• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

PsychBat!

Banned
I only just got around to actually following up on my digital Spider-Gwen subscription.
Only 5 issues? Seriously? I figured it wouldn't be long running but I expected more than that. Sure the artwork was pretty bad sometimes but the concept and characters were great. Guess I'll have to start picking up the new Spider-Verse and hope Gwen gets another solo series.

The artwork bad? What kind of crazy world did I get myself into at 3 in the morning?

Lagamorph

The artwork bad? What kind of crazy world did I get myself into at 3 in the morning?
fFjWvkK.jpg

Guy just can't do faces.

PsychBat!

Banned
Man the art is the best thing about that book, Robbie Rodriguez is great.

I love the art, the coloring, the paneling, the onomatopoeia, the inks. It's just great all around. It's a shame that the writing is really average. I'm not saying it's not readable, I'm saying it could have been way better.

Silk for life.

Squire

Banned
^Was gonna what Psych said.

So I read that FCBD Avengers story... Um... Kinda, yikes?

I know it's just a preview, but Waod's writing in that is truly Saturday Morning cartoon tier and that's nothing but a step backwards coming off Hickman's run. Asrar's art is OK, but I'm glad Kubert is going to alternate with him.

I really don't know. I already wasn't thrilled about the new like-up. I haven't read any of the teen characters books, so I have no attachment to them in addition to feeling like they've been promoted too quickly. Hickman did newbies too, but the only actual green thumb on the team was Smasher and he made a damn good argument for it. (And you know, she was an adult.)

And this book is shipping more than 12 issues a year apparently? I hope that means it's bi-weekly and I hope they introduce real stakes real quickly 'cause right now it seems like Avengers Babies and I'm not down for that, personally.

PsychBat!

Banned
I really don't know. I already wasn't thrilled about the new like-up. I haven't read any of the teen characters books, so I have no attachment to them in addition to feeling like they've been promoted too quickly.

Oh, we had a lukewarm reaction to many upcoming Marvel books too.

Squire

Banned
I legitimately think like 80% of the lineup looks great. I'm personally not ready to write a single book off until I read the first few issues.

Same here. Ultimates and New Avebgers look great - Ewing I think has a chance to become the crown jewel in this year's crop of writers. I loved Mighty Avengers and Cap & Mighty Avengers was good, despite AXIS bullshiy, with the most poignant and powerful finale I've read yet.

Inhuman is good, so Soule writing two books for them is fine. I'll read the X-Men books because X-Men, Duggan will probably do fine by Uncanny Avengers; yeah, just about everything will get a fair shake from for at least 2-3 issues. It's just a shame Avengers doesn't seem to be living up. I mean, didn't the book basically just come out of a dark age? None of you guys are hot on the Bendis era, I notice.

I think ANAD Marvel just looks underwhelming, especially compared to the last Marvel Now launches, though i'm sure there will be some good books in there. Like i just remembered the other day that Dr. Strange by Aaron/Bachalo is a thing happening and i feel like that will be really great

the X-Men line tho... RIP

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There are like three books I am really excited for.
To bad that they all get premiere Hardcovers, so I wont read them before next fall.

Sandfox

^Was gonna what Psych said.

So I read that FCBD Avengers story... Um... Kinda, yikes?

I know it's just a preview, but Waod's writing in that is truly Saturday Morning cartoon tier and that's nothing but a step backwards coming off Hickman's run. Asrar's art is OK, but I'm glad Kubert is going to alternate with him.

I really don't know. I already wasn't thrilled about the new like-up. I haven't read any of the teen characters books, so I have no attachment to them in addition to feeling like they've been promoted too quickly. Hickman did newbies too, but the only actual green thumb on the team was Smasher and he made a damn good argument for it. (And you know, she was an adult.)

And this book is shipping more than 12 issues a year apparently? I hope that means it's bi-weekly and I hope they introduce real stakes real quickly 'cause right now it seems like Avengers Babies and I'm not down for that, personally.
For me this is the most interesting team since the Bendis one. I was never really a fan of Hickman's book.
I think ANAD Marvel just looks underwhelming, especially compared to the last Marvel Now launches, though i'm sure there will be some good books in there. Like i just remembered the other day that Dr. Strange by Aaron/Bachalo is a thing happening and i feel like that will be really great

the X-Men line tho... RIP

X-Men haven't been good in a long time to the point where I think it can only improve.

Sorry all, fell a sleep after I posted that about Wolf #1. I only read the first TBP of Zero and thought it was ok. Never botherd to read the rest. I liked his Secret Avengers stuff. I don't know, something about this one didn't click with me. I just wanted it to be over as I was reading it. I would say the weakest part of the book was the art. I guess "sterile" would be the right word to use. Not for me.

Zombine

Banned
Sorry all, fell a sleep after I posted that about Wolf #1. I only read the first TBP of Zero and thought it was ok. Never botherd to read the rest. I liked his Secret Avengers stuff. I don't know, something about this one didn't click with me. I just wanted it to be over as I was reading it. I would say the weakest part of the book was the art. I guess "sterile" would be the right word to use. Not for me.

Not a fan of the Zero art or Wolf? I haven't read Wolf yet myself.

Zombine

Banned
When are people going to finally admit that Silver Age Superman isn't a good guy, but is instead Chaotic Neutral.

Goddamn This War (Tardi): 15 years after It Was The War of The Trenches and Tardi picks up right where he left off. While the first book was more of a series of vignettes, this one has a single narrator that ties things together. It also steps back a bit and talks about circumstances and happenings outside the trenches too. A great companion piece to the first book.

The second half of the book is by Verney and provides a great and concise chronological listing of events from 1914 through 1918. (Not comics though.)

Tardi's turn of phrase and writing is as biting as ever.

Owzers

I'm still not excited about Marvel's relaunch, to me it still seems like creative industry leftovers and Image is the place to be. I'll probably giving a couple a chance, definitely give Ewing a try on Ultimates, but most will be MU-waited. Though it is good for people to get a chance at the larger books so shrug shrug, we'll find out in octoberish.

I'm still not excited about Marvel's relaunch, to me it still seems like creative industry leftovers and Image is the place to be. I'll probably giving a couple a chance, definitely give Ewing a try on Ultimates, but most will be MU-waited. Though it is good for people to get a chance at the larger books so shrug shrug, we'll find out in octoberish.

Image and Valiant m8

The more time I spend with comics, the more I see each individual Image series as its own little island. Sure, the vast majority of them are really good creator-owned series, but there are a few of those stray series that don't get much attention, people don't really talk about, end up being cancelled and forgotten. And it's not like their successes are intertwined in the way collective superhero universes are.

Zombine

Banned

I just want Secret Wars to wrap. Every time I see a book creeping closer to #5 I know we are almost done. When I said I would see every tie-in to the end I meant it.

Owzers

I just want Secret Wars to wrap. Every time I see a book creeping closer to #5 I know we are almost done. When I said I would see every tie-in to the end I meant it.

I feel like Secret Wars is irrelevant, it's a decently entertaining read and nothing more and we already know what all the books coming after it are mostly about, so what's the point? Just end. Triple ship it. Sadly most event books seem to be this way where Marvel already talks about the next event/status quo before it ends and then the event is left with just the quality alone as the continuity is already defined in advance.

Village

So, I decided to look up Bombshells Lois 'cause I'd forgotten what she looked like, and I found this gem:
1%2B-%2BLois%2BLane%2BBombshell%2Bof%2Bthe%2BBoulevards%2Bsplash%2Bpage.jpg

I can't decide what my favorite part of this is. Is it that Superman was fooled by Lois in a wig with a Poodle? Is it that there exists somebody on the planet of Earth stupid enough to intentionally engage Superman in a pistol duel? Is it that Superman is enough of a dick to accept such an offer?

Nah man he shot me, i gotta fire back. i can't look weak in these streets Lois.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like Secret Wars is irrelevant, it's a decently entertaining read and nothing more and we already know what all the books coming after it are mostly about, so what's the point? Just end. Triple ship it. Sadly most event books seem to be this way where Marvel already talks about the next event/status quo before it ends and then the event is left with just the quality alone as the continuity is already defined in advance.

I think what I enjoy is that it's all self contained. I think it's success will be that at the end of the series you can opt out. Secret Wars looks like it will be a very firm passing of the torch, and that you can quit Marvel happily if you wish to do so. If you want the epilogue of the series, you can read the Illuminati book and Ultimates, but I think that it will end in such a way where you can close that chapter of your life if you wish.

Squire

Banned

There's quite s bit that's unknown and unaccounted for. It also sounds like you're just not invested in what's happening, which is the kicker, no? I'm way into it and I got to read the run as SW started. I can't imagine how this feels for somebody that's actually been reading Avengers books for three years or who started with F4 even before that.

Hickman has a grand scheme that he seems to be delivering on. Both the main book and many if not all of the tie-ins are great. ANAD is one thing, but SW is a good event so far that doesn't feel like a cynical production that's only happening because of a mandate. Shit ain't AXIS - that's gotta count for something.

Edit: And yeah, Zombine is right. There's a sense of finality to all of this that feels like it's legitimate.

It appears copra round two re appeared on IST. Placed an order.

Also ordered a bunch of the batman legends of trades for a number of classic artists/writers. I've wanted to get a better awareness of older batman runs

Maybe it's the fact I'm quite new to comics but I've felt pretty invested in Secret Wars even though we have a relatively good idea of how things will turn out. I'm certainly in no rush for it to be over. It actually feels like there's a point to the story which is something I can't say of a few other events I've read.

So what's Earth One Superman like? I see it at my LCS all the time, and he looks very angry on that cover. I've heard Batman Earth One is really good. Does Superman also hold that standard? I want to read a good Superman book and that one currently grabs my interest.

Imagine good will hunting, remove everything good about it, and give will superpowers. That's Superman earth one.

Maybe a little late but finally cleaned up my ComicCave, still in the middle of taking stuff off the wall and reorganizing.

The Book shelf

TV / PS4

Sloppy "work area"
Dang, look at those fancy watches and bmw keys. Are you part of Baller Gaf and I was not aware?

For real though, thats a very nice compact set up. Very clean

AsfaeksBR

Well, just ordered a 10.1" tablet to start my digital readings. And since I'm in the mood for something outer space
(and Tizoc said that the new GotG run is poo)
, Fear Agent Vol.1 will be my first pick at ComiXology.

Am I in for a treat?

Top Bottom