• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Yess. Arcudi and Mignola make even characters like Abe and Roger feel completely human. Especially Roger with how naive he is.

And totally agree on Davis. The amount of detail he puts in is just insane. Like those messages the frogs are all carving on the walls and stuff or all of the mushrooms in that one issue. Dude's great.

edit: Just finished Plague of Frogs volume 2! I'll do volume 3 then start Hellboy LE 4 since it comes next I think.

Yeah, I'm going by the multiversity timeline too.

Also, don't get me started on Dave Stewart's color work. Hoo boy.

Cool. No idea why he posted it then. Was news to me.
I'm just waiting for the CMX sale that's bound to happen once we get to the show release. Which will be interesting since I don't recal marvel ever doing a sale for a max series. They always seem ashamed of that line of comics

Messi

I'm just waiting for the CMX sale that's bound to happen once we get to the show release. Which will be interesting since I don't recal marvel ever doing a sale for a max series. They always seem ashamed of that line of comics

It's probably because of the anal.

I love this moment at the beginning of The Dead when Abe is learning about Caul with Kate and for a page or two you're like this is boring come on but then Davis and Stewart just draw you in with this detail and the reality and weirdness of this frog dude sitting in a damn small town library and you see the connections from even Hellboy vol 1 and the librarian is slowly realizing this frog dude is somehow this dude from 200 years ago too and they leave and you see the librarian watch them from the doorway.

It starts to rain and Abe walks away alone.

I really want to read a good Superman story. Like, where Clark is just a goddamned superhero doing superhero shit, y'know? Are there any besides the usual recommendations (Red Son, All-Star, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, etc.) that I can read? Unchained seems like a good action book at the very least.

I need that Superman hype in my life.

You know:
This
Or this

Calcium

Banned
Unchained seems like a good action book at the very least.

I don't really care for Superman much, but I enjoyed Unchained. I bought the book purely for the creative team behind it, so it had to be good to win me over. I don't remember Supes doing anything overly heroic in the book, though. It was an entertaining read and I certainly don't regret picking it up.

The Captain Marvel movie isn't going to be as good as the first arc of Captain Marvel (2012). I must accept that. :| Not that I think it is an amazing arc, but the film is going to get dragged down in MCU conventions when it could expand (and improve on it) and make something special.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Captain Marvel (2012) #5 has some nice art. :O

Emma Rios? Yeah she is awesome

I always preferred Filipe Andrade's work on the book. Despite the weird way he draws faces, the incredible posing and rough simplicity to his work... it's just fascinating to look at once you get used to the style. Really beautiful flow to it.

The Captain Marvel movie isn't going to be as good as the first arc of Captain Marvel (2012). I must accept that. :| Not that I think it is an amazing arc, but the film is going to get dragged down in MCU conventions when it could expand (and improve on it) and make something special.

As a 'refresh' button for that character, finally giving her some agency in her own superhero identity, it's a pretty fascinating first arc. I think Down and Avengers: Enemy Within make a really fucking great arc for her too though.
I got legitimately choked up at the end of Enemy Within

I really want to read a good Superman story. Like, where Clark is just a goddamned superhero doing superhero shit, y'know? Are there any besides the usual recommendations (Red Son, All-Star, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, etc.) that I can read? Unchained seems like a good action book at the very least.

I need that Superman hype in my life.

Get the Superman and the Legion of Superheroes trade by Geoff Johns (Action Comics #858-863). It's an excellent showpiece of why Superman is awesome and why his legacy will last for a thousand plus years.

61DJpTYXltL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Almost done with Doctor Strange: The Oath and have liked it a good deal. Strange is a cool character. The whole Wong thing seems sort of antiquated but they seem to pull it off respectfully. The whole concept is neat. I like his back story as a douche bag.

YUP.

I love how among the giant monster craziness, it's rooted in such human frailty and character in every issue. Best book ever.

And god damn, can Guy Davis draw EVERYTHING. I look at how he draws every book and every mug on every desk, and then think about other artists just not even drawing backgrounds it's like, shit. The dude can draw so much STUFF. And it works so well on this book, with so many libraries and storage facilities and just so so so much detail.

I want Guy Davis pages.

I've only read one of his major works (Sandman Mystery Theatre) and he is brilliant in it.

Just look at these.

http://i.imgur.com/EM1e7tc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z29ZKTN.png

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Way to go Kipp!
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png
Zuiaiwr.png

Glad it's going well. My new job is better than I was hoping it would be, too. I was unemployed for a while there, and it just feels great to have a place to go during the day again.

Hahaha. I can't believe you saved those emojis. Awesome.
Thanks though! Along with the job and people at the job just being great in general, it feels so good to just go in to work just because there's something I'd like to get done. Like this morning, I'm not scheduled for a shift or anything, I just want to get some stuff done so I'm heading in to get some stuff done. It feels good.

And that's great to hear! I hope your job just keeps getting better and better as you get more used to it!

Re: Guy Davis
I was at a local comic con pre party where he was the guest of honor. I hadn't seen his work before so I had looked him up and I was really impressed. I didn't know what he looked like tho so at the pre party I ended accidentally gushing about Guy Davis's work to Guy Davis before he introduced himself as Guy Davis to me haha

But that book is godlike, though.
He he god like. Puns ahoy

I know Messi likes it. I've really enjoyed the new Thor. Dautermans artwork certainly doesn't hurt. Aarons entire Thor run has been amazing except for that Malekith arc
Captain Marvel (2012) #5 has some nice art. :O
If it's Rios you should check out Pretty Deadly or Dr Strange Season One

What the fuck, why would you basically despoiler my post by just saying what I spoilered jesus wtfffff

Basically what Coriolanus said. Also, that's one of those things where I would think random people would be interested to know exists. Like "oh hey, a Turok reference? Who's this Bloodshot guy?" and go down that rabbithole.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
OMGOMGOMG

7PM EST. REPUBLICAN DEBATE. C-SPAN.

I am so watching this.

Today is going to be an amazing day. Going into work to get some stuff done, getting home at 11am, reading a ton of comics, watching a Republican debate, then going bouldering. Pure bliss.

Boogiepop

Yup. Just bought a PS4 to play a Yugioh game. This is a thing that I have done.
There are other games coming out for the console that I want, but the Yugioh game was legitimately the thing that made me need it now.

Oh, and I finished Alias outside of the "What If". Really enjoyed it. Like, it's definitely kind of ugly/lazy with the art a good bit of the time, and it does occasionally go too far with the Bendis speak, and it may not come together amazingly... But it's fun. Just an enjoyable read. Also,
I'm sure it's partially because they just didn't have time to give it more development, but man did Scott Lang look bad when he was just like "yup, we're done here" and walked off after learning she had a baby that wasn't his.

Any of the other stuff with her particularly good/worthwhile, btw?

OMGOMGOMG

I am so watching this.

Today is going to be an amazing day. Going into work to get some stuff done, getting home at 11am, reading a ton of comics, watching a Republican debate, then going bouldering. Pure bliss.

Just so you know, the thing tonight is just a practice run and Trump won't be there.

Oh, and I finished Alias outside of the "What If". Really enjoyed it. Like, it's definitely kind of ugly/lazy with the art a good bit of the time, and it does occasionally go too far with the Bendis speak, and it may not come together amazingly... But it's fun. Just an enjoyable read. Also,
I'm sure it's partially because they just didn't have time to give it more development, but man did Scott Lang look bad when he was just like "yup, we're done here" and walked off after learning she had a baby that wasn't his.

IIRC she made it pretty clear to him that she was gonna try to get things together with Luke.

Plus Scott had no reason whatsoever to stick around. She was a mild flirt, and they were apparently in a quasi-open relationship. I'd bail even if she didn't say that she was gonna go for the other guy.

Yup. Just bought a PS4 to play a Yugioh game. This is a thing that I have done.
There are other games coming out for the console that I want, but the Yugioh game was legitimately the thing that made me need it now.

Any of the other stuff with her particularly good/worthwhile, btw?

I got you beat. I'm buying a PS4 to play a game I've already owned since launch on another platform with other people while still playing the version on the first platform.

Sou Da

It won't be anything like that simply because Mar Vell has to be a character in the film.

I think nothing of that series to begin with anyways.

Boogiepop

IIRC she made it pretty clear to him that she was gonna try to get things together with Luke.

Plus Scott had no reason whatsoever to stick around. She was a mild flirt, and they were apparently in a quasi-open relationship. I'd bail even if she didn't say that she was gonna go for the other guy.
I mean, it's not unreasonable, but unless I blurred some stuff out in reading this while sleepy, the conversation literally went that he totally wanted to be with her, and then she told him about the baby and that it wasn't his, and he literally just walked away then with like a single line. Which worked enough I guess, but it just felt abrupt and awkward. I don't know, felt like something that warranted a little more dialogue, especially in a book that loves to spam dialogue like crazy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So Quietly doesnt do the art for the other two Batman & Robin Volumes? I was ao excited to see some more Potato faces :((((

Probably my favorite Image ongoing, it's great stuff. Remender's great at angst and it's got some incredibly stylish art to back it up.

Thanks guys. I'm really excited to check out Deadly Class. I've mostly been into superhero comics, so I'm starting to venture out and mix some non-superhero comics into my library. I picked up the first Walking Dead compendium years ago and enjoyed it, I may pick up the second and third (once it's released).

Owzers

OMGOMGOMG

I am so watching this.

Yar the real one is Thursday, and tomorrow is mocrosofts gamescom conferennce and also Thursday my other ottoman comes and it better not have the side crushed.

Top Bottom