• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is replacing him in FBP? I am just saddened that he had to leave...

"A Vertigo “Defy Covers” issue! Every journey starts with a single step. Cicero’s started when he crashed into a TV repair shop and eventually landed in the FBP Academy. This special two-part story features art by cover artist Nathan Fox and Alberto Ponticelli."

I'm not sure if they're gonna be on it after this or what.

Owzers

Nice to see some Hickman FF/Fantastic Four talk, that was one of my favorite runs out of marvel right alongside Fraction Immortal Iron Fist, Whedon Astonishing X-Men, and Remender's Uncanny X-Force. There's no rival to it's heartfelt sense of wonder from the Marvel Universe.

Nice to see some Hickman FF/Fantastic Four talk, that was one of my favorite runs out of marvel right alongside Fraction Immortal Iron Fist, Whedon Astonishing X-Men, and Remender's Uncanny X-Force. There's no rival to it's heartfelt sense of wonder from the Marvel Universe.

I think the only thing that hurts Hickman's FF is the sometimes inconsistent artwork. It is *perfectly* written.

I agree. I loved waid's FF run but Hickman's is my favorite thing his done and the closest comic that felt like Ellis's Planetary (which is very FF influenced)

Hey guys, so I'm mostly just a trade guy but I've been wanting to get into being able to read current stuff when its released. Think I'm going to go digital and can't decide between a kindle or an Ipad mini. Anyone have any suggestion?

Finally finishing revisiting Alan Moore Swamp Thing. Definitely loses something when Bissette and Totleben leave and Alan Moore like "alright bored now time to do space shit", but even that stuff is good cuz Alan Moore. The first year of the book has a legit case for best American superhero comics of the whole damn decade, and I'm including Moore's own work on Watchmen/Miller's Batman-Daredevil and other such high watermarks. Which means they're some of the best superhero books ever, period.

Owzers

I think the only thing that hurts Hickman's FF is the sometimes inconsistent artwork. It is *perfectly* written.

It's been awhile since i've read it, but i remember how much i complained about the revolving artists i didn't like on FF towards the end of his run....I'm not holding that against Hickman and my legendary-status for the saga but yikes. Maybe i'll learn to love the art...

kswiston

Ya, the tonal shift of the artwork is really the only downside of that run. Nick Dragotta is great, as demonstrated by East of West, but going from Steve Epting to him and others was a rough transition.

It's a shame that Marvel no longer believes in artist consistency. They are constantly playing musical chairs with the art teams. I'd love to have more long term teams like Synder and Capullo on Batman.

Hey guys, so I'm mostly just a trade guy but I've been wanting to get into being able to read current stuff when its released. Think I'm going to go digital and can't decide between a kindle or an Ipad mini. Anyone have any suggestion?

It really comes down to whether or not you like Android or iOS since Comixology is on both. I don't own a tablet so I couldn't give you a more detailed answer!

Busaiku: Definitely try out Deadly Class. The first trade is super cheap. The art and paneling are amazing and it's just a good comic all around.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Finally finishing revisiting Alan Moore Swamp Thing. Definitely loses something when Bissette and Totleben leave and Alan Moore like "alright bored now time to do space shit", but even that stuff is good cuz Alan Moore. The first year of the book has a legit case for best American superhero comics of the whole damn decade, and I'm including Moore's own work on Watchmen/Miller's Batman-Daredevil and other such high watermarks. Which means they're some of the best superhero books ever, period.

I dont consider Swamp Thing much of a superhero book.

Ya, the tonal shift of the artwork is really the only downside of that run. Nick Dragotta is great, as demonstrated by East of West, but going from Steve Epting to him and others was a rough transition.

It's a shame that Marvel no longer believes in artist consistency. They are constantly playing musical chairs with the art teams. I'd love to have more long term teams like Synder and Capullo on Batman.

Truth is that there are very few artists that can put out monthly books. I wish they would at least have rotating artists that fit together like when Rivera and Martin were on Daredevil. That shit was the flyest.

Does Capullo ever cause any delays? Because if not, thats pretty impressive.

kswiston

Truth is that there are very few artists that can put out monthly books. I wish they would at least have rotating artists that fit together like when Rivera and Martin were on Daredevil. That shit was the flyest.

Capullo has had 2-3 fill-ins, but Batman has been on time for 3 years straight give or take a week or two.

I understand that you can't always have a consistent team, but look at the current volume of New Avengers. We're only up to issue 23, and I think that Kev Walker is the fifth "regular" artist.

Its ok. Its no Black Science.

It feels like I haven't read an issue of Deadly Class in a while. I always felt that was the better book between the two, but now I'm not so sure. I still feel like Black Science reads better in trade, though. Most science-y books seem to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Capullo takes an issue off after every major arc, but other than that he's always on-time. Batman hasn't missed a month since the new 52 started.

I love both Deadly Class and Black Science. I do think Deadly Class spent a little too long on the acid trip and the pacing is kind of slow. I feel like Black Science has accomplished so much in the same timeframe in comparison, but like Freeza said, I think it works better in trades.

arkon

Capullo has had 2-3 fill-ins, but Batman has been on time for 3 years straight give or take a week or two.

I understand that you can't always have a consistent team, but look at the current volume of New Avengers. We're only up to issue 23, and I think that Kev Walker is the fifth "regular" artist.

The double-shipping of certain books doesn't help things either.

kswiston

The double-shipping of certain books doesn't help things either.

If they stuck to 2-3 rotating art teams with somewhat comparable styles, I'd be OK with it. However, the more common approach seems to be 3-6 issues, and then the artist is off to some completely different book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I love both Deadly Class and Black Science. I do think Deadly Class spent a little too long on the acid trip and the pacing is kind of slow. I feel like Black Science has accomplished so much in the same timeframe in comparison, but like Freeza said, I think it works better in trades.

The acid trip is the thing that made me like the book. I genuinely wasn't fully on-board for the first few issues, but the vegas trip issues brought the book to where it needed to be, I think. It stirred up all of the explosive elements and brought the core group of homies together, finally. Also, there's something about surviving a wild ass night with friends and then that fucked up, buzzy, self-reflective feeling when you're driving back home after a fucked up night that the book nailed perfectly.

Also, you know, those issues had the best art.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Alberto Ponticelli. Dude is super versatile and a great artist.

Ponticelli is on FBP!? That is awesome! He'll do an incredible job on that book.
I was planning to just pick up the trades for the original creative team, but now that I know he's on it, I'm definitely going to be reading the whole series (or at least until he's off the art duties).

Busaiku

I'm already on Low, I figure that's good enough.
Might check out Black Science later on, but definitely not now, just got like 10 new series in the last 2 weeks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I actually prefer slower, more methodical storytelling. Its part of the reason I'm not as huge of Remender as most of Comics GAF.

Also Fade Out was amazing. Pacing was excellent.

Also Fade Out was amazing. Pacing was excellent.

While I liked Fatale, with the paranormal twist and all, it felt like Brubaker and Philips were a bit out of their element. It seemed to flounder a little and lose direction after the second arc. Or more accurately, after the one-and-done stories from the third trade wrapped up. And toward the end, it seemed to drag on a bit too long only to end too suddenly, if that makes sense.

The Fade Out feels like they're back to doing what they do best; straight-up crime fiction.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Edge of Spider-Verse #2
Writer - Jason Latour
Artist - Robbi Rodriguez .. Already missing him from F.B.P. :,-(
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23182

Welp, I see it coming, Spider-Verse is going to be insanely expensive with all these Tie-In Books.

Hope they will make a Companion book next to the Main-Tradepaperback, like they did with Spider-Island.

Edit: Welp, 16 books: http://www.howtolovecomics.com/2014/08/06/spiderman-spider-verse-reading-order-checklist/

The acid trip is the thing that made me like the book. I genuinely wasn't fully on-board for the first few issues, but the vegas trip issues brought the book to where it needed to be, I think. It stirred up all of the explosive elements and brought the core group of homies together, finally. Also, there's something about surviving a wild ass night with friends and then that fucked up, buzzy, self-reflective feeling when you're driving back home after a fucked up night that the book nailed perfectly.

Also, you know, those issues had the best art.
Yeah I feel you, the book is still killer every issue. I like that Remender is focusing on character development. I'm just comparing it to his other stuff that I've read when I'm talking about the pacing. It works for the book, as it's not really dealing with any sci-fi or superhero-y things. It's just about some messed up kids trying to figure things out. Still, I need to reread the last few issues since I think I'm remembering the trip being longer than it actually was lol

Love the art. I was blown away by the motorcycle scene in the first issue and every issue looks just as good if not better. Can't praise it enough-- every issue is a treat to look at.

And speaking of dope books, I believe my Doom Patrol omni is coming in tomorrow. I can't wait to dig in after I get home.

Messi

Yeah I feel you, the book is still killer every issue. I like that Remender is focusing on character development. I'm just comparing it to his other stuff that I've read when I'm talking about the pacing. It works for the book, as it's not really dealing with any sci-fi or superhero-y things. It's just about some messed up kids trying to figure things out. Still, I need to reread the last few issues since I think I'm remembering the trip being longer than it actually was lol

Love the art. I was blown away by the motorcycle scene in the first issue and every issue looks just as good if not better. Can't praise it enough-- every issue is a treat to look at.

And speaking of dope books, I believe my Doom Patrol omni is coming in tomorrow. I can't wait to dig in after I get home.

hqdefault.jpg

I've never bought an omnibus. I am gonna buy an omnibus. I have a few in mind for a few months.

You guys think I would enjoy Sin City? Or maybe not. Maybe X-Force.

BluWacky

Speaking of FBP further up the page, I've just (yes, late to the party - I got confused when the title changed from Collider!) read the first trade. I can see why they changed the title.

It's pretty good! I am no physicist but the technobabble is convincing, the characterisation is strong (although I don't find Cicero particularly interesting as yet) and the art is, as mentioned previously, wonderful. The panel of the bubble universe suspended in the air, or the horrific "merged" person, were particularly good.

Lots going on story-wise but in a way that means episodic storytelling won't hurt it.

Good stuff - and I only have a month to wait until the next TPB!

Did any of the other recent new Vertigo titles turn out okay this year? I bought Trillium which I thought was very good (my favourite Jeff Lemire work yet), but I've not read any of Coffin Hill/Hinterkind/Dead Boy Detectives. Bodies seemed to be picking up good notices but that's very recent.

I saw a preview of the book were Gwen Stacey spider woman. The Art was gorgeous and Gwen looked interesting. She ether need her own on going or Marvel needs to bring her over into current 616.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I saw a preview of the book were Gwen Stacey spider woman. The Art was gorgeous and Gwen looked interesting. She ether need her own on going or Marvel needs to bring her over into current 616.

Yes, and while we are destroying fundamental parts of Spider-Man Lore, lets revive Uncle Ben, too.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I nearly choked on my water just now

Why? When there are two deaths in Spider-Man Lore, that matter, then its Uncle Bens and Gwen Stacys.

I am all in for a Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman Elseworld-style Story, but let her stay away from Earth 616 after Spider-Verse.

DiscoJon

Banned
Guys! I bought and read Multiversity #1!!! First comic I've bought since Batman INC. ended!! HAVE I DOOMED US ALL?!?!? OH NOOOOOOOO0000000010101010110101
4.jpg

Messi

Why? When there are two deaths in Spider-Man Lore, that matter, then its Uncle Bens and Gwen Stacys.

I am all in for a Gwen Stacy Spider-Woman Elseworld-style Story, but let her stay away from Earth 616 after Spider-Verse.

I agree with you I was laughing at the idea of undoing a stupidly important character death for 616 Spidey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom