• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Everyone in the behind the scenes of Batman Bad Blood looks dead inside. Why do they continue this line?

Why is it so hard for any adaptation to have a good Nightwing design

What's wrong with the current design? Looks fine. Same with the Young Justice design aside from really leaning into Phil Bourassa's odd proportions.
tumblr_nm6fzry1gY1qa8jfto1_400.gif

b1ea551fbee600be4ab4afef03fe91e3.jpg

Also Ki Hyun Ryu (Legend of Korra) did a bunch of design-work for a Nightwing series that was never greenlit before Young Justice got the 'go'.

nightwingconcept02.jpg

Finally got my comics from last week today.

Secret Wars was good. A slower issue but still quite a lot to take in. "Undying love and eternal patience are not the same thing, child." Doom for Parent of the Year.

Lando was great again. It's worth buying for Maleev's art alone and that ending was brilliant. It's definitely my favourite of the Star Wars limited series' so far.

... This would have been to easy and I wanted to kick off a Turtles discussion :D

Thanks^^

They've been releasing these Ultimate collections that I've always been curious about. I think there are about 8 of them so far and they're OHCs.

I can't really speak on the quality of the old series, personally.

Tizoc

They've been releasing these Ultimate collections that I've always been curious about. I think there are about 8 of them so far and they're OHCs.

It had some great moments and one just needs to appreciate the art for what it is.
If you watched the first movie or watched the 2003 cartoon you'll discover both of those took inspiration from the original comic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Exactly what I am looking for :D
Also, I really need to watch the movie.

Action Comics #13 - #18: That is it? I had to sit through 15 mediocre to boring issues for that? Interesting idea I guess, but for Doom Patrol Morrison it would have been about 5 panels interspersed between old arcs and then a 4 issue main arc. What a waste of my time.

A couple of the backup issues were pretty decent.

It had some great moments and one just needs to appreciate the art for what it is.
If you watched the first movie or watched the 2003 cartoon you'll discover both of those took inspiration from the original comic.

That's pretty cool. I saw the films when I was a kid, don't remember much; I remember the live action series more. And I watched a decent chunk of the 2003 series, as well. I should definitely check it out.

I hate that. It stops you from catching up.

I'm equally miffed. I devoured the first OHC and now I have to wait...

DC's numbering on books has gotten weird. Cameron's Batgirl and Yang's Superman are considered vol. 1 even though the issues weren't relaunched to #1 and John's Superman run doesn't look like is numbered as if it was it's own one-shot story. Even Snyder's Batman, starting with the RoboBat arc is getting a vol. 1.

Edit: I was wrong. Snyder's RoboBat arc has vol. 8 on it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This is Kipp we're talking about here. He only spends enough for one hobby at any given time.

Notice how he's stopped talking about bouldering since he started reading comics again.

I've still been bouldering consistently, but now when I want to talk to you guys, I can talk about comics rather than just having to resort to talking about whatever else. Haha
But with that said, I have been slightly less enthusiastic about bouldering lately... But that's not bouldering's fault, it's my stupid brain's fault for deciding that no, I don't need to have any energy or enthusiasm or any of that bullshit. It's hard to exercise with no energy. Luckily it's much easier to read comics with no energy.
My love for bouldering will be back in full force soon enough though. Bouldering will not go away.

When is the next IDW hardcover turtles collection for the current series. The first one is so cool.

I still really, really need to pick this OHC up. Ever since I read the Micro Series TPB from the library and absolutely adored it, I've been so excited about the OHC.

So I read some comics over the weekend,, some short thoughts...

All-Star Section 8 #6 was decent. Its a good fun/goofy book
Batman Beyond #3 was ok.. just not doing much for me. As of now will drop after this arc
Black Widow #20.. really the cat tho...
Constantine The Hellblazer #3 I was excited for this book with Venesa Del Ray on art.. but I just didn't care for the book overall. Dropping
Daredevil #17 was a good read as always. Whats their last issue ?
Dark Corridor #1 It was a decent read, couple short gritty stories. Probably tpb wait the rest
Descender #6 was great. Gorgeous art and I really like where the story has been going.
Fade Out #8 was also really good. Felt this was one of the best issues.. pulled me back in
God Hates Astronauts #10 I love this book still. Always a good fun read
Southern Bastards #10 was fucked up as always.. so yeah I loved it
Star Wars Lando #2 was good. This book has been everything I expected with Charles Soule and Alex Maleev
Still have a bunch of books to get through

Also got my Babs Tarr Batgirl statue in,, I really don't think the face is that bad in person.
(crap picture)

This weeks pull list

ARCHIE COMICS:
ARCHIE #2

DC COMICS:
BIZARRO #3/6
JUSTICE LEAGUE #43
ROBIN SON OF BATMAN #3

IDW:
T.M.N.T. #49

IMAGE:
EMPTY ZONE #3
RAT QUEENS #11
STRAY BULLETS SUNSHINE AND ROSES #7
WOLF #2

MARVEL:
1872 #2 (dropped)
STAR WARS #8
WEIRD WORLD #3

So I read basically no comics this weekend since I was out to see my sister/go to a party for her since she's back from the Peace Corps. Only the second time I've seen her in person in almost two and a half years. But since it can't all be fun I had to deal with sizable backups going both directions because of accidents. The one on Sunday involved a car upside down resting against the guardrail in the median.

Kipp

(Where's my She-Hulk OHC marvel?)

Right!?
The funny thing is that while everyone else wishes those Wimberley issues didn't exist, those are the main ones I'm looking forward to.

So I read basically no comics this weekend since I was out to see my sister/go to a party for her since she's back from the Peace Corps. Only the second time I've seen her in person in almost two and a half years. But since it can't all be fun I had to deal with sizable backups going both directions because of accidents. The one on Sunday involved a car upside down resting against the guardrail in the median.

Glad to hear you got to see your sister! I hope you had a nice time.
Sorry to hear about the traffic. Traffic is probably my least favorite thing in the entire world. Just that feeling that it's going to take forever to get to your destination and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Messi

Right!?
The funny thing is that while everyone else wishes those Wimberley issues didn't exist, those are the main ones I'm looking forward to.

Sorry to hear about the traffic. Traffic is probably my least favorite thing in the entire world. Just that feeling that it's going to take forever to get to your destination and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Those issues were so jarring. They didn't fit at all and he made Jen look like a meth addict.

Boogiepop

Classic TMNT is interesting. It's very, very much an indie comic. If you're cool with that, I'd ABSOLUTELY recommend the Ultimate (or I believe there's also colorized versions in a line called "The Works" or something to that effect), which is the stuff by the actual creators of the series. This is the good, "Classic" Turtles stuff. There's 5 volumes that go to the end of the run, though they are coming out with a sixth volume that collects short stories and stuff (it's coming out way later and honestly feels like a bit of a cash in. I'll buy it, but it's almost certainly non essential)

The "Classics" line linked earlier is the (colorized) version of the rest of the stuff, starting with the gaps in the original run and now covering the sequel "volume 2" run. And it's honestly kind of a mixed bag. A few great ones, a number that are acceptable, some kind of eh. Only grab these if you want more, IMO.

And one thing that's easy to miss: if you finish the ultimates and want more, grab the first two Tales of the TMNT volumes. They're absolutely part of that main original run. The following Tales of the TMNT are part of later continuity, though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And one thing that's easy to miss: if you finish the ultimates and want more, grab the first two Tales of the TMNT volumes. They're absolutely part of that main original run. The following Tales of the TMNT are part of later continuity, though.

Is this the book that were made by one of the creators?

Kipp

Hey Sillymonkey, I made you something nice:

OV4X6an.png

Classic TMNT is interesting. It's very, very much an indie comic. If you're cool with that, I'd ABSOLUTELY recommend the Ultimate (or I believe there's also colorized versions in a line called "The Works" or something to that effect), which is the stuff by the actual creators of the series. This is the good, "Classic" Turtles stuff. There's 5 volumes that go to the end of the run, though they are coming out with a sixth volume that collects short stories and stuff (it's coming out way later and honestly feels like a bit of a cash in. I'll buy it, but it's almost certainly non essential)

The "Classics" line linked earlier is the (colorized) version of the rest of the stuff, starting with the gaps in the original run and now covering the sequel "volume 2" run. And it's honestly kind of a mixed bag. A few great ones, a number that are acceptable, some kind of eh. Only grab these if you want more, IMO.

Ooh, that sounds interesting! Thanks for the recommendation! The main turn off for me is that the Works/Ultimate hardcovers are $35 for 300 pages... That's some steep pricing. Maybe I'll pick one up eventually though.

The big issue with super stop and go traffic for me is how mentally draining it is because your awareness needs to be far higher than when the flow of traffic is more smooth.

Boogiepop

Is this the book that were made by one of the creators?
It was a book that ran alternating with the main one for like 7 issues, but it did introduce a number of key characters and is honestly a good bit more important/enjoyable than most of the stuff from the Classic line. It's not by the original creators though, IIRC.

Working my way through Hellbro, up to the Conquistador Wyrm.

On one hand, it is quite refreshing how no one, not even dudes living in the middle of nowhere, particularly cares about Hellboy's appearance.

On the other hand, seems that the world has no racism.

Dunno, it appears to add about as much as it subtracts.

I'm playing through Life is Strabge with my sister. We're doing episode 4 next. Probably going to be my GOTY. Anyone play it? I'm sure Freeza does, of course.

1) Strawberries
2) Grapes
3) Bananas

I've played all 4 episodes over the last week. I don't know if it's my GOTY, but it will be in my thoughts.

I own it all but haven't played it yet.

You really should, you would love it.

It's fine that they don't like TV, but as a person that likes all of the TV, I find it baffling and strange and wonder what his family sits around and looks at in the evening.

I don't like much TV either. My family watches TV, but they don't really watch a lot of dramas or anything. Mostly cookery, houses, that kind of stuff.

Let's not talk about Trump for president. Please.

Trump/Kripp 2016

We BlogGAF now

We were always BlogGAF.

Working my way through Hellbro, up to the Conquistador Wyrm.

On one hand, it is quite refreshing how no one, not even dudes living in the middle of nowhere, particularly cares about Hellboy's appearance.

On the other hand, seems that the world has no racism.

Dunno, it appears to add about as much as it subtracts.

At some/one point BPRD/Abe/HB make national headlines so I assumed everyone knew about them. If Hellboy existed IRL, one appearance on camera would likely be global news, and he's been doing it for forty years at that point.

Owzers

I didn't want to be the one to say this but maybe we should stop reading comics? Let's all watch Summer Slam and talk about Walking Dead tv shows.

I wouldn't mind an HD remake of this:

Ultimate_Spider-Man_boxart.jpg
Great game. I saw some postings about XML2:RoA...Y'all are speaking my language. Also, I'm replaying (for like the tenth time since it's come out) through Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Gold Edition...It has technical issues, but boy is it fun.
What issues do I need from I, Vampire? The second trade starts with a crossover, right?
Fuck if I know. Didn't even know that was a crossover. Just thought it was a random story arc. Makes a lot more sense now, though.
Also Ki Hyun Ryu (Legend of Korra) did a bunch of design-work for a Nightwing series that was never greenlit before Young Justice got the 'go'.

nightwingconcept02.jpg

WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THIS? YOU SUNNUVABITCH

Top Bottom