• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
There's a fair amount of Varvara's back story in there, so I'd at least read 1946.

Ugh. Amazon.fr tells me 1946 is out of print, I see that there's an HC that covers 1946, 1947 and 1948 but I'd rather wait for a softcover version of that to come out... Thanks for the input anyway.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I just watched the Flashpoint Paradox OVA. I thought it was decent if a little too pleased in its own violence, but it made me think about continuity.

I don't really follow any DC ongoing books, but I understand this story created the new 52. How has that all shaped up? Did it work at giving readers a jumping in point? Did any characters actually diverge from their past in a real way? How are things going now?

It's usual comics fare.

Some good books, some bad books, some books that became good with a creative seat-change, some books that became bad with a creative seat-change. For the most part, most books became easy jumping on points (and they're still putting out new series/revamped titles that are good entry points).

Superman isn't as noble as he's particularly portrayed. I mean he's still Superman, but when we first see him, there's a bit more arrogance. Some twists on characters' origins (Wonder Woman, Green Arrow for example). Batman largely stayed the same, but the timeline of his career got a bit weirdly compacted.

Things are probably the most interesting right now as DC has now chosen to allow their creative teams to have a bit more freedom, worry less about line-wide continuity and instead just focus on telling whatever story they want to. As a result, we're getting interesting character shake-ups in some solo books like with robotic replacement Batman, underpowered Superman, on-the-run in space Green Lantern etc. while in Justice League, it's still largely status quo with the characters. The recent Batgirl revamp, and separating Dick Grayson from Nightwing as other examples. The recent Black Canary solo series, Omega Men, Constantine returning, Earth 2....

Black Panther has just debuted in the Reading Order I'm following. It's a hero I've never really read much of before, or know much about. His origin story is really interesting and slightly odd though. I had no idea Wakanda was this strange tribal/sci-fi place.

Again the artwork shows the sign of the times, I guess, as some of the stuff is rather cliché, but what can you do about it now.

I have one dude on my ignore list, and it's because he shit all over Drew Struzan.

Ha, was that from the Force Awakens poster thread? Man, that pissed me off. Fair enough not liking the poster but saying Struzan is terrible?

I've just noticed there's going to be another Eaglemoss graphic novel collection of the best DC stories starting in the UK soon, similarly to the Marvel one that started last year. Funny thing is the first book they're offering is Hush. I own a lot of them anyway so I won't be bothering with it.

http://www.eaglemoss.com/en-gb/comic-heroes/dc-comic-books/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=FBDCUK06

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh I adore Staples Betty.

I am a Betty mam. Most definitely.

#TeamBetty all dayyyy

XpobEml.png

I feel like this book will suffer without Fiona Staples. She is so perfect for it. It's a shame she wasn't able to do 5 issues for a full arc. Writing is funny though and I am enjoying it. Can't wait for Jughead. I am ludicrously excited for that.

at the very least, i'm glad she gets to "set" the world & character design up front. she's done a really amazing job so far... hopefully she returns in the future.

Have faith Messi. I think the next two artists will more than fit the series.

do we know who they are?

Isn't Annie Wu on 4? I love her art.

ohh, i wouldn't mind that at all

Zombine

Banned
I have no worries about Archie once Staples leaves the book. Annie Wu does an amazing job capturing faces and the human form just like Staples does, and the new girl who comes on after her, Veronica Fish (who I believe will be the full-time artist) is pretty GOAT tier for a newbie:

VeronicaFish_Promo.jpg

Gotta make sure we give her a chance because her work is pretty stellar. Basically, it's just business as usual, and 'm sure that Staples/Wu/Whoever will pop their heads back in every now and then. I think I'll get very cosy with Fish's awesome style.

And the moral of the story here is that you could throw any amazing artist on the series and Archie still wouldn't be a good guy. What a douche.

jon bones

I have no worries about Archie once Staples leaves the book. Annie Wu does an amazing job capturing faces and the human form just like Staples does, and the new girl who comes on after her, Veronica Fish (who I believe will be the full-time artist) is pretty GOAT tier for a newbie:

VeronicaFish_Promo.jpg

Gotta make sure we give her a chance because her work is pretty stellar. Basically, it's just business as usual, and 'm sure that Staples/Wu/Whoever will pop their heads back in every now and then. I think I'll get very cosy with Fish's awesome style.

And the moral of the story here is that you could throw any amazing artist on the series and Archie still wouldn't be a good guy. What a douche.

oh nice, she seems great!

do we know how well Archie 1 sold?

also, how is he a douche? seems like a bro to me

Hagi

Archie is quite a big thing no? can't say I've ever had much experience with the IP outside of occasional references to Jughead in American movies. Is the Francavilla Zombie comic worth reading?

Archie is quite a big thing no? can't say I've ever had much experience with the IP outside of occasional references to Jughead in American movies. Is the Francavilla Zombie comic worth reading?

It's better than this series. Just be prepared to waif lifetimes between issues.

Chilling Adventures is also great.

Zombine

Banned
Think I'll give it a read when I get paid. Had no idea that Sabrina was a Archie character is her ongoing good as well? I loved her 90's show growing up.

Sabrina is great as well, but it deflated a few people because the wait between issue 1 which came out last October and issue 2 which released in like...May wasn't that strong. It wasn't a bad issue by any means, it was good even, but people had to wait forever for #2 and it wasn't mind blowing. Give it a chance now that it's on a semi decent schedule though.

Hagi

It's better than this series. Just be prepared to waif lifetimes between issues.

Chilling Adventures is also great.

I don't really care for slice of life stuff anyway so there's little chance of me reading the main book. I'd rather read that Predator mini tbh.

Sabrina is great as well, but it deflated a few people because the wait between issue 1 which came out last October and issue 2 which released in like...May wasn't that strong. It wasn't a bad issue by any means, it was good even, but people had to wait forever for #2 and it wasn't mind blowing. Give it a chance now that it's on a semi decent schedule though.

Wow that's a long time between debut issues. I'll definitely give it a look I think it's something my girlfriend might like as well, she was a big Sabrina fan growing up and love Witches in general. Thanks for the help.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Of course Freeza likes the rich girl Veronica over the common woman Betty. Of course.
So do we have tothis BallerGAF trope keep going on or do we want to maybe really let it go and try to get our old posters back?

I would rather do the second part, but making jokes of it all the times doesnt help IMO?

I don't really care for slice of life stuff anyway so there's little chance of me reading the main book. I'd rather read that Predator mini tbh.

I haven't read vs Predator, but I heard talk it was pretty fantastic as well.

Archie has basically been having a renaissance the past 2 years.

Hagi

So do we have tothis BallerGAF trope keep going on or do we want to maybe really let it go and try to get our old posters back?

I would rather do the second part, but making jokes of it all the times doesnt help IMO?

It's harmless fun. Nobody should give a shit about how much money people spend on their hobbies. People post Ferraris in the pick up thread on gaming yet you still get posts like "Got some new chocolate today" followed by 4 pictures of a Cadburys Dairy Milk.

Yeah it's kinda snuck up on me I always thought Archie was the US equivalent of something like the Beano. Always nice to have something new to read though.

Messi

What are you even talking about? This is nothing to do with BallerGAF. If this is how this place is gonna go I'd rather just take my leave as well

Hagi

Dat Jim Lee art I've got the first Uncanny Omnibus but I'd really like to get some of those stories as well

What are you even talking about? This is nothing to do with BallerGAF. If this is how this place is gonna go I'd rather just take my leave as well

Just ignore it Messi there's nothing wrong with your posts. Policing how people should interact in here is a sure fire way of keeping new members out and I say this as someone relatively new to the community.

Sadist

Pardon my ignorance, but the Archie thing is making a return of some sorts?

I think the only times I've seen Archie here in Holland was because of the old cartoon, so I have some grasp of who Archie, Jughead, Betty and Veronica are. I did however read Afterlife with Archie and I thought that was enjoyable. But I enjoy the majority of undead related stuff so lol.

I think the only times I've seen Archie here in Holland was because of the old cartoon, so I have some grasp of who Archie, Jughead, Betty and Veronica are. I did however read Afterlife with Archie and I thought that was enjoyable. But I enjoy the majority of undead related stuff so lol.

The first two issues of the recent relaunch are the first Archie books I've read. It's been great thus far. I'd definitely recommend it.

Y'know, drawing a swole magneto makes about as much sense as drawing a swole Xavier.

Unless they were originally going for some meta commentary about him being a representation of humanity's apex or whatever.

Messi

Like me giving Freeza shit is nothing new. It's not a BallerGAF thing. She isn't even part of BallerGAF. She is a figuregaf member.

Hagi

Y'know, drawing a swole magneto makes about as much sense as drawing a swole Xavier.

Unless they were originally going for some meta commentary about him being a representation of humanity's apex or whatever.

I'm that used to seeing Magneto swole I'm taken aback when he isn't. I like to think when he's not trying to destroy the human race he's just constantly doing salmon ladders in the Savage Land which typing out kinda sounds like a sex act.

jon bones

Wow that's a long time between debut issues. I'll definitely give it a look I think it's something my girlfriend might like as well, she was a big Sabrina fan growing up and love Witches in general. Thanks for the help.

I'd suggest starting with Afterlife with Archie #6 - it's a stand alone Sabrina story and it's amazing.

Archie vs. Predator is fantastic. Classic 80s horror movie wrapped up in classic Archie hijinks.

Yeah it's kinda snuck up on me I always thought Archie was the US equivalent of something like the Beano. Always nice to have something new to read though.

I have a soft spot for the world. It was one of the few English comics available during Summer vacations to India & Sri Lanka with my parents as a child (apparently it's huge over there for some reason.)

Seeing it being treated so well by Waid, Staples & the publisher makes me super happy - the franchise was at risk of becoming irrelevant, but now a whole new generation of youngins can enjoy Riverdale.

I hope the CW show is good, but I have doubts it'll be better than season 1 of The OC.

I don't know how I feel yet. It's not bad, but Fowler is no Upchurch.

I'd like to see expressions, Betty's in particular, worked on a bit. They should be as far down the edge of exaggeration possible without going full Chuck Jones.

ratqueensexp.png

I see the attempt being made in the latest issue, it's just a bit too rigid still. Everything else about the art I'm fully on board with.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Where can you find Shakespeare head butting an editor? Eddie Campbell's The Lovely Horrible Stuff, a book about money and the madness that surrounds it.

That art is the coolest. I'm so excited to read Bacchus. I'll probably end up checking out more of Campbell's stuff after that.

Like me giving Freeza shit is nothing new. It's not a BallerGAF thing. She isn't even part of BallerGAF. She is a figuregaf member.

Haha yeah. The whole BallerGAF thing wasn't about not mentioning the term "BallerGAF," it was about the "CHECK ME OUT I'M SPENDING MONEY" mindset.
You're all good, Messi.

Messi

That art is the coolest. I'm so excited to read Bacchus. I'll probably end up checking out more of Campbell's stuff after that.

Haha yeah. The whole BallerGAF thing wasn't about not mentioning the term "BallerGAF," it was about the "CHECK ME OUT I'M SPENDING MONEY" mindset.
You're all good, Messi.

Also lol at thinking BallerGAF was the reason people like JC left. How often are things like pages being bought posted here? I've not bought one in months.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
BoulderingGAF was honestly becoming a bigger threat to this community, imo.

Yeah, BoulderingGAF could've crushed ComicsGAF if it wanted to. BoulderinGAF is full of mercy and grace, however, and allowed ComicsGAF to live.

Also lol at thinking BallerGAF was the reason people like JC left. How often are things like pages being bought posted here? I've not bought one in months.

Yeah, for real. Though I still don't actually get why JC left. It seemed very sudden.

Please keep this to yourself. You don't want to intimidate people who don't boulder into leaving.

Hahaha. Well done.

No lies detected.

Any Hellboy buffs here? I'm following this reading order chart and making my way through the books, last book I read is Plague Of Frogs vol 4 (great stuff btw, shit hit the fan pretty hard). Will I miss stuff if I skip BPRD 1946/1947/1948/Vampire and go straight to the Abe Sapiens books and BPRD Being Human?

Thing is I'm trying to get some books to read over the holydays and I won't be able to get 1946 in time so...

I'm loathe to be that guy, but it really is all pretty essential. 47-48-Vampire is mildly self contained but god is it a story.

WOW.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm loathe to be that guy, but it really is all pretty essential. 47-48-Vampire is mildly self contained but god is it a story.

WOW.
Essential in a "oh god this story is the bomb" way or "yeah, you're going to miss some stuff afterwards way? Because I don't intend on skipping it altogether, just read some stuff while I the books are available.

Essential in a "oh god this story is the bomb" way or "yeah, you're going to miss some stuff afterwards way? Because I don't intend on skipping it altogether, just read some stuff while I the books are available.

Both.

If you have the weird tales books, you can obviously read those unbothered.

Zombine

Banned
I'm at a point where I'm afraid to read Hellboy (even though I own it) because I know I need like a billion other books for that Hickman-like experience.

I'm at a point where I'm afraid to read Hellboy (even though I own it) because I know I need like a billion other books for that Hickman-like experience.

You can definitely read just Hellboy. BPRD is awesome though and very much worth reading if you do want more.

I don't know if I'll be reading any of the other stuff anytime soon at least. I am interested in Lobster Johnson but I think I'm gonna take a break from the universe once I get to Hellboy in Hell/BPRD Hell on Earth.

Top Bottom