• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

paging Poodlestrike.

Desperately hoping it's fake. Which it probably is.

Setting aside the source, DC's only started "Batgirling" in earnest since Convergence wrapped. Which would mean that they've decided that their problem is the new titles in the 2.5 months they've been around vs. the rest of the lineup in the rest of the year.

Ponn

Banned
Unsurprising. Keep propping up withering ideologies with sidetracking geegaws.

When I deploy distractions it's to prop up thriving ideologies. That's what makes me great.

ABkMMql.jpg

"I already wrote myself to win"

Boogiepop

About to place an IST order. Just to confirm before pulling the trigger: You guys were highly recommending Power Girl: Power Trip in the past before, right? It's been sitting in my wishlist on IST for a while now, so I was thinking I may just pull the trigger thanks to the few extra percent off right now...

Messi

About to place an IST order. Just to confirm before pulling the trigger: You guys were highly recommending Power Girl: Power Trip in the past before, right? It's been sitting in my wishlist on IST for a while now, so I was thinking I may just pull the trigger thanks to the few extra percent off right now...

Power Trip is amazing

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh geez. Just put some books away that have been sitting on my desk for a while. My shelf is very nearly at maximum capacity. No more room in my room for shelves either... I need to buy wisely. And probably sell some stuff off.

One of my favorites. It's good fun with excellent art.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ok tonight I'm going to get through at least 3 issues of Deadly Class. Meant to do it last night but forgot to download them to my tablet.

Right. MGS1.
Coupla things
First, most pannels are drawn as they were exhibited in the game, so there's tons of deja vu going on.
Second, fuck me sideways, i do wish that they had updated the writing. Stuff's rough as hell.

IST ORDER SUCCESS

CAPCOM FIGHTING TRIBUTE HC
IXTH GENERATION TP VOL 01
RUNLOVEKILL TP VOL 01 (MR)
SUNSTONE OGN VOL 03 (MR)
USAGI YOJIMBO SAGA TP VOL 04

But Jesus Christ, dat Capcom Fighting Tribute was $43. At least it's almost 300 pages. Also, what happened to Last Days of American Crime? Hardcover was supposed to be out this week. Unless it got delayed again. Oh, Image.

Edit: It did.... Next week, apparently. This is like the 4th time it got pushed back.

ElNarez

Banned
Why the fuck are we giving Johnston credit for anything? The guy JUST ran a headline looking for comic creators in that Ashley Madison leak.

Fuck him, fuck his broken clock take on "insider knowledge", fuck his fucking over anybody and anything that's not his byline, I'll believe it when I hear they cancelled The Omega Men.

And while I'm at it, let's not give a fuck about the Diamond numbers because that's about as antiquated as Nielsen ratings, and anyone can game that system through variants or loot crate or whatever the fuck, it doesn't include digital, it's just hella bullshit all the way.

Wiseblade

Amazing Spider-Man 73

I can't decide if Stan Lee was a genius or an idiot. On one hand, he has Spjey going blow for blow with a regular guy for half the issue, but the other half is Robbie Robertson discussing race relations with his son in a scene that still rings a little true today (if you can look past the painful attempts at slang).

Why the fuck are we giving Johnston credit for anything? The guy JUST ran a headline looking for comic creators in that Ashley Madison leak.

Fuck him, fuck his broken clock take on "insider knowledge", fuck his fucking over anybody and anything that's not his byline, I'll believe it when I hear they cancelled The Omega Men.

And while I'm at it, let's not give a fuck about the Diamond numbers because that's about as antiquated as Nielsen ratings, and anyone can game that system through variants or loot crate or whatever the fuck, it doesn't include digital, it's just hella bullshit all the way.

Oh, I agree they're not super useful, but unfortunately they're also all we really have at the moment.

ElNarez

Banned
I mean seriously it's fucking unsubstantiated rumor-mongering clickbait bullshit of the highest order, tailor-made to vindicate Bleeding Cool's target audience of mid-40s assholes who are making comics actively worse for everyone by rejecting the idea that anyone else like women, minorities or those icky lgbts would want to read superhero comics.

Edit: It's that last fucking sentence
Comic book audiences are a lot more conservative than some people give them credit for.

it's like FUCK you can hear him gloating from miles, telling people "don't worry it's gonna be fine the wimminz will stop ruining your precious comics soon and we're gonna put Carol Danvers back in her place, which is IN A SWIMSUIT, AND ALSO A KITCHEN, DOING THE SANDWICHES FOR THE REAL THOR, WHO IS A MAN, HASHTAG #JANEWILLNEVERBEMYTHOR"

tim1138

I mean seriously it's fucking unsubstantiated rumor-mongering clickbait bullshit of the highest order, tailor-made to vindicate Bleeding Cool's target audience of mid-40s assholes who are making comics actively worse for everyone by rejecting the idea that anyone else like women, minorities or those icky lgbts would want to read superhero comics.

clapping-crowd-applause.gif

Edit: It's that last fucking sentence

it's like FUCK you can hear him gloating from miles, telling people "don't worry it's gonna be fine the wimminz will stop ruining your precious comics soon and we're gonna put Carol Danvers back in her place, which is IN A SWIMSUIT, AND ALSO A KITCHEN, DOING THE SANDWICHES FOR THE REAL THOR, WHO IS A MAN, HASHTAG #JANEWILLNEVERBEMYTHOR"

god fuck him forever.

As a person who has not seen the cartoon, is the new Jem and the Holograms comic worth it at $.99 and issue? I'm tempted.

Also hoping DC doesn't go cancel happy and those rumors are bullshit. I wasn't a huge fan of new52, Batman withstanding, and think it has gotten considerably better, though I don't follow much that isn't Bat related.

AND that hip hop cover stuff is some fuckery.

Messi

As a person who has not seen the cartoon, is the new Jem and the Holograms comic worth it at $.99 and issue? I'm tempted.

Also hoping DC doesn't go cancel happy and those rumors are bullshit. I wasn't a huge fan of new52, Batman withstanding, and think it has gotten considerably better, though I don't follow much that isn't Bat related.

Yes. Jem is fantastic if you like fun books. It starts from her origin anyway.

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel Editor Admits The Best Stories Were From Whenever You Started Reading Comics
Posted August 26 by by Rich Johnston

Marvel has been making many controversial moves lately, from making Captain America black, to making Thor a woman, to having all those LGBT characters running around and making out or whatever it is they do. It's got people talking, and it's got fans extremely worried.

Well, worry no more fans. I have a number of sources at Marvel, and they're all telling me that Alex Alonso thinks the best stories the House of Ideas have ever published are from the era you, yes you reading this right now, started reading comic books.

In fact, it might be the reason why they're reverting back to those golden days, with both the proper Thor and the proper Captain America set to return "very shortly", according to an email I may or may not have made up.

Need more concrete proof? Well, they already announced they're proudly making Hercules heterosexual again, as he always was whenever you were reading comics.

So don't worry, comic fans, it's gonna be great to be you in the next few months. Because Marvel has heard you, and they're going back to whenever you started reading.

Unless you started reading recently, because of all the women and the minorities and the lgbts popping up, in which case FUCK YOU.

tim1138

Marvel Editor Admits The Best Stories Were From Whenever You Started Reading Comics
Posted August 26 by by Rich Johnston

Marvel has been making many controversial moves lately, from making Captain America black, to making Thor a woman, to having all those LGBT characters running around and making out or whatever it is they do. It's got people talking, and it's got fans extremely worried.

Well, worry no more fans. I have a number of sources at Marvel, and they're all telling me that Alex Alonso thinks the best stories the House of Ideas have ever published are from the era you, yes you reading this right now, started reading comic books.

In fact, it might be the reason why they're reverting back to those golden days, with both the proper Thor and the proper Captain America set to return "very shortly", according to an email I may or may not have made up.

Need more concrete proof? Well, they already announced they're proudly making Hercules heterosexual again, as he always was whenever you were reading comics.

So don't worry, comic fans, it's gonna be great to be you in the next few months. Because Marvel has heard you, and they're going back to whenever you started reading.

Unless you started reading recently, because of all the women and the minorities and the lgbts popping up, in which case FUCK YOU.

Not enough typos to be a real BC post, but you nailed the tone for sure

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
last time we checked Angel was feather winged and with no memory of his past. Comics.

Good for Monet tho, she was cool in the all lady team

Honestly, people have been predicting that Gotham Academy & Co. are about to get canceled every month since they launched, but looking at the November solicits and it's all good. The more I think about it, the more sure I am that Bleeding Cool is just indulging in Tales from the Ass.

Messi

Honestly, people have been predicting that Gotham Academy & Co. are about to get canceled every month since they launched, but looking at the November solicits and it's all good. The more I think about it, the more sure I am that Bleeding Cool is just indulging in Tales from the Ass.

I have a feeling Gotham Academy is only going to get enough issues for two trades :(

Speaking of trades. I love that the Squirrel Girls trade has all the letters from each issue.

Well, I mean, the idea that books that don't sell well tend to get canned isn't exactly going out on a limb, but the vague specifics are probably nonsense. That's mostly what I was (badly) trying to point out earlier: Most of it doesn't even make sense as it is presented.

Sadist

Btw, I have a free digital copy of Avengers Time Runs Out volume 3 (collecting Avengers 40-42 and New Avengers 29-30) to give away.

First person to correctly answer the following question gets the code;

Q: Star-Lord really liked something about Doctor Strange in Secret Wars. What exactly?

I have a feeling Gotham Academy is only going to get enough issues for two trades :(

Speaking of trades. I love that the Squirrel Girls trade has all the letters from each issue.

We're safe through issue 12, so I think we might get 3.

Well, I mean, the idea that books that don't sell well tend to get canned isn't exactly going out on a limb, but the vague specifics are probably nonsense. That's mostly what I was (badly) trying to point out earlier: Most of it doesn't even make sense as it is presented.

I mean... yeah, underperforming books get the axe, but "underperforming" is relative, I guess? Like, there's other factors. I don't think the doom & gloom is warranted, really.

Messi

We're safe through issue 12, so I think we might get 3.

I mean... yeah, underperforming books get the axe, but "underperforming" is relative, I guess? Like, there's other factors. I don't think the doom & gloom is warranted, really.

That's good. It's a really fantastic book. The world they have built inside the school is really compelling.i like to believe Gotham Academy is one of those Ms Marvel deals where it's selling better digitally than it is in print.

Maps is great but I really love Olive most. I love her character design.

Top Bottom