• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered a Greg Capullo Batman figure :))
dc_designer_capullo_s1_bm_af-610x762.jpg
And I needed $9 for free shipping,,, soo I got this lol
Getting some Batman stuff for my new man cave! Just bought a house moving September 5th.

-

This Zero Year Greg Capullo Batman figure is awesome. Ill forsure get this closer to its release date (3/18/15)

Grant goes, “How’s it going?” and I said, “It’s going fine, I appreciate it.” And he was just like, “How’s it really going?” He understands that it’s intimidating. I said, “I’m having a really hard time, man,” and he gave me his number and said, “If you ever want to call and talk…” I really appreciated that

awesome

Just finishing up my 99cent month of Marvel Unlimited.

I think this is the thing that's gonna get me to actually get into comics. I've tried a few times but never really dove in. Having a month of so many good comics (I read Infinity Gauntlet, the New Guardians of the Galaxy, House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Age of Ultron, Kree-Skrull War, Death of Gwen Stacy) I really want to dive into the more recent comics.

I think this is the thing that's gonna get me to actually get into comics. I've tried a few times but never really dove in. Having a month of so many good comics (I read Infinity Gauntlet, the New Guardians of the Galaxy, House of M, Avengers Disassembled, Age of Ultron, Kree-Skrull War, Death of Gwen Stacy) I really want to dive into the more recent comics.

Man... If you liked Age of Ultron some of Marvel's current stuff is going to just blow you away.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. That Mother Russia arc of Ennis's Punisher MAX is one of my all-time favorite arcs. Just incredible.
It's a rare story that keeps me totally engrossed for 6 issues straight, but that one sure did.

awesome

Morrison is the man.

nice.

we were just talking about it, but if you want to jump into current Marvel/Avengers/New Avengers/whatever, I recommend starting with Jonathan Hickman's complete run on Fantastic Four/FF, or if you want to go even further back (worth it), start with Abnett & Lanning's cosmic run from Annihilation onwards. Read the cosmic stuff, then Hickman's FF, then jump into Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

Kipp

Long overdo, but with all the recent Brubaker/Phillips talk hyping me up, I finally did the right thing.

Dammit now I want to re read Final Crisis.

Is that "New Edition" the best one to get? Its got the batman + superman tie ins in it...

Yep! The new edition is what you want. It's also got all the bonus stuff that was in the Absolute Edition. And it's very reasonably priced. Go for it!

Oh my goodness. That Mother Russia arc of Ennis's Punisher MAX is one of my all-time favorite arcs. Just incredible.
It's a rare story that keeps me totally engrossed for 6 issues straight, but that one sure did.

Morrison is the man.

DUDE I just read that for the first time a few days ago and I couldn't believe how great it was. I know everyone kept talking about how awesome the Punish Max stuff was but i wasn't prepared

Kipp

yes, and it also has some new pages that clarify/expand some muddy/rushed moments

Nice mash-up between your old and new avatars! :p

DUDE I just read that for the first time a few days ago and I couldn't believe how great it was. I know everyone kept talking about how awesome the Punish Max stuff was but i wasn't prepared

Isn't it fantastic!? I really enjoyed Punisher MAX as a whole, but that arc in particular just had me absolutely thrilled and glued to the pages.

Man... If you liked Age of Ultron some of Marvel's current stuff is going to just blow you away.

I liked the story but there's something I sense with modern comics is that they're story telling is far to hard to follow for the uninitiated. For example one of my other attempts to dive into comics was House of M in middle/high school. I had no idea what was going on but re-reading it now having read avengers disassembled and knowing a bit more about charcters I didn't grow up watching on TV (the Xmen, Spiderman, etc) it made it a much more enjoyable read.

I love a lot of the older stuff because the story was much easier to follow (even something like infinite gauntlet where I had no idea who Adam Warlock was). I can't really describe it but there was a sense that I didn't have to bring as much to the reading. I didn't need to wiki some of these characters or names they were dropping.

Age of Ultron I had to constantly re-read things and look up characters I didn't know. And I hate how final surprises are not not explained. I had no idea who Angela was until I looked it up. Had the same issue with Flashpoint, I had no idea what those three worlds were.

I liked the story but there's something I sense with modern comics is that they're story telling is far to hard to follow for the uninitiated. For example one of my other attempts to dive into comics was House of M in middle/high school. I had no idea what was going on but re-reading it now having read avengers disassembled and knowing a bit more about charcters I didn't grow up watching on TV (the Xmen, Spiderman, etc) it made it a much more enjoyable read.

I love a lot of the older stuff because the story was much easier to follow (even something like infinite gauntlet where I had no idea who Adam Warlock was). I can't really describe it but there was a sense that I didn't have to bring as much to the reading. I didn't need to wiki some of these characters or names they were dropping.

Age of Ultron I had to constantly re-read things and look up characters I didn't know. And I hate how final surprises are not not explained. I had no idea who Angela was until I looked it up. Had the same issue with Flashpoint, I had no idea what those three worlds were.

Age of Ultron is just a narrative mess, one of the worst Marvel events in recent history.

Kipp

I liked the story but there's something I sense with modern comics is that they're story telling is far to hard to follow. I love a lot of the older stuff because the story was much easier to follow (even something like infinite gauntlet where I had no idea who Adam Warlock was). I can't really discribe it but there was a sense that I didn't have to bring as much to the reading.

That probably has something to do with the fact that in the past, comics did a lot more self-contained or one-and-done stories. Although, to be fair, there are definitely a lot of modern comics that are very easy to follow as well. There's not really a blanket statement that applies to modern comics in general since there's such diversity within modern comics. You just have to work out which writers suit you best.

nice.

we were just talking about it, but if you want to jump into current Marvel/Avengers/New Avengers/whatever, I recommend starting with Jonathan Hickman's complete run on Fantastic Four/FF, or if you want to go even further back (worth it), start with Abnett & Lanning's cosmic run from Annihilation onwards. Read the cosmic stuff, then Hickman's FF, then jump into Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers.

I'm not digging as much the cosmic stuff as I think I should.

I loved the guardians move but that's literally my first exposure to it. I got my exposure to superheros and the marvel and DC world through the 90s animated cartoons. They never really tackled that. I'm gonna keep trying but I just don't have the connection with the characters I do to the earth centered stories.

I did like Infinite Gauntlet though. I love Thanos always screwing himself. Its hilarious

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished Star-Lord #1 and #2 and Rocket Racoon #1 and #2.

Didnt really dig Star-Lord, but I have the feeling that the series would be food on the long run.

Rocket Racoon was awesome. Normally, I hate Characters who are always joking and never are serious, but Scottie Young did everything right with this one. So excited for the Trade :D

That probably has something to do with the fact that in the past, comics did a lot more self-contained or one-and-done stories. Although, to be fair, there are definitely a lot of modern comics that are very easy to follow as well. There's not really a blanket statement that applies to modern comics in general since there's such diversity within modern comics. You just have to work out which writers suit you best.

Yeah definitely, it just feels like there's much more work

The stories I want to stick to are Spiderman (both Ultimate and the standard
Peter is back right?
), Avengers, Captain America on Marvel's side (does black panther have a comic because I want to dig into him) and Batman and Superman with a bit of the wider justice league on DC.

I also need to read more non superhero comic. I really want to read saga. I liked y- last of men when I read it awhile ago, loved scott prilgrim. Also go East of West in a humble bundle but not digging its themes. Not a big fan of apocalyptic stuff.

Age of Ultron is just a narrative mess, one of the worst Marvel events in recent history.

I liked the general outline but . I read Days of Future past and that time travel was so much easier to follow. I also am still confused how this event was the thing that started messing with the multiverse. It seemed like it was pulled out of nowhere and was just stated. (I might have missed some preludes though)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
yes, and it also has some new pages that clarify/expand some muddy/rushed moments

Are those pages in the Absolute as well, because I'm looking to own a giant, expensive ass version of Final Crisis?

Kipp

Are those pages in the Absolute as well, because I'm looking to own a giant, expensive ass version of Final Crisis?

Yeah. The new TPB printing is the Absolute Edition in paperback form.
Also, I support that decision. Such a big, epic event deserves to be read in a big, epic format.

Just finished Star-Lord #1 and #2 and Rocket Racoon #1 and #2.

Didnt really dig Star-Lord, but I have the feeling that the series would be food on the long run.

Rocket Racoon was awesome. Normally, I hate Characters who are always joking and never are serious, but Scottie Young did everything right with this one. So excited for the Trade :D

I hope you saw the Southern Basterds Reference in the first issue.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah. The new TPB printing is the Absolute Edition in paperback form.
Also, I support that decision. Such a big, epic event deserves to be read in a big, epic format.

Cool, thanks. Just put in a fucking huge order. Damn you ViewtifulJC and your Frank Miller Sunday Specials.

tim1138

Aren't we all? Once I grab the Absolute edition, I will have officially triple dipped on Final Crisis (already have it in the original HC and digitally). I may have a problem...

Even with serialized elements older comments used to do a lot more recapping and reintroducing the characters just about every issue. I think one of Jim Shooter's mantras at Marvel was "Every issue is someone's first issue."

Even with serialized elements older comments used to do a lot more recapping and reintroducing the characters just about every issue. I think one of Jim Shooter's mantras at Marvel was "Every issue is someone's first issue."

Yeah and they still do that with a lot of books, a short recap often happens at the beginning of every arc. But that doesn't usually happen with events like AoU and overall that book did a poor job of providing context to someone who's not already aware of everyone involved.

Filthy Slug

Aren't we all? Once I grab the Absolute edition, I will have officially triple dipped on Final Crisis (already have it in the original HC and digitally). I may have a problem...

Haha--but how many copies of Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge do you own?

Not even gonna lie, if they released an Absolute of those 3 issues, I'd buy it instantly.

Kipp

Cool, thanks. Just put in a fucking huge order. Damn you ViewtifulJC and your Frank Miller Sunday Specials.

Awesome. What all did you get?

Haha--but how many copies of Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge do you own?

Not even gonna lie, if they released an Absolute of those 3 issues, I'd buy it instantly.
I have to recommend Joe Casey/Chriscross' Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance if you were a fan of the Super Young Team like I was

Now I feel bad that I didn't read any of the non-Morrison Final Crisis stuff.
It'd be nice if DC put out a new Final Crisis Companion TPB that collected all of the non-Morrison stuff.

PsychBat!

Banned
I liked the general outline but . I read Days of Future past and that time travel was so much easier to follow. I also am still confused how this event was the thing that started messing with the multiverse. It seemed like it was pulled out of nowhere and was just stated. (I might have missed some preludes though)
Time travel hijinks by Wolverine broke the time stream. It repaired itself albeit imperfectly with characters being displaced in time and space. Age of Ultron was garbage. It was a project Bendis was looking forward to do for a long time and even finished it before he presented it to the rest of the Marvel Comics staff. The plot is awful and incoherent, I'm just trying to think what Bendis had in mind in the beginning and middle of the story and it goes in to another direction entirely with the conclusion.

AoU was worse than Secret Invasion.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, Comic GAF, how do you store your original art pieces? I'm thinking of buying, like... A portafolio? Some plastic bags/sleeves? Something, I guess? I honestly have no idea. Googling seems to throw some mixed responses to the subject in question.

Filthy Slug

Awesome. What all did you get?

Now I feel bad that I didn't read any of the non-Morrison Final Crisis stuff.
It'd be nice if DC put out a new Final Crisis Companion TPB that collected all of the non-Morrison stuff.

You should check out Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge. It's the comic that made me understand and love The Rogues. I think Johns gets that group of villains better than anybody else, and it's the reason I pick up Justice League currently--small glimpses of Johns Captain Cold are all I need, maaan.

Also, I grabbed Absolute Final Crisis, the Miller/Klausen Daredevil omnibus, Vimanarama, and the Fury Max HC.

When you get it can you tell me if there's a quote from me in there? I heard there was but I've never been able to check

NO
Sure, buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom