• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Finished Death of the Family in my effort to get caught-up in the Snyder run. Not as strong as Court of the Owls, but still a very good Joker story. Really nails the relationship between the two of them, I felt. The horror elements were done well and gave it something special. Was also nice to see a story with the whole Bat-Family involved, at least a little bit.

Messi

Well I decided to search "comic-gaf" on Google a little bit ago to see if there was anything like this so I'm happy to see a thriving community. I will ask you guys for advice in the future.

I am kind of into the idea of New 52 because it's a new start, which is perfect for somebody relatively new to comics like me. But if I find that the quality is lacking in any way, I can just go a'la carte with random well-liked volumes from the past.

New 52 is a great place to step in. It's how I came back to comics.

Yeah we have a really active community and we are all really nice. Well except Zombeen, he is a trash poster. We would be happy to help you pick out good books that are currently running like Snyders Batman. I see you like Nightwing so you could try Grayson which is a spy book featuring Dick Grayson and is amazing with lovely art.

Welcome aboard :)

Well I decided to search "comic-gaf" on Google a little bit ago to see if there was anything like this so I'm happy to see a thriving community. I will ask you guys for advice in the future.

I am kind of into the idea of New 52 because it's a new start, which is perfect for somebody relatively new to comics like me. But if I find that the quality is lacking in any way, I can just go a'la carte with random well-liked volumes from the past.

Yeah if you ever need recs or anything, definitely hit us up. A lot of us will try to help you out.

There's a comic start-up thread on NeoGAF, but it's trash because there's no Valiant in the OP, so I can't recommend using it.

Messi

I don't know about that.

We can be pretty mean to each other and talk about Arkham Knight for hours.

Shhhh don't scare off the new guy. Wait until they settle then we hit them with the arguing and anime. then the olivia Wilde gifs. It's all part of the plan.

There's a comic start-up thread on NeoGAF, but it's trash because there's no Valiant in the OP, so I can't recommend using it.

I legit laughed out loud at this.

Zombeen is good people and that thread is great for newbies.

I'm relatively new to comics too, and New 52 is also what drew me in! I've started by just jumping in to the ongoings of whatever I'm interested in, even if they can be a bit hard to follow at the moment, but also going through trades to get caught up on the stuff I really like, right now I just finished the third volume of Batman!

Shhhh don't scare off the new guy. Wait until they settle then we hit them with the arguing and anime. then the olivia Wilde gifs. It's all part of the plan.

Anime? I'm out.

Messi

What about Harley?

In Russia... ah you get it.

We don't talk much about Harley any more. But my love is eternal. I am still wounded from freeza turning on Harleen the other day.

I'm relatively new to comics too, and New 52 is also what drew me in! I've started by just jumping in to the ongoings of whatever I'm interested in, even if they can be a bit hard to follow at the moment, but also going through trades to get caught up on the stuff I really like, right now I just finished the third volume of Batman!

Anime? I'm out.

If I had my way I would ban all anime in this thread and freeza too. Possibly even tyrant.

Take yer Valiant and shove it up yet arse m8

seriously I wish someone else could edit that thread lol

Give me your login details and social security and I will do it for you.

PsychBat!

Banned
ChdvQji.jpg

awwww yeeeahh

long live SpOck.

Take yer Valiant and shove it up yet arse m8

seriously I wish someone else could edit that thread lol

I threw a list together and it's quoted at the top of the last page :c

Give me your login details and social security and I will do it for you.

yes please, do it Zombeen. Messi will take care of everything

All you new guys need to know is that Grant Morrison is evil incarnate and his work should be avoided at all costs.

Hbb6s0J.gif

Weiss

Banned
So for anyone in the know, how would I go about selling off a bunch of TPBs and hardcovers I don't read anymore? I have a huge pile of 100+ trades that I want to get rid of.

VanWinkle

The fact you guys dislike anime makes this even better for me, since it's something I have no interest in whatsoever. Less fluff to get through.

I think it's probably better for me to go by a broader range of reviews like Amazon rather than solely the word of big comic fans, because I myself am not yet a big comic fan. Decisions about where they took characters in any way is not a factor for me, because I'm starting with these.

Welcome!

I shall evangelise about two things that I always do to new readers.

1) Library - At least if you are in the US, most libraries have a good collection of comics. (Superhero ones or otherwise).

2) Marvel - Try getting a one or two month subscription to Marvel Unlimited. $10 for a month will allow you to sample a lot of series. Then you can decide to continue certain series in collections or you could go on to pick up a one year subscription.

Owzers

Sooooooooooo i finally read Black Science #1 and didn't like it at all really, If you're going to do a "gotta go fast" issue, take time to make sure i care what's going on. You're really going to base the whole book on
a fast chase through frogville to science pillarland?
. I didn't particularly like how the journey was laid out either. Gotta get back to my kids! Yeah, sure, or maybe i am okay with you dying right here and now? And there was never a time i didn't feel that way in the issue, it never won me over at the end.

VanWinkle

Welcome!

I shall evangelise about two things that I always do to new readers.

1) Library - At least if you are in the US, most libraries have a good collection of comics. (Superhero ones or otherwise).

2) Marvel - Try getting a one or two month subscription to Marvel Unlimited. $10 for a month will allow you to sample a lot of series. Then you can decide to continue certain series in collections or you could go on to pick up a one year subscription.

Good idea on Marvel Unlimited. I will probably do that.

Less fluff?

Yeah, sure, let's go with that.

Coincidentally, favorite fruit?

Grapes. Red grapes, specifically.

The Last Days of American Crime hardcover is supposed to be out next week. Finally. Hope it doesn't get delayed again. I need more of that Tocchini art in my veins.

PQPGWAj.gif

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Good idea on Marvel Unlimited. I will probably do that.

Man, I get WAAAY more use out of Unlimited than I do Netflix. I just keep that around for my kids, but Unlimited is opening me up to a million awesome stories I'd NEVER have experienced if I had to pay for each issue. I can tell you I'd never have bought a Superhero comic with cash money. I wouldn't even give them a chance. Horror comic? Sure. Without a second thought.But not a hero comic.

Disconnecting my comics reading from paying an price per issue has allowed me to open my horizons. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom