• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Guys! I bought and read Multiversity #1!!! First comic I've bought since Batman INC. ended!! HAVE I DOOMED US ALL?!?!? OH NOOOOOOOO0000000010101010110101
4.jpg

Give in.

Mindwipe

I saw a preview of the book were Gwen Stacey spider woman. The Art was gorgeous and Gwen looked interesting. She ether need her own on going or Marvel needs to bring her over into current 616.

I'm not precious about the death as such, but if they were going to undo it it would a) have to be the original and b) be a fucking big deal with a big cost.

(I agreed with JMS for what it's worth that if they were going to do it it should have happened during OMD and it should have been a fucking disaster for Peter. I still think the marriage shouldn't have been undone. If Marvel wanted to be shitty enough to undo the marriage they should have had the balls to have brought Gwen back and had that break Peter and MJ up.)

Hey guys, so I'm mostly just a trade guy but I've been wanting to get into being able to read current stuff when its released. Think I'm going to go digital and can't decide between a kindle or an Ipad mini. Anyone have any suggestion?

Of all the devices I have used to read comics, this is my preference order.

iPad Retina
iPad non-retina ~= iPad Mini Retina
Nexus 7
iPad Mini non-retina

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Of all the devices I have used to read comics, this is my preference order.

iPad Retina
iPad non-retina ~= iPad Mini Retina
Nexus 7
iPad Mini non-retina

Having used both an iPad non-retina and the Nexus 7 I'd actually rate the Nexus 7 above the non-retina iPad. Yes, the iPad has a bigger screen, but the sharpness of the Nexus 7's screen makes for a much better reading experience. Plus the Nexus is lighter and (perhaps more important to me than you) more portable. I read comics on mine on the commute to work, and the smaller form factor and lighter weight is a definite plus. I haven't used the retina iPads but I imagine they have great screens too. So yeah, if portability is a factor for you bear that in mind, but I've been using the Nexus for a few months now and I love reading comics on it.

Mindwipe

Having used both an iPad non-retina and the Nexus 7 I'd actually rate the Nexus 7 above the non-retina iPad. Yes, the iPad has a bigger screen, but the sharpness of the Nexus 7's screen makes for a much better reading experience. Plus the Nexus is lighter and (perhaps more important to me than you) more portable. I read comics on mine on the commute to work, and the smaller form factor and lighter weight is a definite plus. I haven't used the retina iPads but I imagine they have great screens too. So yeah, if portability is a factor for you bear that in mind, but I've been using the Nexus for a few months now and I love reading comics on it.

Yup.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You guys are the best.

Seconded.

And speaking of dope books, I believe my Doom Patrol omni is coming in tomorrow. I can't wait to dig in after I get home.

Awesome. I'm so excited for you. I've still just been keeping my steady pace of 2 issues a day, but it's been relentlessly great.

I've never bought an omnibus. I am gonna buy an omnibus. I have a few in mind for a few months.

You guys think I would enjoy Sin City? Or maybe not. Maybe X-Force.

I have a feeling you wouldn't enjoy Sin City. Couldn't tell you exactly why, but it doesn't seem like it'd be in your wheelhouse. But hey, I could be totally wrong.

Wait. Do you have the X-Statix omnibus!? YOU NEED THE X-STATIX OMNIBUS. You will absolutely love X-Statix if you haven't read it yet. Seriously. That has Messi written all over it.

True, portability isn't that important for me. My problem with the smaller screens (Nexus 7 and iPad Mini) are the two-page spreads (and having to zoom in on some busy pages).

I also have only used the 2012 Nexus 7. I would think the 2013 would be as good as the iPad Mini retina.

Vyer

I would agree with this when it comes to screen resolution. Not really form factor as portability wasn't a big thing for me and the Mini is plenty portable and the difference was negligible. once you get to retina mini all bets are off of course and a full size hi res tablet is a whole other ball game. Specifically for reading comics the N7 fell far behind the retina mini and especially the Air for me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Mini Retina literally changed my life.
I had the same experience with my Nexus. I imagine the mini retina iPad is just as good, if not better. I got a great deal on the Nexus though (discounted and came with £50 of Google Play credit) so that swung it for me. Having said that, being on Android means I can actually use the Comixology app properly to buy comics and so on, which is a plus.

Basically, either the 2013 (or upcoming) Nexus 7 or Mini Retina iPad are going to make your digital comics experience incredible and you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

I had the same experience with my Nexus. I imagine the mini retina iPad is just as good, if not better. I got a great deal on the Nexus though (discounted and came with £50 of Google Play credit) so that swung it for me. Having said that, being on Android means I can actually use the Comixology app properly to buy comics and so on, which is a plus.

Basically, either the 2013 (or upcoming) Nexus 7 or Mini Retina iPad are going to make your digital comics experience incredible and you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

This, I really couldn't go back to my iPad 2. Like it's impossible. I just find the mini to be perfect for any and everything related to reading.

Vyer

I had the same experience with my Nexus. I imagine the mini retina iPad is just as good, if not better. I got a great deal on the Nexus though (discounted and came with £50 of Google Play credit) so that swung it for me. Having said that, being on Android means I can actually use the Comixology app properly to buy comics and so on, which is a plus. .

Unfortunately somewhat negated by the fact it's still the Android phone app on a tablet. Cover Flow while browsing entire runs on an iPad was a beautiful thing. iOS comixology itself was a beautiful thing until they fucked it up. :(

Luckily the individual apps haven't been damaged....yet.

Finally finishing revisiting Alan Moore Swamp Thing. Definitely loses something when Bissette and Totleben leave and Alan Moore like "alright bored now time to do space shit", but even that stuff is good cuz Alan Moore. The first year of the book has a legit case for best American superhero comics of the whole damn decade, and I'm including Moore's own work on Watchmen/Miller's Batman-Daredevil and other such high watermarks. Which means they're some of the best superhero books ever, period.

My man...and this is why I'm going to get my library card and reserve each of the books. I really have to read this.

OK to ask this here?

I know The Punisher had a run that's highly praised, is it Garth Ennis' run? I read it back in the day, Welcome Back Frank, etc. Where do I jump in for this stuff that's regarded well?

Kipp

OK to ask this here?

I know The Punisher had a run that's highly praised, is it Garth Ennis' run? I read it back in the day, Welcome Back Frank, etc. Where do I jump in for this stuff that's regarded well?

All of the Garth Ennis stuff is pretty much considered the definitive Punisher comics. Welcome Back, Frank is a perfect place to start. It's completely self-contained and everything, so it's a great jumping on point. It was my first Punisher comic ever and it was a great introduction. It's also a fantastic book in general. One of my all time favorite superhero books.
Garth Ennis also did a 30-something issue run with Dillon that sort of picks up where Welcome Back, Frank left off, and that's really great.
Generally though, people's favorite Ennis Punisher run was Punisher MAX which--while Welcome Back, Frank and the run following that were really lighthearted and humorous--is a very serious take on Punisher. I personally preferred the more lighthearted and humorous Punisher stuff just because super serious comics don't tend to be my thing, but it was still extremely well done.

In summary though, you can think of Punisher MAX and Welcome Back, Frank (and the 30-something issues that followed that) as two totally separate, standalone entities. You could start at the beginning of Ennis's Punisher MAX run and be totally fine or you could start with Welcome Back, Frank and be totally fine. And I'd definitely recommend all of it if you want to read great Punisher comics.

Edit: In fact, I think I'm going to reread one of my favorite Punisher MAX arcs right now...

Second edit: ViewtifulJC's post is superior to mine.

OK to ask this here?

Ennis started off with Welcome Back Frank, the 12-issue story for the Marvel Knights property, that was in the regular Marvel continuity. He wrote the book the book with Steve Dillion for several issues afterwards before launching into his even more popular run, Punisher MAX. The MAX universe is separate for the regular Marvel universe, and allows creators to do full on R-rated shit without being censored. He did that for 60 issues with a couple of godlike artists like Leandro Fernandez and Goran Parlov, the volumes are easy to follow, that's the one you want. He also did a few minis/one-shots during that timespan, like The End, Born, The Cell, and The Tyger. He would later return do a sequel to Welcome Back Frank with Steve Dillon called War Zone.

Related, Ennis did a trilogy of Nick Fury stories that I highly recommend: Fury MAX(the one George Clooney famously read and was so disgusted he dropped out of playing the character), Peacemaker(details the history of Fury and the Howling Commandos), and my personal favorite, My War Gone By, which just came out in a big nice hardcover.

Lastly, Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon did a run on Punisher MAX that I honestly like even more than Ennis', which introduces Marvel Supervillains into the "realistic" MAX universe such as the Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye. Its pretty great, delving into the psychology of a man like Frank Castle while also providing the definitive story of the Punisher vs Kingpin, the man who represents everything he looks to kill.

edit: beaten...but I have Amazon links mwahaha

Kipp

Ennis started off with Welcome Back Frank, the 12-issue story for the Marvel Knights property, that was in the regular Marvel continuity. He wrote the book the book with Steve Dillion for several issues afterwards before launching into his even more popular run, Punisher MAX. The MAX universe is separate for the regular Marvel universe, and allows creators to do full on R-rated shit without being censored. He did that for 60 issues with a couple of godlike artists like Leandro Fernandez and Goran Parlov, the volumes are easy to follow, that's the one you want. He also did a few minis/one-shots during that timespan, like The End, Born, The Cell, and The Tyger. He would later return do a sequel to Welcome Back Frank with Steve Dillon called War Zone.

Related, Ennis did a trilogy of Nick Fury stories that I highly recommend: Fury MAX(the one George Clooney famously read and was so disgusted he dropped out of playing the character), Peacemaker(details the history of Fury and the Howling Commandos), and my personal favorite, My War Gone By, which just came out in a big nice hardcover.

Lastly, Jason Aaron and Steve Dillon did a run on Punisher MAX that I honestly like even more than Ennis', which introduces Marvel Supervillains into the "realistic" MAX universe such as the Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye. Its pretty great, delving into the psychology of a man like Frank Castle while also providing the definitive story of the Punisher vs Kingpin, the man who represents everything he looks to kill.

edit: beaten...but I have Amazon links mwahaha

I somehow keep forgetting about the Ennis/Dillon War Zone book. I really need to pick that up sometime.

I'm also still really hoping that Aaron PunisherMAX omnibus ends up being one of the clearance omnibuses since it was so overpriced. I'd really like to read that.
Also, fun fact, just checked ebay for that Aaron PunisherMAX omnibus just in case it's gotten cheaper (it hasn't) and one of the Remender Punisher omnibuses came up in the search and had an image of the back of the book and I got to feast my eyes on Birdie's fantastic achievement once again.

And your post is better than mine. Much more thorough and well put together. :p

and Remender's Punisher run is cool if totally different from everything else. Like storming a castle filled with jetpack samurai monster hunters on the back of a dragon with a machine gun, and then landing in the courtyard filled with Nazi zombies as Frank pushes his way in to fight the living embodiment of a Iron Maiden song different

Thanks Kipp and ViewtifulJC! Sounds like Punisher MAX is the one I'm looking for, I'll jump in with that. Full on R-rated shit? Excellent

Kipp

Oh, guys. What is the general consensus on Remender's Winter Soldier mini? Is it top-tier Remender stuff or just average?

Thanks Kipp and ViewtifulJC! Sounds like Punisher MAX is the one I'm looking for, I'll jump in with that. Full on R-rated shit? Excellent

No worries! I hope you enjoy it!
I'm re-reading the Mother Russia arc from that run right now. So great.
I actually think I'm enjoying it more now than when I first read it. When I first read it I was expecting something more along the lines of the Ennis/Dillon Punisher stuff, so I was caught off guard a little bit. Punisher MAX is super good though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Alternatively, if you want a real grounded and tactical approach to to the Punisher, Greg Rucka put out 4 volumes (1,2,3, and War Zone) that are a complete story. It's a slow-burn, and there are some more clinical moments, but it's great and Punisher-ette joins Frank and provides an interesting juxtaposition/mirror for Frank and his constant war.

Oh, also, Chechetto's art is really fucking dope--when he's on the book.

Kipp

Somewhere in between. It's not like God Tier but it's good little story.

Yep. I really enjoyed it. But it's not next level good.

Perfectly fine spy adventure story sounds about right. Don't go in there expecting lots of bucky tho

Thanks, guys. I think I might put in an IST order for Hellboy Library Edition vol 2 and Criminal Deluxe Edition vol 1. Since the Winter Soldier TPB was released this week, it's got a nice 50% discount putting it at $8.50, so it's tempting. If I do go through with the order, I'll probably just keep it to those two books though, since I really don't want to be spending much money on this one. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom