• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Zombine

Banned
The way I'm interpreting this is that they want to go back to the crappy house style and cut out the charm with books like Gotham Academy?

It's probably the first episodic game I played that really benefits from the structure. Each episode feels self contained and wallops you with emotional hooks that you really need to put the controller down and think on it for a while.

Spoiler out your current game:

-saved Kate
-helped alt-Chloe kill herself
-didn't shoot Frank
-warned Victoria, who believed me

- saved Kate (her scene in Episode 4 warmed my cold heart)
- didn't kill Chloe
- didn't shoot Frank
- warned Victoria, she believed me

Alright, I'm going to take a step back, realize this is BC we're talking about here. Quick look at their site tells me people aren't buying this.

I'll save my table flipping for when shit actually happens.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Best parts about the Harley figure are the Joker doll accessory and the extra puppy. Those alone are worth the $4. :D

WZILF3i.jpg

The way I'm interpreting this is that they want to go back to the crappy house style and cut out the charm with books like Gotham Academy?
Essentially, yes.

Prez might not even make it to twelve issues as was originally planned. Poor Prez.

Prez #1 - 28,309
Prez #2 - 13,178

I'm enjoying Prez, btw. One of the only "DC You" books I tried that I kept reading.

Messi

Essentially, yes.

Prez might not even make it to twelve issues as was originally planned. Poor Prez.

Prez #1 - 28,309
Prez #2 - 13,178

I'm enjoying Prez, btw. One of the only "DC You" books I tried that I kept reading.

There was a reason they split it into two 6 issue arcs. That's totally getting canned at #6

Zombine

Banned
Essentially, yes.

Prez #1 - 28,309
Prez #2 - 13,178

It's very good.

Why do all the good books get canceled? :(

Messi

Less books people don't buy. More books people do buy.

Wouldn't want to do that.

Cause people don't buy them.

True. But I won't replace DC's Batgirling books with house style books. I'll just drop the books and buy books that I like the look of elsewhere. I pick up so few DC books now anyway.

True. But I won't replace DC's Batgirling books with house style books. I'll just drop the books and buy books that I like the look of elsewhere. I pick up so few DC books now anyway.

If you, when DC is doing so many weird ass off the wall books, aren't buying very many then you're not even a consideration in their eyes. Literally nothing would make you buy more at this point outside of them focus testing you and putting out books specifically targeted at you.

Messi

If you, when DC is doing so many weird ass off the wall books, aren't buying very many then you're not even a consideration in their eyes. Literally nothing would make you buy more at this point outside of them focus testing you and putting out books specifically targeted at you.

I buy all the books that are targeted under that Batgirling heading.

Actually I probably pull more DC than I first considered. I am even getting Martian Manhunter.

The thing that we can be sure about, is that the "people who do buy" these books are feeding a completely sustainable marketplace, one that has seen not a hair of gratuitious inflation, one that has seen zero reader drop off in the past three decades, one that is strong and thriving.

What we know to be the right course of action would be to take content, judge it on its success or failure in a dying ecosystem, and if it survives in this small Tabula Rasa in the middle of a desert, it lives. If not? We do not build new ecosystems. We do not find new ways to reach out. We do not let stories live for a while to find and build an audience outside of that little Tabula Rasa, where other organisms live and thrive, and sometimes peek in through the walls of that Tabula Rasa out of curiosity, and sometimes grab things here and there, pull them out, and give them new life somewhere else.

We don't do that, not now, not ever.

DC's new marketing campaign - "Time to get Messi."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
well at this point i might as well wait til they end Gotham Academy before reading it

Archie got me in the mood for hijinks

Cause people don't buy them.

Oh thank God.

If, for the sake of discussion, we take this as a real statement and at face value, then we'd assume Batgirl is considered a failing book. Which would mean that to cut out anything at or below that level DC would need to cancel something like 2/3rds of their ongoings and like half of the remaining ongoings haven't sold much better than Batgirl has.

The thing that we can be sure about, is that the "people who do buy" these books are feeding a completely sustainable marketplace, one that has seen not a hair of gratuitious inflation, one that has seen zero reader drop off in the past three decades, one that is strong and thriving.

What we know to be the right course of action would be to take content, judge it on its success or failure in a dying ecosystem, and if it survives in this small Tabula Rasa in the middle of a desert, it lives. If not? We do not build new ecosystems. We do not find new ways to reach out. We do not let stories live for a while to find and build an audience outside of that little Tabula Rasa, where other organisms live and thrive, and sometimes peek in through the walls of that Tabula Rasa out of curiosity, and sometimes grab things here and there, pull them out, and give them new life somewhere else.

We don't do that, not now, not ever.

4p9r5.gif

If, for the sake of discussion, we take this as a real statement and at face value, then we'd assume Batgirl is considered a failing book. Which would mean that to cut out anything at or below that level DC would need to cancel something like 2/3rds of their ongoings and like half of the remaining ongoings haven't sold much better than Batgirl has.

The article specifically mentions that Batgirl is safe. I think they're referring to the books that dropped to like 13k after the 2nd issue from 30k.

Also I believe they mean stuff like Jean's Superman and Rabbit Batman.

Checking Comic Book Sales for last month
71 Batgirl 42 $2.99 DC 33,168

Why are you all even wasting time thinking that's a serious rumor?

The article specifically mentions that Batgirl is safe. I think they're referring to the books that dropped to like 13k after the 2nd issue from 30k.

Also I believe they mean stuff like Jean's Superman and Rabbit Batman.

Can't speak for Superman, but Batman wouldn't make any sense unless pre-orders have plummeted, digital sales are down a lot, or they just expected a bigger and more sustained bounce from the story hook. The Diamond sales numbers on the two main Batman ongoings haven't been any worse than they were with Bruce as Batman in the two months for which we have data.

Top Bottom