• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i meant Thanos Imperative.

Fantastic Four? man that's dumb why would all that stuff be in there, making this stuff way more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm already finished with Infinity though, too late for that i guess.

A lot of Black Bolt's/Inhumans' arc is covered through Hickman's FF run, one of the issues Marvel has faced with The Inhumans for a while. They're pretty popular but haven't really been big enough to carry their own long-term ongoing series so a lot of big developments are in other books/events.

Hopefully this changes with Medusa and Inhuman, I want to see an ongoing Inhumans series pick up steam bigtime.

Messi

No DC, fuck your futures end gimmick books ... Give me the next issue of Batman and Robin. You can't leave me hanging for two months after the last page. Damn.

The coloured Catwoman cover by Garry Brown in the back of the book looks so good, but so do the Jay Lee covers, maybe I'll get both.

I kept seeing people say in other threads that Marvel is trying to replace the mutants with the Inhumans.

I can kinda get where it comes from with the end of Infinity but then why would they use the Phoenix to bring mutants back in AvX?

dan2026

Arkham Asylum is probably the one Morrison work I don't like much.

I felt he was trying way too hard to turns Batman and his villains into analogues for things.
It all came off as hackneyed and edgy for the sake of it.

Little Nemo Return to Slumberland was about as good and bad as I thought it was gonna be. Its a monthly periodical and it has a plot now, which is uh hmm. There's this bland inciting incident about Nemo being this wizard of Oz type dude chosen by Slumberland to be the princess' playmate, but its just like...whatever bro this is suppose to be a strip where a kid has crazy dreams and then falls to the ground.

Now, when they actually start doing the Winsor McCay thing, its wonderful, they totally get it. But then the issue is over and they aint got shit to show for it. You can't do a narrative and have no progression! You gotta choose one or the other mothafucka, one or the other

Yo, I fuckin' loved Little Nemo as a kid. No relevance to this post I suppose. But hell yeah.

I kept seeing people say in other threads that Marvel is trying to replace the mutants with the Inhumans.

I can kinda get where it comes from with the end of Infinity but then why would they use the Phoenix to bring mutants back in AvX?

They're not, that rumour has no foundation outside of speculation. But pushing Inhumans in the comics is a good strategy if they are building up to a movie.

They may be taking a break from pushing FF but that probably has more to do with poor sales and a general lack of direction for the property than movie rights.

Bii

I haven't started on Wicked/Divine yet; guess I gotta start on that soon to participate in the conversations.

-

The Manhattan Projects #22

2DUNli4.jpg

I should have probably trade waited Manhattan Projects since it reads "better" that way. That's not a knock on MP but I become impatient reading it from month to month to see what's going to happen next. So little happens in one issue yet so much happens at the same time; I know, I'm contradicting myself there. Gotta be honest though, I have no idea what the f*ck is going on here. All I know is that the Manhattan Projects are now under new management and its 'original' members are either staying or going.

DAT ART THOUGH! And Einstein with that futuristic Saiyan scouter.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah i meant Thanos Imperative.

Fantastic Four? man that's dumb why would all that stuff be in there, making this stuff way more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm already finished with Infinity though, too late for that i guess.

That's a weird way if looking at it. I doubt there was a masterplan, Hickman likely saw threads left dangling (as most comic stories do as seeds for future stories) and ran with them. DnA's story was over when it was over, consider other stories featuring the same characters as different approaches informed by what other creators have done but not beholden to it.

Also, any explanation of how they got out of the cancerverse will likely be even less satisfying than the obvious "they just did, move on".

Also, Infinity is really just an arc of Hickman's Avengers run, it is likely much more satisfying if you read it as part of the run. I imagine without the context it must be confusing as hell, especially if you're just expecting a Thanos story. It's more of a Hickman-verse story IMO, using stuff he's been building for years now.

Busaiku

Read the 3 issues of The Wicked + The Divine, and I liked it.
There seems to be a lot going on, but I don't really feel confused or anything.
The characters are all really fun though and it looks great.
I loved the suspect rundown in the 3rd issue with Lucifer's answers.

Outcast was alright, but it definitely felt a lot simpler.
Given the ending commentary, it seems they're aiming to make this creepier, but I dunno, I'm not really feeling that at all.

Low looks great, but with just the 1st issue at least, it definitely feels like a lot to take in.
Lots of setup, so it could definitely pay off well, but I didn't get too much out of it otherwise.
But it's really, really pretty.

That's a weird way if looking at it. I doubt there was a masterplan, Hickman likely saw threads left dangling (as most comic stories do as seeds for future stories) and ran with them. DnA's story was over when it was over, consider other stories featuring the same characters as different approaches informed by what other creators have done but not beholden to it.

Also, any explanation of how they got out of the cancerverse will likely be even less satisfying than the obvious "they just did, move on".

Also, Infinity is really just an arc of Hickman's Avengers run, it is likely much more satisfying if you read it as part of the run. I imagine without the context it must be confusing as hell, especially if you're just expecting a Thanos story. It's more of a Hickman-verse story IMO, using stuff he's been building for years now.

Yeah I keep seeing people referring to Infinity as an "event" when it doesn't really fit that mold. It's specifically focused on Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers and doesn't really cross those two threads over very much.

Whenever someone sees my Infinity HC and want to read that I always tell them to start with Hickman's FF and go into Avengers/New Avengers from there and not treat Infinity like it's this clear, open and closed thing. It doesn't even resolve that much in the end aside from stopping the immediate threat of Thanos.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I really hope Marvel puts together a Hickman Avengers omnibus after all this is over. I didn't realize this was such a long, intricate story.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What happened?

I'm guessing some of the books weren't actually in stock so his order isn't getting shipped out. I remember Rafa had the same problem when he ordered all the Hellboy Library Editions and BPRD hardcovers.

Decided to finally get physical copies of The Hunter and The Outfit since seeing them mentioned a few days ago. Holy shit at that hardcover (I can't stand most dust covers; most of my hardcovers have no dust covers). Can't wait to dive right back in to these puppies.

That cover is amazing.

dude I dont know anything about these different authors and there runs and what not stretching across completely different comics, I just recently got Marvel Unlimted and use this website to figure things out.(and that marvel comic guide picture)

website didn't tell me anything about F4 also playing into it.

I'm guessing some of the books weren't actually in stock so his order isn't getting shipped out. I remember Rafa had the same problem when he ordered all the Hellboy Library Editions and BPRD hardcovers.

I've had to wait for a week once or twice while items were restocked. It's not the end of the world.

Zombine

Banned
What happened?

Nothing too severe, just a headache on my end. It looks like they sold Dark Horse books that weren't actually in stock, and now I have to wait until they get a new shipment. Blacksad vol 2 wasn't in stock, as well as Fear Agent vol 2. I haven't received my shipment of all of my Hellboy books. I'm assuming that will be a mess also.

No DC, fuck your futures end gimmick books ... Give me the next issue of Batman and Robin. You can't leave me hanging for two months after the last page. Damn.

Messi, what would you do if they announced that after the current run, Harley Quinn will be written by Ann Nocenti next?

Speaking of shipped orders Midtown has been extremely slow shipping my latest order which has Multiversity, Fade Out, and a few others...Usually they're good about it but it didn't ship until yesterday and I placed the order last week! Need me some Fade Out and Morrison!

Bii

Speaking of shipped orders Midtown has been extremely slow shipping my latest order which has Multiversity, Fade Out, and a few others...Usually they're good about it but it didn't ship until yesterday and I placed the order last week! Need me some Fade Out and Morrison!

Lately, I've been noticing that too. They used to ship on Mondays when comics come out that week but it's mostly been Wednesdays and sometimes as late as Fridays before I get a shipment notification.

Lately, I've been noticing that too. They used to ship on Mondays when comics come out that week but it's mostly been Wednesdays and sometimes as late as Fridays before I get a shipment notification.

Yea I'm wondering what the deal is...I hope it doesn't keep up.

Vibranium

Banned
Arkham Asylum is probably the one Morrison work I don't like much.

I felt he was trying way too hard to turns Batman and his villains into analogues for things.
It all came off as hackneyed and edgy for the sake of it.

I really didn't like his interpretation that Batman had trouble with women and social relationships. Completely off to me. I still liked Arkham Asylum though, the art and Arkham's life was really cool.

kswiston

dude I dont know anything about these different authors and there runs and what not stretching across completely different comics, I just recently got Marvel Unlimted and use this website to figure things out.(and that marvel comic guide picture)

Jonathan Hickman started writing Fantastic Four around the same time that DNA stopped writing Marvel Cosmic stuff. As you might have picked up from the Infinity books, he likes cosmic characters, so his Fantastic Four run is full of Galactus, Celestials, Annihilus/the Negative Zone, the Kree, the Inhumans, etc. For 2-3 years, he was the only person who gave a shit about those properties. Then Marvel decided to make GotG into a movie, which meant that Brian Bendis was all of a sudden interested in writing cosmic stuff.

Some of the stuff Hickman's set up with cosmic characters in Fantastic Four is directly continued in his Avengers books. It also helps that the FF run was great.

Anyhow, knowing what happens in Infinity doesn't really spoil much. If you want to read it and fill in the gaps between DnA's books and the present status quo, read:

1) Fantastic Four #570-588
2) FF #1 -11
3) Fantastic Four #600
4) Then Fantastic Four and FF sort of cover the same events from different character view points. I think the Fantastic Four books are #601-611 and the FF books are #12-23. You can just alternate between them.

tim1138

Lol people forget that he's only dropped a single issue so far, and I still doubt the validity of that.

He posted a picture from when he was in Florida of having bought all the Suicide Squad Death of the Family tie ins he always complains about.

Hagi

Decided to finally get physical copies of The Hunter and The Outfit since seeing them mentioned a few days ago. Holy shit at that hardcover (I can't stand most dust covers; most of my hardcovers have no dust covers). Can't wait to dive right back in to these puppies.

I'd love to know too, haha

I need to pick these up, I've only ever heard good things about Cookes adaptations. Had no idea that the movie Payback was based on the novel The Hunter.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Ok, well the picture guide is referring to the big long story by Abnett and Lanning (DnA), and even though it's a bunch of separate titles (Guardians, Nova, War of Kings etc), it's essentially one big story, right? That story ended when DnA ended their run. A little while later, Jonathan Hickman started his F4 run and picked up the loose threads with the Inhumans and used them for his own story. Even though it features some of the same characters, it's an entirely different story by a different writer. By Infinity he's done a huge amount of work on the Inhumans, so their scenes actually have a lot of weight if you've been reading F4 and New Avengers, but it's also tying up the first half of adjectiveless Avengers and introducing Thanos as a wildcard that he's probably going to start paying off very soon. Thanos being in Infinity doesn't mean it's a sequel to his last appearance, basically.

Superhero comics like this aren't really a continuous universe even though they pretend to be, so I find it best not to stress over how characters like Thanos get from one story to another. Separate stories, shared characters. It's fun.

Edit: also holy crap did you read all those books at that Infinity link? It blows my mind that people are recommending an endurance slog of reading like that to new readers. Because if I had to read all that I think I would hate comics afterwards, it would seem so complicated. Comics tie-in marketing is harsh to newbies, it's kind of gross now that I think about it. Been reading so long I can tune it out now, like static noise.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
And I really want to read Hickman's F4 now.

Oh man it's so good, especially if you can churn through it quickly. Hickman is an odd writer in that he can be both incredibly dense and sparse at the same time. I feel like I get a lot of big ideas in his work, but he also takes a very long time to develop subplots and move the story past this perpetual building sense that he tends to operate in. He does these things where he'll do something mysterious and seemingly random for 12 pages and then won't even mention it again for 8 issues when it'll pop back up again. He's like the comics version of post-rock, buildy buildy.

I think F4 balances his coldly scientific, big plot style with the warm family dynamic of the Richards in a way that none of his other work approaches. For a wild scifi story it's also one of the most human portrayals of the F4 I've ever seen, the kids especially are believable and have real personality and meaning in the story and when the Future Foundation starts it's a wonderful explosion of playfulness and fun in what had been and continues to be a very heady cosmic tale. And IIRC there's a story where Johnny and Spider-Man have a party with a woman who is a horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom