• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
brb imagining new 2-player omnibus reading position

I have all the floppies and was momentarily tempted by the omnibus by damn it's just too big. I wish they do an edition that was like Starman / Gotham Central / Preacher. 12-16 issues is the sweet spot.

Just called all the LCSs looking for the magazine variant of the Fade Out. The one place that has them is forty minutes away. -_-

It will be worth it

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man it's so good, especially if you can churn through it quickly. Hickman is an odd writer in that he can be both incredibly dense and sparse at the same time. I feel like I get a lot of big ideas in his work, but he also takes a very long time to develop subplots and move the story past this perpetual building sense that he tends to operate in. He does these things where he'll do something mysterious and seemingly random for 12 pages and then won't even mention it again for 8 issues when it'll pop back up again. He's like the comics version of post-rock, buildy buildy.

I think F4 balances his coldly scientific, big plot style with the warm family dynamic of the Richards in a way that none of his other work approaches. For a wild scifi story it's also one of the most human portrayals of the F4 I've ever seen, the kids especially are believable and have real personality and meaning in the story and when the Future Foundation starts it's a wonderful explosion of playfulness and fun in what had been and continues to be a very heady cosmic tale. And IIRC there's a story where Johnny and Spider-Man have a party with a woman who is a horse.

You totally sold me on it with that summary/review. That sounds fantastic. Thanks for the write-up!

And that sounds like a really interesting writing style. Unfortunately I don't know how well I can do on the reading quickly part, but I'd give it my best shot. Haha

First omnibus is out, second one coming in a couple of months. Now's not a bad time to start

Awesome. I think I probably ought to hold off for the time being since there are already too many other things I really want to buy, but I'll almost definitely pick it up eventually. Maybe when I do pick it up, the Avengers stuff will have an omnibus coming up too. Haha

Ok, well the picture guide is referring to the big long story by Abnett and Lanning (DnA), and even though it's a bunch of separate titles (Guardians, Nova, War of Kings etc), it's essentially one big story, right? That story ended when DnA ended their run. A little while later, Jonathan Hickman started his F4 run and picked up the loose threads with the Inhumans and used them for his own story. Even though it features some of the same characters, it's an entirely different story by a different writer. By Infinity he's done a huge amount of work on the Inhumans, so their scenes actually have a lot of weight if you've been reading F4 and New Avengers, but it's also tying up the first half of adjectiveless Avengers and introducing Thanos as a wildcard that he's probably going to start paying off very soon. Thanos being in Infinity doesn't mean it's a sequel to his last appearance, basically.

Superhero comics like this aren't really a continuous universe even though they pretend to be, so I find it best not to stress over how characters like Thanos get from one story to another. Separate stories, shared characters. It's fun.

Edit: also holy crap did you read all those books at that Infinity link? It blows my mind that people are recommending an endurance slog of reading like that to new readers. Because if I had to read all that I think I would hate comics afterwards, it would seem so complicated. Comics tie-in marketing is harsh to newbies, it's kind of gross now that I think about it. Been reading so long I can tune it out now, like static noise.
lol hell no i didn't read all the comics in that link.

I just read New Avengers and Infinity itself, the prelude Avengers stuff was boring me.

I'll probably read GOTG but I can't imagine it being better than the older run.

kswiston

Hickman is good at taking half baked ideas from other writers and fleshing them out/making them his own. Instead of scrapping Mark Millar's fairly shitty Fantastic Four run like a lot of incoming writers would, he took most of the plot points like Nu World and that dead Galactus and ran with it. He did the same thing with Brian Bendis' Illuminati and Secret Warriors.

Hickman is good at taking half baked ideas from other writers and fleshing them out/making them his own. Instead of scrapping Mark Millar's fairly shitty Fantastic Four Run, he took most of the plot points like Nu World and that dead Galactus and ran with it. He did the same thing with Brian Bendis' Illuminati and Secret Warriors.

Don't forget Valeria !

Taking a trip to Graham Cracker comics tomorrow (45min +-) :).
Found a copy of The Fade Out magazine variant. Always find some other cool shit there.
Awesome store. And all I gotta do is buy the wife Portillos to get her to go. Haha

Zombine

Banned
Taking a trip to Graham Cracker comics tomorrow (45min +-) :).
Found a copy of The Fade Out magazine variant. Always find some other cool shit there.
Awesome store. And all I gotta do is buy the wife Portillos to get her to go. Haha

I don't know what any of that means, but The Fade Out was brilliant.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Kind of a dope week for variants. Burnham and this magazine thing that I didn't know existed and wish I fucking did.

Zombine

Banned
Kind of a dope week for variants. Burnham and this magazine thing that I didn't know existed and wish I fucking did.

Bro, the extra content in that magazine was where it was at. It was beautiful. Philips walked you through the creative process, and you got to see Brubaker's scripting. I would pay 10 bucks an issue for more police blotter stories and development insight.

These guys are so incredibly human and normal it's charming as fuck. Philips talked about still having to take reference photos because he can't draw without them.

I don't know what any of that means, but The Fade Out was brilliant.

Haha. It's just a sweet ass big ass two story comic book store thats out of town.

Bro, the extra content in that magazine was where it was at. It was beautiful. Philips walked you through the creative process, and you got to see Brubaker's scripting. I would pay 10 bucks an issue for more police blotter stories and development insight.

That's awesome. I didn't know it has extra shiiiit. Glad I found a copy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Does anyone know what is going on in Supreme Blue Rose, cause I feel like I'm floating out in null space when I read it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dammit, Zombine. Don't make me ebay this shit. Will any other issues be in that format?

Filthy Slug

I'm making some Chocolate Shakes with weed in them tomorrow, so I'll re read and let you know then..
Better read Arkham Asylum too. Perfect state to hit that story. I mean, aside from the text that'sgoing to fuck with your squinty ass eyes.

Zombine

Banned
Better read Arkham Asylum too. Perfect state to hit that story. I mean, aside from the text that'sgoing to fuck with your squinty ass eyes.

Oh I was smart as shit. I bought it during that CMX batman sale. I'll hit it up again and really try to soak it In

Haha. It's just a sweet ass big ass two story comic book store thats out of town.

NICE. So kinda like Midtown probably, except with it's life essence still in tact.

It's been a long time since I read Arkham Asylum, but I don't remember having a hard time reading it. I do remember it really creeping me the hell out though.
Nor I. And Morrison can throw me for loops at time. The best thing out of AA was the art. I love Dave McKeens work in this and all those great sandman covers and gaiman collaborations

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nor I. And Morrison can throw me for loops at time. The best thing out of AA was the art. I love Dave McKeens work in this and all those great sandman covers and gaiman collaborations

I still find it hilarious how adamant he was that Robin not be involved in AA.

These guys are so incredibly human and normal it's charming as fuck. Philips talked about still having to take reference photos because he can't draw without them.
You gotta get on those Criminal collections, those things are brimming with extra content.

Zombine

Banned
man, i love you guys

45193193.jpg

Filthy Slug

Michael Walsh is really great on Secret Avengers. I'm hoping this Deadpool issue actually helped the numbers a bit (probably not), because y'all got me worried that the best Avengers book is about to be cancelled.

Michael Walsh is really great on Secret Avengers. I'm hoping this Deadpool issue actually helped the numbers a bit (probably not), because y'all got me worried that the best Avengers book is about to be cancelled.

Have no fear Filthy Slug, Uncanny Avengers is selling quite well, and is about to be bolstered even more by the AXIS event tie-ins it will inevitably get

Messi

But he'd still complain about it every month.

Lol people forget that he's only dropped a single issue so far, and I still doubt the validity of that.

I've read all of them. Secretly :(

He posted a picture from when he was in Florida of having bought all the Suicide Squad Death of the Family tie ins he always complains about.

To be fair I wanted to own that piece of history. The lowest point in my favorite characters existence. Plus one of them has a nice cover.

Can someone please refresh my memory about the newest New Avengers?
why is Thanos out running about?

Someone has to get their hands Dirty

Wasn't a fan of the 4th wall. Breaking stuff but yea this book is fun.

It's been a long time since I read Arkham Asylum, but I don't remember having a hard time reading it. I do remember it really creeping me the hell out though.

Same here, it was probably mostly the art though that creeped me the hell out. I'm surprised so many here dislike it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom