• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

I-is there a difference?

Yes. One is a meme.

Since I've got first post, I'll throw some Raul Allen art I wanted to share. He's so good.

cPjqppj.jpg

g18KiRV.jpg

Y7QvZSo.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Boom. Just ordered Hellblazer Vol 4 off Amazon for $0.00. Thank you, Credit Card rewards and $5 courtesy credit from slightly messed up Harley figure!

Is Ninjak worth reading? that art looks pretty cool and ninjas.

Some people dig it a lot, but I'll be straight. It's a good book. It's not crazy good, but it's really good and worth reading if you enjoy the character from other appearances. The best bits are how Kindt writes Ninjak (which you can also read in Unity and The Valiant) and how he explores the character. It's an espionage book more than a cape book, and the story is just good enough for you to care. Art has been good, as well, but Raul Allen guested for the latest issue and just obliterated everything else that came before. The back-up story is actually better than the main story, imo; it explores Ninjak's past when he was just an MI6 spy.

If you're interested in the character at all, I'd say go with Unity before recommending this one. Even though it's a team book, you get the great characterization plus actually legit amazing arcs.

My intention with posting the above was less about plugging Ninjak than Allen. Allen's just incredible, and he'll be doing the first arc of the new Eternal Warrior ongoing, which combined with the writing Venditti has done for that character so far, has me beyond hyped.

Kipp

Man, I've got so many awesome things coming in the mail. And I've already gotten my IST order and Lil' Gotham Harley figure this week.
Got my laptop coming, Hellblazer, DC Nation World's Funnest figures, and I feel like there's one other thing that I forgot about.

Mostly super excited about the World's Funnest figures. Those things just make me happy.

Probably my favorite part of World's Funnest is Batman's "I'm going to get you with my superhero powers!" in this video.
Or maybe Batman in this video. Equally hilarious/cute.

Basically these shorts are like my favorite thing ever.

Edit: Debating a new avatar...

kk4NlAF.png

or maybe

oyDvDAM.png

I'll probably not change it though.

Boogiepop

So, random thought, but what are some examples of series that have, say, at least 50 issues that are consistently good, preferably with a single writer, though in its own way having 2+ good writers back to back can be pretty cool too (IE Bendis Daredevil leading right into Brubaker).

Some off the top of my head: Hellboy (universe), Invincible, guessing Usagi Yojimbo more than qualifies from the first "Saga" book, Hellblazer gets it probably through various writers (even if I didn't like Fear Machine), Ian Flynn has done a solid job with Sonic, IDW TMNT definitely qualifies if you add in the "side" books (which you should as they're important to the plot), Johns GL has been at least solid up through what I've read of the second Omni. And I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty that I'm either not realizing are that long. (How many issues was Sandman?)

But yeah, something I've been thinking of, as I definitely feel like I like runs to have a decent bit of length to them. Maybe because I've read more manga?

So, random thought, but what are some examples of series that have, say, at least 50 issues that are consistently good, preferably with a single writer, though in its own way having 2+ good writers back to back can be pretty cool too (IE Bendis Daredevil leading right into Brubaker).

Some off the top of my head: Hellboy (universe), Invincible, guessing Usagi Yojimbo more than qualifies from the first "Saga" book, Hellblazer gets it probably through various writers (even if I didn't like Fear Machine), Ian Flynn has done a solid job with Sonic, IDW TMNT definitely qualifies if you add in the "side" books (which you should as they're important to the plot), Johns GL has been at least solid up through what I've read of the second Omni. And I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty that I'm either not realizing are that long. (How many issues was Sandman?)

But yeah, something I've been thinking of, as I definitely feel like I like runs to have a decent bit of length to them. Maybe because I've read more manga?
Doom Patrol by Morrison comes kinda close at 45 issues or so.

Don't know the exact total amount of issues but Avengers by Busiek is close and I think Starman and Hitman are around 50 issues each as well.

Weiss

Banned

Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men was consistently great for over a decade. It started to falter a bit in the late 80s and early 90s, but still good.

Garth Ennis' Hitman ran for over five years and never had a bad issue.

Chew's been running for a few years now and it's gotten a little too wacky for my tastes, but the last trade was way better.

Also from Archie, the Mega Man comic by Ian Flynn was fantastic.

Mindwipe

I love love love Giant Days

Boom! should totally collect all the Scary Go Round stuff into some big trades. I'd buy the shit out of that, I'm well past the point where clicking through webcomic archives on a desktop is okay.

Learn to Fly is on CMX though, and is great.

What the heck is up with the quality of these Mad Max comix? It's through the freaking roof.

Thought it was just a cash-in, but that's evidently not the case. Lotsa love went into this.

Kipp

Oh my goodness. Lil Gotham might just be the best thing DC has ever published.
Everyone needs to pick up the Lil Gotham TPB. I think it's only $7 or something on IST.
It is the greatest thing ever. Just brilliant through and through. I honestly can't see how anyone would dislike it.

Off the top of my head:
Morrison's Batman. Ennis' Punisher and Ennis' Preacher. Moore's Strangers in Paradise.

Garth Ennis' Hitman ran for over five years and never had a bad issue.

I really really need to read my TPBs of this soon... I feel horrible having had them sitting on my shelf for almost a year now.

Kipp

Li'l Gotham is both funnier than any comic I've read in ages and more emotion-inducing than any comic I've read in ages.
The Christmas issue hit me so hard. Poor Mr. Freeze... :'(

Seriously everyone. Read Li'l Gotham.

Edit: Oh what! Li'l Gotham Vol 2 came out earlier this month! It hadn't showed up in the IST search when I was placing my order last week. Noooooo
That is 100% going in my next order though.

Weiss

Banned
Everyone needs to pick up the Lil Gotham TPB. I think it's only $7 or something on IST.
It is the greatest thing ever. Just brilliant through and through. I honestly can't see how anyone would dislike it.

Off the top of my head:
Morrison's Batman. Ennis' Punisher and Ennis' Preacher. Moore's Strangers in Paradise.

I really really need to read my TPBs of this soon... I feel horrible having had them sitting on my shelf for almost a year now.

I'm not exaggerating when I say Hitman has one of the best endings in all of comics.

Kipp

If Li'l Gotham ever got an OHC or omnibus, I'd be the happiest person alive. I'm still going to buy all the trades as they come out though, obviously. This is my new favorite series from the Big Two by a mile.

Edit: Has anyone read Justice League Beyond? It's by the same creative team as Li'l Gotham, so I'm incredibly interested.

I'm not exaggerating when I say Hitman has one of the best endings in all of comics.

I gotta make time for it soon... It keeps being the book that I'll read after the book I'm currently reading, then something else pops up that I read instead. Ennis is one of my top 3 favorite writers and I especially love his more ridiculous/humorous stuff like Preacher and Marvel Knights Punisher, so Hitman is pretty much as "right up my alley" as it gets.

I gotta make time for it soon... It keeps being the book that I'll read after the book I'm currently reading, then something else pops up that I read instead. Ennis is one of my top 3 favorite writers and I especially love his more ridiculous/humorous stuff like Preacher and Marvel Knights Punisher, so Hitman is pretty much as "right up my alley" as it gets.

Are you reading Where Monsters Dwell? Definitely falls in the ridiculous/humorous category, and has virtually nothing to do with Secret Wars.

Mudcrab

Where Monsters Dwell is that good Ennis. All of the humor we love him for and none of the boring kind of over the top gore we sometimes get.

Boogiepop

Edit: Has anyone read Justice League Beyond? It's by the same creative team as Li'l Gotham, so I'm incredibly interested.

Which Justice League Beyond? If there's not a new one, then my thoughts were that the run before the 2.0 stuff was pretty meh and easily skipable. But the 2.0 stuff tied into the whole ongoing Batman Beyond stuff (and as such probably wouldn't read as well separately) and was really good.

Kipp

Today is an excellent day for comics. Switched from Li'l Gotham to The Invisibles and I'm totally digging that too.

Are you reading Where Monsters Dwell? Definitely falls in the ridiculous/humorous category, and has virtually nothing to do with Secret Wars.

I don't do singles, but I'm definitely planning to pick it up when it gets a TPB! Thanks for the recommendation!

Which Justice League Beyond? If there's not a new one, then my thoughts were that the run before the 2.0 stuff was pretty meh and easily skipable. But the 2.0 stuff tied into the whole ongoing Batman Beyond stuff (and as such probably wouldn't read as well separately) and was really good.

The one by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs. I don't think it's that new.

Tizoc

Off the top of my head:

Clearly you never read Tiny Titans :/

Most of my favourite comics have always been such runs. Single creative mind/group, not too much interference from editorial decisions and enough time to build something great.

Sandman - 75 issues
Transmetropolitan - 60 issues
Sandman Mystery Theatre - 70 issues (I'm only halfway through this but I would definitely include it on the list).
Lucifer - 75 issues
Starman - 80 issues
Astro City - 50+ issues. Even its weaker arcs are much better than a lot of comics

Another well regarded run is Miligan's Shade the Changing Man. 70 issues. I have yet to read it though.

Kipp

Clearly you never read Tiny Titans :/

I remember checking it out a while back. It doesn't have the same appeal to me as Lil Gotham. The great thing about Lil Gotham is that it's an all ages book but still has just as much (or, more, actually) appeal to older readers. Tiny Titans is pretty much a straight-up kids comic. There's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't really as enjoyable for me.

If I hear Kipp say L'il Gotham one more goddamn time...

I just bought the 2 trades on CMX

YESSSSSS. Read it ASAP. I need another person to join in with me in my absolute adoration of this book.

Vyer

Robinson's Starman
Roberts' More Than Meets The Eye
Layman's Chew
How many issues does Hickman's Fantastic 4 cover?

The Walking Dead
Maybe F4/FF, don't know the count

I don't do singles, but I'm definitely planning to pick it up when it gets a TPB! Thanks for the recommendation!

Silly me, I forgot!

Ultimate Spider-Man

Sandman
Strangers in Paradise
Peter David Supergirl
Xfactor
Young Justice
Transmetropilitan
Waid Flash Johns Flash with some Morrison/Millar Flash in between
Hickman FF is close enough

Maybe Priest Black Panther but I haven't read it in a long time.

Not sure if Xstatix got 50 issues but i think it was close.

Kipp

I considered X-Statix, but I'm not sure if it was consistently great. It only ever dropped in quality to "good," and was never bad by any means, but there was a noticeable drop in quality after the title switched from X-Force to X-Statix.
With that said, it's still one of my all-time favorite runs. So maybe I would add that to the list after all.

Tizoc

Sandman
Strangers in Paradise
Peter David Supergirl
Xfactor
Young Justice
Transmetropilitan
Waid Flash Johns Flash with some Morrison/Millar Flash in between
Hickman FF is close enough

Maybe Priest Black Panther but I haven't read it in a long time.

Yo SJ did you order Vol. of Priest's BP run? I did last week and am waiting for it to be shipped @o@

lol Armstrong is one of the best game antagonists of recent memory. That whole game is just amazing I'd love a sequel.

You know, it's kinda funny. I don't consider myself an MGS fan, but I've at least played every game in the series and beaten several.

Revengeance is definitely my favorite.

Revengeance is one of the best character action games I've ever played, probably the best. I'm glad we could get a game like that in the franchise.

Sons of Liberty is probably my favorite. Snake Eater is a better game but I don't have the same attachment with it as I do MGS2.
1366250809998.gif

I remember checking it out a while back. It doesn't have the same appeal to me as Lil Gotham. The great thing about Lil Gotham is that it's an all ages book but still has just as much (or, more, actually) appeal to older readers. Tiny Titans is pretty much a straight-up kids comic. There's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't really as enjoyable for me.

YESSSSSS. Read it ASAP. I need another person to join in with me in my absolute adoration of this book.

Child I was pushing that book long before you got on that train.

Boogiepop

The one by Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs. I don't think it's that new.

Ah, that's that first trade, then, looking at my books. It was... serviceable. Not sure I can say much better for it, from my recollection. Like one of those more so-so episodes of the Justice League show where you don't hate it but you forget about it pretty much right after watching.

For the most part Dredd can be read out of sequence, bearing in mind that he is a character that is slowly aging. Those books are mostly anthologies by the look of it so nothing really needs to be read in order. If you like those though, you would be probably be best served picking up some of the collected editions onwards. This is a reasonably good list of what to pick up, although it misses off some personal favourites such as the American Graffiti/Chopper/Oz stuff : http://io9.com/5944097/top-11-essential-judge-dredd-stories

Thanks! I'll go through them now then. I was thinking I'd have to buy more before going in.

Also thanks for the link, saved.

Li'l Gotham is both funnier than any comic I've read in ages and more emotion-inducing than any comic I've read in ages.
The Christmas issue hit me so hard. Poor Mr. Freeze... :'(

Seriously everyone. Read Li'l Gotham.

Edit: Oh what! Li'l Gotham Vol 2 came out earlier this month! It hadn't showed up in the IST search when I was placing my order last week. Noooooo
That is 100% going in my next order though.

https://www.comixology.com/Back-to-School-Sale/page/7875?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
lil Gotham full series for $8! PADs Young Justice! Check it out

Top Bottom