• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Tizoc

Right. MGS1.

Coupla things
First, most pannels are drawn as they were exhibited in the game, so there's tons of deja vu going on.
Second, fuck me sideways, i do wish that they had updated the writing. Stuff's rough as hell.

It borrows lines from the games doesn't it?

That's good. It's a really fantastic book. The world they have built inside the school is really compelling.i like to believe Gotham Academy is one of those Ms Marvel deals where it's selling better digitally than it is in print.

Maps is great but I really love Olive most. I love her character design.

Olive's character design is ace, but what I really like is her personal arc; the authors are doing a dynamite job of capturing that sort of... awkward, reaching sense of loss that comes with being from a broken home. You just want to blame somebody, you know? And they're doing a great job toeing that line with Olive.

Maps is a ton of fun, and the Academy is great too, though I have to wonder how something like Hugo Strange, School Counselor is going to play out XD

Messi

Olive's character design is ace, but what I really like is her personal arc; the authors are doing a dynamite job of capturing that sort of... awkward, reaching sense of loss that comes with being from a broken home. You just want to blame somebody, you know? And they're doing a great job toeing that line with Olive.

Maps is a ton of fun, and the Academy is great too, though I have to wonder how something like Hugo Strange, School Counselor is going to play out XD

This is it for me. Her story is absolutely heartbreaking to me. Those croc issues :(

Look at this art. Like holy shit. Kerschl is so good

tumblr_nm3wicF9o41tsp8k5o5_1280.png

Olives dress 💝💝💝💝💝. Maps wearing a tux to the ball was also perfect.

Oh and Batman is a dick.

This is it for me. Her story is absolutely heartbreaking to me. Those croc issues :(

Look at this art. Like holy shit. Kerschl is so good

Olives dress ����������. Maps wearing a tux to the ball was also perfect.

Oh and Batman is a dick.

I think I'm gonna reread it now.

Oh, and on Batman: it's always cool to get an outside (like, REALLY outside) perspective on him, because unless you know what's going on in his head, or seeing him from the perspective of someone who does... he's just a really scary hardass. Like, it makes perfect sense for Olive to hate him, he locked up her mom and Croc is terrified of the dude, and she likes Croc, so clearly Batman is to blame for everything going wrong, which plays into the broken home angle. Wonderfully done.

Messi

I think I'm gonna reread it now.

Oh, and on Batman: it's always cool to get an outside (like, REALLY outside) perspective on him, because unless you know what's going on in his head, or seeing him from the perspective of someone who does... he's just a really scary hardass. Like, it makes perfect sense for Olive to hate him, he locked up her mom and Croc is terrified of the dude, and she likes Croc, so clearly Batman is to blame for everything going wrong, which plays into the broken home angle. Wonderfully done.

It's a bit like Gotham Central, every time he shows up its like holy crap there's batman doing his thing and being a dickhead...and now he's gone. I totally understand why olive hates him and I think they did a wonderful job conveying the reason why.

It's a bit like Gotham Central, every time he shows up its like holy crap there's batman doing his thing and being a dickhead...and now he's gone. I totally understand why olive hates him and I think they did a wonderful job conveying the reason why.

Yeah, Gotham Central is exactly what I was thinking of. It's rare that we get a look at how the whole "terrifying the superstitious cowardly lot" act goes over with regular people. Always a treat.

ElNarez

Banned
you know what's an underrated book? Gotham By Midnight. It's Big Two Fawkes at his best, writing stories about fucked up people and the fucked up magic things they come across.

The big thing they face at the end of the first arc is basically
retribution for the fact Gotham like much of America is built on stolen land.
And it's great and it's daring and the Specter is in it being all weird and fucked up it's great.

tim1138

you know what's an underrated book? Gotham By Midnight. It's Big Two Fawkes at his best, writing stories about fucked up people and the fucked up magic things they come across.

And it's great and it's daring and the Specter is in it being all weird and fucked up it's great.

And it's had two great artists on it too, going from Ben Templesmith to Juan Ferreyra. Strong writing and stylish as hell art, it's fantastic.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Yup. Gotham by Midnight and Gotham Academy are fantastic.

Thor #346 - #353: The whole build up to the war and the war it self was brilliant.
For Asgard! For Midgard! For Myself!
. I am really enjoying Balder's whole story line too. Interesting to see all the Avengers play bit parts. Was there any event that tied into this?

Thor 352? Red herring.

If its a different ish, then yeah. I'm assuming that dudes be trying to punk surtur.

This was Thor #350. I see what you mean about Thor #352 though, that was amazing.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up on the Marvel wiki. It might be a colouring mistake, design looks like Hermod.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Thor_Vol_1_350

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hermod_(Earth-616)

Owzers

I think it's sad that in 2015 people on comics-gaf cannot rally around Trump 2016. This should be Trump-GAF. Trump should be the new Thor.

Gain of salt and all because it's Bleeding Cool, but Bleeding Cool has a gossip article up saying that on the back of revenues being down for 2015 DC editors are being told to "stop Batgirling" and get back to basics.
Sounds like nonsense
This is for whoever hates Inhumans but was in two minds about Karnak because Ellis was writing it.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/warren-ellis-karnak-is-a-dementedly-intense-philosopher
Except he is an Inhuman, and Ellis is straight up wrong. He genetically and socially identifies as an Inhuman. His powers manifested early, and he never entered the mists, but he is an Inhuman.

By Right of Birth, son. Unless there's another series that retcons him into not being an Inhuman. If not, and if Ellis decides to do that, I'm going to be legitimately upset.

Also:
Marvel Wikia said:
Karnak is the second son of an Inhuman priest / philosopher named Mander and an ocean biologist named Azur. They sent their first son, Triton, into the Terrigen Mist when he was an infant, rendering him incapable of functioning outside an aquatic environment. Thus, they pleaded to raise Karnak without Terrgen mutation (Terrigenesis). Karnak was enrolled in his father's religious seminary in the Tower of Wisdom, where he trained in various physical and mental disciplines until he was eighteen years old. Azur died in a mysterious undersea mishap. Mander is still a teacher at the seminary.
http://marvel.com/universe/Karnak
Comics don't get more fun than this! awwww yea
https://www.comixology.com/Back-to-School-Sale/page/7875?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

youngjustice1.jpg

PADs Young Justice is the bestest. lil Lobo!!! And they even gave him depth! impulse is never written better than in the YJ series. lil Gotham is cuteness overload. Same with tiny Titans. darkseid is their principal

tinytitansdarkseid3.JPG
Fantastic

Read the first two issues of Jem and as promised, fun and light hearted so far.

Read Archie #2 as well. If you had told me a year ago I'd be looking forward to an Archie book, I would've laughed at you. Mark and Fiona are killing it, I'll be sad to see Saga start back up.

Jughead should rock too. Chip!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Marvel Editor Admits The Best Stories Were From Whenever You Started Reading Comics
Posted August 26 by by Rich Johnston

Marvel has been making many controversial moves lately, from making Captain America black, to making Thor a woman, to having all those LGBT characters running around and making out or whatever it is they do. It's got people talking, and it's got fans extremely worried.

Well, worry no more fans. I have a number of sources at Marvel, and they're all telling me that Alex Alonso thinks the best stories the House of Ideas have ever published are from the era you, yes you reading this right now, started reading comic books.

In fact, it might be the reason why they're reverting back to those golden days, with both the proper Thor and the proper Captain America set to return "very shortly", according to an email I may or may not have made up.

Need more concrete proof? Well, they already announced they're proudly making Hercules heterosexual again, as he always was whenever you were reading comics.

So don't worry, comic fans, it's gonna be great to be you in the next few months. Because Marvel has heard you, and they're going back to whenever you started reading.

Unless you started reading recently, because of all the women and the minorities and the lgbts popping up, in which case FUCK YOU.

*slow clap*

Phew what a day.

Comics don't get more fun than this! awwww yea
https://www.comixology.com/Back-to-School-Sale/page/7875?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

PADs Young Justice is the bestest. lil Lobo!!! And they even gave him depth! impulse is never written better than in the YJ series. lil Gotham is cuteness overload. Same with tiny Titans. darkseid is their principal

Just because I don't want to see you left hanging mate, I just wanted you to know I'm definitely picking up YJ at some point, probably soon. I'll start with the first set of issues though, so I'm not going all-in to capitalize on the sale.

It's actually a series I've always wanted to read since I was a wee comic reader who didn't buy shit in sequential order.

Just read Deadly Class #7. I hate it when my girlfriend tries to kill me to prove a point to another girl. It's very rude.

Yeah but at least she "apologized." ;)

You can't stay mad at her.

Maria is still 10x better than that Saya smut.

FITE ME

ElNarez

Banned
y'all fight amongst your inferior deadly class picking selves, while I'm up here in Team Petra being goth as all hell and therefore better than you

Messi

Read the first two issues of Jem and as promised, fun and light hearted so far.

Read Archie #2 as well. If you had told me a year ago I'd be looking forward to an Archie book, I would've laughed at you. Mark and Fiona are killing it, I'll be sad to see Saga start back up.

Jughead should rock too. Chip!

Pls Fiona must go back to the mother ship. This was only a fleeting 3 issue stint.

Don't you worry, the feels train is coming in Jem.

Just because I don't want to see you left hanging mate, I just wanted you to know I'm definitely picking up YJ at some point, probably soon. I'll start with the first set of issues though, so I'm not going all-in to capitalize on the sale.

It's actually a series I've always wanted to read since I was a wee comic reader who didn't buy shit in sequential order.
Cool! Make sure to post impressions

Woot Ms. Marvel arrived today. IST used packing peanuts though which was a first for me from them.

Turn around order of Scalped HC 2, Ocean/Orbiter, and East of West HC 1 >_>: the 2% was too strong.

Top Bottom