• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Owzers

I tried going back to Arrow but it's just so bad, i'm on episode 13 of season 1. I think Mr. Robot is taking the episode watching spot tonight.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness, guys.
DC Nation - DC's World's Funnest is one of my new all-time favorite things ever. You guys need to watch all 10 1-minute shorts right now if you haven't seen them yet.

Just ordered these for $35 shipped :D

61xBmf1k0bL._SL1500_.jpg

But completely canning it after a few months? And going back to the old shit?
The MacDonald article says this is all very early talk. An immediate, full-blown retreat back to "house style" storytelling is probably not in the cards, but a culling of DC You's weakest performers followed with a spate of "sure-thing" book concepts to shore up those losses, then a more natural end to the surviving DC You series as the focus shifts to the next new thing? That I could definitely see happening.

Kipp

This new Kipp is interesting. A part of me thinks it might not even be you.

Well, I was going to stop spending for a while since I had to buy my laptop, but then I asked my boss about a one-time allowance for a laptop since I needed to buy a new one and I use it for work, and they're giving me $400. Whiiich is pretty awesome, since I was going to buy a new laptop regardless. So effectively it's a $400 bonus.
Plus I just really wanted those figures. I'm really into unique (AKA really stylized) figures now. Hopefully this will not become a very expensive thing...

And also, another thing that partly plays into my slightly increased spending is the fact that I won't be moving out of state for at least another year now since I just started this new job, so I've got more time to save, so I don't need to save as hardcore now. I still will, just slightly less so.

Either that or my account got hacked by Freeza or something.

Hagi

God I love Laurel so much.

More than Sara? I haven't watched season 3 yet but there seems to be a marked improvement in her character if the flash episode she and captain chesthair are in is anything to go by. I did not care for her at all during season 2.

Saw that 2000ad had completed a five ish Aquila mini. Having a go at it.

Pretty much Adventures of Not-Kratos. With Romans.

also saw an ad for something called "The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (and the DEAD LEFT in His WAKE)"

2000ad truly has the best names.

can't quite deny that it looks tempting. Might have to track it down.

Squire

Banned
The MacDonald article says this is all very early talk. An immediate, full-blown retreat back to "house style" storytelling is probably not in the cards, but a culling of DC You's weakest performers followed with a spate of "sure-thing" book concepts to shore up those losses, then a more natural end to the surviving DC You series as the focus shifts back to the same old thing? That I could definitely see happening.

FTFY

Messi

More than Sara? I haven't watched season 3 yet but there seems to be a marked improvement in her character if the flash episode she and captain chesthair are in is anything to go by. I did not care for her at all during season 2.

Absolutely

We Are Robin #3: Jesus CHRIST I love this book. Fantastic stuff, all around; wonderful art, surprisingly hard-hitting story, rock-solid dialogue. And those last few pages, DAMN!

I swear, if this ends up being one of Bleeding Cool's canceled series 'cause y'all sleeping on it, I'm gonna be PISSED

Zombine

Banned
Well, I was going to stop spending for a while since I had to buy my laptop, but then I asked my boss about a one-time allowance for a laptop since I needed to buy a new one and I use it for work, and they're giving me $400. Whiiich is pretty awesome, since I was going to buy a new laptop regardless. So effectively it's a $400 bonus.
Plus I just really wanted those figures. I'm really into unique (AKA really stylized) figures now. Hopefully this will not become a very expensive thing...

And also, another thing that partly plays into my slightly increased spending is the fact that I won't be moving out of state for at least another year now since I just started this new job, so I've got more time to save, so I don't need to save as hardcore now. I still will, just slightly less so.

Either that or my account got hacked by Freeza or something.

Absolute mad man.

I'm glad you're indulging a bit more though.

Kipp

Absolute mad man.

I'm glad you're indulging a bit more though.

Lol

Yeah, I am too. I like saving money, but I also wish I didn't feel so guilty about spending it every once in a while. I'm still not really where I'd like to be with that, but I suppose I'm getting closer. There's a happy medium somewhere.

Messi

Wow I love Sara, so glad she is back for Legends of Tomorrow. Need to watch season 3 at some point, heard it was kind of iffy.

It's a CW show through and through so ymmv

Laurel is the only reason I am still watching. Other than maybe Slade
if he ever comes back

Hagi

Laurel is the only reason I am still watching. Other than maybe Slade
if he ever comes back

Flash turned out so good I never really wanted to go back to the dreary world of Starling City but I read that they are changing things up with season 4 so I'll give it a look. Got to support black driver now that he's getting a official code name.

Flash turned out so good I never really wanted to go back to the dreary world of Starling City but I read that they are changing things up with season 4 so I'll give it a look. Got to support black driver now that he's getting a official code name.

I think Arrow just needs more metahumans

tim1138

Imma pour one out for JL3K1, I'm thrilled Porter is getting a shot on Superman, but I really can't imagine anyone else drawing that book.

Zombine

Banned
Lol

Yeah, I am too. I like saving money, but I also wish I didn't feel so guilty about spending it every once in a while. I'm still not really where I'd like to be with that, but I suppose I'm getting closer. There's a happy medium somewhere.

Setting a budget and factoring in Hobby/entertainment money will make you not feel bad about spending because you'll have factored it into your monthly income.

Imma pour one out for JL3K1, I'm thrilled Porter is getting a shot on Superman, but I really can't imagine anyone else drawing that book.

I think he's gonna do a bangup job. Damn shame about JL3K1, but what can you do?

Other than find somebody who can write dialogue to fill a third writer slot, I guess.

Setting a budget and factoring in Hobby/entertainment money will make you not feel bad about spending because you'll have factored it into your monthly income.

Is what i do. Set entertainment budget to "zero" and try to get as close to it as possible every month.

Kipp

I tried that when I got my first full-time job. I was like "I am going to set aside $250 that I can spend absolutely guilt-free because I planned out how much I want to have saved in a year's time and I can have that much saved even with spending $250."
And then I still felt guilty spending money.
For me, it's not so much about the practicalities, it's more about my absurd anxiety regarding money (and just absurd anxiety about everything, really). Hopefully that main cause will get all fixed eventually and the problem will solve itself.
I've got a doctor's appointment in two days to get myself on some anxiety meds, so fingers crossed that that does the trick.

Apologies for TooMuchInformationGAF

Superman #42, 43: I'm enjoying this storyline a lot, which I expected considering that the end status quo is the extraordinarily excellent Action Comics. I thought that the
Lois announces Superman's identity to the whole world to save him
moment could've been a bit better handled, but my ideas would've required changing the context of the scene a lot, so maybe there's other stuff at play. Hordr is a stupid name. The whole premise of the organization feels a little bit off really, especially the line from blue hair girl in 42 about how "Luthor's still trying to make money from atoms," like it's written by somebody with an overinflated sense of the digital age's importance and impact. Still, who better to go after Superman than an information broker?

Bii

Well regardless of what the investments were, just know they dropped in value significantly on Monday. :D
Investments are all about the long game though, so they'll be back to where they were soon enough and you'll be just fine.

And it's very likely that the deferred comp plan puts your money in pretty safe index funds, so it shouldn't be anything you need to worry about at all.

Hey, can I PM you with some questions? You sound like you know what you're doing. lol

On the comics side, I picked up my weekly stuff and forgot to get bags/boards. *sigh*

Zodiac Starforce was... colorful. I like the art, but I'm wondering if this isn't a new volume of an older series. It spends a lot of time referencing things that happened before this issue (this #1 issue), and the story feels a bit rushed. Like they were trying to get to a certain point in a limited number of pages in addition to the big info dump via dialogue. They're explaining past events to other characters who should remember all this stuff. Though I went in somewhat predisposed toward disliking it, and I came out the other side not actually disliking it.

I'm really excited about the introduction of magic for this season. Well I guess, expanding on it because of S3
lazurus pit.

I was disappointed to hear CW doesn't plan on any more super hero shows because I think Zatanna would have been a cool show that fits a spot that doesn't exist in the Arrowverse. I'm sure they have her reserved for the movies though.

Zombine

Banned
Rumble #6

Rumble_06-1.png

So Rumble is finally back, and I thought it was one of the most expertly crafted IMAGE issue I have ever read. When these titles go on hiatus, they tend to come back and dive head first into brand new territory and operate under the assumption that you remember every single detail of what came before it, but Rumble took a few pages to get you up to speed with the story, and they did it in such a way that was refreshing and didn't rely on recycled art. I wish more books would use this as an example, because after Rumble got over the formalities, we got to dive a little deeper into this world with another issue was chock full of vibrant art and organic conversations.

10/10

+Harren art
+Standalone issue
+Backstory on Scarecrow
+Complex relationships
+Awesome dialogue
+Fight sequences
+Timah

Catching up on a few SW titles

Old Man Logan ending was very well done, once again confirming that Bendis fares FAR better when given a somewhat constrained setting.

Modok Assassin is joy. Modok Assassin is love.

Marvel Zombies 3 made me realize that Si Spurrier is possibly the best deadpool dialogue writer ever.

Squire

Banned
Hawkguy is known to be the SHIELD spy and there's another traitor? It's Doreen is it?

It can be literally anyone not named "Songbird" and I'm good.

The thing with Clint sounds like a running gag, haha. I guess Dum Dum is his handler. I wonder if Maria Hill is still around.

Top Bottom