty hours. I will explain tomorrow morning. I have some theories.

I've been reading Final Crisis because of the sale.
I'm up to issue three and it's pretty good. Normally I'm not a big fan of massive cosmic stuff but this has hooked me nicely.

Filthy Slug

Top 3 comic of the week was pretty easy.

1. Multiversity
2. Batman & Robin
3. Infinity Man and the Forever People

A lot of great moments in this issue, and I especially liked Alfred and Jason's little interaction.

The genuine moments between Lex and Bruce were really great, and the psychology behind the friendship/bonding is potentially really solid, but I'm just waiting for Lex to fuck everyone over.
Is that a spoiler? I don't know.

Hagi

I picked up the magazine version of The Fade Out and damn i loved it. Brubaker and Phillips are easily my favorite creative team. Reading the stuff in the back was a really interesting insight into their creative process especially how Sean takes and uses references of himself lol

As a non American this era of your country and hollywood has always fascinated me so to say they already have me hooked would be an understatement. I enjoyed the short piece by Devin Faraci and Eds talk about the blacklist which i had never heard about before today.

I was going to pick up Multiversity but the shops stock had came in damaged so i might get it tomorrow if i remember.

As a non American this era of your country and hollywood has always fascinated me so to say they already have me hooked would be an understatement. I enjoyed the short piece by Devin Faraci and Eds talk about the blacklist which i had never heard about before today.

If you are interested in that era then I would highly recommend James Ellroy's four novels that form the "LA Quartet":

Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential (you may have seen the movie), and White Jazz.

So, I just jumped from Realm of Kings into Infinity and im very confused.

how the heck did Thanos escape the cancerverse and is now in charge of all these guys?

Really glad to read this since I feel exactly the same. It's really the same story he's been telling for a very long time. The haunted comic aspect is a new wrinkle, but it's the same story, and he's also clearly running out of interesting personifications of the evil. The Gentry is the flat out lamest gaggle of Magic TGCG Common Cards I've ever seen.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

It's very dreamlike and metaphorical. The text being all hazy is part of that

Brubaker and Phillips did it again . Fade out was a pretty great a recreating that 40's feel.

Multiversity was good but not feeling the whole haunted comic thing

Filthy Slug

You have to figure, with Morrison, he's going to go through some of the leit-motifs that he's been honing for the past 20+ years in something that he considers his DC magnum opus, but that doesn't mean he can't build on it, and evolve it, and make it something wholly fresh and new.

Also, is that Guide to Multiversity issue that we're getting a part of the numbered run, or an extra issue that we're getting?

tim1138

You have to figure, with Morrison, he's going to go through some of the leit-motifs that he's been honing for the past 20+ years in something that he considers his DC magnum opus, but that doesn't mean he can't build on it, and evolve it, and make it something wholly fresh and new.

Also, is that Guide to Multiversity issue that we're getting a part of the numbered run, or an extra issue that we're getting?

The way I understood it was we get the two bookend issues, six one shots, and the guide for nine total issues. I may be completely wrong about that though.

Filthy Slug

The way I understood it was we get the two bookend issues, six one shots, and the guide for nine total issues. I may be completely wrong about that though.

So issue #1 was a bookend issue, right?

Hagi

We know it when the Original Sin Tie In for Guardians of the Galaxy Releases.

It's super bullshit this is getting revealed in a shitty tie in and considering the theme if they frame it as Quill leaving Richie behind and not giving a shit for a year plus i think my eyes will roll out of my head. I think they've left it far too late for this to have any semblance of a satisfying end.

If you are interested in that era then I would highly recommend James Ellroy's four novels that form the "LA Quartet":

Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential (you may have seen the movie), and White Jazz.

Thanks for the recs! i don't think i have actually seen the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom