• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

i'm like halfway through the 2nd one. they're really good.
tumblr_mk48n3roLg1qc9hmvo2_r4_500.gif
need to change that last letter in "Freeze" to an "a"
And of course, the GOAT cartoon based off an American comic gif

tumblr_nsv6xtqZuj1qa0nn8o1_400.gif
I don't think i'll ever really get the love for this show. Shit was basic as helllllllll
I wish we got a young Justice series based off PADs series. That would have been amazing.

You guys would love that book. A true hidden gem of fun comics.
I have a bunch of the issues. i should get around to really diving into it, i like what i've read
Guess I have another book to add to the list!
somewhere, tim1138 is smiling as he sheds a single, proud tear

Yousefb

Speaking of, what do you guys think is the funniest comic you've read?

Personally nothing made me laugh more than Chew. Funny dialogue, wacky visuals, and
mofuckin Poyo

Honorable mention also goes out to Y the Last Man. Even though it's not a comedy like Chew it's still hilarious at times.

Yeah Mignola put a lot of work into the whole Hellboyverse and it does take some reading to really notice all of it. He was very smart with how it was all laid out. The whole jump from Hellboy's discovery to 1993 or whenever Seeds of Destruction takes place basically leaves this big blank space just waiting to be filled with stories with the cast of characters.

BPRD is also excellent and shows more of the world without Hellboy. I highly recommend it if you enjoy Hellboy and want more.
Sounds awesome, really looking to diving into the rest of it. I will definitely be checking out BPRD as well! I remember someone posted some picture of a reading order and I think BPRD comes after vol 4 of Hellboy? I'll make my way there heh

Just read the first issues of Saga and Hellboy. Saga is definitely the weirdest comic I've read so far lol, but I'm loving the premise and creativity. Hellboy was cool but certainly feels like one issue is not enough to fully appreciate the world. All in all Im so glad I got these.

Yeah Mignola put a lot of work into the whole Hellboyverse and it does take some reading to really notice all of it. He was very smart with how it was all laid out. The whole jump from Hellboy's discovery to 1993 or whenever Seeds of Destruction takes place basically leaves this big blank space just waiting to be filled with stories with the cast of characters.

BPRD is also excellent and shows more of the world without Hellboy. I highly recommend it if you enjoy Hellboy and want more.

Speaking of, what do you guys think is the funniest comic you've read?

Personally nothing made me laugh more than Chew. Funny dialogue, wacky visuals, and
mofuckin Poyo

Honorable mention also goes out to Y the Last Man. Even though it's not a comedy like Chew it's still hilarious at times.

I thought Superior Foes of Spider-Man was a riot at points. Visual humor (especially in comics) is very difficult to do but Steve Lieber really managed to get the timing and composition and everything down pretty perfectly. Lots of really funny moments throughout.

Besides that, I'd probably say Prison School is the funniest comic/manga I've ever read. I legit laughed out loud during it and just thinking about some of the scenes is enough to make me smile. I know it's not Western comics, but shit's funny.

So I've been catching up on Marvel and got mid way through Avengers vs X-men before dropping it. Just far too stupid, non-sensical and boring. Think I'm just gonna go straight to the new Marvel NOW stuff. Anything in particular I should ignore or keep an eye on? Aside from Hickmans stuff that I definitely plan to read because his Fantastic Four run was so damn good.

PsychBat!

Banned
So I've been catching up on Marvel and got mid way through Avengers vs X-men before dropping it. Just far too stupid, non-sensical and boring. Think I'm just gonna go straight to the new Marvel NOW stuff. Anything in particular I should ignore or keep an eye on? Aside from Hickmans stuff that I definitely plan to read because his Fantastic Four run was so damn good.

Superior Spider-Man
Thor: God of Thunder
Daredevil (Waid's run)

Those are my top 3 Marvel NOW books. I can't recommend them enough.

Hawkeye isn't ~technically~ a Marvel NOW book but it's close enough and very much worth reading.

Other than that my favorites are:
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Uncanny Avengers (read Remender's Uncanny X-Force first)
Daredevil

All are top tier reading.

Can anyone recommend me some good frames? It's time to put some commissions on the wall and i probably shouldn't cheap out too hard with these

Foofaraw

Yahoo! Finally tracked down a copy of Constantine: The Hellblazer #2 and WicDiv #4.

Kinda bummed that I didn't pull the trigger on the Green Lantern omni's during the IST's DC sale. However, I still have lots of trades as a backlog. Gotta get reading.

Any recommended Inhumans reads that would be on Marvel Unlimited?

Dunno if they're on MU, but the most recent book, Inhuman, is really good. The Marvel Knights run (Jenkins, I believe) is supposed to be really good as well, though I haven't gotten around to it. I doubt By Right of Birth is on there, but if it is, I highly recommend that.

Do not attempt to read any old Inhumans before BRoB. It's all Silver Age Fantastic Four and it is the roughest of reads. Also, don't bother reading Inhumanity. There's like, one issue worth reading, and that's the first one. Since it's a massive event, I don't even remember what book that issue is from. Attilan Rising (a Secret Wars book) is really good so far, but it's not gonna be up on MU.

Beyond that, any good Inhumans stuff is as a supporting role in books, sadly. Marvel doesn't really know what to do with the characters. It's super sad, because they have a lot going on, but thems the brakes. Two of the books in the All-New, All-Different line-up are Inhumans focused: Karnak (following one of the characters, by Warren Ellis) and Uncanny Inhumans (which, sadly, has Beast and Human Torch on there because again, Marvel has no idea). Technically, the more recent Ms. Marvel is an Inhuman, and a couple Inhumans do show up in the book, but again they're supporting roles and despite being an Inhuman, it's not an Inhuman book. Still an enjoyable superhero book though. If you ever liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it's definitely the book for you.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Beeing Robin is shitty. Just a 40% survival rate is kinda poor.

I am afraid of the feels that will come from Batman Inc Vol. 2 :(

Looking forward to new rich Peter Parker and his bodyguard. This was a long time coming.
I will laugh when Spidey is his Bodyguard. Tony 2.0

Tizoc

I think Infinity was more proof that the Inhumans are a severely underutilized portion of the Marvel universe, personally.

Which Infinity series is that?
Over the years I was of the acceptance that the inhumans couldn't hold a book all their own and hardly anyone gives a crap about them :p
Marvel trying to shove them down our throats as the X-Men replacements isn't really helping too.

PsychBat!

Banned
I will laugh when Spidey is his Bodyguard. Tony 2.0
He is his "bodyguard".

This is the Peter we need and deserve.

Over the years I was of the acceptance that the inhumans couldn't hold a book all their own and hardly anyone gives a crap about them :p
Marvel trying to shove them down our throats as the X-Men replacements isn't really helping too.

agreed

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Attilan Rising is the only time the Inhumans have ever been interesting to me.

Tizoc

Have you all been reading Christopher Priest's series of interviews over at newsarama?

http://www.newsarama.com/25496-priest-looks-back-at-black-panther.html

http://www.newsarama.com/25506-priest-on-black-panther-pt-2.html

http://www.newsarama.com/25518-prie...-enemy-of-the-state-and-the-panther-film.html

All excerpts from the first interview.

That reminds me, I have 12 issues of Priest's Unknown Soldier. I should read that.

Thanks for this, and which Unknown Soldier comic is that, I don't think I've heard of it til now o_O

n1Eh4aZ.jpg

My birthday haul finally complete

Hellboy library volume 1-3
The Collector by Toppi
Borgias by Jodorowsky and Manara
Blacksad: A Silent Hell by Canales and Guarnido
Sex Criminals v 2 by fraction and Zdarsky
Black Science v 2 and 3 by Remender and Scalera (accidentally ordered 2 copies of v 2 so I'll send one back)
Luther Strode v 2 by Jordan and Moore
Saga v 4 by BKV and Staples
Zero v 3 and 4 by Kot and company
Rumble v 1 by Acurdi and Harren
Drifter v 1 by Brandon and Klein
Batman: Mad Love by Dini and Timm
Superman Secret Origin by Busiek and Immonen
Batgirl/Robin year one by Dixon, Martin and Pulido
Bloodspell by Dini and Quinones
Flex Mentallo by Morrison and Quietly
The Divine by Hanuka, Hanuka and Lavie

Nice,, lots of enjoyment ... also
Happy late bday ED!

-----------------------------

James Bond #1 out in November (IIRC)

Anyone else getting it?

Hells yeah.. Bond was a part of my upbringing

Zombine

Banned
So I've finally compiled a list of all my favorite comic creators:

Roberta Aguirre-Sacasa
Rapael Albuquerque
Kalman Andrasofszki
Mark Andreyko
Moyoco Anna
Iniod Asano
Jordie Bellair
Marguerite Bennet
Enka Bilal
Stephen Arr. Bissette
Vaughn Boday
Enrique Breccio
Vera Bristol
Ivan Brunette
Cullen Bun
Kurt Busek
Svetlana Chimakova
Brian Clevingar
China Clugston Flores
Olivier Couple
Darwyn Cook
Amanda I' Conner
Russell Daterman
Kelly Sue Deconik
Nunzio DeFilippie
Lee-la del Duca
Vanesa R. Del Ray
Glen Dillon
Dan DiDi-oh
Colleen Dooran
Marko derjervick
Nathan Edmondsan
Jay Farber
Michel Fife
Danny fingerhoth
Brenden Flecher
Gardner Phox
Rene French
Gary Fredrich
Mike Friedric
José Louis García-López
Shannon K. Garrity
Phoebe Glockner
René Gosciny
Kerin Grant
Kevin Greviou
Javier Grillo-Marxwach
Mark Greenwald
R. EM. Guéra
Mark Guggenheim
Gurihoo
Trevor Hairstain
Allon Heinberg
Mark Hempel
Jamie Hernandez
Faith Erin Hickz
Brian Hitch
Brian Holgun
Kevin Huzenga
Cathryn Immonen
Takehiko Inou
Anthony Johnston
Dan Jolly
Hank Kanals
Jo Keatinge
Karl Kirsch
Kaitlín R. Kiernan
Sam Keith
Kneel Kleid
Androo Kreisberg
Jim Kruger
J. T. Krool
Salvador Laroca
J-eye Lee
Sonny Loo
Ed McGuinnes
Joe Madurere
Francis Manapol
Christy Marcks
Val Mayerick
David Mazucheli
William Messner-Loeb
David Michelins
Fabian Niciesa
Ann Noccenti
Eichiro Oda
Tsugumi Oba
Ariel Oliveti
Yanick Paquete
H. G. Peeter
Brian Posen
Kelley Fucket
Esad Ribik
Marguerite Savage
Margaret Scott
Stjephan Šejić
Yuko Shimizoo
Bill Sienkiewic
J. Michael Straczinski
Duane Swerczynski
Dalibor Talajik
ReignA Telgemeier
Doug Tenapple
Osamu Tezooka
John Totlebeen
Lewis Trondhem
Mike Weringo
Brian K. Vaughan
Jonen Vasquez
Gene Lun Yang
Oscar Kárate
Chip darsky
Daniel Žeželj
Tonči Sonjić

Tizoc

Yo that Christopher Priest interview is great, can someone make a thread about it please?
For some reason I found this interesting
I did not, however, want to disavow anything that had gone before. I know what that feels like, to have somebody come along and suddenly nothing you did ever happened. I think part of the fun of being a comics fan is seeing how writers solve problems within the rules and within the history of the universe.
I somehow feel like Hickman is guilty of not doing that, dunno why I feel that way, but I think it had to do with how Secret Warriors up and ignored the 80s Nick Fury comic.

I also liked this
If anything, now that Batman has become Iron Batman, with all that stupid armor and tech--wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong DC--he is following T’Challa’s lead and not the other way around.

Tizoc

I don't think i'll ever really get the love for this show. Shit was basic as helllllllll

Basic isn't bad, long as the characters get to shine and the writing isn't bad, I'd say it did it's job well.
Furthermore, there aren't that many Avengers-centric cartoons as say Batman has had, so there isn't much to compare too.
Besides it featured the original Avengers team along with a well written snarky Hulk, Black Panther and GOAT Hawkeye.

Nah, doubtful. Those are con exclusive covers. I only had the Walking Dead one though so I had no idea that it connected.

Manifest Destiny is the best comic that nobody is reading though.

I'll give it a chance and see if it's interesting.

Tizoc

OK wow, I never knew this was ever an issue when working on comic books o_O
I mean, it was as if the artist began each and every single page by thinking, "Okay, I'm not sure what I'm going to do on this page, but I know I'm not going to do what the script is calling for." He changed every angle of every panel of every page and ignored my repeated pleas to please, please, please follow the script or at least tell me what's bothering you and I'll rewrite it.

I am reminded of Howard Porter's work on Morrison's JLA run where there were some panels where the character drawn...and the dialog bubbles didn't fit with the way the character is drawn or their body language.
Mind you Porter's later work is miles better than his JLA art, but I'm reminded of it from reading that paragraph.

Zombine

Banned
OK wow, I never knew this was ever an issue when working on comic books o_O

I am reminded of Howard Porter's work on Morrison's JLA run where there were some panels where the character drawn...and the dialog bubbles didn't fit with the way the character is drawn or their body language.
Mind you Porter's later work is miles better than his JLA art, but I'm reminded of it from reading that paragraph.

Writing comic books is a collaboration. A good writer will leave room for interpretation while giving the artist strong guidelines of what has to happen to move the plot forward, and the artists job is to be able to execute what is asked of them while highlighting the strengths of their style.

This is a difficult thing to do when you have two strong people trying to work with one another, and it becomes even harder when one of those people are no good at what they do.

Messi

Nah, doubtful. Those are con exclusive covers. I only had the Walking Dead one though so I had no idea that it connected.

Manifest Destiny is the best comic that nobody is reading though.

I actually own the first manifest destiny trade. Never read it though.

Tizoc

Is The Walking Dead comic still considered good?

I'm curious about this as well.
I dropped after feeling like it's just about people surviving in a zombie apocalyptic world and exploring mentalities and personalities of people surviving in such a world, and mainly not going anywhere.

Yo that Christopher Priest interview is great, can someone make a thread about it please?
For some reason I found this interesting

I somehow feel like Hickman is guilty of not doing that, dunno why I feel that way, but I think it had to do with how Secret Warriors up and ignored the 80s Nick Fury comic.

I also liked this

Wow, that's obnoxious of him.

(The second quote, can't speak to the first).

Top Bottom