• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm gonna stop by a comics shop that I haven't been to (Sky High Comics, if you were curious, ReAxion) on my way home from work today. Maaaaybe I'll buy something. We'll see.

At some/one point BPRD/Abe/HB make national headlines so I assumed everyone knew about them. If Hellboy existed IRL, one appearance on camera would likely be global news, and he's been doing it for forty years at that point.
Didn't the Brazillian citizens in Hellboy and The BPRD 1952 believe him to be a demon? Kinda goes hand in hand with what you're saying too. Everyone basically knows who he is by now in the main book.

I'm going to try to remember to watch that NXT Takeover thing Saturday.

Good man. Balor and Owens are going to tear the house down. I might watch SummerSlam as well, but two 4AM nights in a row would probably kill me.

Really, I'm just excited for NXT in a big arena with a rabid crowd of wrestling geeks. The NXT Arena has gotten a bit up itself the last few months.

Let's all watch The Knick and Mr Robot instead. Tuck in our shirts a bit.

Fuck The Knick (I always wanted to say that)

Messi

I'm gonna stop by a comics shop that I haven't been to (Sky High Comics, if you were curious, ReAxion) on my way home from work today. Maaaaybe I'll buy something. We'll see.

I predict this ends in you spending $0

Don't get the Archie hype. I only bought the #1 because it had Waid and Fiona.

I loved it because of Waid and Fiona personally. Not sure if I'll continue when Fiona leaves. Depends on who takes over.

Zombine

Banned
Please let us know what it's like once you read it. I no longer trust Zombeen after he shit talked Saga last night.

I wasn't a super huge fan of Empty Zone either but it was the first issue. The art is stellar and very dream like. I wasn't particularly shitting on Saga, I just think it can be better.

Messi

I wasn't a super huge fan of Empty Zone either but it was the first issue. The art is stellar and very dream like. I wasn't particularly shitting on Saga, I just think it can be better.

Don't try to back away from your disgraceful opinions now. That's not the Zombeen we know.

Anyone other than zombert read empty zone?

Yeah read #1
I thought it was pretty cool, honestly don't remember the story a ton, but liked the concept.
The art is awesome, very gritty.
unnamed-2-20635-580x872.jpg

Ordered Death of the Family to read tonight. As a new reader of comics, I'm starting with Batman stuff as that's my favorite. Jumped in with the start of the Gordon as Bats arc, but am reading through all of the New 52 Batman trades to fill in the blanks. Court of Owls was fantastic!

Ignoring discussion of the story of Saga, is there something weird going on with the backgrounds? It sometimes felt like they were done by someone else and then layered below the art. Or is that a style choice?

Ordered Death of the Family to read tonight. As a new reader of comics, I'm starting with Batman stuff as that's my favorite. Jumped in with the start of the Gordon as Bats arc, but am reading through all of the New 52 Batman trades to fill in the blanks. Court of Owls was fantastic!
Yeah, Court was top shelf stuff. DotF was a little weaker, IMO, but I'm not much one for horror and Snyder's Joker leans heavily on those tropes.

The next one, though is deeply incredible. Zero Year is instant classic material.

Messi

Ignoring discussion of the story of Saga, is there something weird going on with the backgrounds? It sometimes felt like they were done by someone else and then layered below the art. Or is that a style choice?

Its a style choice. It's all done by Fiona Staples. I'm sure some will just tell you she is lazy though.

Zombine

Banned
Why do you buy more than you can feasibly get through, though?

I get all the Marvel books for $20. If I didn't I don't think I would read them. I'm actually plenty happy with a list of like 5 image books. If I had to I would drop them all and just read Walking Dead.

I get all the Marvel books for $20. If I didn't I don't think I would read them. I'm actually plenty happy with a list of like 5 image books. If I had to I would drop them all and just read Walking Dead.

GfgH7b3.gif

Deadly Class > anything else on Image

Sometimes she does backgrounds. Sometimes she doesn't. I think it works generally. I absolutely adore her art though.

I could take or leave the backgrounds. Her art is amazing regardless. It's just her style and I'm perfectly alright with that.

Some artists can get away with less detailed background A-OK. Staples seems like one of those artists with my limited experience to her work.

People sell codes from their physical issues. I believe zombert buys the off a friend. I'm sure there are some on eBay.

Some people frown on it.

I see, I see...

Eh, idk, even though I can say I'm interested, there are like 2-3 Marvel books I would be interested in following monthly.

Messi

Talkin' shit bout Rat Queens son?

Look I love Rat Queens. But Deadly Class is better. It's so damn good and it consistently hits it's schedule. Artist changes and delays have severely damaged Rat Queens.

That said when Rat Queens ships it's up there with the best if them. I wish Sejic could have stayed on. It was perfect for me :(

Top Bottom