• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Zombine

Banned
What's with her crap fashion sense? Just because she is dead doesn't mean she has to dress like it.

Gwen is a fashion queen

5816b.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Maybe controversial. But I think bengals art kind is kind of bad. I feel really let down every time he is on an issue of batgirl. He draws really alien faces/heads.

love the cats, dislike the art. We probably shouldn't be giving animals pencils anyways.

Hmm yeah, I don't know if Preacher is for me. I can see why it's good, but I think the things that make it special, like the violence and the boldness, aren't really my thing.

I'll finish up this volume before deciding what to do.

I've never seen him change. Seems as legitimate as his Irish heritage.

No it is. Kipp even made it an avatar for me🌝

I think someone would have seen it...

Maybe controversial. But I think bengals art kind is kind of bad. I feel really let down every time he is on an issue of batgirl. He draws really alien faces/heads.

I really liked his art in Batgirl Annual... I should just start reading this comic already huh

Messi

Dat bengal quality in Avengers 34.2

XiO1VnG.jpg

Rfw0ViL.jpg

I wouldn't mind only in Batgirl everyone else they use is so much better than him. Babs art is just incredible.
his art got slightly better in the annual but I think something changed with the coloring.

Messi

Karl Kerschl deserves more praise. The look he has created for Gotham Academy is amazing, and it has made the school itself a character.

Hmm yeah, I don't know if Preacher is for me. I can see why it's good, but I think the things that make it special, like the violence and the boldness, aren't really my thing.

I'll finish up this volume before deciding what to do.

Best introduction to Ennis is his Hitman series, somewhat crude humor, lotsa heart, not very much violence. Second best is his Punisher/Nick Fury work (which is also, arguably, his magnum opus).

Preacher is in that weird place where WHEN it was released is almost as important as WHY. Was quite something at the time, and, being considerably younger, stuff like what the fat bastard wanted to protect was more acceptable.

Wouldn't be surprised if the TV adaption ends up being superior to the comic.

XiO1VnG.jpg

Rfw0ViL.jpg

I wouldn't mind only in Batgirl everyone else they use is so much better than him. Babs art is just incredible.
his art got slightly better in the annual but I think something changed with the coloring.
This is no bueno. In a lot of ways. The artist better have been close to deadline when they drew this.

That looks pretty mediocre but his art looked fine in Batgirl Annual IMO
tWTNrSI.png

I liked his facial expressions in it:
wJyIEdC.png

Best introduction to Ennis is his Hitman series, somewhat crude humor, lotsa heart, not very much violence. Second best is his Punisher/Nick Fury work (which is also, arguably, his magnum opus).

Preacher is in that weird place where WHEN it was released is almost as important as WHY. Was quite something at the time, and, being considerably younger, stuff like what the fat bastard wanted to protect was more acceptable.

Wouldn't be surprised if the TV adaption ends up being superior to the comic.

I can say that it is kind of growing on me.

I gotta wonder what the adaptation is going to be like. The vulgarity of it is almost like it's signature trait; without that, and of course within the context of when it was released, I think it loses a lot of its identity. This would have still been something that would be a pretty big deal if it were a faithful adaptation on television, but it's unlikely we'll get that on AMC. Even The Walking Dead was neutered for television in some pretty insignificant ways, past the obvious changes, but they still affect the overall tone of the series when you take all those changes as a whole.

Hopefully it does turn out better than the source material.

Femmeworth6244830 said:
Okay, I'm done with Irredeemable after #15. Had enough of this bullshit.

What's wrong with it?

How excited would you be Zombine?

I would be ecstatic.

Marjorie Liu + Sana Takeda - Monstress #1
Nov. 4th
$4.99
66 pgs

Astonishing X-Men and Black Widow writer MARJORIE LIU returns to comics with artist SANA TAKEDA (X-23) for an all-new ONGOING SERIES! Steampunk meets Kaiju in this original fantasy epic for mature readers, as young Maika risks everything to control her psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, placing her in the center of a devastating war between human and otherworldly forces. The adventure begins in a spectacular TRIPLE-SIZED FIRST ISSUE, with SIXTY-SIX pages of story and no ads for this one-time price of 4.99!

CBR has a preview up, but I won't link to it since it might be a bit NSFW.

Eh, not completely sold on the preview. There's some promise but the first page is a bit tacky given they are being sold like a sex slave. Also man slave. *rolls eyes*

Eh, not completely sold on the preview. There's some promise but the first page is a bit tacky given they are being sold like a sex slave. Also man slave. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that first page, but I certainly wouldn't judge a 66-page comic based on those first 3 pages. And I'm a big fan of Takeda's art, anyway. I've been looking forward to this book for a while.

I can say that it is kind of growing on me.

I gotta wonder what the adaptation is going to be like. The vulgarity of it is almost like it's signature trait; without that, and of course within the context of when it was released, I think it loses a lot of its identity. This would have still been something that would be a pretty big deal if it were a faithful adaptation on television, but it's unlikely we'll get that on AMC. Even The Walking Dead was neutered for television in some pretty insignificant ways, past the obvious changes, but they still affect the overall tone of the series when you take all those changes as a whole.

Hopefully it does turn out better than the source material.

Y'see, this is what i find weird about Preacher. To me, the best bits were those attached to Jesse's past and his relatives, especially Jody, on top of his relationship with Cass, Tulip and Starr + The Saint of Killers. The vulgarity doesn't even factor into the bits that i`d consider the most memorable.

And yet it is what's most often mentioned. Heck, in the thread back when the adaption was announced, it is legit what people most want to see.

Just seems like a series where you could easily take a scalpel to it and reduce to, say, 20 hours without much trouble.

This is no bueno. In a lot of ways. The artist better have been close to deadline when they drew this.

Was a special stand alone ish, most likely completely optional for the writer+artist. They had all the time in the world, and both the story and the art there were quite meh.

Vyer

Speaking of Ennis, I finished Red Rover Charlie not too long ago. I didn't know it shared a universe with Crossed until recently. I've never had a desire to read Crossed (and still don't), but I suppose I've seen a glimpse of some of the disturbing stuff and depravity in that book though RRC.

Still, though, RRC is much more heartfelt and endearing than I would have expected. Ive never read a book that crosses between disaster, survival, horror and Homeward Bound before.

Speaking of Ennis, I finished Red Rover Charlie not too long ago. I didn't know it shared a universe with Crossed until recently. I've never had a desire to read Crossed (and still don't), but I suppose I've seen a glimpse of some of the disturbing stuff and depravity in that book though RRC.

Don't quite recall that. Is a similar disease, but the one in RRD mostly causes humans to drop dead then and there, whereas the one in crossed.... does something else entirely.

RRC at its meanest is Calvin and Hobbes compared to pretty much any random Crossed issue, outside of Crossed 100.
---

...and having another look at the cover for RRD1, i can see why one would think it's the same disease.

Vyer

Don't quite recall that. Is a similar disease, but the one in RRD mostly causes humans to drop dead then and there, whereas the one in crossed.... does something else entirely.

RRC at its meanest is Calvin and Hobbes compared to pretty much any random Crossed issue, outside of Crossed 100.

Perhaps not, I'd read that somewhere.
RRC's humans seem to go psychotic, trying to hurt/maim/kill others and at some point themselves. Don't know what they do in Crossed.

But yeah...I'd heard as much about the series.

Top Bottom