• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

Are there any good threads/forums / 'areas of the internet' for WicDiv discussion? This comic demands detailed obsessive discussion.

I read some Phonogram after WicDiv #1, and I couldn't get into it at all. You could clearly see the Gillen style, but just as an overall thing, I don't think it was for me? I think that I only got up to #3 or something.

WicDiv is totally different, i'm really hooked on this.

There is always here to discuss, but Multiversity Comics has Wicked Intervention:

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/wicked-intervention-the-wicked-the-divine-1/
http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/wicked-intervention-the-wicked-the-divine-2/

Very detailed and obsessive breakdowns. Third installment should be out soon.

Finally sat down to read Multiversity.

Ugh.

My eyes just sort of glazed over the first two thirds of the book.
The Earth 8 stuff
was pretty cool. Otherwise...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Holy fucking shit New Avengers was so so good! That ending! Argh, this book is monthly too right?? More!! It's been a good long time since an issue blew the top of my skull off like that. Wowza.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You, sir, are in the minority. Most people seem to really dig it.

If you were expecting Harrier to dig this then you've been reading the wrong thread man. Just like if I were to read a legion book written by Paul Levitz. Tbh I'm surprised he bought it and that ain't even a dig. I've not read lots of posts so I'm betting Messi didn't dig it either?

If you were expecting Harrier to dig this then you've been reading the wrong thread man. Just like if I were to read a legion book written by Paul Levitz. Tbh I'm surprised he bought it and that ain't even a dig. I've not read lots of posts so I'm betting Messi didn't dig it either?

I don't think Messi bought it

Messi

I know enough about what I like to know I wouldn't enjoy it, so I didn't buy it.

I went into this with the personal assumption that I'd have a 50/50 chance of enjoying it, because on paper, the concept intrigues me. One of the aspects of Morrison that I totally agree with, is the pure and simple joy of loving comics and how they are the modern myths of our society.

I also think this book is great for people who really want to dig into the minutia and try and pick apart Morrison's thought processes and intentions; i.e. why did he choose this character, to do this thing, on this panel. It's going to be great for that sort of thing.

But for me, it was incoherent. It was like the end of his Action Comics run, as opposed to his Batman and Robin.

That said, I still intend to check out at least the first of the one shots that will come out, because I think those individual stories will appeal to me.

frye

Agreed re: Multiversity seeming a bit obvious and retread-y, y'all. Good bits, but rather familiar on the whole.

Decided to pick up The Wicked and the Divine, Outcast, Low, and Supreme Blue Rose.
Hope these are good.

Low is kind of a hard read but give it some time and try and soak in everything. It's really great and has a lot of promise for the future.

The Wicked and the Divine is good too. Haven't read the others

Finally sat down to read Multiversity.

Ugh.

My eyes just sort of glazed over the first two thirds of the book.
The Earth 8 stuff
was pretty cool. Otherwise...

I wouldn't even say it was weird, or that I glazed over most of the book, I just felt a lot of been there done that to it. I thought
Harbinger as a computer AI was pretty cool.

Messi

Spoiler alert: [SPOILERs]they are.[/SPOILER]

e: oh, I didn't see Outcast in there, which I haven't read.

tumblr_mfup4ksqVL1qis1uxo1_500.gif

/ded

Gawge

There is always here to discuss, but Multiversity Comics has Wicked Intervention:

http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/wicked-intervention-the-wicked-the-divine-1/
http://multiversitycomics.com/columns/wicked-intervention-the-wicked-the-divine-2/

Very detailed and obsessive breakdowns. Third installment should be out soon.

Yeah, cheers for that - I have seen the Multiversity breakdowns which are truly excellent. Very excited for the new one.

I'm wondering, do you think that the 'whodunnit' will be solved in this arc (i.e. first 6 issues)? And who is your instinct at the moment?
The last issue did a good job of trying to disprove pretty much any option. Is there a bluff in there, Amaterasu or Laura could be potential twists. Maybe even someone we know, but not as a God (one of Laura's family? Cassandra?).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I went into this with the personal assumption that I'd have a 50/50 chance of enjoying it, because on paper, the concept intrigues me. One of the aspects of Morrison that I totally agree with, is the pure and simple joy of loving comics and how they are the modern myths of our society.

I also think this book is great for people who really want to dig into the minutia and try and pick apart Morrison's thought processes and intentions; i.e. why did he choose this character, to do this thing, on this panel. It's going to be great for that sort of thing.

But for me, it was incoherent. It was like the end of his Action Comics run, as opposed to his Batman and Robin.

That said, I still intend to check out at least the first of the one shots that will come out, because I think those individual stories will appeal to me.

It's funny, rather than incoherent I thought it was a bit too straightforward. Lots of pages wasted on predictable punchy punchy when they could have been exploring the multiverse more. Like, I got the Marvel thing on the first page, move on already.

I think it also suffered in comparison to New Avengers where Hickman basically did the same trick but upped the ante several notches.

But I did enjoy it still, despite my criticisms. Was pretty fun, and the one shots are going to rock so hard.

ReAxion

Yeah, cheers for that - I have seen the Multiversity breakdowns which are truly excellent. Very excited for the new one.

I'm wondering, do you think that the 'whodunnit' will be solved in this arc (i.e. first 6 issues)? And who is your instinct at the moment?
The last issue did a good job of trying to disprove pretty much any option. Is there a bluff in there, Amaterasu or Laura could be potential twists. Maybe even someone we know, but not as a God (one of Laura's family? Cassandra?).

Yeah. Then we stand around with our jaws on the ground while waiting for the next arc to start.

Cassandra would be a good one. Laura would be a big twist, interesting.
I'm not sure at this point if their whole rundown was red herring or what. Like, I don't think we can take Luci at her word, I don't think she knows everything.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hickman's Avengers stuff has been totally off my radar just because I feel pretty meh about the Avengers, but after reading all the posts about it today and yesterday, I definitely think I'll pick up the collected edition(s) when it wraps up.

Also, regarding Arkham Asylum, it's pretty funny to me that Arkham Asylum was probably Morrison's biggest commercial success even though most of us tend to agree that it's his least coherent and approachable book. Maybe it's just the selling power of Batman coupled with the fact that the movies were coming out at the same time as Arkham Asylum, but it's crazy to me that such a complex and difficult book could sell so incredibly well.
You know, maybe that's where the misconception that Morrison's work is totally incoherent and convoluted came from. Everyone and their mother bought Arkham Asylum and then decided that Morrison wasn't for them.

Man who ever said this months Supergirl was a waste was spot on. It added NOTHING to the Doomed storyline, and nothing to Supergirl her self.

After how fast shit happened with last weeks 3 Doomed issues, and the story ending in the next Doomed installment I would have thought SOMETHING would have happened.

Hickman's Avengers stuff has been totally off my radar just because I feel pretty meh about the Avengers, but after reading all the posts about it today and yesterday, I definitely think I'll pick up the collected edition(s) when it wraps up.

Also, regarding Arkham Asylum, it's pretty funny to me that Arkham Asylum was probably Morrison's biggest commercial success even though most of us tend to agree that it's his least coherent and approachable book. Maybe it's just the selling power of Batman coupled with the fact that the movies were coming out at the same time as Arkham Asylum, but it's crazy to me that such a complex and difficult book could sell so incredibly well.
You know, maybe that's where the misconception that Morrison's work is totally incoherent and convoluted came from. Everyone and their mother bought Arkham Asylum and then decided that Morrison wasn't for them.

I'm going to disagree with this, at least in the sense of when the book game out. It's not like his popularity waned after this, if anything AA was the first stepping stone to him becoming popular. Personally I would put it closer to Batman R.I.P, and Final Crisis when people really started saying he was incoherent, convoluted and not for them.

I remember back in the day AA was really well regarded, and most people I knew liked it.

Man who ever said this months Supergirl was a waste was spot on. It added NOTHING to the Doomed storyline, and nothing to Supergirl her self.

After how fast shit happened with last weeks 3 Doomed issues, and the story ending in the next Doomed installment I would have thought SOMETHING would have happened.

That was me lol. Glad its not just me who thinks this

Gawge

Yeah. Then we stand around with our jaws on the ground while waiting for the next arc to start.

Cassandra would be a good one. Laura would be a big twist, interesting.
I'm not sure at this point if their whole rundown was red herring or what. Like, I don't think we can take Luci at her word, I don't think she knows everything.

Yeah, i'm sure it will be like that.

I obviously agree the rundown is far from fact. Luci doesn't seem too confident on a lot of issues, and the self-aware points like "Genre tropes dictate it was probably her" on Amaterasu just confuse things even more. Is that a double-bluff? Probably not.

Laura would certainly be a big twist, but thinking about it, it would probably be too much of stretch for it to be her. With us being with her alone plenty of times, even just in the first issue with her getting ready, and talking about wanting to be one of them. Unless there is some aspect of a dual-personality, a God 'hidden inside' going on. Which I suppose could be realistic, I mean, when we see Luci becoming Luci, the personality behind it does seem to leave room open for that. Luci greets Ananke as if she knew her, yet still remembers her life from before???

Kipp

I'm going to disagree with this, at least in the sense of when the book game out. It's not like his popularity waned after this, if anything AA was the first stepping stone to him becoming popular. Personally I would put it closer to Batman R.I.P, and Final Crisis when people really started saying he was incoherent, convoluted and not for them.

I remember back in the day AA was really well regarded, and most people I knew liked it.

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for that info.
I've only been a comics reader for a year now, so I wasn't really aware of when that opinion of Morrison started to develop. It's nice to hear what the actual consensus was when Arkham Asylum came out.

Did/do people find Batman R.I.P. incoherent/convoluted? I thought it was a pretty straightforward story.
I can definitely see Final Crisis causing the widespread opinion that Morrison is incoherent/convoluted though. A high-profile, important DC event that probably a lot of people picked up, and it is one of Morrison's more complex/chaotic books.

ReAxion

Yeah, i'm sure it will be like that.

I obviously agree the rundown is far from fact. Luci doesn't seem too confident on a lot of issues, and the self-aware points like "Genre tropes dictate it was probably her" on Amaterasu just confuse things even more. Is that a double-bluff? Probably not.

Laura would certainly be a big twist, but thinking about it, it would probably be too much of stretch for it to be her. With us being with her alone plenty of times, even just in the first issue with her getting ready, and talking about wanting to be one of them. Unless there is some aspect of a dual-personality, a God 'hidden inside' going on. Which I suppose could be realistic, I mean, when we see Luci becoming Luci, the personality behind it does seem to leave room open for that. Luci greets Ananke as if she knew her, yet still remembers her life from before???

They gotta do a lot of earning
for it to be Laura. Something like she wanted to be a god so bad she'd somehow betray one. I don't know how I'd like that, tho.
Like you said, the self awareness just says to me I shouldn't even try to figure it out at this point, cuz I have no idea. A magic trick where I know I'm being misdirected but I have no idea where and when.

kswiston

So, I just jumped from Realm of Kings into Infinity and im very confused.

how the heck did Thanos escape the cancerverse and is now in charge of all these guys?

Did you mean that you jumped from the Thanos Imperative?

If you are trying to read recent Marvel Cosmic stuff, you should be going back and reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run before you get into anything to do with Infinity. Black Bolt/The Inhumans, Ronan, the Annihilation wave/Negative zone, and other cosmic story threads are picked up in that run.

Mafro

So, I just jumped from Realm of Kings into Infinity and im very confused.

how the heck did Thanos escape the cancerverse and is now in charge of all these guys?
He, along with Star Lord, returned without any explanation during Bendis' run on Avengers and it's taken him 3+ years to make up what's probably going to be a terrible, character-assassinating reason as to how it happened.

Little Nemo Return to Slumberland was about as good and bad as I thought it was gonna be. Its a monthly periodical and it has a plot now, which is uh hmm. There's this bland inciting incident about Nemo being this wizard of Oz type dude chosen by Slumberland to be the princess' playmate, but its just like...whatever bro this is suppose to be a strip where a kid has crazy dreams and then falls to the ground.

Now, when they actually start doing the Winsor McCay thing, its wonderful, they totally get it. But then the issue is over and they aint got shit to show for it. You can't do a narrative and have no progression! You gotta choose one or the other mothafucka, one or the other
damnwhoa

Vyer

It's been a long time since I read Arkham Asylum, but I don't remember having a hard time reading it. I do remember it really creeping me the hell out though.

Gawge

They gotta do a lot of earning
for it to be Laura. Something like she wanted to be a god so bad she'd somehow betray one. I don't know how I'd like that, tho.
Like you said, the self awareness just says to me I shouldn't even try to figure it out at this point, cuz I have no idea. A magic trick where I know I'm being misdirected but I have no idea where and when.

Agreed.

I had a quick re-read of #1 with "Laura did it" in mind - and to be honest, it could work. You could certainly read quite a bit into the gig, with the eye contact, "I want everything you have" (which is also the back page quote), and then immediately fainting - and waking up to "aren't you the oh-so special one" etc... (A side point here, which I highly doubt is relevant, but when getting ready there is no glitter on her shoulders, the first scene of her at the gig has no glitter on her shoulders, and then just as she is about to faint she has this glitter on her body [none seemingly on anyone else, or her clothes], and also has it when she wakes up. As I say, almost not worth mentioning and probably a quirk of the drawing process. Not even a quirk really, probably a normal way to show her progressing through the gig).

Then right at the end, after the judge goes boom... EVERYONE in the room, including Luci seems to flinch, except for Laura who is shocked. A look that could definitely be 'WTF did I just do?!?!". Then the narration from Laura - "I knew it before she said anything". (Luci: That wasn't me). "Of course it wasn't". "But apart from me, who was going to believe her".

That narration at the end especially seems to leave open the possibility. It's far from proof, or incriminating, but it could really be open to an interpretation that Laura knew it wasn't Luci, and she was the only one who knew, because it was herself.

I'm definitely reading into this a bit much. I'm also not sure exactly how it could be Laura, or whether I would want it to be her (she's the narrator, our eyes, she can't really be the bad guy at the end of the first arc, right?). BUT I might as well stick the theory out there.

ReAxion

Agreed.

I had a quick re-read of #1 with "Laura did it" in mind - and to be honest, it could work. You could certainly read quite a bit into the gig, with the eye contact, "I want everything you have" (which is also the back page quote), and then immediately fainting - and waking up to "aren't you the oh-so special one" etc... (A side point here, which I highly doubt is relevant, but when getting ready there is no glitter on her shoulders, the first scene of her at the gig has no glitter on her shoulders, and then just as she is about to faint she has this glitter on her body [none seemingly on anyone else, or her clothes], and also has it when she wakes up. As I say, almost not worth mentioning and probably a quirk of the drawing process.).

Then right at the end, after the judge goes boom... EVERYONE in the room, including Luci seems to flinch, except for Laura who is shocked. A look that could definitely be 'WTF did I just do?!?!". Then the narration from Laura - "I knew it before she said anything". (Luci: That wasn't me). "Of course it wasn't". "But apart from me, who was going to believe her".

That narration at the end especially seems to leave open the possibility. It's far from proof, or incriminating, but it could really be open to an interpretation that Laura knew it wasn't Luci, and she was the only one who knew, because it was herself.

I'm definitely reading into this a bit much. I'm also not sure exactly how it could be Laura, or whether I would want it to be her (she's the narrator, our eyes, she can't really be the bad guy at the end of the first arc, right?). BUT I might as well stick the theory out there.

Damn.

Main thing going against Arkham Aslyum for me is I'm just totally done with the "Is Batman just as craaaazy as his rogues!?"

generally, no he's not. So we answered that, no need for further exploitation.

Did you mean that you jumped from the Thanos Imperative?

If you are trying to read recent Marvel Cosmic stuff, you should be going back and reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run before you get into anything to do with Infinity. Black Bolt/The Inhumans, Ronan, the Annihilation wave/Negative zone, and other cosmic story threads are picked up in that run.
Yeah i meant Thanos Imperative.

Fantastic Four? man that's dumb why would all that stuff be in there, making this stuff way more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm already finished with Infinity though, too late for that i guess.

Kipp

It's been a long time since I read Arkham Asylum, but I don't remember having a hard time reading it. I do remember it really creeping me the hell out though.

I should re-read it soon. I remember being pretty confused at what was happening, mostly because the art was too abstract for me to tell what was going on, but also because--as I realized after reading the script at the back of the TPB--I skipped some pages accidentally because the paper used in that TPB is the thinnest paper on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom