• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

I'm loathe to >shudder< agree with BC ever, but it's a possible reaction to actual circumstance, just like terrigen mist destroying mutants because Fox.

Both of these events would be terrible for the medium, but also make sense as potential reactions to current events.

That's how Rich's demented and fevered mind works. There's truth to every lie.

It would make sense in that some of the people running DC (not sure how much independence they have from the parent) really could be that foolish, I suppose. I mean, DiDio especially has been shown to have, uh, questionable ideas that he will push and push hard against all logic.

NexusCell

Rich is doubling down on his "stop Batgirling" story with another, more detailed article...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08...cancelled-titles-reduced-page-rates-more-ads/

For those that don't want to give Rich the clicks:

-cites an article by ex-DC editor Heidi MacDonald (link here)
-Didio was not a fan of "DC You," expect a return to his way of doing things
-the 12-issue guarantee for new titles is definitely a goner, some cancellations may be announced soon
-heavy push for DK3, more ads, special projects among ideas being floated to recoup 2015 losses
-page rates for artists may be getting negotiated down
-prices may be going... up

Fuck this. I refuse to believe this. I was promised my 12 issues of Prez, and I want my 12 issues of Prez.

I don't really think its true, but if the decreased page rates are true, I'd probably see a lot of artists leaving DC for either Image or Marvel.

I was more talking about the creatives behind the book. Nobody big wants to work with them anymore.
That too. I don't keep up with comic news as much as I maybe should, but I remember hearing about the train wreck that was DC editorial around the new 52, and if that's coming back ugh

-the 12-issue guarantee for new titles is definitely a goner, some cancellations may be announced soon
-heavy push for DK3, more ads, special projects among ideas being floated to recoup 2015 losses

Okay, I never quite understood exactly what "DC You" was.

I also have very little interest in DK3. Certainly not going to pay $5.99 an issue ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Was it good? Would HIJINKS leader approve? How many sparkles out of ten?

Didn't read it yet. But I will let you know.

Okay, I never quite understood exactly what "DC You" was.
Did you not see the ads?

xksRS15.jpg

Rich is doubling down on his "stop Batgirling" story with another, more detailed article...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08...cancelled-titles-reduced-page-rates-more-ads/

For those that don't want to give Rich the clicks:

-cites an article by ex-DC editor Heidi MacDonald (link here)
-page rates for artists may be getting negotiated down
-prices may be going... up

nwTfnQU.jpg
Still w/ a grain of salt but if true

What a ridiculous shortsighted decision. If you are beginning to try and woo audiences you basically chased away for a long time, you should probably give it more time for that audience to either come back or for the new waves of younger readers to buy in.

I mean, if you look at some articles, quite of them say women account for most of new readers. It's a dumb idea to stop trying to appeal to that crowd.

But, if this is true, why is DC You being targeted? Apparently, it was a number of things that led to DC's troubles - not really this new initiative.
The new initiative was supposed to give DC a push, it hasn't, and 2015 was already off to a slow start for them.

Please don't take Kori from me
It's probably safe for now; print sales declined 17% from issue #1 to #2.

Probably.

HOLY SHIT
LOW
YEAH!

When that happened I was still kind of holding my breath waiting for something bad to happen anyway, but still managed a little fist-pump as that turn of events played out.

Owzers

As much as it needed Before Watchmen.

I think Before Watchmen was trying to cash in without giving fans what they wanted, a story set 30 years into the future where the world is starting to crumble again and only Rorschach's long lost son can figure out who's manipulating the world.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Klaus in November from Morrison sounds decent. Definitely going to give that a read.

Also, more Secret Wars is always good.

Kurtofan

my 2 cents as a new reader of dc comics is that I prefer to buy trades rather than single issues, feels like I get more bang for my buck. by the time I catch up I'm sure they'll have worked something out

my 2 cents as a new reader of dc comics is that I prefer to buy trades rather than single issues, feels like I get more bang for my buck. by the time I catch up I'm sure they'll have worked something out

I think I'll be getting to that point soon. At least where Marvel and DC are concerned. Image is still putting out great stuff that I look forward to reading.

Sandfox

I really don't see how you can stand to trade wait lol.

mreddie

So Last Days of Antman set up things for Astonishing and Spider Woman kinda rushed to the end and oddly, revealed how she got the old suit back.

Busaiku

I'm actually the opposite of many here.
When I got back into US comics last year, I got mostly Image and other indie stuff.
Nowadays I'm dropping more of those titles cause Marvel and DC are bringing out lots of fun books like Gotham Academy and Silk.
Most of those indie titles were more serious too, I like fun books more.

Top Bottom