• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

tim1138

Martian Manhunter #3: Wat.

No but seriously
GOPnvI3.png

Actually seriously: this is a great book. Very fun twist on the usual "white Martian invasion" plotline Manhunter typically gets saddled with. I'm not terribly familiar with the character's history, but this is a new origin for him, yeah? Also, the
Red Martian
: new or what? It's very cool stuff, to be sure. I love how the artist does the shapeshifting and transformation panels.

This book is such a delight. It's a great deconstruction of J'onn and the White/Green Martian dynamic and mythology
note that when J'onn disintegrates himself part of him has white skin
. And then there's Mr Biscuits, what a bizarrely wonderful character. Equal parts imaginary friend and the portion of J'onn's personality that is obsessed with cookies, he might be my favorite new character.

Cyborg #2 was p good. Art is on point. Super high detail style works well with Cyborg's new tricks. The bit with him expositing to his cat was a little bit tired, tho. Writer isn't particularly good at technobabble either, and there's a ton of it. New baddies are suitably spooky, especially because of the art.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Also I love Grayson but I feel like its a book better read in collections. I'm always forgetting WTF is going on and who is who from month to month.

Grayson #11. Love, love LOVE the art, panel design especially, but the whole fight scene was great. Dialogue is good too. Still not sure how I feel about the plot, always been the book's weak point (other than the faces sometimes). The mystery just isn't terribly compelling. Still, very excited for the next issue.

You don't need to have read New 52 Nightwing to read Grayson do you? Flicked through the hardcover yesterday and it looks funky.
No it's stand alone but forever evil is needed to make sense why he's considered dead. I haven't been reading any marvel books since secret wars started there any secret wars books worth looking into?

It's been known since it was first announced m8. And you're essentially dropping it when Godzilla's version of Michelangelo hops on for his issue.

Your loss I guess :/

Michelangelo the painter or Michelangelo the ninja turtle?

Stokoe was the only reason I bought #1, tho. Can't be wasting money when comics I care about are coming out. Got dat new issue of Low.

Squire

Banned
No it's stand alone but forever evil is needed to make sense why he's considered dead. I haven't been reading any marvel books since secret wars started there any secret wars books worth looking into?

There's a ton. A lot of them are rifts on old Marvel events/crossovers. If you're not reading Secret Wars, I think you might be able to read Secret Wars #2 for the explanation of the world and then still enjoy these miniseries.

It's a bunch of stuff though. Depends on what you like, really.

I'm starting to re-think ANAD Marvel. Maybe get Ultimates, Extraordinary X-Men and Blade, and fuck everything else. I ain't got time for dat $3.99.

Rich is doubling down on his "stop Batgirling" story with another, more detailed article...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08...cancelled-titles-reduced-page-rates-more-ads/

For those that don't want to give Rich the clicks:

-cites an article by ex-DC editor Heidi MacDonald (link here)
-Didio was not a fan of "DC You," expect a return to his way of doing things
-the 12-issue guarantee for new titles is definitely a goner, some cancellations may be announced soon
-heavy push for DK3, more ads, special projects among ideas being floated to recoup 2015 losses
-page rates for artists may be getting negotiated down
-prices may be going... up

nwTfnQU.jpg

Sadist

Wait, Arcangel will be back? Oh boy. He was awesome in Remender's run.

Good thing too, because Nu Angel made no sense. They never explained his new powers or the fact that he was apparently dying. Also, Aaron neglected (or any other writer) that part from Wolverine & the X-Men where he ressurected that puppy.

Messi

Rich is doubling down on his "stop Batgirling" story with another, more detailed article...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08...cancelled-titles-reduced-page-rates-more-ads/

-the 12-issue guarantee for new titles is definitely a goner, some cancellations may be announced soon
-heavy push for DK3, more ads, special projects among ideas being floated to recoup 2015 losses

nwTfnQU.jpg

Oh this is fantastic. Can't wait to see how that works out if it is true.

Image should keep the doors open for them.

Meh.

I got dat shit in hardcopy.

Was it good? Would HIJINKS leader approve? How many sparkles out of ten?

Zombine

Banned
Negotiating page rates down lol

If this is true I would just leave.

Eventually they'll consider working at DC a privilege and make creative pay to write books.

nwTfnQU.jpg

I just refuse to believe that this could be true. These kinds of actions would basically kill DC as any sort of major player (and maybe player at all) in the comic world. And doing them in response to of financial issues not even caused by DC You? When DC You isn't even 3 months old? It just makes zero sense.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What's this DC You I keep hearing about? I hadn't even heard that term until today.

I just refuse to believe that this could be true. These kinds of actions would basically kill DC as any sort of major player (and maybe player at all) in the comic world. And doing them in response to of financial issues not even caused by DC You? When DC You isn't even 3 months old? It just makes zero sense.

I'm loathe to >shudder< agree with BC ever, but it's a possible reaction to actual circumstance, just like terrigen mist destroying mutants because Fox.

Both of these events would be terrible for the medium, but also make sense as potential reactions to current events.

That's how Rich's demented and fevered mind works. There's truth to every lie.

ElNarez

Banned
Man, I wish I could not believe that Didio would cut up his nose to spite his face because Convergence was a shitty event with little to no buildup, featuring unproven talent, and established from the very start as "not mattering in the slightest" to any future story, which for some reason did not do as well as Secret Wars, but why, hmm, that's a mystery.

Messi

What's this DC You I keep hearing about? I hadn't even heard that term until today.

The recent branding being used for the new books like black canary. I don't believe this story is true.

You wouldn't have seen it as a trade reader. You still have about 10 months to wait before you see a trade with it on it.

Top Bottom