• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Damn just finished Batman New 52 Court of the owls storyline. Pretty solid with a few roll my eyes moments but overall very enjoyable. About to start death of the family but what tie ins are a must.

Hey folks, I'm starting a Super Secret Project and I was wondering...what are some of the most entertainingly bizarre comics you guys have ever read?

Could be in a "kind of bad, but in an entertaining way" like Batman Odyssey.

Could be in a more traditional "in comics anything goes, so let's go everywhere" kind of way. Like...oh, what's a really good example of that? Invisibles? Promethia? Black Science?

I'm not specifically looking at superhero comics for this either, so sky's the limit here.

What would y'all recommend I look into? I really want to expand my horizons if I can.

Its been said a few times, but God Hates Astronauts was the most immediate thing to pop into my head when the word "bizarre" was read.

Sadist

xtlPs0z.jpg
11/10

Hey folks, I'm starting a Super Secret Project and I was wondering...what are some of the most entertainingly bizarre comics you guys have ever read?

Could be in a "kind of bad, but in an entertaining way" like Batman Odyssey.

Could be in a more traditional "in comics anything goes, so let's go everywhere" kind of way. Like...oh, what's a really good example of that? Invisibles? Promethia? Black Science?

I'm not specifically looking at superhero comics for this either, so sky's the limit here.

What would y'all recommend I look into? I really want to expand my horizons if I can.
Batman RIP by Grant Morrison. Reaches into the depths of Bat history and was pretty bizarre but good. I was suprised.

Ophelion

Its been said a few times, but God Hates Astronauts was the most immediate thing to pop into my head when the word "bizarre" was read.

It must be very strange for so many of you to recommend it. It's been added to the list. Right now, I have 33 titles on my list, some of which I've read before and most I haven't. Not all of them are quite Grant Morrison levels of out there, but it's a good range. I'm going to start diving in when I get home tonight.

I am excite.

None of them are worth it.

Death of the Family was the weakest Snyder arc. It doesn't help that it's followed by Zero Year, which was the best part of the series so far IMO.
Damn. You are definitely getting me excited for year zero. Ordered the trade volumes off Amazon and I'm reading them this weekend!

I completely forgot about the Clayface story. It doesn't help that it wasn't collected until after Zero Year in that crud TPB with that, the annuals and the Batman Eternal preview issue.

I know. DC was all like "We know you'll buy this garbage anyway because it has a #6 on the spine, and your a completest."

Messi

It must be very strange for so many of you to recommend it. It's been added to the list. Right now, I have 33 titles on my list, some of which I've read before and most I haven't. Not all of them are quite Grant Morrison levels of out there, but it's a good range. I'm going to start diving in when I get home tonight.

I am excite.

Try Shutter from Image. It's brilliantly wacky

I raise you a terrified assassin

Try Shutter from Image. It's brilliantly wacky

I raise you a terrified assassin

I was going to suggest that as well. Shutter is a brilliant story that can be random at times. It features quite the cast of mismatched and seemingly random characters and places, but somehow it all meshes together quite well.

Messi

I was going to suggest that as well. Shutter is a brilliant story that can be random at times. It features quite the cast of mismatched and seemingly random characters and places, but somehow it all meshes together quite well.

I love the madness in every issue. I need the next issue. The end of the last one makes a big promise.
trippy drug issue

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My best friend send me Alan Moores Neonomicon and my god, its something I enjoy with my full heart - Take something I like, put a lot of fan jerking in it and make at least a decent story.

Lovecraft <3

My first introduction to New 52 was the Joker Death of the Family with all the tie in issues. Let's just say it took me a while to come back.

My first introduction to New 52 was the Joker Death of the Family with all the tie in issues. Let's just say it took me a while to come back.
Oh, that bad huh? Guess I better stay away.

So what about other new 52 series? Any prticular stand outs? My friend told me to try the Flash vol. 1.

Honestly, I didn't hate Death of the Family. The tie-ins were hot garbage, but the main story was decent. My issue with it was it was all a big tease. They go on and on with things that are allegedly happening only for the end result to be NOTHING. The event itself was purely metaphorical.

So what about other new 52 series? Any prticular stand outs? My friend told me to try the Flash vol. 1.

Batman & Robin
Aquaman (up to about #40 or so)
Batgirl (from #35 on)
Green Arrow (vols 4-6)
Demon Knights
Justice League 3000/3001
Grayson
Gotham Academy

Flash has great art, but good lord, it is dull.

Ophelion

Flash is nothing special in the story department but it is soooooooooooooooooo beautiful. Panel layout is superb. Does that Eisner thing of working titles into the physical environment of the character. I eat that sort of thing up. I still get turned on thinking about the sound FX worked into objects in the environment in Batman and Robin. Only Frank Quietly could draw a comic where all the characters look like potatoes and I still think the art is outstanding.

Batman & Robin
Aquaman (up to about #40 or so)
Batgirl (from #35 on)
Green Arrow (vols 4-6)
Demon Knights
Justice League 3000/3001
Grayson
Gotham Academy

Flash has great art, but good lord, it is dull.

Flash is nothing special in the story department but it is soooooooooooooooooo beautiful. Panel layout is superb. Does that Eisner thing of working titles into the physical environment of the character. I eat that sort of thing up. I still get turned on thinking about the sound FX worked into objects in the environment in Batman and Robin. Only Frank Quietly could draw a comic where all the characters look like potatoes and I still think the art is outstanding.

The new Martian Manhunter has to be one of the best books DC has right now

Harley Quinn
Thx for the recommendation y'all.
Honestly, I didn't hate Death of the Family. The tie-ins were hot garbage, but the main story was decent. My issue with it was it was all a big tease. They go on and on with things that are allegedly happening only for the end result to be NOTHING. The event itself was purely metaphorical.
Huh. Interesting.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Plus it added something really stupid to Jokers lore.

Top Bottom