• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ugh. FroYo has an ant problem currently. The pest control people are supposed to come once a month and they weren't coming. And then I call them on Monday afternoon and tell them they need to come in ASAP and they say hopefully Tuesday, but Wednesday (today) at the latest. Aaaand they didn't come in today. Yaaay.

Also, WILL THIS HELLBLAZER ARC NEVER END!? This arc is such a chore. I think it's 8 issues long. Just one and a half issues to go... Almost there.

I think Young Terrorists was legit the best book I read this week, but it's fucking brutal as hell. Love the colors and the concept is stellar. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

I'm going to wager most people haven't even heard of it, but I'm hoping someone will come out of the woodwork and say they've read it.

#teamNewBetty

I like Betty from Afterlife more than Veronica in Afterlife, though; she's kind of annoying there. Betty is fantastic everywhere

keiichi

I think Young Terrorists was legit the best book I read this week, but it's fucking brutal as hell. Love the colors and the concept is stellar. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

I'm going to wager most people haven't even heard of it, but I'm hoping someone will come out of the woodwork and say they've read it.

Sitting on my pile of books this week ... Will move it closer to the top

Sitting on my pile of books this week ... Will move it closer to the top

Ah yes, I remember you're the dude that had picked up some Black Mask comicsbooksund out they sell pdfs/cbrs on their site, so I'm getting into them more. I think you'll enjoy this one a lot.

Didn't read it, but I did catch a preview of it. Seemed like an interesting book, but I'm not sure it's HijinksGAF-approved.

Definitely not. It's for the Ennis Boys lot.

Ennis is hit or miss for me. Like Morrison. But less good.

I didn't really mean like Ennis in the way he tells stories, just in the violence and grittiness. It's not quite as bad as some of Ennis' shit, but it's definitely a 17+ comic.

Also, the colors are fantastic.

And there's no comparison between Ennis and Morrison. Morrison all day.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
And there's no comparison between Ennis and Morrison. Morrison all day.

Ennis and Morrison are probably my two favorite writers. And I actually like them both equally. They're really apples and oranges. It just depends on what kind of comic I want to read at the moment.

Holy crap, some shit went down in Empty Zone #3. Zombeen, you gotta catch up.

I didn't really mean like Ennis in the way he tells stories, just in the violence and grittiness. It's not quite as bad as some of Ennis' shit, but it's definitely a 17+ comic.

Well. It can't be worse than Crossed, right?

Busaiku

Archie gets Fiona Staples.
Betty & Veronica gets Adam Hughes.
Jughead gets Erica Henderson...

I thought people liked Jughead.

Adam Warren's Empowered Vol 9 came out today, and it is amazing. EAsily my favorite comic series I've ever read. I dread the long slow wait for the next volume.

Archie gets Fiona Staples.
Betty & Veronica gets Adam Hughes.
Jughead gets Erica Henderson...

I thought people liked Jughead.
I like Erica Henderson :( Her art is a great fit for Squirrel Girl. Seems like she'd do good on Judghead too.

Haven't bought my comics for the week yet. Maybe I'll grab Archie to see if I like it since you guys said I probably would. I'm already contemplating buying the past few issues of Batgirl though so I'm not sure yet.
Adam Warren's Empowered Vol 9 came out today, and it is amazing. EAsily my favorite comic series I've ever read. I dread the long slow wait for the next volume.

I need to catch up on that but I had fun with the first two volumes or so that I read. Nice to hear that it stays good.

Squire

Banned
dDmXSUX.jpg

Who's the new avatar?

That new Justice League is so gooood. Still, not much happened in this issue and same with that new Invincible. I hate reading comic books month to month.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm on the last issue of Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear and, holy hell, what a story. I'm so into the character. I'm immediately going to start the 2009 series, as I hear it gets really good. Did you guys like it?

So the Netflix series is based on Miller's story? Man, I'm going to totally need to check this out. I'm actually pretty much digging Matt in Thu black suit. He hasn't even donned the red one yet, but the origin for the suit and his nom de guerre are fucking amazing.

I'm starting to find myself in possession of t-shirts of my favorite heroes. Are figures far behind? I feel at the precipice of a very deep, dark hole.

Megatron

I'm on the last issue of Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear and, holy hell, what a story. I'm so into the character. I'm immediately going to start the 2009 series, as I hear it gets really good. Did you guys like it?

So the Netflix series is based on Miller's story? Man, I'm going to totally need to check this out. I'm actually pretty much digging Matt in Thu black suit. He hasn't even donned the red one yet, but the origin for the suit and his nom de guerre are fucking amazing.

I'm starting to find myself in possession of t-shirts of my favorite heroes. Are figures far behind? I feel at the precipice of a very deep, dark hole.

The waid series? Yeah, it's very good, though a completely different kind of daredevil. Much happier and does away with all the Miller Noir. Have you read all of Miller's DD run? Definitely start there if you haven't read that yet. Then make sure to read Bendis and Brubaker's runs also.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
There are a lot of great cape books out there, but you do have to admit that it's a bit of a tired genre. I like how cape books are the minority with Image comics.

Yeah and I'm picking up more and more Image stuff (and Boom! with Spire) as I go. East of West, Manifest Destiny, and despite people's warnings Morning Glories are on deck after I finish Chew and get caught up on Saga and Deadly Class.

I've not actually read anything Ennis has written though so I'm not commentating on his work. I just don't like him. But from what I've seen and heard about Preacher and The Boys I don't think I'd enjoy them. Besides that I don't even know what else he's done besides Punisher way back in the day.

Horseticuffs

The waid series? Yeah, it's very good, though a completely different kind of daredevil. Much happier and does away with all the Miller Noir. Have you read all of Miller's DD run? Definitely start there if you haven't read that yet. Then make sure to read Bendis and Brubaker's runs also.
Excellent advice. I'm a complete neophyte. Silly me, I thought this was the entirety of Miller's Daredevil run. I'd love to see more of it.

Yousefb

Just got caught on Justice League 43. The series is definitely picking up now, this was my favorite of the series so far. The main conflict is great but what I loved about this issue was the Lex Luthor and Superman portion. The art is fantastic as always, especially the Darksied vs Antimonitor 2 page spread.

NO WRONG

Do Frank Miller's run (Born Again is a must read), skip Kevin Smith's (because his shit sucks), then do the Bendis' run, Brubakers' run, then Waid. Also if you want more go back and check out Ann Nocenti's stuff and maybe some of Stan Lee's to see how it all started (if you can handle it).

Horseticuffs

NO WRONG

Do Frank Miller's run (Born Again is a must read), skip Kevin Smith's (because his shit sucks), then do the Bendis' run, Brubakers' run, then Waid. Also if you want more go back and check out Anm Nocenti's stuff and maybe some of Stan Lee's to see how it all started (if you can handle it).
So everyone is telling me I should start at issue 16 of the 2009 series, which is when Bendis starts, correct? It looks like Miller worked on his run for years. Am I misunderstanding that? I see tons of issues with his name attached.

Anything on Ultimate is fair game and I want to read the books worth reading, for sure!

Megatron

Excellent advice. I'm a complete neophyte. Silly me, I thought this was the entirety of Miller's Daredevil run. I'd love to see more of it.

Miller's run is absolutely legendary. His first run was Daredevil 158-191. He came on as just the artist and then took over writing as well with issue 168. That run can be bought as an Omnibus, which is probably well worth it, but still fairly expensive. It's also collected in 3 volumes, and you actually get more in these volumes such as 2 issues of Spiderman Miller did, a What If story and Daredevil 219, a one shot he came back to write.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785134735/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785134743/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785134751/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These were originally released under the name: Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller (which I bought) but these newer editions have some extra issues in them, which I am more than a little jealous about.

When you finish up with these, if anything it gets even better. You get to read the magnificent Born Again, which was his return to Daredevil after a few years.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785134816/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So everyone is telling me I should start at issue 16 of the 2009 series, which is when Bendis starts, correct? It looks like Miller worked on his run for years. Am I misunderstanding that? I see tons of issues with his name attached.

Anything on Ultimate is fair game and I want to read the books worth reading, for sure!

The Kevin Smith run isn't terrible, it seemed better at the time than I think it is now, but yes, Bendis's run absolutely crushes it, and Brubaker's follow up was terrific as well, especially the Devil Inside and Out, his first arc. Referring to it as Daredevil 2009 is confusing to me, because it started in 1998 and ended in 2009. That's why I thought you were referring to Waid's run, which didn't actually start until 2011.

Rocafort is teasing some TMNT art. It's probably a variant cover cuz I doubt he can handle doing interiors for two books knowing how delicate he works.

No dude
2001 I think.
Here check this link out instead.
Very helpful for getting into Daredevil. It's what I used.

Hey there comicGAF. I'm new to this OT as I only recently got into exchanging my book collection for a graphic novel collection. I'll probably stop more frequently.

Two quick questions about some graphic novels I'm interested in.

Has anyone here read The Autumnlands by Kurt Busiek? Is it any good?

How about Low by Rick Reminder?

Tizoc

Ennis is cape hater so I hate him back on their behalf.

He can still write cape books really well though.
Or to be exact the characters, just read his Spiderman story from Web of Spiderman.

I thought I remembered something like that. People should check out Thor and the Warriors Four on MU if they want more of this:

Just read any Power Pack mini drawn by Gurihiru their work is fantastic and adorable.

Seriously they should make a Power Pack animated movie based on gurihiru's artstyle @_@

Hey there comicGAF. I'm new to this OT as I only recently got into exchanging my book collection for a graphic novel collection. I'll probably stop more frequently.

ComicGAF LOVE Rick Reminder, so just about any RR book you ask about, they'll tell you that it's worth reading the instant you see their reply ;P

to answer your last question though: yes it is~

PsychBat!

Banned

I don't read Low but I can definitely recommend The Autumnlands if you love magic and grit.

I read the first issue of Autumnlands and enjoyed it. I didn't continue but Busiek's a great writer so I'm sure it stayed good.

Low is really good. I'm a big Remender fan and I think the world is really fascinating. Tocchini's artwork is beautiful as well. The pages and panels flow wonderfully and it just looks great. If you do enjoy Low, definitely check out Remender's other work like Deadly Class which is awesome every month.

Yousefb

Weirdworld is such a beautiful book to look at, my god. The series so far has been an excellent journey, I want this creative team to be cranking this out for a long time.

Tizoc

Short hair looks lovely.

I disagree, the long hair was part of Crystal's design, now she looks like that one X-men chick with the lines on her face and the weird belts on her outfit whose name escapes me atm.

Design changes like that always baffle me @_@

Has there ever been a Black Bolt mini?

The Jenkins/Jae Lee run from a few years ago :p
I don't see how they're shoving them down our throats as X-Men replacements. I'm sorry, maybe I'm stupid or too much of a fanboy, but I don't. We've got how many X-books out, not only now, but also coming out with ANAD? A lot more than Inhumans. If you're referring to the MCU, well no shit. They can't use mutants, so they use every possible thing that they can to substitute for it, but that's exactly where the bigger problem lies.

The problem with why "no one gives a crap about the Inhumans" is because everyone sees them as just "X-Men but different."
Not really no, it's just that no one really cared about them throught the 30+ years they've been around, much like how hardly anyone cared about say B. Panther, KaZar, Moon Knight, Nighthawk or Blade comics.
The thing is, they can be far more than that, and they easily have their own unique premise, but Marvel doesn't seem to get that, so instead they continue to push them as "X-Men but different." They're not, though, and that's important.
True, but even still you'd want a writer and artist who have an interest in these characters to offer good/entertaining stories.

I've said it before, but Inhumans should effectively be cosmic Game of Thrones. Their Kree origins, combined with multiple factions and castes, combined with its own cast of characters...there's literally no reason why this can't happen, but for some reason Marvel is insistent on playing up the most basic interpretation (X-men but different).

With its own cast of characters and mythos, it has everything a standalone series should work, but yet they can't seem to get it right. It's upsetting, to me at least.I know most people don't give a shit, and I'm one of the few, if not the only one in this particular community who actually likes the Inhumans and wants them to be successful. Hopefully Karnak and Uncanny Inhumans can achieve that, but I doubt it. Apparently, Fraction left (or got booted off) Inhuman because he had some super big, cool idea and pitched it and the editorial rejected it. I have no idea what this pitch is, though, so I have no idea what his plan actually was. I'd like to, but I don't.
Uncanny Inhumans.
Uncanny.
They're using the traditional X-men subtitle here.

You make some good points, and I'd much rather they get good stories instead of having various Inhuman characters spread out through so many titles or books, but that's not the case.

Even if Marvel isn't using them to substitute the X-men, they're still having them show up a lot, which whether it'll work to make the Inhumans popular or not we will have to see.
Really all this exposure and showing off of Inhumans characters just feels like Ellis' Moon Knight; it was the most popular stories/run featuring the character but now not many would be interested in reading the comic.

frye

These were originally released under the name: Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller (which I bought) but these newer editions have some extra issues in them, which I am more than a little jealous about.

You get the Spectacular Spider-Man stuff (interesting for historical purposes only), #219 (cool, but not totally relevant to the material at hand), and Daredevil: Love and War (actually pretty neat because it's not collected anywhere else but it's totally there just to fill in the pages). You lose out on What If? #35 which is super great though

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ugh. FroYo has an ant problem currently. The pest control people are supposed to come once a month and they weren't coming. And then I call them on Monday afternoon and tell them they need to come in ASAP and they say hopefully Tuesday, but Wednesday (today) at the latest. Aaaand they didn't come in today. Yaaay.
Just hire Ant Man!

horrible Joke, I know

Tizoc

Started reading Irredeemable, not too impressed with it so far. A bit hard to take seriously, which I hope is the intent.

It might be more easier to take in after reading a lot of superhero comics or Superman comics.

There will be a bunch of comics that when you read the first time you won't enjoy or like, but come back to them and your view point on them changes.

Megatron

You get the Spectacular Spider-Man stuff (interesting for historical purposes only), #219 (cool, but not totally relevant to the material at hand), and Daredevil: Love and War (actually pretty neat because it's not collected anywhere else but it's totally there just to fill in the pages). You lose out on What If? #35 which is super great though

Yeah, true. What a weird decision to omit that issue of what if. I would really like to read dd 219. I don't think that's collected any where else either. IF they released a trade of the stuff they added I would buy it, but not going to re buy the volumes I already have. I also dislike how they gimped the second trade. The version I have has the entire Elektra saga, and it's incredible. Now you have to buy both volumes to get it all. I liked how the first volume was just miller art, and the third volume was mainly just miller's writing, but the second volume was both. That second volume may be my favorite graphic novel that I own.

MG310

NYCC seems like it's going to be thin on gaming related things again. Just seems to be Capcom and Namco again but there should at least be a good Street Fighter panel.

Seems like Square Enix doesn't even have their Play Arts shop/display this year.

Same thing happened with me and Chew. I wasn't feeling it at first, but after reading other comics and coming back to it, I realized how wrong I was.

frye

Yeah, true. What a weird decision to omit that issue of what if. I would really like to read dd 219. I don't think that's collected any where else either. IF they released a trade of the stuff they added I would buy it, but not going to re buy the volumes I already have. I also dislike how they gimped the second trade. The version I have has the entire Elektra saga, and it's incredible. Now you have to buy both volumes to get it all. I liked how the first volume was just miller art, and the third volume was mainly just miller's writing, but the second volume was both. That second volume may be my favorite graphic novel that I own.

That What If was omitted because they put it in the Elektra omnibus instead (boooo). A set of books with the Visionaries sequencing with Spectacular and 219 and the What Ifs in the 3rd book + combined Elektra Assassin/Love and War + Elektra Lives Again + Born Again + Man Without Fear would be aces (I think that's everything?) but I'll settle for a proper ELA reprint at this point.

e: alsoo the new Miller/Janson collections have the first few issues of them as the main team too which kinda sucked as someone who ended up reading that volume last

Top Bottom