• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

I couldn't put it down, those last few pages as she's
going to Corrigan's apartment,
THAT TENSION B'GOD.

I really, really wanted Batman to show up, but I think this is better.

I kept forgetting Batman was as thing in this tbh. That last arc was all about the cops and I loved that. Renee is such an amazing character.
And fuck Corrigan, I hope that piece of shit got his somewhere.

The answer is yes.

52?

I kept forgetting Batman was as thing in this tbh. That last arc was all about the cops and I loved that. Renee is such an amazing character.
And fuck Corrigan, I hope that piece of shit got his somewhere.

52?

Honestly, the way they handled Batman was my favorite part about this, barring some of the interactions between the various pairs of partners, Sarge and... uh... the dude with the pipe, especially. All of the more out there stuff was great, really; like, when Starfire showed up? That whole bit was MAGIC.

But Batman especially. Between the art and the writing, he's so... alien. Like he really is a thing of the night, more than just human.

Owzers

Best buy has the steel book edition of age of ultron on fake sale for $20, should I blind buy it if I was disappointed in gotg and the first avengers but really liked winter soldier and iron man?

VanWinkle

I'm so extraordinarily new to comics. I still am not really too interested in buying comics so much as graphic novels since they're nice and big and fairly inexpensive. So far I've pretty much only got New 52 DC stuff since that's a good starting point for me. I've got ones that were highly rated and mostly under $10, which are the first volumes of Batman, Justice League, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and The Flash. Beyond that, I also have Green Arrow Year One, Batman Year One, and Batman The Black Mirror.

Anyway, I want to get some Marvel stuff, too. I heard Marvel is redoing their series like DC did. Is that true? Also, do any of you know anything about Marvels? I looked at a sample and the art in it was INCREDIBLE! I couldn't believe it. Is it as good as the art lets on?

I'm so extraordinarily new to comics. I still am not really too interested in buying comics so much as graphic novels since they're nice and big and fairly inexpensive. So far I've pretty much only got New 52 DC stuff since that's a good starting point for me. I've got ones that were highly rated and mostly under $10, which are the first volumes of Batman, Justice League, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and The Flash. Beyond that, I also have Green Arrow Year One, Batman Year One, and Batman The Black Mirror.

Anyway, I want to get some Marvel stuff, too. I heard Marvel is redoing their series like DC did. Is that true? Also, do any of you know anything about Marvels? I looked at a sample and the art in it was INCREDIBLE! I couldn't believe it. Is it as good as the art lets on?

Can't speak to Marvels, but no, Marvel is not doing a reboot, just a "nothing will ever be the same" change to the status quo.

I am also going to advise you to hold off on Nightwing, Red Hood, and The Flash; the last one has extremely gorgeous art but incredibly dull writing, Nightwing is just mediocre, and Red Hood is... I like it, but not everybody does. Shoulda got some recs first, man.

Start with Batman.

VanWinkle

Can't speak to Marvels, but no, Marvel is not doing a reboot, just a "nothing will ever be the same" change to the status quo.

I am also going to advise you to hold off on Nightwing, Red Hood, and The Flash; the last one has extremely gorgeous art but incredibly dull writing, Nightwing is just mediocre, and Red Hood is... I like it, but not everybody does. Shoulda got some recs first, man.

Start with Batman.

I didn't even know this thread existed until now. I was just going by Amazon reviews. To be honest, I mostly just bought New 52 stuff from the characters I'm most interested in that good reviews. The only one of the New 52 stuff I've actually read so far is Justice League Origin, which I thought was awesome.

Messi

So I read the image solicits fully. Holy shit at Monstress. That art is lovely and I had not heard about this book. Very much in.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hell yes.

mynigga-o.gif

I didn't even know this thread existed until now. I was just going by Amazon reviews. To be honest, I mostly just bought New 52 stuff from the characters I'm most interested in that good reviews. The only one of the New 52 stuff I've actually read so far is Justice League Origin, which I thought was awesome.

I'm just vaguely surprised that that's what reviewed well XD

Owzers

If you didn't like GotG, you won't like anything.

I'm pretty sure i bought GOTG because i really wanted to see it and it wasn't at Redbox but before i opened it Redbox had it and i rented it, somewhat liked because of Groot/Rocket and mostly hated it because of RONAN ANGRY, and ended up not returning my purchase. The only other time i've watched Guardians was on Starz randomly while doing other things, really don't like that movie, it's the same with Avengers, the plot is garbage and some character interactions are completely annoying, but there are small segments i really like ( new york battle). Age of Ultron sounds like it's going to follow a similar path.

Honestly, the way they handled Batman was my favorite part about this, barring some of the interactions between the various pairs of partners, Sarge and... uh... the dude with the pipe, especially. All of the more out there stuff was great, really; like, when Starfire showed up? That whole bit was MAGIC.

But Batman especially. Between the art and the writing, he's so... alien. Like he really is a thing of the night, more than just human.

I think the interactions between the characters were definitely the highlight for me. The way it interwove Batman into it, though, was spectacular. But like I said, I was so entranced by the investigation and the interactions, that when Batman showed up, it was always like "holy shit it's Batman! oh yeah they're in Gotham..." It was really in the periphery, but the way the superhero stuff worked its way in definitely made this a special experience.

Also, very much yes:
o7Ra9gF.jpg

The actual stuff around it happens in the Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre mini. But just a warning that it's not all fun and games.

That sounds.. not great lol

Highly rated, you say?

VanWinkle

Ah, yes, Amazon reviews. Always trust those.

never trust those

I think it's probably better for me to go by a broader range of reviews like Amazon rather than solely the word of big comic fans, because I myself am not yet a big comic fan. Decisions about where they took characters in any way is not a factor for me, because I'm starting with these.

I think the interactions between the characters were definitely the highlight for me. The way it interwove Batman into it, though, was spectacular. But like I said, I was so entranced by the investigation and the interactions, that when Batman showed up, it was always like "holy shit it's Batman! oh yeah they're in Gotham..." It was really in the periphery, but the way the superhero stuff worked its way in definitely made this a special experience.

Also, very much yes:
o7Ra9gF.jpg

As I've said before, Gotham Central is easily one of my all-time favourite books. I love basically everything about it.

Messi

I think it's probably better for me to go by a broader range of reviews like Amazon rather than solely the word of big comic fans, because I myself am not yet a big comic fan. Decisions about where they took characters in any way is not a factor for me, because I'm starting with these.

What do Amazon reviews say about Catwoman vol 3-5 the new 52 ones.

Dude, I'm just busting your balls. It's ok to read whatever you want lol

I'm generally cynical when it comes to the big companies.

As I've said before, Gotham Central is easily one of my all-time favourite books. I love basically everything about it.

I think it honestly be like my #1 or 2. I enjoyed it so much.

What do Amazon reviews say about Catwoman vol 3-5 the new 52 ones.

3.5 stars for Vol 5 huehuehue

Messi

Wow Race of thieves gets 3 1/2 stars. Now I know they are fucking with people

I think it's just the two of us and maybe Messi, depending on how many panels Starfire appears in in a given issue XD

Read 3 volumes so far and loved them all. Also yes Starfire is my total fav. Her panels are the bestest.

Messi

Volume 3 and 4 got a 2.5 out of 5, and volume 5 got a 3.5 out of 5. Is that accurate to you? I haven't really looked into Catwoman.

They are all about 2 1/2 to 3 stars too high. That run is a disgrace. Thankfully Valentine has saved it. Btw I'm not saying that to be a dick. But some of these books on Amazon are rated by 3-4 people and that's it.

Also for the record this is not how we recommend books. We just recommend good stories. Name a character and I'm sure you will be told the best stories for that character.

Always great to hear about new people discovering Gotham central. I treated every month it came out a treat because it was so great but also on borrowed time.

So on the fence on IST WW omnibus. 25 issues for $37.5. If it goes on sale on CMX it's $25. But it hasn't yet. Hmmm

VanWinkle

They are all about 2 1/2 to 3 stars too high. That run is a disgrace. Thankfully Valentine has saved it. Btw I'm not saying that to be a dick. But some of these books on Amazon are rated by 3-4 people and that's it.

Also for the record this is not how we recommend books. We just recommend good stories. Name a character and I'm sure you will be told the best stories for that character.

Well I decided to search "comic-gaf" on Google a little bit ago to see if there was anything like this so I'm happy to see a thriving community. I will ask you guys for advice in the future.

I am kind of into the idea of New 52 because it's a new start, which is perfect for somebody relatively new to comics like me. But if I find that the quality is lacking in any way, I can just go a'la carte with random well-liked volumes from the past.

Zombine

Banned
Always great to hear about new people discovering Gotham central. I treated every month it came out a treat because it was so great but also on borrowed time.

So on the fence on IST WW omnibus. 25 issues for $37.5. If it goes on sale on CMX it's $25. But it hasn't yet. Hmmm

Buy it dude it's the best WW story hands down. It's the run I associate with the character.

Top Bottom