• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh yeah, could someone point out where one should start with hickman's FF?

It looks like the Hickman Fantastic Four omnibus begins with Dark Reign: Fantastic Four 1-5, then the Doctor Doom story from the Dark Reign: The Cabal One-Shot. Then after that, you start reading Fantastic Four proper. And that seems to be Fantastic Four 570-588. And then you read FF 1-11, then Fantastic Four 600-604, then FF 12-23, then Fantastic Four 605-611.
I haven't actually read it though (just did some googling and looking at the omnibus contents), so it'd be good to get some confirmation that this is correct from someone who has.

Edit:
Kipp's reading order is a bit off.

Fantastic Four 570-588
FF 1-11
Fantastic Four 600
Then Fantastic Four and FF sort of cover the same events from different character viewpoints for the rest of their runs (Fantastic Four 601-611 and FF 12-23), so alternate between them. I'm not sure if the Omnibus is in order or not.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It looks like the Hickman Fantastic Four omnibus begins with Dark Reign: Fantastic Four 1-5, then the Doctor Doom story from the Dark Reign: The Cabal One-Shot. Then after that, you start reading Fantastic Four proper. And that seems to be Fantastic Four 570-588. And then you read FF 1-11, then Fantastic Four 600-604, then FF 12-23, then Fantastic Four 605-611.
I haven't actually read it though (just did some googling and looking at the omnibus contents), so it'd be good to get some confirmation that this is correct from someone who has.

COLLECTING: Dark Reign : Fantastic Four 1-5, Dark Reign : The Cabal, Fantastic Four 570-588, FF 1-5

COLLECTING: FF 6-23; FANTASTIC FOUR 600-611, 605.1

Thats the content of the two Hickmann FF Omnibusses, who collects the whole run, it seems you are right ;)

Edit: Welp, maybe I should read your whole post,I did the same like you :D

Ye gods, what happened to Mark Waid? Guy did a great to passable run with his 20 issues of Indestructible Hulk, so i finally got around to reading Hulk 2014.

"hey, you know how the best parts of i.h. were banner egotripping? yeah, let us have none of that."

Really didn't expect it to be this trashy =/

Oh yeah, could someone point out where one should start with hickman's FF?

Start with Fantastic four 570 and follow that to The FF run and to both to the end.

tim1138

Variants for the next issue of Multiversity.

Frazier Irving
MULTIVERSITY-irving-variant-final.jpg

Guillem March

Zombine

Banned
I just made a Mary Jane Chocolate Shake with about $15 of Mother Earth in it. Once it kicks in I'm going to try and make sense of Supreme Blue Rose.

I'm taking one for the team tonight

kswiston

Thanks for the help, guys!

Oh, hey, Dr. Green. sigh.

Kipp's reading order is a bit off.

Fantastic Four 570-588
FF 1-11
Fantastic Four 600
Then Fantastic Four and FF sort of cover the same events from different character viewpoints for the rest of their runs (Fantastic Four 601-611 and FF 12-23), so alternate between them. I'm not sure if the Omnibus is in order or not.

Kipp

OH. MY. GOODNESS.
I just read my new favorite single issue of all time.

Doom Patrol #34 - The Soul of a New Machine

That was the most hilarious, clever, and enjoyable single issue I think I've ever read. I was smiling the whole way through the issue. Every single panel and every single line of dialogue had me thoroughly entertained and just made me happy.
I don't want to go into any detail, because I know a handful of you guys are reading Doom Patrol for the first time right now and I wouldn't want to spoil anything even in the slightest so that you can enjoy it as much as I did, but oh my goodness.
Just the premise of the issue itself was hilarious enough
an ape and a brain in a jar being best friends and philosophy enthusiasts
, but then the dialogue and everything else was just perfect, too.

But seriously, all of you guys who've already read Doom Patrol, was that not the greatest issue ever!?
This is why I absolutely love comics.

Man, Doom Patrol is amazing.

Kiss me Mallah!

I think everybody who has read that issue enjoys it, its got a 100% success rate. Sets up all its little jokes and emotional payoffs and knocks them down in a breezy, effortless way. I really should have seen the gum covering the hole in the jar coming, but I didn't, and it made the symmetry of the issue even more hilarious.

Hagi

I saw the Omni today for Doom Patrol and it looks a lot more ridiculous in person. Props to those of you that can read a book that size with ease, I think I'm going to go with the trades as I'd really like to read the series.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
OH. MY. GOODNESS.
I just read my new favorite single issue of all time.

Doom Patrol #34 - The Soul of a New Machine.
Definitely the most sincerely hilarious comic I have read. That one and done is comic perfection. It's classic comedy, in a Looney Toons sort of way, but incredibly smart and charming.

Kipp

Kiss me Mallah!

I think everybody who has read that issue enjoys it, its got a 100% success rate. Sets up all its little jokes and emotional payoffs and knocks them down in a breezy, effortless way. I really should have seen the gum covering the hole in the jar coming, but I didn't, and it made the symmetry of the issue even more hilarious.
Definitely the most sincerely hilarious comic I have read. That one and done is comic perfection. It's classic comedy, in a Looney Toons sort of way, but incredibly smart and charming.

I'm so glad to hear that you guys enjoyed it as much as me, because it was just pure joy for me to read.
I would mention favorite parts of that issue (such as the part Viewtiful spoilered), but it would just end up as a play-by-play of the whole issue. I've never read such a relentlessly perfect, funny, and entertaining single issue.

And I didn't think about that gum symmetry! Hah. Too good.

I think that issue solidified my absolute love of Morrison's Doom Patrol run. I even just went online searching for Doom Patrol statues and figures to have something from the run to have on my shelf, but was disappointed to find that no statues exist and the only figures that exist are ones with the cartoony designs from Justice League Unlimited.
With one exception, this Robot Man figure. I found one I could buy for $13.50 shipped, so I'm pretty tempted.

Hey guys, as something trying to get back into comics and mostly just reading up on back issues through Marvel Unlimited, would you recommend reading Multiversity? I have little to no knowledge of DC minus some Batman trades I read years back, but man you guys are getting me hyped on this thing, but I'm not really even sure what it is.

P.S. I started reading Superior Foes last night due to seeing it mentioned in this thread all the time and I fell in love after just the first two issues.

Zombine

Banned
Drunk Messi!

Your new avatar is amazing as hell

Hey guys, as something trying to get back into comics and mostly just reading up on back issues through Marvel Unlimited, would you recommend reading Multiversity? I have little to no knowledge of DC minus some Batman trades I read years back, but man you guys are getting me hyped on this thing, but I'm not really even sure what it is.

P.S. I started reading Superior Foes last night due to seeing it mentioned in this thread all the time and I fell in love after just the first two issues.

You can read it, but you may want to read through Final crisis first. There's a sale going on on comixology right now that'll help you out. The only Action comic issue on sale is really the prologue to the event.

Kipp

You'd probably enjoy it most if you read Final Crisis beforehand, which is worth reading anyways.
I read Final Crisis as pretty much my first DC comic with the exception of a handful of the basic Batman comics and I really enjoyed it, so going from that to Multiversity would probably be a good way to go.

Content-wise, is there any reason to pick up the Doom Patrol omnibus over the paperbacks? I wanna read Doom Patrol but that omni ain't cheap, and those things aren't exactly the best way to read comics. I don't have a recliner, so i can't really use the Kipp method

ReAxion

Your new avatar is amazing as hell

You can read it, but you may want to read through Final crisis first. There's a sale going on on comixology right now that'll help you out. The only Action comic issue on sale is really the prologue to the event.

Is it just Final Crisis 1-7?

Kipp

Okay, people who've read Doom Patrol, which of these should I make my new avatar?
This one?
Or this one?

Content-wise, is there any reason to pick up the Doom Patrol omnibus over the paperbacks? I wanna read Doom Patrol but that omni ain't cheap, and those things aren't exactly the best way to read comics. I don't have a recliner, so i can't really use the Kipp method

I don't think the omnibus has any bonus stuff besides the foreword. I just checked the back real quick (didn't check thoroughly because I didn't want to accidentally spoil myself) and I didn't see any bonus material.
However, one other thing to consider is that the TPBs have that cheap newsprint-type paper, so the colors are going to be pretty dull. The omnibus has typical glossy paper which makes the colors pop much better. Not sure if that makes enough of a difference to you or not.

Zombine

Banned
Okay, people who've read Doom Patrol, which of these should I make my new avatar?
This one?
Or this one?

I don't think the omnibus has any bonus stuff besides the foreword. I just checked the back real quick (didn't check thoroughly because I didn't want to accidentally spoil myself) and I didn't see any bonus material.
However, one other thing to consider is that the TPBs have that cheap newsprint-type paper, so the colors are going to be pretty dull. The omnibus has typical glossy paper which makes the colors pop much better. Not sure if that makes enough of a difference to you or not.

Lol man clearly the first one.

arkon

They're probably gonna do deluxe editions but that'll be way off yet going by the timeline from Invisibles omnibus to Invisibles deluxe editions. Paperbacks if you can find all of them are a perfectly good alternative to the omnibus.

This week's IST order is placed. Outside Fallen Angel and Final crisis they're all trades and runs that I haven't read before. With many being more niche comics that always have intrigued me

HACK SLASH OMNIBUS TP VOL 01
FINAL CRISIS TP NEW EDITION (I had the older trade, this is all your fault comicGAF)
FALLEN ANGEL (DC) VOL 2 DOWN TO EARTH
JLA PRESENTS AZTEK THE ULTIMATE MAN
JSA PRESENTS STARS AND STRIPE VOL 2
KA-ZAR BY MARK WAID & ANDY KUBERT TP VOL 01
KA-ZAR BY MARK WAID AND ANDY KUBERT TP VOL 02
SOLO DELUXE ED HC

LosDaddie

Banned
Prepare for confusion. Like every DC event. :D

Word.

I have the DC 1 Million omnibus, and it was a little confusing. Still a good read though.

Woo!
Worst case scenario, you end up regretting it, put it up on ebay, and sell it for $200ish and make a profit.

Yeah.
And I keep telling the wife that I should buy 2 copies of these omnibi so that I can sell the second copy at a profit. Does she listen? NO

They're probably gonna do deluxe editions but that'll be way off yet going by the timeline from Invisibles omnibus to Invisibles deluxe editions. Paperbacks if you can find all of them are a perfectly good alternative to the omnibus.

Gotcha. The paperbacks aren't too hard to find (3-6 on IST, 1-4 +6 on Amazon) but i didn't even consider the paper quality and how it affects the colors. That's pretty big to me. Gonna wait til my birthday rolls around in a few months. Thanks y'all.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Gotcha. The paperbacks aren't too hard to find (3-6 on IST, 1-4 +6 on Amazon) but i didn't even consider the paper quality and how it affects the colors. That's pretty big to me. Gonna wait til my birthday rolls around in a few months. Thanks y'all.
I have the newspaper quality trades and honestly, the coloring and art is still damn good. Obviously deluxe edition paper will way strengthen everything, but it's still entirely enjoyable in regular ass trades. Basically, you can't lose buying ANY version of Morrison and Case's Doom Patrol.

Awww yea. New issue of Bandette came out this week. Please tell me others are reading this amazing series. 99 cent digital issues on day one! All catwoman/Harley fans would love this one for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom